BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

Comments

• edited June 2011
    not bad and i agree, is short.... i except game is on half when ended....
  • edited June 2011
    Short, but very very sweet.
    I don't know, when a story ends, I usually can forgive many stuff (and the game did have some bad bugs). And yeah, it did give me a sensation of accomplishment at the end and some good laughs! :D

Of course, people will start making theories about this and that and probably analyse everything, but I really enjoyed it. :)
    It's a good thing a pink Delorean didn't appear with a kinky Marty in it :p
  • edited June 2011
    Did you guys play this on PC or Mac?
  • edited June 2011
    A bit of a convoluted mess but those last 2 minutes made up for it.
  • edited June 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    Did you guys play this on PC or Mac?

Mac.
  • edited June 2011
    That episode was strange. But those
    Marty Clones
    were hilarious.

I really wonder if they will make a Part 2. Also i loved the BTTF 1 style ending.
  • edited June 2011
    Okay, could someone please explain to me...
    ...from where the hell did Doc and the DeLorean come from?!
    And why the hell did Edna's DeLorean implode?!
  • edited June 2011
    I can only imagine that the people complaining about every little detail of this game weren't true BTTF fans.
    Having anything even approaching standards with regards to adaptations of a work you enjoy is nothing even close to "not being a fan".
  • edited June 2011
    It was a good episode with some good fun twists in it and having Michael J Fox playing 4 characters (if you count the three Marty clones separate characters) in the episode was a real bonus too plus the 'To Be Continued...' caption at the end which I hope means they will do a second season
  • edited June 2011
    Having anything even approaching standards with regards to adaptations of a work you enjoy is nothing even close to "not being a fan".

And, in my honest opinion, they haven't done anything that would come close to not being a great adaption to the movie. I felt like I was watching a 4th movie. All the twists and such were planned perfectly.
  • edited June 2011
    Mino_Dan wrote: »
    Okay, could someone please explain to me...
    ...from where the hell did Doc and the DeLorean come from?!
    And why the hell did Edna's DeLorean implode?!

If you go back and pay attention to the little details in the first game, you'll see the answer to your first question.

As to the second question, Doc explains it right there. The timestreams need to catch up.
  • edited June 2011
    The game is a good adaption of the movies. I really liked it.

Although for my taste there were too many timejumps, especially towards the end. overdone a bit...
  • edited June 2011
    I loved the ending it was so hilarious and
    edna got what she deserved can't believed she ended up marrying kid tannen.. yep she was crazy as hell
    but it was very enjoyable for me and definitely worth the wait!
  • edited June 2011
    The episode got to be pretty good from 1876 and onwards.
    That was a good puzzle in the saloon, with great ambiance. The only thing that drags it down is the awkward camera angles by the window and the fact that you couldn't walk over to the ladder in the narrow walkway behind the bar.
    The Delorean chase puzzle was very clever. Again there was good ambiance and like the saloon puzzle there was a degree of suspense we haven't seen too much in these 5 episodes.

But there are many things that unfortunately make it a sub-par product.
    First, my thoughts on the puzzles:

The first sequence is in essence just a movie with the only respite being chasing down the accumulator. And there all you do is run after it and climb the lamp post and use timing to grab it. That's not a puzzle, it's not even worth interrupting the collection of cutscenes just to click through that.

Another thing that bugged me is that I was trying to figure out "How to get these tickets so I can get through the turnstyles", and then I get very disappointed when all I had to do was...choose the right dialogue option and she just gives them to you. No unlikely combination of everyday items or unconventional puzzles involved.
    Puzzles that are triggered by dialogue or puzzles that have you click on one thing to start an event are generally so by bad design, and there are quite a few of those.

There are a few glitches/bugs in the game as well; I got a glitch in the glass house: I magically teleported from the first to second floor and couldn't get out so I had to reload.
    And the hat you have to put on the cactus; I was looking for it and it turned out it was lying on the ground way off the location where Edna placed it. And yet in the little cutscene when Marty picks it up it is in the correct location.
    In addition to this there are a ton of invisible walls in the expo hall, very annoying to have to deal with that in addition to the bad camera angles.

Graphics-wise I have to say I'm very disappointed. The lip-synch is bad enough, but the animation of the characters walking and talking is laughable. The animation is so robotic you'd think the game actually was created in 1931. And that's no exaggeration. There is just no effort put into this aspect.

And I also want to poke holes in the actual story line. When Edna took the time machine, she went back and burnt down Hill Valley in 1876, right? And somehow the whole city magically disappears? Look...if Hill Valley was burnt down then there wouldn't be a whole bunch of nothing there, there would actually be ruins. It's impossible for there not to be remnants of the former Hill Valley. You can't erase everything.
    And where would people live? You telling me they wouldn't rebuild? Surely there had to be settlements and people at the very least.
    And Edna just supposedly goes nuts and abandons a working time machine, never to use it again? Yeah right. I don't think that story line was very well thought out. You sacrificed too much realism for the sake of convenience there, Telltale.

