BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

Comments

• edited June 2011
    just finished the final ch. The maze had a bug that let you walk through a floor, which was little annoying but you could get though it if you were persistant. The puzzles where a little easy (except in the saloon that took me a while), but you really had to look for what to do next, (sci fi expo, edna delorean chase, edna's 1931). I was disappointed we didn't get to see Jennifer, Lorraine or Clara in the end. It was a fun few hours and I enjoyed it. I'm curious about the "To be continued.."
  • edited June 2011
    Just played it again, heres a few more things that i liked... :P

In the 5th episode you get the feeling right from the opening music that it was going to be a suspenseful one. The sound in general and musical atmosphere they gave certain scenes (such as snagging the recording device off Officer Parker's booth etc..) really put me on the edge of my seat. I thought Marty was caught red-handed for a second!

I liked how they really sold me to believe that FCB Doc really spilled the beans bigtime to Edna. When she told Officer Parker to call Marty by his "real" name was a mini hold your breath cliffhanger on its own.

Another thing that really intrigued me was how they showed us some of the consequences of when time travel gets into the wrong hands. I always been curious about what would happen if you changed the past too dramatically. Seeing Hill Valley disappear right in front of my eyes answered a LONG asked question, made me super happy :P

I loved how they left it open for MJ Fox to come back with a bigger, more relevant role as Future Marty. Present Marty will most likely still be the main character, but having MJF as Future Marty puts him right back in all the action. He did great in episode 5, he deserves to be tossed back into the action!!

I'm sure it wont be very soon, but i CAN NOT wait till "2"!!!
  • edited June 2011
    techie775 wrote: »
    just finished the final ch. The maze had a bug that let you walk through a floor, which was little annoying but you could get though it if you were persistant. The puzzles where a little easy (except in the saloon that took me a while), but you really had to look for what to do next, (sci fi expo, edna delorean chase, edna's 1931). I was disappointed we didn't get to see Jennifer, Lorraine or Clara in the end. It was a fun few hours and I enjoyed it. I'm curious about the "To be continued.."

Wait, it was an actual maze!?

When I played, the first thing I did was move the wall and then walk into the newly opened area. Then Marty glitched through the floor and I found myself somewhere with nothing to click on. In the end I just walked towards one of the walls and all over a sudden Marty came out of the bookshelf in the future house.
  • edited June 2011
    Tell me when the plans for the trip to the far future is. I'll play that game too.
  • edited June 2011
    Isn't it irresponsible for Doc to just leave the 3 Marty's to their problem? I find it hard to believe that 3 future Marty's from different universe's are able to co-exist. Shouldn't the alternate future Marty's start to erase once the time ripple effect has caught up with them? If the time line is back to normal alternate versions shouldn't exist, hence why "first citizen Brown" erased from existence. Thoughts?
  • edited June 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Isn't it irresponsible for Doc to just leave the 3 Marty's to their problem? I find it hard to believe that 3 future Marty's from different universe's are able to co-exist. Shouldn't the alternate future Marty's start to erase once the time ripple effect has caught up with them? If the time line is back to normal alternate versions shouldn't exist, hence why "first citizen Brown" erased from existence. Thoughts?

Doc himself pretty much lampshaded that when he said that the timeline should be tearing itself apart like a cheap cloth or something.
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    Doc himself pretty much lampshaded that when he said that the timeline should be tearing itself apart like a cheap cloth or something.
    ...so in other words.. So long.. you're all screwed.. Bye!! :D
  • edited June 2011
    Doc had a point though. The future's not really going anywhere. If they figure out what all has changed in the present, they can pinpoint what made the future so screwy.
  • edited June 2011
    Doc had a point though. The future's not really going anywhere. If they figure out what all has changed in the present, they can pinpoint what made the future so screwy.
    true but if a time ripple is in effect, then they are screwed.
  • edited June 2011
    One thing thats also been making me scratch my head...

The thing that Doc said at the very end kinda intrigued me a little bit. If it was discussed already sorry about it but...

When Doc said something along the lines of "We'll worry about the future later!! Right now we got a present to catch up with!!" Does that hint toward the second season being set mainly in the present day? (1986)?

