BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

Comments

• edited June 2011
    1) Of course the temporal duplicate version(creative and no paradoxes).

2) Doc bought a new one. This, to me, would've been an absolute cop-out.

3) Doc borrowed it from either 1955 or 1885 and intended to return it to its rightful place later down the line. I hate this idea. Too many paradoxes could occur if something happened to the time machine while Doc was using it.

4) "That DeLorean(the one run over by a train) was nothing but an empty shell with a bunch of pinball parts and Christmas tree lights." This...yeah...I think it speaks for itself.
    Yuck. Although personally I think buying a new one would have made perfect sense. The train is too bulky to use on a lot of trips--it's great for family adventures but not so much for times when you need to try to be discreet. Without some other vehicle that fits one of the most important characteristics for the flux dispersal to work, buying a new DeLorean makes perfect sense.

It makes far more sense than "Oh it's a temporal duplicate." I still can't believe they went with that. Utter trash...much like everything about the game save the voice acting.
  • edited June 2011
    Kyronea wrote: »
    Yuck. Although personally I think buying a new one would have made perfect sense. The train is too bulky to use on a lot of trips--it's great for family adventures but not so much for times when you need to try to be discreet. Without some other vehicle that fits one of the most important characteristics for the flux dispersal to work, buying a new DeLorean makes perfect sense.

It makes far more sense than "Oh it's a temporal duplicate." I still can't believe they went with that. Utter trash...much like everything about the game save the voice acting.

Well, while it makes sense, I consider it lazy writing.

But hey, at least we didn't get the "Oh, that was just a shell of a DeLorean filled with pinball machine parts." That would've suuuuuuucked.
  • edited June 2011
    It's lazy writing because it makes more sense than "Oh it's a temporal duplicate from 2025"? Seriously?

I don't see how it's lazy writing at all. I mean, granted, there's the issue of where he got the funds to build the new time machine, how much time it took to build, etc(it took thirty years to build the first one but probably nowhere near that long to build a second, particularly with access to future technology) but I don't understand how it's lazy writing.
  • edited June 2011
    The ONLY reason I could think of that they went with "Temporal Duplicate" was because they didn't want people bitching that it's not the "real" Delorean. Though, I don't know how it's any more real than (Sam and Max Season Three spoiler)
    temporal duplicate Max
    , which caused a controversy for some stupid reason.
  • The ONLY reason I could think of that they went with "Temporal Duplicate" was because they didn't want people bitching that it's not the "real" Delorean. .

Even still though it's only two thirds real; this delorean is the same one (or a clone of the same one) which had the adventures of the first two movies. It is completely different than the one used in part III which was hidden in the mine for 70 years.

Let's face it this is what the fans wanted, if the majority of fans voted to use the time train, it would have been the train instead of the delorean in the game. The delorean is one of the coolest vehicles, it wouldnt have been the same if they converted say a Porsche into a time machine.
  • edited June 2011
    Of course, but they could have said Doc builded another Delorean, instead of bringing from the dead the old one with a silly random explanation.
  • edited June 2011
    Do want more. Now! MOAAARR, moar. *Gblblbbll*

See what you made me turn into? I loved it.
    Thank you for this thrilling ride, even though it lacked crazy train.

Ps. I don't care about it being too easy, I was in it to relive some old memories – and boy, I did.
  • edited June 2011
    Cubbie wrote: »
    He's not right. A game is not defined by the difficulty of its puzzles. I can understand the disappointment, especially if BttF is so very different from Telltale's earlier games, but all of his (true) arguments don't make the game crappy. They do for him, yes. And lots of others. But that's personal preference again, not fact.

A puzzle game is not defined by the difficulty of its puzzles? Huh? How are three clickable items and four items in the inventory going to stump anyone? Especially when it's the only room you're allowed to be in? I wish this happened only once but it happened over and over again! How is that fun for you, or for anyone?
  • edited June 2011
    5 episodes and you guys are still mired arguing that the puzzles are so damn easy? Yes they are, deal with it. I bought this series just to see Marty and Doc back into action again, I couldn't care less if this was a lasergame.
  • edited June 2011
    xdiesp wrote: »
    5 episodes and you guys are still mired arguing that the puzzles are so damn easy? Yes they are, deal with it. I bought this series just to see Marty and Doc back into action again, I couldn't care less if this was a lasergame.

