BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    I feel like I spent far more time watching extended cutscenes than I did actually interacting with stuff.

It makes me sad when two characters are having a conversation, and my sole input is to click the single available dialogue option when they pause for breath.
  • edited June 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    1.Which Delorean did Doc arrive in? If it was a past one, this would cause a paradox surely.
    2. Why did Doc get the key to the city? and why couldn't Emmett read the newspaper clipping until that event occured?
    3. When did the new Doc arrive from? Considering he has no knowledge why Marty is in 1931, it must have been before episode 1, between the time that Doc got arrested and when he as researching Sylvia?
    4. Why did Doc erase? Is it because he was the "first citizen" one and he never existed because he doesn't marry Edna anymore, and the alternate timeline is no more?
    5. Why do you think there are 3 future Marty's tracking down Doc? What a cliffhanger.

1. It's an alternate. At the end of epsiode 2 when original Doc is erased, so is the timeline that car came from and the "temporal degradation" Doc mentions starts and eventually catches up and gets erased at the end of episode 5. Meanwhile, when Marty restores Doc's timeline and "new" Doc arrives, it's in a Delorean which has replaced the one being erased (or a "past" version of the one that gets erased) as it comes from a new 1986 where Doc hasn't yet gone back to 1931 and kicked off the events that started episode 1.

2. Doc just gets the key to the city for being a great scientist and stuff. You know he gets a commendation in 1985 (as shown by the newspaper in BTTF2) so he must just get awards all the time. Emmett just doesn't read the newspaper from 1931 all the way to May 1986 because he promised not to.

3. Yes. He comes from the new 1986 after Marty restores Doc's timeline, but hasn't done that trip back to 1931 to research Sylvia, probably because he was too busy getting a key to the city. And that explains the car as well in question 1.

4. Yes. Citizen Brown never exists because his timeline is erased when Marty brings Emmett back onto the path of science and he never marries Edna.

5. Because they can.
  • edited June 2011
    I was paying close attention to all of the details and was thinking 4th dimensionally, so I don't see any plot holes.
    At the start of the game before Episode 1 starts, Doc used it to travel back to 1931, was framed into being arrested for the speakeasy arson as Carl Sagan and is killed. Meanwhile, the Delorean is still in 1931. Einstein hops into it with Edna's shoe and it automatically activates the emergency protocol that takes it to Marty and episode 1 begins.

Doc explains that it's a temporal duplicate created during the lightning strike in Back to the Future 2 and that he found while doing his time travelling adventures that you don't see on screen.

You use this Delorean all throughout the game episodes but when Doc is erased at the end of episode 2, that Delorean becomes an anachronism and its days are numbered - the timestream starts to erase it because Doc never invented it. But this is really slow because that car has travelled all over time and it will take a while before the temporal degradation catches up to it.

But that allows you to go through episodes 3 and 4 while alternate Doc (Citizen Brown) fixes it up with Doc's notebook (which gets erased afterwards by the timestream catching up).

Then when you restore Doc's timeline, a new 1986 is created with a new Doc, that is virtually the same as the original Doc and has had the same experiences of Back to the Future 1, 2 and 3 but slightly different except that he lives there part time with Clara and the kids and has had his relationship with his father repaired.

This Doc possibly hasn't done the trip back to 1931 and got arrested and killed as Carl Sagan. He instead gets the key to the city on the same day that Marty leaves May 1986 because that's where the newspaper came from - alternate May 1986 and changes when the timeline changes. He goes back to save Marty in his Delorean, which is now an alternate timeline version of the same temporal duplicate from the start of the game...

Which is why the old one disappears - the old one is erased because it is from a timeline that ceases to exist. The "new" one is the same one from a timeline that takes its place - one where Doc hasn't gone back to 1931 and got killed.

And at the end of episode 5 now that the Sylvia mystery is cleared up (and he was there to see it and learn about it) he gives Marty the finished book.

