BTTF Ep 5: OUTATIME Predictions thread (Spoilers Warning!)

Comments

• I say again: He Can't.
    By the Standards of the BttF universe set up in BttF 2, if the Delorean leaves the Alternate 1985 they will travel into IT's future. So, here if FCB takes Edna forward from 1931 at this point, it will be a future where she and Emmet are not together, and not the Citizen Brown timeline, but not yet the "Real" timeline, due to the fact that Emmet has not won the Expo yet.

(also can I say how amazing it is that we have 3 versions of Doc Brown, and we have been given such an easy way to label them in Emmet, Doc and FCB. Great job on TellTales part, IMO)

It depends what the future of the current timeline is as emmett and edna have already broken up. But they could get back together and keep the FCB timeline intact. Or maybe the timeline has already gone back to the normal one and emmet shows that one to edna as the ghost of christmas yet to come would do to show her the error of her ways. That would convince her to take young emmett back.
  • edited April 2011
    I think he meant he's going to show her her original future where she's a sad old lady
  • edited April 2011
    jwalker30 wrote: »
    But remember, in episode one Doc says that failing at the expo was an important event in his life that helped him fuel his live of science, but FCB doesnt know that. Maybe FCB's plan will make young Emmett fail, and thus help the original timeline get back to normal.

No. What I think was meant by the experiment being a failure was that it didn't do what it was supposed to do and he didn't win the prize at the expo. It seems like FC Brown is planning on preventing even Emmett's ENTRY into the expo.
  • edited April 2011
    I think he already did prevent Emmett's entry.. if you recall as soon as Marty gets to the exp, Edna is arguing with Artie about Emmett's MISSING application form....
  • edited April 2011
    My theory is this:
    The Doc that got stuck in jail in 1931 was really FCB the whole time posing as the real Doc, and Marty was supposed to save the real Doc from the future, as is suggested by the 2 at the start of the "last time departed" time circuit in the delorean. As for the arsonist, I do not believe that Edna is the culprit, I believe there was just some random person called Carl Sagan that the police mistook Doc to be.
  • edited April 2011
    So... no one has mentioned this... but Marty broke Emmet and Edna up. But then why is FCB still around? Why didn't he disappear or change into the old doc? I think something else is keeping the FCB timeline still intact.
  • edited April 2011
    Emmett has yet to have the actual breakthrough at the expo that puts him down his destined path.
  • edited April 2011
    I think he already did prevent Emmett's entry.. if you recall as soon as Marty gets to the exp, Edna is arguing with Artie about Emmett's MISSING application form....

If you ask Edna later, she says that the form was finally located... in her purse. :)
  • edited April 2011
    If I may throw in my own 2 cents, which probably aren't worth the copper they're struck from.

Hearing the words "climatic chase through Hill Valley's Past, present and future" made me think 1994 and the launch of Back to the Future The Ride, which was exactly that. (If you don't know what I'm talking about buy the BTTF blu-ray or get the 2 disc CE of Back to the Future (part 1) DVD)
  • edited April 2011
    Hituro wrote: »
    So... no one has mentioned this... but Marty broke Emmet and Edna up. But then why is FCB still around? Why didn't he disappear or change into the old doc? I think something else is keeping the FCB timeline still intact.

Also to add to my previous post. What we're basically at now in the timeline is almost the decision point. To use BTTF1 as an example, we're at the point where George knocked Biff out and saved Lorraine. They were heading down the right path, but if George had lost his nerve and didn't kiss Lorraine at the dance, then likely Marty would've faded. It's the same here. In order to put the universe back as he remembers it and get back to his reality, Marty must ensure that Emmett finishes his contraption, enters the expo, and spectacularly fails, all while keeping Edna away from him.
  • edited April 2011
    I agree with you, the timeline is now at the pivitol point. It's the point of no return, we are OUTTATIME. (couldn't resist the outtatime bit).

Also, does anyone think it is possible that someone from the new timeline (if edna gets together with emmet) will travel back to 1931 to stop them getting back together, and sees marty and helps him out. maby jennifer becomes a toimetraveller instead of Marty. Then, at the end of ep5, after the timeline is returned to normal, doc FINALY tells us the stuff he didn't want to tell us in ep1.

About ep1+2 doc being FCB, if it was true, he would have been with marty in ep3.
  • edited April 2011
    So could it be that FCB convinces Edna that Marty(Michael Corleone etc.) is a time traveler and stop him from fixing the timeline.
  • edited April 2011
    So could it be that FCB convinces Edna that Marty(Michael Corleone etc.) is a time traveler and stop him from fixing the timeline.