That's a fun way to look at it, but if this becomes a trend for Telltale, they will lose a big chunk of their fanbase. Fans of adventure games want some challenge, not babytown frolics. Is it too much to expect a fun BTTF adventure with some thought towards the puzzles?
  • edited June 2011
    StoutFiles wrote: »
    A puzzle game is not defined by the difficulty of its puzzles? Huh?

Where did I say "puzzle" game? I just said game. And as for how I could like it, read xdiesp's answer again. :) Sure it could have been more challenging, but it's been a LOT of fun for me, at least I never got stuck. ;)

Maybe that's an age thing, but even though I remember the adventure games of the old days fondly, I also remember frequently being stuck for days. That's not something I'd want in a game nowadays.. it's just not fun at all. Having said that, there must be a golden middle in between those two extremes... :)
  • edited June 2011
    Well at the end of the game I thought I lost every sense of time continuum !!!! I am sure that the developers at some point lost track of time themselves as well !!! Eh, it was a good game to pass someone's time...the graphics were great , very monkeyislandish !! The story led you almost always to the next thing to proceed with the game...It did not have many riddles to solve but it was generally good...
    One bad thing surely was that although the game came out in monthly episodes not only were they too short but you forgot the previous episode and lost track of what was happening....Every episode was no more than 5-6 hours gameplay in fact..So that's something to fix....
    Either way it was a great experience bringing back all those characters...Listening to the voice of Christopher Lloyd and reminding players of the great trilogy back in the 90's ...
    Lastly the cliffhanger you left there was a bit over the top...too much....But i guess you will be coming to this game again...this time with improvements....
    Good Job telltale ....good job....
  • edited June 2011
    Finished the BttF-game. Mm, not fully satisfied. It was supposed to a wild ride through all time periods, very exciting and true to the movies; at least that's how I interpreted "a climactic chase through Hill Valley's past, present and future" (my bad, I guess). While in fact it moved kinda slow. The second half was more exciting,
    going back to the Old West
    , but I wanted to see more of that time period than having it limited to the
    saloon
    . Then afterwards came the best part of the game, Marty
    on his hoverboard linking two DeLoreans together
    , very similar to the sequence in the first episode where you had to free Doc from the car. Then the ending was just ... weird. Great contribution by Michael J. Fox though.
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe that's an age thing, but even though I remember the adventure games of the old days fondly, I also remember frequently being stuck for days. That's not something I'd want in a game nowadays.. it's just not fun at all. Having said that, there must be a golden middle in between those two extremes... :)

Nowadays if you're stuck you can just read an online strategy guide. Or they could have just made the puzzles much harder and still left in their hint system. Coasting through the game...it's just not fun at all.
  • edited June 2011
    In a nutshell, here's my opinion, about Ep 5 and the series as a whole:

1. Amazing recreation of characters and "feel" from the movies, I loved it.

2. Very beautiful story, it even moved me at times. I liked a lot the finale, even if I had to come to the forum to get any grasp on the WTF part.

3. Very very disappointing gameplay.
    Not only the puzzles are very easy, but more often than not they are also not very "satisfying", not funny nor endearing. Often the best action/humor is in the cutscenes. (With some remarkable exception!) No good at all. And there is a continuous, excruciating, sense of LIMITATION: I cannot do this, I cannot go there, especially limitation to movements with NO REASON at all. For example: why I can't go right to
    the DeLorean, outside the school,
    at the beginning of Ep 5?? It's right there, a few steps away,
    Doc is just disappeared from there
    , a main plot twist is just happened there, again a few steps away, so OF COURSE first thing I did was trying to move Marty there, and bam, for no reason at all, with no visible barrier nor anything else, he can't and stumbles and stops. Come. On. The suspension of disbelief was SHATTERED.

Will I buy a second season? I really do not know. It has been a very varying experience, very boring or infuriating at moments, awesome in other moments.

Someone said elsewhere that it could be watched on someone else's play on youtube without losing very much of the experience. It could even been said that it would be even better this way, sparing you the infuriating experience of the limitations.
    This is a provocation, of course: fact is, I would very much like to play games (and pay the developers).