What i was thinking was they said episode 5 will send us on a chase through the past, the present, and the future... well, stay with me here, what if the chase they refer to isnt actually the DeLorean chase at the end of the episode, but giving a hint toward the sequels to come. Season One for the most part, was based in the past, and at the end of the season doc said the quote above. So what I am thinking is...
    Season One = Past
    Season Two = Present??
    Season Three = Future??

Thats a pretty badass trilogy if you ask me!! Thoughts?
  • edited June 2011
    itssas83 wrote: »
    Season Two = Present??

Like... any other season that doesn't have any time travel aspects in it?
  • edited June 2011
    Loved it, didn't understand the ending, don't really care, super excited to hear Michael J. Fox. I was in LUUUUV with him when I was a little girl. Christopher Lloyd was great as well, great voice acting, super awesome music. I liked this episode a lot and overall I definitely recommend the game to any BTTF fan.
  • edited June 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    Like... any other season that doesn't have any time travel aspects in it?

hahaha true, point taken...

That one line Doc said tho at the end really felt like it was important. Now that you point it out tho i dont think im down with a "Back to the Present: The Future Can Wait"-esque season 2...

still just seems like an oddly placed line tho... as always, just thoughts :P
  • edited June 2011
    Wow ok. I HOPE this means a REAL season 2 with the full support of the voice staff. Including MJ Fox. (He was rather interesting to hear side by side with AJ. Its odd.. but how come AJ sounds like a better Marty now? o.0 )

The ending.. mind is blown...

One thing that made me cheer most.
    HOVERBOARD!!!

Thing that made me feel good and happy
    Seeing Doc come back with the newspaper

Tho.. does make me wonder... Doc not remembering about the Auto retrieval system... Anyways, heres hoping for a Season 2!
  • edited June 2011
    Strong season, altogether. Appropriate balance of open-endings and loose ends tied, in the end.
    Favourite episode: Citizen Brown. Social commentary through dystopia. It created a different vibe from the rest, which could have been explored in the movies. There was a bit of this in other episodes, but episode 3 was where we were able to reflect most directly on these issues. Might even reference it in a sociology class I teach.
    One thing this BttF season shows is how blurry the line between game and movie can get. In terms of puzzles and gameplay, these episodes seemed more straightforward than some other TTG. No real need for hints or walkthroughs, fairly little room to deviate from the storyline. But each episode was enjoyable in itself, as interactive entertainment, letting us explore some of the implications of the movie trilogy.

Good job overall.
    Glad to know some Canadian blood runs through the family.
  • edited June 2011
    I was a little disappointed about the finale.

What they promised: a climatic chase through Hill Valley´s past present and future
    What we got: another short adventure in the past, with a little epiloge video in the present and no single image from the future.

after all i have to say i wouldn´t buy a second season. This was my first Telltale game, just bought it because of the BTTF theme. But actually it wasn´t a game, i got a piece of text-clicking based software. But to hear the original actors in their roles was worth the money. The gameplay was the most stupid i´ve ever played, sorry but thats my opinion
  • edited June 2011
    Doc gone?! You mean in the game? He's back because when he came back in them different clothes he doesn't remember why Marty was still in the past.
    So the old Doc is back.
    With Citizen Brown was still round, he looked and sounded a little.... evil i suppose you can say.
    But yeah i can't wait for the new BTTF season! I mean you can't just put a "To be continuied" title on and not make the next season.
    That's just missleading. lol
  • edited June 2011

Not really though...Because what happens when one of the Marty goes further back into the past and alter things? Present Marty could be screwed.
  • edited June 2011
    I have to say that Edna was a great villain. She was annoying and her stealing the delorean,killing citizen brown, and burning down hill valley was completely unexpected!
  • edited June 2011
    ^
    Agreed.
  • edited June 2011
    makajo wrote: »

What they promised: a climatic chase through Hill Valley´s past present and future
    What we got: another short adventure in the past, with a little epiloge video in the present and no single image from the future.

after all i have to say i wouldn´t buy a second season. This was my first Telltale game, just bought it because of the BTTF theme. But actually it wasn´t a game, i got a piece of text-clicking based software. But to hear the original actors in their roles was worth the money. The gameplay was the most stupid i´ve ever played, sorry but thats my opinion
    Well adventure games aren't for everyone.
  • edited June 2011
    This game has been brilliant...loved the whole storyline