So that's my view. The ending was decent and there were some good moments with puzzles and good dialogue that actually were well designed. But a few good points cannot excuse the majority of the season that has undeniably been a complete failure.
    I really hope that Telltale have learned from this and that they are actually clear-headed enough to see their own mistakes and where they went wrong in this endeavor.
    I'd say learn from your mistakes and put this game in the past where it belongs now. Take the good aspects and use it to make better games in the future, avoiding the pits you stepped into in this project.
  • edited June 2011
    the game itself was ok, it felt a little bit rushed but it has a Amazing ending, wouldnt expect it in a million years! haha, really weird about
    all those marty's though =p
  • edited June 2011
    At the very end of the game after the credits.. TO BE CONTINUED.... Pops up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does this signal a green light for a season 2?
  • edited June 2011
    asyncus wrote: »
    any gamer even a fan would tell you that
    Wrong.

I liked the series, even though it wasn't as strong puzzle wise. The writing, voice acting and the plot itself were fantastic though. And I'm both a gamer AND a huge BTTF-fan.
  • edited June 2011
    Wrong.

I liked the series, even though it wasn't as strong puzzle wise. The writing, voice acting and the plot itself were fantastic though. And I'm both a gamer AND a huge BTTF-fan.

This, other then the bugs and such, I enjoy it, but you know, these people who complain about it such as that, I'm going to LOVE and TOLERATE the s**t out of them, mainly cause it's their opinion.
  • edited June 2011
    At the very end of the game after the credits.. TO BE CONTINUED.... Pops up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does this signal a green light for a season 2?
    Who knows....the first film has this at the end.
  • edited June 2011
    If you go back and pay attention to the little details in the first game, you'll see the answer to your first question.

As to the second question, Doc explains it right there. The timestreams need to catch up.

With what exactly is the timestream catching up. What happened that would negate this DeLorean out of existence?
  • edited June 2011
    And just because you didn't like it, you shouldn't assume everybody else didn't either ;)
  • edited June 2011
    And just because you didn't like it, you shouldn't assume everybody else didn't either ;)

^^^ i totally agree with you.. i absolutely loved it! felt like watching a 4th movie!
  • edited June 2011
    Been a fan since childhood. I like the game series, the story plot was excellent, the voice acting was god too. I say this was a decent BTTF game, compare to the crappy ones from the 80s and 90s. Overall, I like it.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, big surprise, it's a wrap-up review thread, and both negative as well as positive comments are welcome even though some points might have been heard somewhere else.
  • edited June 2011
    irishhips wrote: »
    Been a fan since childhood. I like the game series, the story plot was excellent, the voice acting was god too. I say this was a decent BTTF game, compare to the crappy ones from the 80s and 90s. Overall, I like it.

WOW, You took the words right out of my mouth... i'd take telltale's renditions over LJN's anyday!!! this was completely breathtaking and i'm glad that
    heffa edna got everything she had coming to her, although she shoulda stayed in jail for all the hell she caused [/spoiler]
    but all in all loved it.. and i def will be playing the entire series over and over again!!!
  • edited June 2011
    With what exactly is the timestream catching up. What happened that would negate this DeLorean out of existence?

Well, in the first, he explains that the DeLorean was created from the lightning hitting it, so it existed out of the timelines being altered (explaining why it didn't disappear when normal Doc was erased and Marty arrived in alternate 1986).

So I'm assuming that even though the DeLorean was able to be unaffected by timeline changes, that either:

A. It was bound to be erased after a period of time by the time-space-continuum trying to correct itself somehow.

or, unlikely because it's highly contradictory:

B. All the timeline changes that on numerous occasions would have prevented Doc from becoming Normal Doc and going through the lightning-strike experience, thereby preventing the duplicate from existing, caused the duplicate to continuously degrade. But if you accept this, then you have to come up with why it would still degrade after the timeline is essentially restored.
  • edited June 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    And Edna just supposedly goes nuts and abandons a working time machine, never to use it again? Yeah right. I don't think that story line was very well thought out. You sacrificed too much realism for the sake of convenience there, Telltale.
    Actually, it probably burned down with Hill Valley. Hence why it was in such a state outside of her house.

Anyway my view on the game:
    I tried not to look at it as a game, and I succeeded, particularly with this last episode since there were so many cutscenes. In my opinion, games that are mostly story based aren't any worse than those based around gameplay. This felt more like Back to the Future 4, which is what most fans wanted. including myself (although DEFINATELY not live-action, that'd mean replacing most of the actors, which is why this was perfect - even though Michael was replaced...). I've been obsessed with Back to the Future for almost my entire life, a geeky admition is that I know every line in the film pretty much word for word (I only watched each of them about 20 times, it's not that bad!).

I wasn't planning to finish this episode in one playthrough. Turns out I did though. I got so sucked into it I didn't even notice the credits, just "to be continued".

I had more fun playing this than any game I've ever played, and I play a lot of games. The puzzles were simple and a lot of it was just down to trying things until you got it right (like talking to Trixie to get the tickets). But hey, like I said, in this case the story is so good you don't need to look at the gameplay.