I really think it needs to improve the gameplay and at the very least remove the blatant, arbitrary, unexplained limitations to movement.
  • edited June 2011
    StoutFiles wrote: »
    Coasting through the game...it's just not fun at all.

Depends on the game... if it has a great story like in this case, it can be. For me this definitely is a story- and character-driven game, and in that respect it is awesome. YMMV.
  • edited June 2011
    The story is terrible too, and uses pretty much every bad writing device known to man in the worst way possible. It's just that the gameplay is, miraculously, even WORSE.
  • edited July 2011
    The story is terrible too, and uses pretty much every bad writing device known to man in the worst way possible. It's just that the gameplay is, miraculously, even WORSE.

Sorry, I just can't call the story terrible. When it comes to this, its just gonna be a matter of opinion. I found the story pretty good. Kept me entertained. Unfortunately, the gameplay and "puzzles" were sorely lacking to support the game.
  • edited July 2011
    trekker26 wrote: »
    Sorry, I just can't call the story terrible. When it comes to this, its just gonna be a matter of opinion. I found the story pretty good. Kept me entertained. Unfortunately, the gameplay and "puzzles" were sorely lacking to support the game.
    Obviously, an issue with "story" is harder to justify, simply because so many people seem to define what makes up the story differently. Still, you could easily say that a lot of lazy writing was involved, or writing to "fan expectations" even when the end result doesn't make sense or have a real purpose. You can pretty easily show that Deus Ex Machina, a device near-universally derided for its lazy and sloppy nature as far back as Aristotle. Graph it out, Problem/Solution, and see that the main character is simply not involved in many resolutions. You can see that a lot of the references, especially in episode 3, are simply references without a change to turn the reference into a parody or commentary, which is what most people would call "ripping off". Sometimes the "game" aspect of it, and the forced exposition of game goals, can lead to unrealistic storytelling. For example, the scene with Edna describing the three things that have to go wrong for her to stop liking Emmett felt extremely artificial. "These are your three game goals. You are to complete all of them or I will not change state. Do you understand?!", when there simply aren't relationships that work that way. This was a problem with a lot of the episodes, actually, where the pace was hijacked by a "intro, three things to do in the middle, outro" structure that has honestly become a lazy default for this developer. You can also realize that Marty is VERY often robbed of responsibility. In the first episode, he ruins Emmett's life. In the second, Emmett doesn't give a fuck, and something ELSE ruins his life in much the same way, but this time it sticks because Marty wasn't the one that did it. Marty never has enough time to breathe when an emotional consequence happens to him, because by the time you've blinked twice the problem is very much resolved in an indirect and often ill-explained way.

Telltale has always been good with basic moment-to-moment characterization, and often people let that carry them through an experience. Thinking about the story in terms of structure and the reasoning behind various decisions though, and you'll notice that a lot of story is very cynically constructed, pretty weak, and frays a lot at the edges, to the point that it gets pretty noticeable.
  • edited July 2011
    if there is one critique i have on the game, is that they made the time traveling so convoluted.
    For instance, in the first BTTF movie, it was one simple point of time travel, with the story being very good and simplistic. Marty has to fix it so his parents get together, and then get back to the future. In BTTF 3, marty has to go back to the old west, rescue doc and get back to the future.
    In this game, it just hits you over the head again and again with all the constant time travel, with timelines constantly changing. They made it so complicated just to do time travel. I dont know if i'm explaining myself very well.