Definitely can't wait for a sequel

Keep up the good work :)
  • edited June 2011
    Well, I loved the game, just finished this morning. Episode 5 felt like it was the longest, but not the most tedious (that being episodes 3 and 4). I happen to like new Doc better
    what with him having an actual job and being able to bunker down in a single place, even for part time
    . Thank you guys for a great game, but I think you went a bit crazy with that ending.
    I mean, 3 future Marty's? It makes me think about when I sent Citizen Brown in the past 5 times, each for several hours. There must have been 5 Browns just sleeping around.
  • edited June 2011
    Originally Posted by makajo View Post

A chase through the past present and future you obviously didn't play the game then. The word future doesn't necessarily mean 2025, it just means time travel. If you take that into account then actually you do travel from the past to the future and the present. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2011
    Alstom1995 wrote: »
    A chase through the past present and future you obviously didn't play the game then. The word future doesn't necessarily mean 2025, it just means time travel. If you take that into account then actually you do travel from the past to the future and the present. :rolleyes:

Here is another spin on that, they go one day ahead (May 15th) to give time lag so they can catch up. That is a future ...
  • edited June 2011
    The game is brilliant in my advice even if I found that the end is a little bit messy! But as fan I loved it sincerely! :D It was like live again the feelings the movies gave me, the same good waves!
    So when I saw that "to be continue..->" ... I couldn't believe my eyes! I would really love for another game!! :D Go for it Telltale!! Amaze us one more time!
  • edited June 2011
    I think that the answers to all those questions will be answered in Season 2. It is meant to be a Cliffhanger, just like the Movies. I thought all 5 episodes were great and had me glued to my seat. It was great getting to live the Movies in the game. I am so glad they got Michael J. Fox to do the voices of some of the characters. The game was exciting, fun and very inventive and intense, it was so like the movies and I was so shocked to see "To Be Continued" at the end. I was so hoping they would do a season 2 and now I know they are and am so excited about it. I can't wait!!! They also gave you a glimpse in a way of Doc's past and how he started down the road to eventually creating the time machine. That was never really explained in the movies and it was great that they put that into the game. I'm only sad that now I'll have to wait for Season 2. I hope they start working on it soon. I'll just keep re-playing Season 1!!!.....lol
  • edited June 2011
    Right here is my review Telltale.

Firstly I just want to say the storyline was brilliant, it kept me immersed the entire time, and in later episodes it definately kept me on the edge of my seat. The writers were great and it was interesting seeing the evil side of Doc. Edna was a great villiain perhaps even better than Biff, she fooled everyone!

I like the sound too particularly the voice acting and music. They made you really believe that you're in an adventure, and the impersonators for the classic bttf characters did a great job particularly AJ and the guy that did George.

The graphics are fine and shouldn't be changed as they're definately suited to the bttf universe.

The only thing I didn't like about this game was the fact it was too easy!
    the puzzles could've been a lot harder and challenging; but I did like the word game with Matches.

Overall i'm going to give this game a 9/10 only because it was too easy!

Here's hoping for a season 2 :D
  • edited June 2011
    Just finished this. Nice game. A little too easy, but the story, dialogue and music makes it worth the while.

And there's this other thing and I don't know if it's good or bad: THE CONFUSION.
    I can piece the movies together in a logical way, but fitting this game into the patchwork is hard. Too many docs and Martys. Maybe it will all fall into place eventually. Hopefully before season two. Which I'm excited about. Just give me some harder puzzles.
  • edited June 2011
    Soracha wrote: »
    Just finished this. Nice game. A little too easy, but the story, dialogue and music makes it worth the while.

And there's this other thing and I don't know if it's good or bad: THE CONFUSION.
    I can piece the movies together in a logical way, but fitting this game into the patchwork is hard. Too many docs and Martys. Maybe it will all fall into place eventually. Hopefully before season two. Which I'm excited about. Just give me some harder puzzles.

Let me help you out with this.
    • Three movies happen as planned.
    • Episode 1 with a Doc that is in between movie 1 and movie 2 (at least this is the only thing I am not so sure on).
    • Marty's meddling in episode 1 kills hi, prompting him to fix it. Fixing it in episode 2 causes movie doc to never happen.
    • Due to this, the time stream needs to catch up (it does, but later on). This is a major aspect introduced, one I don't think the movie's included.
    • Think the rest through as being "time stream catching up" and it should be easy from there.
  • edited June 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    And I also want to poke holes in the actual story line. When Edna took the time machine, she went back and burnt down Hill Valley in 1876, right? And somehow the whole city magically disappears? Look...if Hill Valley was burnt down then there wouldn't be a whole bunch of nothing there, there would actually be ruins. It's impossible for there not to be remnants of the former Hill Valley. You can't erase everything.