That would still erase EVERYTHING that we experienced during Episode 1 to 4.
  • edited June 2011
    Lauren1991 wrote: »
    Kaldire you have to restart your game and make sure you don't enter the glass house before you talk to the Diver about where Emmet and Cit. Brown is. Actually, do the glass house thing before you even phone Edna. It kind of sucks, but restarting the game when you know exactly what to do won't take very long.

Overall I liked the episode, but
    Where the heck was the travelling to the future part?! It said in the description that this was a grand adventure to Hill Valley's past, present and future! I was really hoping we'd get to travel to 2011 or something.
    Oh well. Still had a lot of fun playing through these episodes.

not cool... way not, i did the edna phone thing first. but I did talk to the diver, if you dont the quest wont even trigger, says no one is in the glass house. this is not a bug i will RESTART over.. screw that sorry
    this should be addressed on the pc end.. make a new exe and end this nightmare.. its hell for a small game sode' to have this huge of a flaw to where youd have to RESTART...
  • edited June 2011
    1. I'm assuming it has to be a past one; it cant be a future one especially since in one timeline, edna lets it rot for 60 years. It wouldnt cause a paradox if doc eventually puts it back or replaces it with ednas delorean (we dont know where the one she uses to get back to 1931 goes back to)

I think a good way to look at it is that the Delorean that disappears came from the old version of the present (May 1986). And the new one that takes its place comes from the new version of the present.

They are the same car, except that in one timeline Doc takes it back to 1931 and then Marty use it, and in the new timeline Doc doesn't take it back to 1931 until after reading the newspaper Marty gave him.

Then when you do the whole flux sync thing they both come into temporal alignment and the old one disappears because they are essentially the same and can't both exist at the same time.
  • edited June 2011
    I hope they hire a new writing staff in time for the 2nd season.
  • edited June 2011
    Mino_Dan wrote: »
    That would still erase EVERYTHING that we experienced during Episode 1 to 4.

But it doesn't - because those things all still happened to Marty and those alternate timelines and alternate Docs all still existed and HAD to have existed (or else there's a paradox) before being erased.

E.g. like in the movies where they dump Jennifer and Einstein in an alternate 1986 but when they restore the timeline Jennifer and Einstein are still there in the same location even though the timeline changed around them.

Or when they bring things like newspapers and photos around with them that change. At the end of back to the Future 3 when the "You're fired!" fax is erased, the message is erased but not the paper itself... suggesting that they still travelled to the future and got that paper, but then when they changed the timeline the stuff on the paper changed but not the fact that they travelled to the future and got the paper in the first place.
  • edited June 2011
    Who enjoyed the Flux Puzzle at the end. I mean the lining up with the signal of Doc's DeLorean. It was quite unique.
  • edited June 2011
    zelda42293 wrote: »
    Who enjoyed the Flux Puzzle at the end. I mean the lining up with the signal of Doc's DeLorean. It was quite unique.

I think that would have been better suited with an analog stick, but it was a nice twist in the gameplay I guess.
  • edited June 2011
    My god did I love this game. Spoilers ahead!

I shed a tear of joy when I heard that woosh woosh BAM sound and the DeLoarean turning to the driveway just like in the first film but with Marty inside "you gotta come back with me".. Well it went kinda far what happened next but when Doc and Marty - with Marty driving reversed to the driveway and going airborne, turning around and hitting 88mph to the screen... I almost cried when Back in Time started to play. And smiled though the whole credits.

Did you notice the little attitude at 1931 near end when William appears and says to Marty not to mess with the McFly family. It's like Michael J Fox saying that to A.J in real life with a little wink. I guess it's meant to look like that :)

The game had it bugs and weird things happening but it didn't mess up my enjoyment. I can live with them.. for example 1931A with the old Edna holding those Algae Cakes in her hand for the whole time after I gave them to her, the box of cakes was glitching and going through objects.
  • edited June 2011

Let's be honest, it wasn't exactly a 'puzzle'. In fact, it wasn't much different from a basic Flash game made by a 12 year old.
  • edited June 2011
    Kale wrote: »
    The game had it bugs and weird things happening but it didn't mess up my enjoyment. I can live with them.. for example 1931A with the old Edna holding those Algae Cakes in her hand for the whole time after I gave them to her, the box of cakes was glitching and going through objects.