I dont know, the more i look back and truly think about the game, the more negatives I start thinking about. I'm believing that the wave of nostalgia, and having Marty and Doc, especially with Lloyd back as doc, has skewed my views on the game when i first started playing it months ago.
  • edited July 2011
    This game's story skeleton actually had a lot of potential to be a story like that. Rather than being a story about a boy getting to know his parents, it could be a story about Marty really getting to know Emmett, his best friend. The time travel could have been slightly more complicated, seeing how Marty could have hurt or ruined Doc's life and showing a very different side of Doc. It feels like that's the thrust of what this season's story was going for, and it never quite nailed it. It seems like there was something of a disagreement in the writing room over what kind of story this game was going to be, or it simply tried to invoke too many types of stories at once without putting a real and distinctive separation between the stories(that is, it was a single narrative trying to grab the narrative feel of three distinct narrative types all at once).
  • edited July 2011
    i still say its better than the BTTF NES game. However, when it comes to BTTF 2 & 3 on the NES, i feel that game is more fun than the TTG game. Oh, i know i'm gonna get serious hate for that.
    I feel BTTF 2&3 is a very underrated game. I've played it many times. And always enjoyed it, however on the computer. See, this game only needed 2 things that it didnt have when it first came out: a save file and a map system, like metroid.
    Now on the computer with an emulator, I can save it all the time. And i also have a map i found online, that shows you how all the streets are laid out.
    I love LOVE the mini-games in BTTF 2&3, they were challenging, and you had to figure them out to do them right. And i loved being able to walk down the different streets and see the different sites of Hill Valley in the 3 time lines.
    It was a fun sidescroller/puzzle game, much better in its genre it was attempting, than this TTG game was in the genre it was trying to do.
  • edited July 2011
    trekker26 wrote: »
    i still say its better than the BTTF NES game. However, when it comes to BTTF 2 & 3 on the NES, i feel that game is more fun than the TTG game. Oh, i know i'm gonna get serious hate for that.
    I feel BTTF 2&3 is a very underrated game. I've played it many times. And always enjoyed it, however on the computer. See, this game only needed 2 things that it didnt have when it first came out: a save file and a map system, like metroid.
    Now on the computer with an emulator, I can save it all the time. And i also have a map i found online, that shows you how all the streets are laid out.
    I love LOVE the mini-games in BTTF 2&3, they were challenging, and you had to figure them out to do them right. And i loved being able to walk down the different streets and see the different sites of Hill Valley in the 3 time lines.
    It was a fun sidescroller/puzzle game, much better in its genre it was attempting, than this TTG game was in the genre it was trying to do.

I agree that BTTF 2&3 were somewhat underated. I made a comment on the AVGN's review of it that I shall repost here:
    The sad thing is, that travelling through time collecting objects and placing them in their correct time periods actually sounds like a fun game. Trust LJN to screw it up...

BTTF: Parts II & III Would have been vastly superior if the following changes were made:

1. Smaller maps with fewer items, maybe 3 per time period, followed by a boss fight with Biff to get the Almanac, then maybe 6 items in Part III.

2. Less frustrating gameplay

3. BTTF-related enemies, with no annoying birds chirping

Having multiple difficulty levels, each featuring a different number of randomized items from a pool of 30 would have been better still.
  • edited July 2011
    My PC keeps on crashing after when Michael J Fox first comes into the game, can anyone help me to fix this problem?
  • edited July 2011
    The new/last behind the scenes video of the makers and cast of the bttf game talk about the last episode of the game; with Michael J.Fox getting involved, things leading up to the end of the game and such, but one thing that caught my attention; is what AJ LoCascio (voice of Matry Mcfly) said close to the end of the video (2:34 of 3:10 to be exact,) and-I-quote, "You know where it leaves us, I uh, it just makes my want to see what the next adventure is."
    Could he be hinting that there might be more BTTF from Telltale games sometime in the futrure?
    =O
  • edited July 2011
    lmjmclean wrote: »
    My PC keeps on crashing after when Michael J Fox first comes into the game, can anyone help me to fix this problem?

Press Escape, go into the settings, click graphics, click Advanced and set the graphics quality to 5. Reset to one after Hill Valley fades out. Then set the graphics back to 1 or whatever you were using before.
  • edited July 2011
    I loved it. As an experience, mind, not purely as a game. Yes, it's too easy for a lot of people, including myself, but as a Back to the Future game/sequel it hit a lot of notes absolutely right and I had multiple goosebump moments near the end, including hearing Michael J. Fox again. Loved it and hope there will be a second season, although I do think we shouldn't get our hopes up and take that "to be continued" with the same pinch of salt as with the first movie at its time.
  • edited July 2011
    Antaios wrote: »
    I loved it. As an experience, mind, not purely as a game. Yes, it's too easy for a lot of people, including myself, but as a Back to the Future game/sequel it hit a lot of notes absolutely right and I had multiple goosebump moments near the end, including hearing Michael J. Fox again. Loved it and hope there will be a second season, although I do think we shouldn't get our hopes up and take that "to be continued" with the same pinch of salt as with the first movie at its time.
    The first movie didn't add "To Be Continued" until the home video release, after they knew there would be a sequel, so it wasn't taken with a grain of salt then.
  • edited July 2011
    I apologize, but to me, it's "The Phantom Menace" all over again, except for the fact that I actually love Back to the Future.

