BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

Comments

• edited June 2011
    ShadowX81 wrote: »
    Confusing, violated every rule of time travel the series set up, corny, major out of character moment for Doc ("Lets ignore this problem and potentially screw things up more with another time travel adventure"), and all around sucked balls.

Well that was pleasant.
  • edited June 2011
    I liked it. Definitely a Telltale twist to a classic ending. Also, MJF being Marty...brilliant. ;)
  • now that the dust has settled, what are your thoughts on the overall game itself (apologies in advance for a long post)

If I were going to write a continuation of the BTTF saga be it novel, film, tv show, or video game, the big question is where to next? Personally I'd put the next stop somewhere from 1900-1940. Reason being; the third film did introduce us with the Tannen and McFly ancestors. But it left us with 2 generation gaps with each (since we knew very little about william being that he's a baby in part III)
    So I was happy that 1931 was the first stop, it showed us george and biffs fathers. I also like how it didnt just pick up from the end of part III but rather six months later to give some separation from the films.

Now upon reading the synopsis for the episodes, a few things struck me; one being that it seemed like an awful lot of the season would be in 1931 and not a lot of time periods. The last episodes premise of a cinematic chase through hill valley's past, present, and future seemed by far the most intriguing (more on that later).

1931 was a good starting point but I did start to believe it would get overdone. It did kind of grow on me later. It was neat seeing the relationship of Kid and Artie. People rag on George and Marty Jr. for backing down from their tannen counterparts in fear of getting beat up but are quicker to forgive Seamus for backing down from Buford as we've seen what happens to those who dont. Well Artie is kind of a hybrid of Seamus and George; it's not the old west anymore and there are police prevolent so Kid cant just run amok and shoot and hang people outside in the middle of the day the way Buford did. But Kid was Arties boss and especially given that this is the middle of the great depression with jobs not easy to find so you can understand Artie doing what he had to in order to keep his job. Danny Parker and Trixie were also good characters whom a lot of depth were given to. Seeing Emmett as Marty's age was excellent as well and the fact that his father didnt want him going into science gives him a lot of depth and probably explains why he's such a loner.
    So 1931 did grow on me and did become a second temporal junction point similar to 1955. I actually felt episode 3 was the weakest of the 5 (I know a lot of people disagreed but that was an awfully boring, wussified hill valley). Between episodes 3 and 4 i was hoping 4 would be spent more in 1931 than 1986.
    Now one great idea which could have been expanded in episode 2 was the brief compromised timeline we saw of Kid not going to jail and Biff having siblings. This was another good hybrid of the biffhoric timeline from part II; Being a crime family they are powerful similar to the biffhoric timeline but not as rich. And no surprise Georges fate is worse than the original timeline but better than the Biff one; he's not murdered but paralyzed. In the biffhoric timeline marty gets run out of the country, in this one he's only run out of hill valley.
    Episode 3 was just too boring for me. We get that it's run like a prison and citizens are about as happy as prisoners. The ending was great through (once we find out just how evil Edna is) as were the first 10 minutes of episode 4. Also the 1931 segments of episode 5 were fairly boring until FCB fades out and regular doc returns. What they should have done is cut down episode 3 to squeeze in the first citizen brown parts of episode 4. So episode 3 would have ended with Doc and marty leaving for 1931. The expo was too drawn out as well, we already knew Edna was sinister and FCB didn't want his timeline destroyed. They could have cut down this sequence (especially the glass house, that was pointless and just put in to have a puzzle).
    I'd have probably cut down quite a bit of the expo and had that entire segment as the ending of episode 4 ending with either FCB fading out or edna stealing the delorean and hill valley fading out. Probably FCB's fading so that all the Michael J Fox parts would be in episode 5.
    The scenes of crazy edna in the alternate 1931 were decent and the William McFly cameo here was good. But they could have cut this down a little bit, we already knew she was crazy in the original timeline let alone this one where she destroyed hill valley.
    The 1876 scenes weren't bad, we got to see another tannen (likely bufords father) and the hoverboard/deloreans sequence was very well done. Some people are mad we really didnt get to see 1876 but we'd already seen the old west so not much point.
    If they cut it the way I wanted, this would have allowed them to go to the future to make everyone happy (I'm still kind of steamed that the last episode indicated a chase through the present and future while there was barely any chasing at all and no future. And no i dont believe the video game parts, hoverboard, or martys from the future are suffice). Once they had the flux synchronization they could have easily just had edna floor her delorean and drag the flying one into the future.
    Now the ending; I was tingling when the first marty showed up. It really was a great reference to the ending of part I. But the other 2 showing up almost made it like the game was spoofing itself. Not sure how this is possible. I guess it's 3 possible future's. Now the first one mentioned it was his great great grandchildren in trouble which likely puts it around the 2080's. If I got to choose where to go in the future it would either be the 2040's (marty's grandchildren as teenagers) or the 2080's since we'd already been 100 years into the past.