That happened to me too! :p
  • edited June 2011
    Kale wrote: »
    Did you notice the little attitude at 1931 near end when William appears and says to Marty not to mess with the McFly family. It's like Michael J Fox saying that to A.J in real life with a little wink. I guess it's meant to look like that :)

That's what I thought, too. But man, A.J did a fantastic job here. I really wouldn't have known the difference if I never knew who the voice actors were.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh, Telltale. Every time I doubt you, you always put my fears to rest. While I was a little disappointed in this series for a while, to me, Episode 5 made up for everything. The budget was right on the screen and it felt like a long, busy and epic story after the shockingly short, empty and dull Episode 4. There were some truly emotional moments, it was great that
    everything got wrapped up and absolutely everyone got a happy ending, and the deconstructive humour was genius
    . Finishing with
    a tribute to the original film and Huey Lewis over the credits
    ended the series on a perfect note. And bloody hell,
    Michael J. Fox and A.J. LoCascio sounded identical.

Let's give a big hand for Telltale! :D
  • edited June 2011
    I stayed for the entirety of the credits. Without hoping for a special snippet. Just content with the music.

Episode 5 was awesome, woo!
  • edited June 2011
    vadvaro wrote: »
    I have a question, maybe I missed the answer in the game...the question isn't a spoiler but the answer might be.

Why did the DeLorean go off kilter in the first place at the beginning in 1985 (when it and Doc disappeared and Doc says "Marty, I'm sorry."). Do they ever explain why the time circuits were acting up?

Not sure about the beginning but around episode 3 if you check the notebook after you discover that doc is fcb, marty mentions that the only page left is the flux capacitor page... fcb comments on this as well, so when fcb eventually fixes the delorean, it's time circuits are jacked up mainly because he didn't use titanium, he mentions this in 1931 by stating that titanium won't be invented/discovered for 10 years or so (quoting off the top of my head) so I would assume that this is why edna's delorean was f'n up because of that delorean was ceasing to exist because it was the one that was duplicated from the one that original doc created.. hope i made sense here :) LOL
  • edited June 2011
    Not sure about the beginning but around episode 3 if you check the notebook after you discover that doc is fcb, marty mentions that the only page left is the flux capacitor page... fcb comments on this as well, so when fcb eventually fixes the delorean, it's time circuits are jacked up mainly because he didn't use titanium, he mentions this in 1931 by stating that titanium won't be invented/discovered for 10 years or so (quoting off the top of my head) so I would assume that this is why edna's delorean was f'n up because of that delorean was ceasing to exist because it was the one that was duplicated from the one that original doc created.. hope i made sense here :) LOL

Sorry, the scene I was thinking of from the very beginning actually was just a nightmare Marty was having (but it was triggered by Doc being missing). I thought he was dreaming about a memory of their initial time travel test going haywire (though Doc saying sorry may have actually been future episode 3 Emmet apologizing for putting Marty through all of this and some how reaching across the space time continuum to him...or am I getting too "heavy"?)
  • edited June 2011
    so how many got that bug that wont let you continue in the house of glass? did i really pay for this game? this is the first episode im sad to say i bought.
    hope it really gets fixed i will not even be continuing the game unless it is.. and if not, well i wont know what happens i suppose. Or i can read .. but great job on paying for broken item.. I feel idk, like i just got a prostate check and im cold on a table in that gown and i cant get out of the glassss rooooom lol
  • edited June 2011
    If it comes with the same quality plot, Id definitely buy another round of game/episodes.
    Love it
  • edited June 2011
    Kaldire wrote: »
    so how many got that bug that wont let you continue in the house of glass? did i really pay for this game? this is the first episode im sad to say i bought.
    hope it really gets fixed i will not even be continuing the game unless it is.. and if not, well i wont know what happens i suppose. Or i can read .. but great job on paying for broken item.. I feel idk, like i just got a prostate check and im cold on a table in that gown and i cant get out of the glassss rooooom lol

Check the BTTF support forums. There is a savegame that fixes it. When the savegame resumes, just go into the glass house, and it'll work fine.