People love it because it has Back to the Future characters in it. Have fun with it, but I'd be more happy if the game honored the characters and voice actors with a more intriguing story.
  • edited July 2011
    I've just finished the 5th chapter of BTTF and I loved it.
    Telltale can't seem to do a bad adventure game, I loved all 5 episodes and they do feel just like a Back to the Future film. I love the guy who does Marty's voice, he's brilliant.
    Anyway i'd like to give you all a link to a review I made, I hope you enjoy it.
    http://thegameropinion.blogspot.com/2011/07/back-to-future.html
  • edited July 2011
    Wait, I'm confused, what are all the characters liable for?
  • edited July 2011
    The Science Expo was wonderfully constructed and I had a lot of fun looking at all the exhibits. The general art direction was very pleasing to the eye and the voice actors all did a superb job. There were a few moments which truly reminded me of the movies and had a very cinematic feel to them (Yes, I know that the game is essentially an interactive movie.)

The episode generally felt more 'alive' than the previous episodes and, with the exception of a few bugs, ran pretty smoothly.

While I did enjoy this episode, I did have a few quips.

-The ending
    Yes, I know this is supposed to be a homage to the original movie but it just felt like overkill (which is saying a lot considering this is based off a trilogy about time travel). I loved hearing Michael J. Fox's voice again but all the future selves really put me off.

-
    Far too short for my liking. I was looking forward to exploring the
    Old West
    and looking at all the scenery. Imagine my surprise when I realised that it was limited to only one short scene. Hell, you couldn't even leave the building's vicinity. I probably should have been expecting this, considering the linear style of the game but it really was a downer.

Verdict: It was a blast seeing all the characters again but the game could have been so much more polished.
  • edited July 2011
    I just finished the game and I must admit, I am overall very pleased. There were graphic and audio hiccups throughout the series, but I can very easily look over that stuff.

Some of the game, as I was playing it, felt like it strayed way too far away from the original trilogy. I felt that there was a lot of unnecessary predicaments that Marty was thrown into, the story was strung out, and I definitely liked some episodes more than others. What kept me grounded though was the fact that it was a game. It can't be exactly like the Movie, and things need to be done to keep it going AS a game, not as a movie. It's like watching a comic book movie on the big screen. It can't be exactly like the comic, so the story is altered a bit to make things fit.

I was really looking forward to the final episode though, and I couldn't wait to get to the end. I just had to see what TTG had in store, and I have to honestly say here, it didn't disappoint one bit. But we had a flying Delorean, Hoverboard? Yeah... everything I needed and wanted in a BTTF game was in it and I am a happy camper! And of course, Michael J. Fox being back? Hello! I mean, A.J. is Marty McFly 100%, hands down. But with MJF back to lend his voice, that was amazing!

I geeked out bigtime at the ending. In fact, I am going to replay the ending again here in a bit just so I can geek out again! :)
    I think it pays homage to the ending of the original movie, and puts so much of a twist on this ending that I have no clue what is going to happen next.

I actually would've preferred to have a bit more time travel in the game. Maybe some more run-ins with their alternate selves, and more time period hopping similar to the Back to the Future Ride.

Question is: Did you watch all the way end until after the credits?
    It said "To Be Continued." So that's a sure sign that TTG has the intentions of making a second season! WOOT!
  • edited July 2011
    FaMzNeSS wrote: »
    It said "To Be Continued." So that's a sure sign that TTG has the intentions of making a second season! WOOT!

To be fair, telltale always leaves an open ending in case for a second sequal. Wouldnt be shocked if the same happened for JP and the Walking Dead.
  • edited July 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    To be fair, telltale always leaves an open ending in case for a second sequal. Wouldnt be shocked if the same happened for JP and the Walking Dead.

Well I'm hoping in holds true for a second season. :)
  • edited July 2011
    Ok, I'll copy/paste what I sent to MovieLord. Well, fixed some little mistakes I had made.