You're not thinking 4th-dimensionally. Hill Valley in 1876 occupied a very small area around where the clock tower is. It hadn't expanded yet to to the location of the science fair expo, which is why there were no ruins where Doc and Marty happened to be in 1931.
  • edited June 2011
    Origami wrote: »
    Not really though...Because what happens when one of the Marty goes further back into the past and alter things? Present Marty could be screwed.

D'oh! Didn't consider that.
  • edited June 2011
    63cohen wrote: »
    Let me help you out with this.
    • Three movies happen as planned.
    • Episode 1 with a Doc that is in between movie 1 and movie 2 (at least this is the only thing I am not so sure on).
    • Marty's meddling in episode 1 kills hi, prompting him to fix it. Fixing it in episode 2 causes movie doc to never happen.
    • Due to this, the time stream needs to catch up (it does, but later on). This is a major aspect introduced, one I don't think the movie's included.
    • Think the rest through as being "time stream catching up" and it should be easy from there.

You didn't see much of Docs dialogue, did you? Doc is from after the trilogy, and it's been around 10 years for him since showing up in his time train. He's still got the train, still married to Clara, and they're deciding what year to send the kids to college in.

Also none of Martys meddling killed Doc. He went back because Doc was dead.
  • edited June 2011
    Triloge wrote: »
    You didn't see much of Docs dialogue, did you? Doc is from after the trilogy, and it's been around 10 years for him since showing up in his time train. He's still got the train, still married to Clara, and they're deciding what year to send the kids to college in.

Also none of Martys meddling killed Doc. He went back because Doc was dead.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't so sure about that aspect, I must have been a bit dead for the first episode. To clear up, the whole first sequence was a dream. My question then, exactly how does this future doc have the Delorean?
  • edited June 2011
    Doc isn't mayor when he went to 1931 as Carl Segan He some how got the key to the city and then he left to find Marty at the Hill Valley expo.
  • edited June 2011
    63cohen wrote: »
    Well, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't so sure about that aspect, I must have been a bit dead for the first episode. To clear up, the whole first sequence was a dream. My question then, exactly how does this future doc have the Delorean?

dude you need to go talk to doc in the jail cell. again.....the delorean is a time duplicate....when the delorean got struck by the lighting(right after the alamnac was burned) a copy was made... the orgianl was sent to 1885 with doc...the other one was sent to the future 2015 or 2025 "i don't remember exatly. Doc found it on an adventure with his family in the time train. and then used it to explore hill valleys mystery of the speakeasy buring.
  • edited June 2011
    Posted my review of all 5 episodes at Strategy Informer here.
  • edited June 2011
    this thread shall be filled with SPOILERS!!!111!!!11!

So, what did you think of the ending to episode 5? How do you interpret it?

I liked it, but it took time to grow on me. It's actually kinda funny, but it may raise questions to you over-thinkers out there. Here's how I see it:

3 alternate timelines for some reason came together so there are 3 more martys. Doc and Marty as WE know them fly away, ignoring the others. I like to think that they all cancelled each other out, and this is evidenced by some of them bickering about "Erasing that timeline 5 time jumps ago!" and "You've messed with my timeline for the last time!" So I think it was a "Time delayed reaction" of these 3 alternate versions of marty blinking out of existence from screwing with each other's timeline.

Please tell me if that makes sense.

And tell me what YOU think happened.
  • edited June 2011
    My brain will explode if I try to figure out what really happened. Besides, I figure if they ever do a Season 2 the entire thing will be resolved by the end of the first episode, much like how the problem with Marty's kids presented at the end of the first movie was resolved twenty minutes into the sequel, which then kicked off the real plot. Marty and Doc will quickly figure out the junction point for all these timelines and fix it so all three of those Marty's will cease to exist. Or something.
  • edited June 2011
    Confusing, violated every rule of time travel the series set up, corny, major out of character moment for Doc ("Lets ignore this problem and potentially screw things up more with another time travel adventure"), and all around sucked balls.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.