I bought the game on PC (I own a ps3 but picked the one it was available for). I did originally plan on buying the game for the PS3 but I think I will hold off, the last episode was kind of a let down for me. I may or may not in the future replay the season on PS3. If there is a second season I will still buy it but for PS3 instead of PC. It wasnt great enough to be worth the extra money and less convenient platform (I much prefer playing games on PS3 than PC).

With the ending I am expecting some sort of sequel, my opinions on the games aren't overly high but really the future of this game are what will determine that. I will be extremely unhappy if they left it like that but will be more than forgivable if we get a continuation.

And lastly the voice acting; I couldn't have been happier with this aspect. George is a tough character to voice given that he's supposed to be a more confident version which this actor conveyed. I believe it was the same actor who voiced Arthur. Biffs voice acting could have been better but he wasn't an integral part of the game, he basically was only important in episode 3 and didnt have more than a cameo in any other episodes. AJ was good as marty, it was good having Claudia Wells back. Lloyd was great as always. Fox was excellent though, his character of william mcfly (which is whom i'd have him play if it were me as well. This bridges together 6 generations of Mcfly's from Seamus to Marty Jr.) was very well done as was future marty's.

so in parting. I've spent a lot of time over these boards the last 6 months. Met a lot of interesting people here. This was my first telltale experience and was overall a positive one. This board was very well moderated and it's always appreciative to have people like Alan communicate with his customers. I'm sure I'll pop in here and there but not to the extent I used to unless a second season is confirmed. Best regards to all the fellow posters.

Michael J. Fox IS Canadian.
  • edited June 2011
    ShadowX81 wrote: »
    Confusing, violated every rule of time travel the series set up, corny, major out of character moment for Doc ("Lets ignore this problem and potentially screw things up more with another time travel adventure"), and all around sucked balls.

It all makes sense in the context. Doc simple wanted to learn more. He was simply confused at who Silvia was. When he went back to 1931, he got caught up with Edna and stuck. Perhaps this is why he installed the retrieval mechanism, just in case something bad happened again.

Also, Edna and Doc were a perfect match at that time, where Doc wasn't fully sure about his future and Edna was a prohibition lover. Doc being the son of the judge was a big draw for Edna, who was attracted to law.
  • edited June 2011
    I was disappointed, but I'll detail what I liked too.

Puzzles: Total fail on this aspect. I'm someone who has been playing adventure games since the good ol' days, starting way back with Quest for Glory: So You Want To Be a Hero and moving on to the other Sierra and LucasArts classics. To say that the puzzles in BTTF didn't hold up to what I expect from the genre is an understatement. I don't think there was ever a point in BTTF where I was legitimately stumped, except in cases where I simply hadn't noticed that I could click on something. I understand why they did it, and it's plain to see on this board that it worked: BTTF fans ate this game up. It's just a shame they had to disappoint actual adventure gamers in the process. The OP is kinda proof of this: here for Back to the Future and Back to the Future only, not really interested in Telltale unless a sequel comes along.

Story: Ehh. I didn't hate the story, but I don't think it would have been enough to keep me going through the whole thing had I been buying the episodes separately. There were definitely some good parts to it, I really liked young Emmett and I found the conversation between Marty and Citizen Brown at the end of Double Visions particularly interesting, but on the whole it just didn't do that much for me. It also really bothered me that we only got to see 1931 and 1986... I am friggin' sick of 1931. I don't count the five minutes spent in 1876(?).