Telltale is currently working on a patched version to fix the problem.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, another season of BTTF? I'd buy that for a dollar. Or thirty. I loved the ending, and I hope they can get both Christopher Lloyd and MJF back. Don't get me wrong, A.J. should still be the main Marty, just have Michael play older versions of Marty and other McFly relatives. And if they could include Clara and possibly the boys, and maybe at least show Marty's siblings, and try to convince Tom Wilson to become involved.
    Anyway, a lot of the stuff turned out pretty much like I thought it would. I suspected ever since episode 2 that Trixie really was Marty's grandmother, and I figured Edna would get a happy ending. Her marrying Kid was an unexpected wrinkle, but a hilarious one.
  • edited June 2011
    AHHHHH YESSS!!! I'd just like to say i called it, the whole we gotta go back!! to be continued! nailed it, knew thats the only thing mr gale could have been referencing, sure made me say oh boy...

i really gotta replay the ending cuz i was blown away, everything was happening so fast! but it was awesome! and william?!?! MJF nailed it!!! absolutely pysched we're gettin more!!!! ok enough gabber... so psyched...
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, another season of BTTF? I'd buy that for a dollar. Or thirty. I loved the ending, and I hope they can get both Christopher Lloyd and MJF back. Don't get me wrong, A.J. should still be the main Marty, just have Michael play older versions of Marty and other McFly relatives. And if they could include Clara and possibly the boys, and maybe at least show Marty's siblings, and try to convince Tom Wilson to become involved.

Anyway, a lot of the stuff turned out pretty much like I thought it would. I suspected ever since episode 2 that Trixie really was Marty's grandmother, and I figured Edna would get a happy ending. Her marrying Kid was an unexpected wrinkle, but a hilarious one.

You literally took everything I was thinking and beat me to it. :D

But thank god they put that To Be Continued at the end, otherwise I would've gone crazy not knowing they were planning another season!

And having MJF voice not only Future Marty, but 3 Future Martys! Hilarious!!!

Take my money now Telltale - just get me back to the future, soon!! (Both the game and in the timeline. ;))
  • edited June 2011
    Awesome? How can you say it was awesome???

That doesn't do it justice by a long shot!!!! I loved every minute of it! A bit curious about the Tannen family know, but perhaps that can be covered later. And what an ending! I couldn't have thought of a better line to end it with.
  • edited June 2011
    i still want to know why 3 other martys are there, why they are in tron suits, and if it says to be continued does that mean episode 6?
  • edited June 2011
    My only problem with the episode (and I haven't listened to all of the dialogue yet, so maybe I just need to play through it again) was knowing where and WHEN the new Doc came from to arrive at that point after Emmett's failure at the expo.

He was married to Clara still, but he had gone to 1931 to learn about Sylvia, but then what about when Marty went to 1986A? Oh, time travel is confusing...

And that bug problem was a pain too, and the audio sometimes didn't sync with the mouths, but this was definitely a good time, and I can't wait to not only play it again, but to get my hands on season 2!!!!
  • edited June 2011
    Loved it! Hope these is another season.
  • edited June 2011
    Jenna wrote: »
    i still want to know why 3 other martys are there, why they are in tron suits, and if it says to be continued does that mean episode 6?

No, but it might mean a season 2.
  • edited June 2011
    Episode 5 was EPIC! At the ending I was so thriled about what was going to happen. The ending was so good that I just did sit in my chair and started laughing out loud hard.

I already said thanks in another threads, but as Shadowknight1 said, "Awesome" just doesn't do justice by a really long shot. Thanks again for all involved in this. It made me a very happy person as a true fan of BTTF trilogy.

I hardly can't wait for the second season. Well done, Telltale! Thanks again!
  • edited June 2011
    This was just great! i loved it!, even if there's not a sequel, i think the ending fits perfectly, because everything wraped up and we got the message that doc's and marty's adventures will never end, wich is kind of cool in some way =P i loved it! and im totally in for a sequel!
  • edited June 2011
    TellTale really hit out of the Park with OUTATIME they threw in everthing that we wanted in the Final episode(so far till season 2 if that happens) i called it that we were gonna see Doc's Father in the Finale, The Hoverboard, and the Ending was EPIC thats the Best way to Describe it.