Could be. We still haven't gotten an "I'm from the future, I came here in a time machine that I invented" line.
  • edited April 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    Could be. We still haven't gotten an "I'm from the future, I came here in a time machine that I invented" line.

So the possibility that Edna is going to be a time traveler is still open :D
  • edited April 2011
    i'm wondering who we chase through time,

citizen doc, edna, young emmett, evil marty ?

a possibility is citizen doc gets edna to crush on marty aka sonny crockett and thats why she spends all her time looking out the window...
  • edited May 2011

a possibility is citizen doc gets edna to crush on marty aka sonny crockett and thats why she spends all her time looking out the window...

That would be very innteresting, though it means marty or FCB could be the arsonist...which some say is unlikely as it isn't how BTTF works.

Michael J Fox is Canadian is better with this kind of thing.
    Btw, I think ep4 is the only time that the alternate version of a main character tries to change the past, so anything can happen.
  • Kamagawa wrote: »
    Also, does anyone think it is possible that someone from the new timeline (if edna gets together with emmet) will travel back to 1931 to stop them getting back together, and sees marty and helps him out. maby jennifer becomes a toimetraveller instead of Marty. Then, at the end of ep5, after the timeline is returned to normal, doc FINALY tells us the stuff he didn't want to tell us in ep1.

About ep1+2 doc being FCB, if it was true, he would have been with marty in ep3.

Unlikely but possible; the time circuits are on the fritz so the time machine could show up at any point in time with the automatic retreival system.
    doggans wrote: »

I think this very well may be the next lines of dialogue in the next episode. Remember the last thing he says is "tell me what you know about Michael Corleone"
    So the possibility that Edna is going to be a time traveler is still open :D

you bet

still up in the air, as i mentioned, there's the possibility of the delorean showing up at any point in time but the end of the last episode sets up doc and marty being up on opposite sides.
    Kamagawa wrote: »
    That would be very innteresting, though it means marty or FCB could be the arsonist...which some say is unlikely as it isn't how BTTF works.

Michael J Fox is Canadian is better with this kind of thing.
    Btw, I think ep4 is the only time that the alternate version of a main character tries to change the past, so anything can happen.

Thanks for the nod :) And no it cant be either of them as the arsonist; marty still hasn't been back at the point of the arson and FCB timeline hadn't happened yet.
  • edited May 2011
    Hey... at what point in Episode 4 did Marty tell Jennifer he's from a different timeline? It's there in the trailer, but strangely enough I've managed to miss it in-game... ???
    :eek:I hope not! That would easily rule out a second season anywhere down the road!

WHAT!!!??? Doc would DISAPPEAR from Marty's life, RUIN BTTF's status quo and put an end to a legendary friendship FOREVER... and all you care about is the SECOND SEASON!!!??? I just refuse to believe this, even for purposes of humour.
  • edited May 2011
    He says that Jennifer Citizen plus'ed is almost like the Jennifer in his timeline, but I think it will be in ep 5.
  • edited May 2011
    My mind processes it this way:

If the Citizen Brown version actually DOES prevent Young Emmett from ever going into science, THEN that Young Emmett would not grow up to the one who in 1955 invented the flux capacitor and so time travel would therefore NEVER happen as we've seen it.

That would cancel out the entire BTF trilogy and line of events as we've seen them - meaning Marty never would have ever met doc at the mall (the Twin Pines mall), never would have gone back to 1955, and so on... Doc NEVER would have gone back to 1931 in the first place and so an alternative Citizen Brown 1986 would not have existed.

And so, everything would have played out EXACTLY has it has up to the point because Edna-hating Citizen Brown and Marty would not have gone back to 1931 to prevent Young Emmett from doing everything the same way.

And we'd end up EXACTLY where Episode 4 has ended.

In a sense, it'd be a time loop - cancelling everything out and in turn giving us the same line of events.

The question is: How do we move on from here?

I wonder if Artie (rhymes with MARTY) and Trixie have anything to do with it. Maybe this Citizen Brown and Young Edna piece together who this Sonny Crockett is (since he's now told Young Emmett his real name is Marty), and what this time traveling may be doing... thus, they go after Marty. Maybe a trip to the future (either 1986 or a time-circuit mishap taking them to 2011 by mistake) offers a view, and somehow a version of Real Doc Brown or Time Train Brown Family gets involved to go back and help get things set -> resulting in that chase through time.

What is the real "mystery" that has yet to be solved? Who is the Arsonist, and why Doc really went back to 1931? He mentions at one point it was in part to solve the arsonist mystery, but he got knocked out by a brick in that process. But there was another scene where he's evasive and tells Marty he'll tell him when this all comes to an end.