Voice acting: Great. Locasio was about as good a Marty as you were going to get without having MJF do it, and Christopher Lloyd is... well, Christopher Lloyd. The guy doing young Emmett was pretty spot on what you'd imagine a young Doc Brown to sound like. Edna was fun to listen to, too. Biff Tannen was pretty painfully bad though, it doesn't sound anything remotely like Tom Wilson. Michael J. Fox was nice in episode 5 but he didn't really feel important.

Overall, as much as I like the movies, I have to say that Back to the Future is one of my least favorite adventure games, and definitely my least favorite Telltale series.
  • edited June 2011
    Doc.Brown wrote: »
    Doc isn't mayor when he went to 1931 as Carl Segan He some how got the key to the city and then he left to find Marty at the Hill Valley expo.

Mayor?:confused:
  • edited June 2011
    There are three things i don't understand and would thank if anyone point me out to the right way...

1-If Doc never traveled to 1931, and never went to jail, and Marty never traveled to help him....shouldn't Marty dissapear?Like the Delorean? Why does so the Delorean but not Marty? When he changed Doc's path he also changed his. And therefore he also created an....

2-...alternative Marty. Since Doc never got in trouble in 1931, Marty never travels through time, meaning that he is still in 1986. There should be two Martys in 1986 now.

3-The last one is about the ending, like it happened to many people, i don't undestand how the Doc could fix such a huge mess by travelling randomly and without care through time. At the end, the impression i had was of resignation "what the heck the universe is collapsing beyond repair, let's just get lost in time"
  • edited June 2011
    Ignatius wrote: »
    There are three things i don't understand and would thank if anyone point me out to the right way...

1-If Doc never traveled to 1931, and never went to jail, and Marty never traveled to help him....shouldn't Marty dissapear?Like the Delorean? Why does so the Delorean but not Marty? When he changed Doc's path he also changed his. And therefore he also created an....

2-...alternative Marty. Since Doc never got in trouble in 1931, Marty never travels through time, meaning that he is still in 1986. There should be two Martys in 1986 now.

3-The last one is about the ending, like it happened to many people, i don't undestand how the Doc could fix such a huge mess by travelling randomly and without care through time. At the end, the impression i had was of resignation "what the heck the universe is collapsing beyond repair, let's just get lost in time"

1 marty is there so doc gets the key to the city and so doc could come back and the ending they couldnt just spoil what time they where going to like in part to they just say there going to the future we dont know what happens until we meet up with doc Jennifer Marty and enie
  • edited June 2011
    But if doc was there when marty and eine go to that time then they coludnt just save the other marty and doc and eine whit the delorean it dissapear because doc and marty weren't in that time anymore now but then

Now seriously...
  • edited June 2011
    I believe they made the puzzles easy to figure out in order to make progress shorter. Since there are 5 episodes, they don't want someone to get stuck, as then they just won't buy any others. They also don't want a user to take too long on one episode, or else they might not be interested in the next episode. It is simple, the game is not meant for hard core adventure gamers, but for basic gamers or bttf fans. Not all fans are into the genre that well, so easing them in is great.

It is also nice they have the hints, I used them a ton. I don't consider myself a bad gamer, I just consider it making the game progress faster.
  • edited June 2011
    I was eagerly awaiting traveling into the future in the final episode. It still has that in the description.

PS- The present doesn't count as the future :|
  • edited June 2011
    It does when you spend most of the game in the past.

I thought the ending was great, even the three Marties. If they make a season 2, I'll be downloading it the day it comes out, but I also would be pretty happy if this was the finale to the series.
  • edited June 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    And I also want to poke holes in the actual story line. When Edna took the time machine, she went back and burnt down Hill Valley in 1876, right? And somehow the whole city magically disappears? Look...if Hill Valley was burnt down then there wouldn't be a whole bunch of nothing there, there would actually be ruins. It's impossible for there not to be remnants of the former Hill Valley. You can't erase everything.
    The school was built soon before 1931, so if Hill Valley was destroyed, that wouldn't have been built in the first place.

Besides, do you think they might have had too few survivors to want to rebuild?
    The McFly farm was outside of town so they weren't affected.
  • It does when you spend most of the game in the past.

I thought the ending was great, even the three Marties. If they make a season 2, I'll be downloading it the day it comes out, but I also would be pretty happy if this was the finale to the series.