The Cast was great AJ Locascio was Brilliant as Marty he sounded just Michael J Fox when he worked on the Films, Christopher Lloyd hasnt lost his step as Doc Brown it was so great to have him be part of this. Claudia Wells Reprising her role as Jenifer Parker with a punk rock edge was great, And Having Michael J Fox be part of the Finale was the Icing on the cake. And having Bob Gale giving a seal of approval just makes it that much better. Thank you TellTale for taking me back to my Youth and reminding me why i have been a Fan :D
  • edited June 2011
    Jenna wrote: »

Nope, another season.

But wouldn't it be cool if Telltale made 2 more seasons, to create sort of a Second BTTF Trilogy
  • edited June 2011
    But wouldn't it be cool if Telltale made 2 more seasons, to create sort of a Second BTTF Trilogy

i made that prediction earlier today, a trilogy to end it like the movie would be badassssssss!!
  • edited June 2011
    I thought this was a good episode. It's a pretty good conclusion and it tied up the loose ends in a farfetched way. I also liked seeing the Hoverboard again because that was my childhood favourite. My problem with the overall episode primarily is the fact that it's really really ridiculous. The Game in general has made a lot of loopholes in the Universe due to the end scene and it's a little hard to believe that Doc is okay with all of this. Although I have to admit as well that even though it was ridiculous with everyone having a happy ending I do think that is probably the only way I can see it ending. By far when Citizen Brown died, that was a really well done scene. Michael J Fox was a treat having him in the last episode and I was also right when his appearance especially at the end is more of a passing of the torch thing.

My idea of the sequel is that each of the Future Marty's are all a part of a different universe with the Tron Marty from the First Citizen Brown timeline, The future Marty from the current timeline, and Punk Marty from alternate 1985 with Biff. I would like to see the future since we haven't really visited it. I also think the next season will have Clara and the kids as part of the plot. Plus, I think everyone especially Bob Gale would love to see Slamball.
  • edited June 2011
    Thats it? I havent said much about the past episodes, but I figured with the build and hype of the finale there would be more to it, I did it in under 2 hrs, oh well! It was exciting all the way through though I have to admit just way too short.
  • edited June 2011
    By far when Citizen Brown died, that was a really well done scene.

By far, one of my favorite scenes from Episode 5.

BTW, I think the Doc that showed up came from the night that Kid was arrested. He knew when to come back to get Marty, but he didn't know why Marty was there. I think. I don't remember all of the options there when Doc asks why Marty was in 1931.
  • edited June 2011
    I LOVED this episode. I nearly cried when the alternate 1986 Doc faded away; the tone there was just too perfect. And I love how Doc was actually originally in 1931 to make a scrapbook for Marty, and I love how totally batshit insane Edna became. And I also appreciated the addition of more cussing. A little weird to be happy about, but still. It felt right. :)

That said, I can't say I liked the ending too much. The other Martys just seemed out of place, and kind of ruined the moment there between Marty and Doc.

Also, the "To Be Continued" sign, while a cute addition reminisciant of the movies, is probably just a joke. I remember Bob Gale saying that the ending of BTTF was just a way to leave the story open-ended; a sequel was never intended. Still, I would be thrilled to see a new story come of this. But I would also be totally happy to just settle with this fine game. It WAS pretty awesome. :D

-From the girl who has a BTTF collection to rival that of a museum <3
  • edited June 2011
    The Telltale team should be at least as proud of this as I am to be a fan of them ^_^
  • edited June 2011
    oh cheers mate!
    and no im not british or aus lol
    thx!! so odd no one caught this though...again, even if i did a 2nd pt passover like sb ep1.1 i would never let this slip heck no one woulda, ill have to beat it to see who the credits are on the testing ;P sssspankings for all (in merry lisp)
  • edited June 2011
    I apologize firsthand. It's one of THOSE reviews. I am sorry, but I did not like what Telltale did with their license. I may come to you as a hater, but I'm having my opinions. I think this whole season was a mistake on Telltale's behalf -for some reasons that I won't try to guess or judge-, but they're entitled to make mistakes and I'm not hating on them. Some say that this isn't the first and only mistake Telltale has ever done, but I don't give a damn. This was the first (and I'm hoping that the only) mistake of them that actually made me feel disappointed. So anyway, what made me feel disappointed? Why didn't I like this game? I'll explain in a calm manner, in detail.