Again, anything could really happen at this point.
  • Hey... at what point in Episode 4 did Marty tell Jennifer he's from a different timeline? It's there in the trailer, but strangely enough I've managed to miss it in-game... ???

It's in the optional dialogue and not as elaborate as in the preview.
  • edited May 2011
    Hey... at what point in Episode 4 did Marty tell Jennifer he's from a different timeline? It's there in the trailer, but strangely enough I've managed to miss it in-game... ???

It's in the optional dialogue and not as elaborate as in the preview.

I didn't see any optional dialogue with Jennifer mentioning that.
  • edited May 2011
    Hituro wrote: »

I think our preview of ep5 at the end of ep4 tells us they get back together. FCB makes sure this happens by telling her all he knows of Marty/Sonny Crockett.
    My theory is this:
    The Doc that got stuck in jail in 1931 was really FCB the whole time posing as the real Doc, and Marty was supposed to save the real Doc from the future, as is suggested by the 2 at the start of the "last time departed" time circuit in the delorean. As for the arsonist, I do not believe that Edna is the culprit, I believe there was just some random person called Carl Sagan that the police mistook Doc to be.

Impossible because 1) he's aware of Clara and the kids and 2) at the end of ep2, the emotional response from Doc suggests he doesn't have a clue how compatible Emmett and Edna are (let alone show any feeling toward her at that moment) and 3) he wouldn't have vanished upon arrival to FCB 1986.

I think FCB (from the ep5 preview) is going to see how the future pans out post-breakup and will realise yet again that Edna will corrupt Emmett.

For those saying that old Doc will just turn up somewhere without the timeline being relatively restored is absurd. I like the visit to 2011 idea though (even if I see no relevance to the main plot).

Has anyone realised that Emmett doesn't need to see Frankenstein now because he's already had the brainwave about lightning?
  • edited May 2011
    The more I think about it...

The more I think the only way to really, really set things "right" as we know it post-BTF Movie 3 with Doc traveling with family on the train is to stop that Doc from traveling back to 1931...

Everything appeared to be right once the movies ended. But then at some point, for a reason we don't completely understand at this point, Doc goes back to 31 - in part to explore the Speakeasy Arsonist Mystery.

So, maybe the answer is to prevent that Doc imprisonment as Carl Sagan in 1931 from happening. So maybe we have to go back to the arson itself and stop that. In order to get to that point in time, maybe that means Marty will have to chase Citizen Brown and Young Edna through time.
  • edited May 2011
    the bit that keeps playing in my head is when Marty questions Doc again in the hotel in episode 2;

Marty: - "You never did give me a straight answer as to why you came back to 1931"

Doc: - "Its urm *awkward look* 'personal' ....When this is over i'll tell you all about it"

Just what could he mean by 'Personal'? It could be interpreted a number of ways. He's definatley withholding something from Marty for whatever reason and his carefull choosing of that word seems best to describe it, because he nods to himself as he says it.

:confused:

Intriguing!
  • edited May 2011
    By the way, those of you who wonder if Doc's future changes because he now knows that he builds a time machine in 1985, that line of dialogue was entirely optional. Not only that, but Emmett doesn't believe him anyways.
  • tbm1986 wrote: »
    I think our preview of ep5 at the end of ep4 tells us they get back together. FCB makes sure this happens by telling her all he knows of Marty/Sonny Crockett.

Impossible because 1) he's aware of Clara and the kids and 2) at the end of ep2, the emotional response from Doc suggests he doesn't have a clue how compatible Emmett and Edna are (let alone show any feeling toward her at that moment) and 3) he wouldn't have vanished upon arrival to FCB 1986.

?

Also the last time we saw old doc was when he is realizing young emmett is 'sewing oats' with edna and the last thing he says is "great Scott, we've got to go back". He realizes what is happening (or at least could happen).
  • edited May 2011
    You start to...run out of time...and have to travel through time in order to get...everything right...but...at the very end their is a hint that their is something not quite right, precluding a new series of BTTF games.
  • edited May 2011
    Wait... it hit me.

FCB wants Emmett to be disillusioned with science, so he'll try to make Emmett's invention fail at the expo.

But it failed in the main timeline... but FCB doesn't know that! His mental alignment whatsit did NOT fail in his own timeline, as episode 3 established.

So FCB might wind up acting against his better interests here...
  • edited May 2011
    okay, tell me everyone..what do you think will happen with Doc and marty? near the end of 4, Doc is mad at Marty and drives off in the Delorean..where is Doc going? and do you think in 5 he will forgive and understand Marty because Doc is still smitten over Edna, I just want to know if at the end willDoc and is hair will come back to nornal the way things were?..also will 5 be the longest episode compared to 1-4?
  • edited May 2011
    HeroicJay wrote: »
    Wait... it hit me.