I get the fact that during the films, when they were in the past, they kept referring to 1985 as 'the future' yet curiously when they were in 2015 they never referred to it as 'the past'. But the synopsis clearly stated a chase through the past, present and future, so that implied past 1986. And there's no gameplay in 1986.
  • But the synopsis clearly stated a chase through the past, present and future, so that implied past 1986. And there's no gameplay in 1986.

So, what are you going to do? Sue them?
  • edited June 2011
    So, what are you going to do? Sue them?

As much as I loved Episode 5, technically speaking, that was false advertising.
  • edited June 2011
    Just ended BTTF: OUTATIME (unfortunately NOT outabugs), here is my review in short:

Gameplay: 4 (One bug. Two crashes.)
    Story: 10 (WOW! Good job Telltale!)
    OMG level: 11 (OMG!)
    Look on my face: OMG

Verdict: 9.5 (not an average)

Edit: I have to explain my 9.5. We do all know the glass house bug by now. I was one of the 'victims'. Then the CRASH shortly after
    William
    appears. Then, for crying out loud, a SECOND crash just before the ending!
    I stopped playing and watched the ending on Youtube. It's because of the story and the OMG ending, that this game gets a 9.5 from me.

STOP! SPOILER ALERT!

Edit 2: OMFG!
    They are going to make A SECOND SEASON!!!! If you will excuse me, I am going to cry right now. Happy tears, happy tears..
  • edited June 2011
    63cohen wrote: »
    I believe they made the puzzles easy to figure out in order to make progress shorter. Since there are 5 episodes, they don't want someone to get stuck, as then they just won't buy any others. They also don't want a user to take too long on one episode, or else they might not be interested in the next episode. It is simple, the game is not meant for hard core adventure gamers, but for basic gamers or bttf fans. Not all fans are into the genre that well, so easing them in is great.

If one buys the game, they've already bought the whole season. Even if someone finds episode 2 impossible and decides to stop playing, they've still paid for the whole season, whether or not they choose to actually play it.

I agree with your logic in terms of episode 1 since that was available for free, but there was no reason why they couldn't up the difficulty level gradually through eps 2-5.

Having said that, I'm one of the few people who actually likes the difficulty level being so low, as I'm not a veteran advanture gamer and like everything handed to me, but I can understand the frustration from people who like to be challenged and solve complex problems etc.

Another reason could be because it's intended to be basically an interactive movie; if a player takes too long on a particular puzzle, the subconcious effect from previous scenes in their mind will waver, potentially restricting the emotional responses from upcoming scenes.
  • edited June 2011
    railfan990 wrote: »
    Another reason could be because it's intended to be basically an interactive movie; if a player takes too long on a particular puzzle, the subconcious effect from previous scenes in their mind will waver, potentially restricting the emotional responses from upcoming scenes.
    Fuck that.

Adventure games are damn near inherently narrative, but they(and all games) are DIFFERENT FROM FILMS. Nobody thinks it's appropriate to adapt a book to film by having the majority of the experience involve scrolling text, why is a similar approach acceptable in games?
  • edited June 2011
    PS- The present doesn't count as the future :|
    It does when you spend most of the game in the past.
    Doc: See you in the future.
    Mary: You mean the past.
    Doc: Exactly!
  • edited June 2011
    Fuck that.

Adventure games are damn near inherently narrative, but they(and all games) are DIFFERENT FROM FILMS. Nobody thinks it's appropriate to adapt a book to film by having the majority of the experience involve scrolling text, why is a similar approach acceptable in games?

This is psychology. That is how things work. In a game so reliant on the story, people get it just to learn it, they need to keep things moving.
  • edited June 2011
    This is psychology. That is how things work. In a game so reliant on the story, people get it just to learn it, they need to keep things moving.
    Then making it a game was a bad idea, because SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE is going to not understand what a pointer is for and stop the story flat. If moving the story is all that matters, at ANY cost, even the cost of the game....

....MAKE A FUCKING MOVIE.
  • Doc: See you in the future.
    Marty: You mean the past.
    Doc: Exactly!
    But Doc and Marty were both right. Doc will see Marty in his future, but Marty will see Doc in the past of the actual timeline. So they're both right in a way.
  • edited June 2011
    Then making it a game was a bad idea, because SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE is going to not understand what a pointer is for and stop the story flat. If moving the story is all that matters, at ANY cost, even the cost of the game....