Before disjointing the game into parts and analyzing them individually, I'll have to complain about something that spans on every different ingredient this game consists of. It did not feel like a season, nor it did feel like a movie. It wasn't a whole in certain aspects and the episodes weren't distinct from each other in other aspects. This wasn't the case for any previous season they whipped up for any other series; it had always been a whole, complete but yet in the end every episode was distinct. I can say the only distinct episode was Citizen Brown and it's true ONLY if you look at it storywise. Puzzles also make episodes distinct and memorable. The faceoff battle, calling Abe Lincoln using the bug, splitting the bust in half... But I don't think I'll be able to remember any of the puzzles in BTTF after a month or so. The ones from other games that I've listed? They'll stick right there. Characters also make episodes distinct from each other. Overall tone and feeling also makes episodes distinct from each other. And the episodes were, at the same time, disjointed. But this is truly and especially the fault of the story and I'll get right on that. I don't have a favorite episode in the entire season because every one single of them offers the same amount of boredom. During my review I'll majorly complain about these aspects of this game and branch it out from there, trying to deduce just why it turned out to be that way. Because the last thing I expected to completely baffle and alienate me (and at the same time, NOT to surprise or interest me) was a possible Back to the Future game. Well... Not the last thing, since with all the NES games and all... Oh well.

This game doesn't have good graphics. We know that and mostly, we didn't care about that. I DID NOT care about that. Plus the models of more rectangular/cornered shaped objects (ie the Delorean) that don't require much polygons and animations... were actually really, really great. The Delorean looks absolutely gorgeous. Unlike the most textures seen in this game, the texture detail on Delorean is also pretty lovely. Other than that, I just did not care about graphics at all and I still don't think it contributes to this game's subpar quality by any means. This game doesn't have a realistic visual style. I did not care about that. The style looked absolutely great. The concept arts and the drawings thrown in the game are so well done and enjoyable to look at. The 3D representation of this style looks a bit clunky and droopy on some characters but passable, yet it's a "style" so it doesn't matter if I don't fully agree with its appeal anyway. Style is an opinion, plus the cartoony style does fit Back to the Future franchise. I didn't expect a polygon fest and noone should've expected that; it would be a waste of effort because it's not BttF tries to give. This game doesn't have good animation, good scene editing and good lip sync. I CARED about that. Rotation of the characters on their places when they want to turn around, the same animations over and over, secondary characters' sad expressionless, lifeless and clunky behavior whenever they move their limbs, indecisive placement of characters EVERY TIME during a special full body animation comes in, oftenly resorting to shielding with foreground elements when a really complex animation is required... This gets me out of the game! In any scene, any frame, I could never take what's happening on the screen seriously. It is a video game and feels like a cold video game and looks like a video game just because of the animation quality. Which would be okay if it was not, well, Back to the Future. Because however the characters looks and whatever they do, in the movies, you believed in what they had been doing and how they felt like. The surprising thing is that empathy for videogame characters is something I am able to do, even for classic retro video games that they lack visual quality and even a semi-realistic setting. Why? I have no idea but one; in these video games they were doing what they could do and they tried to give the little details they wanted to give, by using whatever they have in their arsenal of game developing knowledge. It's clear that this game doesn't have everything Telltale has to offer. It just feels too planned out and cold. And animations -and ONLY the animations when it comes to the visual appeal of this game- raise that feeling a lot.