Oh and it was a little annoying not seeing Clara, Jules, or Verne (well... Verne... I wouldn't have minded if he was... off-screen).

10/10, even with the slight complaints.

No wait hang on, where was Marty's black tank top and bowling ball head? Where were all the bee's, bully's and... uhh... hoola hoop girls?
    back_to_the_future.png
  • edited June 2011
    The finale was a convoluted mess storywise. And I still don't get from "when" exactly our Doc returned with his DeLorean.

Logically it has to from somewhere before the series started. But that would negate the whole series in the first place.

Weak writing in its most awful incarnation!
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    Calm down there dude, they're looking into it.

Anyways, something Citizen Brown did right at the beginning surprised the Hell out of me, I would post what it was, but I don't know how to put the spoilers label over my text.

It's really easy, dude. Just put [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] around your text without the spaces and you're golden.
    LIKE THIS!
  • edited June 2011
    Just finished it.

Way better than Double Visions. Great work on all the dialogue and the voice acting. And you managed to answer every question I had during the series. Some were kind of obvious like Edna being the arsonist or Trixie = Sylvia, but I never expected Doc to write a book about his best friend's family roots. That was touching.
    There were some pretty hilarious moments too, like the Xbox 360 headsets and Doc's comment how he got them. :D
    And I felt very bad for FCB, although in Episode 4 and the first half of this he got all out Magneto on us.

Pretty satisfying ending. Edna being married to Kid was a surprise. It became a bit odd with all the Marty clones from alternate realities.

And Michael J. Fox sounded great. Good job of giving him a supporting role.

Nonetheless, the "To be Continued..." got me intrigued. I'm definitely looking forward to more BttF from you guys.
  • edited June 2011
    It's really easy, dude. Just put [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] around your text without the spaces and you're golden.
    LIKE THIS!

Thanks very much! I thought it was probably something as simple as that. *face hoof*
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    This, other then the bugs and such, I enjoy it, but you know, these people who complain about it such as that, I'm going to LOVE and TOLERATE the s**t out of them, mainly cause it's their opinion.

You just made this thread 20% cooler.

On topic, enjoyed everything...except the bunch of Martys at the ending. That was just too bizarre.
  • edited June 2011
    The finale was a convoluted mess storywise. And I still don't get from "when" exactly our Doc returned with his DeLorean.

Logically it has to from somewhere before the series started. But that would negate the whole series in the first place.

Weak writing in its most awful incarnation!

I'm pretty sure that the day he got the key to the city, he opened up the picture and realized it was Marty who was Callahan. Then took his DeLorean to get Marty.

So yes, this logically means there was a timeline where Marty was left to rot in the past.
  • edited June 2011
    forummouse wrote: »
    You just made this thread 20% cooler.

On topic, enjoyed everything...except the bunch of Martys at the ending. That was just too bizarre.

After reading a few of the post here, I can't wait to get to the end and see what shinagins goes on.

Also, glad someone got the reference, heh.
  • edited June 2011
    So did anyone else stick around after the credits? Does this truly mean what I think it means? If so, I am happy.

Also,
    If Edna is Biff's stepmom, then that makes Principal Strickland his step-uncle. They didn't say how long Kid and Edna had been married, but this kind of puts Biff's and Prinipal Strick's relationship in the second movie under a different light, doesn't it? (Assuming Kid and Edna were married by 1955)
  • edited June 2011
    dmcman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the day he got the key to the city, he opened up the picture and realized it was Marty who was Callahan. Then took his DeLorean to get Marty.

So yes, this logically means there was a timeline where Marty was left to rot in the past.
    Exactly, that must have happened between BTTF3 and BTTF-E1.

Which means that Doc never went to 1931 in the first place...negating the whole videogame series...but then why did have the gift for Marty in the end of the episode?!

Messy!
  • edited June 2011
    Jexius wrote: »
    Actually, it probably burned down with Hill Valley. Hence why it was in such a state outside of her house.

The amount of buildings we're talking about, they don't burn down that fast. Even if we assume for one insane moment that the fire brigade or inhabitants or whatever can't get a fire under control before it has consumed an entire city, there's plenty of time to get the car and skedaddle before even the saloon burns down. Even in 1876, they'd definitely be able to save something of the town.
    And even if the car isn't in a completely open area for the car to catch fire it would still take some doing (burning debris falling on top of it and igniting the gas tank for example), but it would still not be hard to get it out of there in time. No reason to park it right next to the building you want to burn down right? Stands to reason it would be parked a bit out of the way.
    10/10, even with the slight complaints.

Doesn't 10/10 imply a perfect product? How can you rate it like that when even you admit there are flaws?
  • edited June 2011
    Call me an old softy but when Michael J Fox appeared, I had goosebumps all over.

I had to complete it one sitting, as it was gripping.

Out of ten, I give the whole season a nine - the only let down was the difficulty.

Hopefully see you in two years, and hopefully with more of Michael J Fox and maybe Tom Wilson.
  • edited June 2011
    I just restarted and got through the glasshouse.
  • edited June 2011
    I finished the game and it had a great and somewhat strange ending.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.