You are sounding like a broken record dude. Obviously you cannot please everyone, this proves it. The game has enough of a challenge (even though you don't see so) to make it worth it. The addition of the story element is what makes it ten times better.
  • edited June 2011
    You are sounding like a broken record dude. Obviously you cannot please everyone, this proves it. The game has enough of a challenge (even though you don't see so) to make it worth it. The addition of the story element is what makes it ten times better.
    The last puzzle of episode three is literally "push the red button". There is nothing else to click but the red button. If you consider that a worthwhile challenge, God help you.
  • edited June 2011
    The last puzzle of episode three is literally "push the red button". There is nothing else to click but the red button. If you consider that a worthwhile challenge, God help you.

What red button? You mean the panic button? There is a bit more to that "puzzle" than that. Sure that "puzzle" was the easiest of the other ending "puzzles" but it was still something you had to look around to find. When I played, I didn't see that panic button at all.
  • edited June 2011
    What red button? You mean the panic button? There is a bit more to that "puzzle" than that. Sure that "puzzle" was the easiest of the other ending "puzzles" but it was still something you had to look around to find. When I played, I didn't see that panic button at all.
    It is its own puzzle segment, due to an inability to go anywhere else in the scene at that point. It requires no logic or understanding of the situation to solve, because there's nothing else to click. You don't need to know WHY you are clicking the PANIC button, and I will attest that 99% or so of folks who clicked it had NO IDEA why they were clicking it. "YAY! I found a thing to click, mommy!" is not a puzzle solution, should not be a puzzle solution, and even the child-oriented PuttPUtt games which featured a cartoon car never pretended that was a puzzle solution. To argue in favor of this kind of structure is to completely lack knowledge of the genre, to completely lack any sort of analytical or critical thinking about the product, and to feel as though games are meant to be a series of constantly successful actions(because the developers made any other action literally impossible) in order to push along a story, without ANY regard for other player inputs(making any incorrect action by the player pointless, and thus making only a linear movie-like sequence in any way rewarded or worthwhile).
  • edited June 2011

Yea lets make a movie with Marty who shakes constantly. Biff is gone. And doc is to old.

Yea it will work (not)
  • edited June 2011
    Yea lets make a movie with Marty who shakes constantly. Biff is gone. And doc is to old.

Yea it will work (not)
    ...you DO realize that a video game is not the ONLY possible excuse to use animation, right?
  • edited June 2011
    ...you DO realize that a video game is not the ONLY possible excuse to use animation, right?

BTTF as an animated movie would seem cool. But still, i'd prefer a game more then a movie. BTTF always had shitty games. This is a stepup.
  • edited June 2011
    It is its own puzzle segment, due to an inability to go anywhere else in the scene at that point. It requires no logic or understanding of the situation to solve, because there's nothing else to click. You don't need to know WHY you are clicking the PANIC button, and I will attest that 99% or so of folks who clicked it had NO IDEA why they were clicking it. "YAY! I found a thing to click, mommy!" is not a puzzle solution, should not be a puzzle solution, and even the child-oriented PuttPUtt games which featured a cartoon car never pretended that was a puzzle solution. To argue in favor of this kind of structure is to completely lack knowledge of the genre, to completely lack any sort of analytical or critical thinking about the product, and to feel as though games are meant to be a series of constantly successful actions(because the developers made any other action literally impossible) in order to push along a story, without ANY regard for other player inputs(making any incorrect action by the player pointless, and thus making only a linear movie-like sequence in any way rewarded or worthwhile).

The same panic button was used in episode 2, I am pretty sure people knew what they clicked, I sure did. It wasn't red, it was white. Get your facts straight before you start yelling at me for being an idiot like you described.
  • edited June 2011
    BTTF as an animated movie would seem cool. But still, i'd prefer a game more then a movie. BTTF always had shitty games. This is a stepup.
    ...why? Why do you prefer a game? Specifically, why do you prefer THIS game to an animated feature, one with its ENTIRE budget dedicated to animation whose quality isn't defined by your PC hardware, which does not contain the puzzles that this game's fanbase considers to be entirely frivolous? I don't get this, WHY is a game better?
    The same panic button was used in episode 2, I am pretty sure people knew what they clicked, I sure did. It wasn't red, it was white. Get your facts straight before you start yelling at me for being an idiot like you described.
    eMuSil.jpg

Good for you. You have color recognition and some manner of memory retention. There, I just gave you far more credit than this game ever gave you.