Gameplay... Oh boy. Well, before the main dish I'd like to point different aspects. The inventory having its own full screen throws me off of the game, and the navigation is just indescribably tiresome. I don't know why you guys needed to take a step back from being just able to choose whatever item you want in one click (or two if you have to scroll down) like in Sam and Max or ToMI. Yes technically you can choose the item in one click in this game as well, but to do that you have to use mouse wheel, and this means you have to navigate through every other item in between what you are currently looking and what you want to have, each jump of inventory item activating a short animation and a sound effect. This is just ridicilous and unrequired. The areas are completely inexplorable, filled with invisible walls and background elements that fool you by looking important at first sight, only to have no hotspots on them. Explore the game too much and it starts to bug out, little to no effort on putting neat easter eggs (there are easter eggs but are only hidden in character dialouge, and if the game was a little bit more interesting you would try to listen to any line of character dialouge ANYWAY, I mean, in Sam and Max games really funny hidden dialouge were there and weren't even the actual easter eggs), bla bla bla you know all those from Rather Dashing anyway. And, finally the one thing that everyone has been complaining about since the very first episode got released; the puzzles. There are NO good puzzles in this game. I mean it. No good puzzles. Some might come and say "but there are SOME hard puzzles here and there too". I'm not talking about the difficulty. Sure, MOST puzzles are easy and the game does insult you by slapping your face with the obvious solutions, but the hard puzzles have no kind of satisfactory value behind them either. You're restricted to have no kind of interaction with the most of background-foreground elements and you're forced to GUESS how the puzzle designer thinks like, because in many puzzles there are MANY possibilities that go through your head which may actually be doable if the game let you so, and gives no explanation they cannot be done in the way you were thinking of. The opposite also happens, in which case you trigger a totally unrelated event that somehow bends the physics SO HARD it actually happens to be what you actually needed the whole time. Physics do what they want to do and don't what they don't want to do. The same applies in cutscenes as well, although I'll talk about that in depth when I talk about the story, but in OUTATIME there was one bit Marty was talking to Danny about trying to figure out a way to arrest Edna while Edna herself was standing behind them -completely oblivious to what they were saying. Then when they start to talk about Emmeth, she starts to HEAR again and interrupts their conversation. The transmission of sound VARIES relatively to the topic they were talking about. Geez... I'm going off track.
    Yes, physics being ridicilous. Barrels unrealistically changing tracks, inanimate objects doing ridicilous things that mostly benefit you, and so forth. What they do is completely UNEXPECTABLE (or even improbable sometimes) before you do that, so you're forced to get the understanding of the puzzle WHILE you're solving the puzzle, and it's out of your perception; it's completely the game's perception that drives you here and there. After completing a puzzle you will never feel smarter. Because even in hard puzzles, game does whatever it wants and then tells you what to do. Marty isn't able to do ANYTHING in this game to the point the physics itself has to bend to do actually something worthwhile. Marty just has to hit a switch. This game just needs luck to be finished, not actual intelligence or perception of ingame environment. You don't even get to use many inventory items. Some puzzles just require you to use one item on one something and you can't even bring this item with you to other locations or sometimes can't even MOVE while holding them for NO reason at all. Don't say a burning damn stick is too heavy for Marty to at least walk around while holding. Or maybe physics make it unable for Marty to do so, I don't know. People picks on Runaway by having a puzzle in which you make bullets by combining lipstick shells and gunpowder, but even that makes sense compared to barrels changing direction of movement by 90 degrees in a matter of one single moment.
    And then there are special sequences where you have to use WASD keys and click on things when they're close to you or something. I don't know, they don't even make sense mostly but at least they give a little bit of a challenge and a sense of gameplay. You can get the same enjoyment by loitering around Newgrounds and playing a flash game, but this one has Marty and a young Emmett Brown hanging down ropes. They still don't have any sign of intelligence behind their construction but they're sadly at least a tad bit more entertaining than the rest of the gameplay any episode has to offer.
    TL;DR, the entire series lack any form of an interesting gameplay, if they contain any form of gameplay at all. So this means they rather worked on to offer great visuals (which I established that it certainly does not to the point it just can't be taken seriously, all the fault of animations) and a good story.

No. It doesn't have a good story.