FCB wants Emmett to be disillusioned with science, so he'll try to make Emmett's invention fail at the expo.

But it failed in the main timeline... but FCB doesn't know that! His mental alignment whatsit did NOT fail in his own timeline, as episode 3 established.

So FCB might wind up acting against his better interests here...

I think it's more along the lines of prevent Emmett from even entering, from even gaining any recognition.
  • edited May 2011
    his hair will come back to normal?

I think that's the question that haunts us all.
  • okay, tell me everyone..what do you think will happen with Doc and marty? near the end of 4, Doc is mad at Marty and drives off in the Delorean..where is Doc going? and do you think in 5 he will forgive and understand Marty because Doc is still smitten over Edna, I just want to know if at the end willDoc and is hair will come back to nornal the way things were?..also will 5 be the longest episode compared to 1-4?

I hope its the longest but you never know. I do think the ending of episode 4 set up episode 5 being doc vs marty. But it may also be FCB and edna vs marty and another version of doc; either young emmett or old doc (marty goes to a place in time where old doc has travelled to such as 1885, 1931, 1955 or 2015 and burrows old doc to help him. )
  • edited May 2011
    I hope its the longest but you never know. I do think the ending of episode 4 set up episode 5 being doc vs marty. But it may also be FCB and edna vs marty and another version of doc; either young emmett or old doc (marty goes to a place in time where old doc has travelled to such as 1885, 1931, 1955 or 2015 and burrows old doc to help him. )
    In episode 1, it was established that it was pretty much retconned to 2025 (Remember when talking about when he found Griff vandalizing the duplicate delorean)

Sooooo Anywayyyy...

Sounds like FCB is a little pissed at Marty's insistence on restoring it to the timeline he came from completely. I can say with 100% certainty I have no f*cking idea what twists are going to happen at this point. I don't think Ep 4 really matched up any of our predictions.
  • edited May 2011
    In episode 1, it was established that it was pretty much retconned to 2025 (Remember when talking about when he found Griff vandalizing the duplicate delorean)

Sooooo Anywayyyy...

Sounds like FCB is a little pissed at Marty's insistence on restoring it to the timeline he came from completely. I can say with 100% certainty I have no f*cking idea what twists are going to happen at this point. I don't think Ep 4 really matched up any of our predictions.

What did that retcon??
  • edited May 2011
    I don't think Ep 4 really matched up any of our predictions.

well we kinda did think that FCB would go to 1931 with Marty, though I have no idea how they will solve the FCB issue without killimg him.

Also, by altering the timeline, the events in 1885 and 2015 don't happen and therefore the only way to get old Doc's help is to go back earlier in 1931 to when Doc was in the jail or hiding in the hotel.

Though this can cause another paradox because Doc may prevent the events of ep3 from happening. Though, to me, it seemed like doc new more of what was going on than what hw claimed
  • edited May 2011
    There is a much larger issue at stake here, guys.

Wish I could have obtained a better video for reference... Skip to the one-minute mark. Recall that 1955 Doc got freaked out by thunder while Marty's going through the rounds of trying to tell him about his fate. He grabs onto that statue at the last second to ensure that he doesn't fall.

Problem, though. That statue isn't there anymore - it fell right off in Episode 4. If we know anything about Hill Valley's priorities, the Clock Tower definitely isn't one of them and they might not even try to replace that statue. So, if Emmett's ultimate future right now results in building that time machine as he's supposed to, then Marty actually does end up in 1955 - setting into motion the events of the first film. ...but Doc won't have a statue to grab on to this time.

It's a possibility that Doc could accidentally die in 1955 as a result of this displaced object, making it one of those major events that Marty needs to change in the fifth episode.

EDIT: ACTUALLY, in hindsight... the fact that both statues fell kinda implies that they would be replaced by lions prior to 1955. Still, it's an interesting thing to consider and it seems unlikely that Hill Valley would ever put statues of Einstein there unless he did something inspiring.
  • edited May 2011
    Let's just see the train this time. :P
    (think the grown up kids will come to the rescue?)
  • edited May 2011
    Let's just see the train this time. :P
    (think the grown up kids will come to the rescue?)

they won't. if it was passible, FCB would have said that he hid the delorean in estwood ravine, not clayton ravine.

the only possibility is, if the timeline will now end in another timetraveller, then he/she might help marty stop edna and emmet getting back together.

The other possibility is to go back further in the past and set events in motion that wont cause a paradox and will prevent FCB from succeeding.
  • edited May 2011
    What did that retcon??
    It retconned the 2015 date to 2025 in the BTTF storyline
Sign in to comment in this discussion.