The problem here is that the color of the switch isn't the core of the argument, nor did any aspect of the argument actually hinge on the color of the button. The overall structure of the puzzle as described is, still, entirely accurate.

And I didn't say that people didn't know why they clicked it because they were dumb: I said they didn't know because it is FAR EASIER to accidentally find the button with a quick exploratory move of the cursor around the screen than it is to look at that scene and realize the logic that goes along with pressing the button.
  • edited June 2011
    ...why? Why do you prefer a game? Specifically, why do you prefer THIS game to an animated feature, one with its ENTIRE budget dedicated to animation whose quality isn't defined by your PC hardware, which does not contain the puzzles that this game's fanbase considers to be entirely frivolous? I don't get this, WHY is a game better?

eMuSil.jpg

Good for you. You have color recognition and some manner of memory retention. There, I just gave you far more credit than this game ever gave you.

The problem here is that the color of the switch isn't the core of the argument, nor did any aspect of the argument actually hinge on the color of the button. The overall structure of the puzzle as described is, still, entirely accurate.

And I didn't say that people didn't know why they clicked it because they were dumb: I said they didn't know because it is FAR EASIER to accidentally find the button with a quick exploratory move of the cursor around the screen than it is to look at that scene and realize the logic that goes along with pressing the button.

Cause my childhood got tortured by shitty games. THATS WHY.
  • edited June 2011
    Cause my childhood got tortured by shitty games. THATS WHY.
    ..but how is that solved by ANOTHER SHITTY GAME?
  • edited June 2011

eMuSil.jpg

I don't know how you figure that is the whole puzzle, the entire sequence is one goal. There is more to it than just that.

And way to take a small comment questioning your credibility so personal. In my eyes, elitists aren't credible in any form.

Do you notice everywhere you post, you either get insane recognition of being a god, or be hated for telling people the game they love sucks? There is a problem there.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't know how you figure that is the whole puzzle, the entire sequence is one goal. There is more to it than just that.
    I can think it's a singular puzzle segment because there is no interlocking attachment to another puzzle segment. You're locked off from the rest of the room, you don't have to manipulate any other puzzle objects. The puzzle is "Now that Biff is distracted, how do you finally dispatch of him?"

If you do want to connect the other two puzzle pieces, for some reason, it is no less pathetic. Once again you click the only thing you can touch on a screen, but this time on two different screens. The only catch here is clicking the only two possible things in the correct order. It's like asking:
    Here are two numbers: One. Two. Put them in the correct order. Don't worry, if you get it wrong, we'll give you one more try. Or several. Or infinitely many.
    And way to take a small comment questioning your credibility so personal. In my eyes, elitists aren't credible in any form.
    Why not? What qualifies an "elitist"? Someone who simply dislikes something you enjoy?
    Do you notice everywhere you post, you either get insane recognition of being a god, or be hated for telling people the game they love sucks? There is a problem there.
    ...I'm pretty sure I've never been called a deity of any sort. Since I don't believe in the existence of deities, my being one would present an interesting existential question. =P
  • edited June 2011
    An elitist is someone who thinks themselves above another for one reason or another. You feel you are above anyone who had even the slightest trouble in this game.

You want a real challenge? Go play some Yugioh.
  • edited June 2011
    An elitist is someone who thinks themselves above another for one reason or another. You feel you are above anyone who had even the slightest trouble in this game.
    There is no such person. They made that literally impossible. They might as well have asked me which color is green, which number is bigger, which of these two things is a plant, etc. The idea that someone CAN get stuck in this game without some glitch being involved is simply hilarious.
  • edited June 2011
    There is no such person. They made that literally impossible. They might as well have asked me which color is green, which number is bigger, which of these two things is a plant, etc. The idea that someone CAN get stuck in this game without some glitch being involved is simply hilarious.

That is ignorance with some sugar added in. You sir are ignorant to think no one can find a game challenging.
  • edited June 2011
    ..but how is that solved by ANOTHER SHITTY GAME?

It's not SHITTY. It's alright. STOP BASHING PEOPLES OPINIONS!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.