The story is only good because it has Marty and Doc in it. It's mostly a dragged out love story (I prefer them being 2 hours long and that's it)-- wait, it's not a love story since you don't even see the love as they're skipped by the timejumps of Marty. At least we get to see the interesting time travelling bits and its causes instead. Yes, we do get to see them a lot. And I wish we didn't. The time travelling rules the movies established becomes so complex in this game because of the constant going back and forth, alterations and deaths and whatever, and yet the game fails to explain all the loose ends and plotholes, either by filling them with more nonsense (Doc having prepared more timebased gizmos that are coincidentally handy ONLY in the really convoluted situation they're in, being able to pinpoint EXACTLY WHEN the timeline is going to catch up with the second [first?] DeLorean, THE DUPLICATION THEORY of the Delorean) or not explaining them at all (The source of the DeLorean Doc comes up with to chase Edna [if it's the same DeLorean why it doesn't normally ripple the one Edna's using?], Marty overriding his regular self in Citizen Brown timeline instead of having a second Marty McFly around [and not being in a risk of changing personalities as the time catches up with him... Seriously, this "time catching up with you" thing was only there to fill in the plotholes in the movies but here it's like the entire plot device of the story]. The story does not build a tension and it's apparent in the places we've been in throughout the season. For the heck of making a comparison; in ToMI the game starts from the lovely shores of Floatsam Island and there you somehow find a way to get swallowed by a giant manatee with a beautiful pirate hunter and a long forgotten treasure hunter. In Sam and Max Season 3, you start from your neighborhood and you find yourself having a psychic battle with a doll on top of the Statue of Liberty. In BttF, you're told there is an expo coming on, and in the final episode, you're at the expo. Whoopdy yawnie doo. And the REAL climax wasn't even all that intriguing and exciting. To the point Doc had to say "oh I guess we have one hour or so to fix it or we'll die with the entire Hill Valley I guess" out of nowhere to make me care for them but... I couldn't even care for Doc and Marty because they were trying to make a semi-harmless old lady talk. The story was only intriguing in Citizen Brown episode because it gave us something different, exciting and a little bit wacky that Marty can oppose greatly and beat the odds. In contrast to that, throughout the game we're constantly battling what Edna causes, NOT Edna herself -until the very end. The problem is, except the change of authorities in the alternate FCB timeline she caused, she has done nothing that we don't want her not to do, other than having a relationship with Emmett and THIS is what we battle. I'm sorry, it's just not interesting. Even after making them break up we still get more of her constant bitching. She's not a threat by any means and what we battle is the emotions of people (and also, the emotions of everyone are just really inconsistent throughout the game, but it's always explained by the effects of time travelling so... I have mixed opinions on that one). It was good in the first movie because the lines of George and Lorraine were better and interesting, and Biff was a great villain. In this game George and Biff are basically the same person (Edna) minus the badass aspects. I'm sorry, I dragged it out for too long. Just I'm not saying that I don't like the story because I hate Edna; one of the reasons of why I don't like the story is that it revolves around Edna who doesn't bear any interesting personality aspects. You can't even hate her like you hate menacing, cruel villains, because she's presumably a good person too when she's not given buttons to activate weapons of mass destruction. Give me a break.
    The story does try to give tension in completely weird times, and to do that it resorts to BEND PHYSICS again. I just can't say WHY the pillars started to crumble out of nowhere just as Marty and Young Emmett were having a talk on the clock tower.
    All in all the story is baffling and alienating EVEN WHEN they make use of the time travelling. The game just feels too dragged out and simply we don't need a Back to the Future movie for that long. 2 hours long movie had action, thrill, romance, science fiction and drama in it and nothing felt too dragged out. In 10-15 hours of gameplay time romance is done wrong, drama is butchered in, there is no action and science fiction elements tries to evolve itself but at the same time tries to shield whenever it takes a daring step with unsatisfying explanations.

Voice acting is good. Such a waste.

Music is boring.

And I just can't type anymore. I'm sorry.

EDIT:

Btw;

http://i52.tinypic.com/909bg1.png
Sign in to comment in this discussion.