Serious spoilers.

Edit: Ah, didn't notice rachetdream's
    to be continued after the credits, since I turned off the game.
    He also explains it better. :D

Anyway, I still leave them here if you want them.
    Well, I'm not a great fan of spoiling nice stuff, but if you insist...

1. Who turns out to be the REAL speakeasy arsonist?
    Like many others had already guessed, there's only one person who wouldn't like hooligan stuff in her town. ;)
    And you learn it quite fast in the episode too.

2. Are Trixie and Sylvia (the person Arthur McFly's SUPPOSED to marry) the same person?
    Well, that's one left for almost the last, but yeah, "You didn't think my real name was Trixie Trotter, did you?" (or something like that)

3. What will become of Edna by the end of the game?
    Certainly gets a happy life it seems, but you would never expect with whom. :P
    With Kid. ;)

4. Which 2 characters does Michael J. Fox voice in this episode?
    William McFly and... quite a few Marty McFlys at the end. :P

and 5. The big one: HOW WILL IT END?

They go back to the sale, but it's a garage sale that Doc is having now (altered timeline) and he says that Clara and him had always a part time residence in Hill Valley "wasn't that how it was when you left?" (Marty to himself) "...no...".

And we learn why did Doc went back to 1931.

He wanted to research all McFlys and give their history as a thank you to Marty for saving him in the movies and so went through time and the one he had troubles with was Sylvia (since she went by the name of Trixie). :)

Of course, the way the game ends, I guess he'll have to make more trips in the ...future? :p

Edna comes with Einstein and Doc thinks she was doing some harm to him, but she explains that she did what she would do, take Einstein for a walk.
    Doc and Marty are getting really weird vibes and Doc says they better go slowly back into the lab, before they see any more changes. Then Kid comes up and calls to her since it appears they really got together while spending time in prison. They then call Biff and leave as a happy family. (weird for Tannens eh?)

And then, a Delorean pops up, a future Marty comes out (Michael J. Fox) with the usual "Doc, you have to come back with me" "Where?" "Back to the Future!" "But if your past self sees you *Marty is seeing him clear as day at that point :p* there will be irrepairable damage" (or the usual stuff he says) and then future Marty says that it's ok for our Marty to also come with him. Then another Marty from the future comes with a blue Delorean (MJF again :P) and claims the other Marty is lying, then a 3rd Delorean appears (a black one I think) and a more biker-like Marty (MJf of course) comes out and the 3 Marties start arguing between themselves.

Of course Doc goes all "the timestream is being destroyed" and game Marty asks "but who is the real me?", where Doc just looks at him and smiles, so they go in the Delorean to fix everything and Marty asks the date to go, to which Doc replies "Mr. McFly, thrill me." and like in the end of BTTF (the movie), they go airborne over the road and fly towards the camera. Then the credits come up with the Back in Time song. :)

img151.imageshack.us/img151/5350/backtothefuture10520110.jpg
    img197.imageshack.us/img197/5350/backtothefuture10520110.jpg
    img811.imageshack.us/img811/5350/backtothefuture10520110.jpg
    img171.imageshack.us/img171/5350/backtothefuture10520110.jpg
    img42.imageshack.us/img42/5350/backtothefuture10520110.jpg
    img832.imageshack.us/img832/5350/backtothefuture10520110.jpg

OMFG, I KNEW that ending seemed familiar, and after reading your synopsis of the ending, it made me think back to where I read that before! It was a storyline in the popular comic strips "Calvin and Hobbes". Calvin, and his pet stuffed tiger, Hobbes, were always going on time travel trips in a cardboard box back to the dinosaur age, transformers to transform himself into other animals, (or things) and what this back to the future ending reminds me of: a duplicator which duplicates himself. You should be able to find it on the internet somewhere. Oh, this one, too:

http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/6:30,_7:30,_and_8:30_Calvins

That was to do with the time machine. Bill Waterson had more story writing talent than most script writers today. Plain Genius.
  • Obviously, an issue with "story" is harder to justify, simply because so many people seem to define what makes up the story differently. Still, you could easily say that a lot of lazy writing was involved, or writing to "fan expectations" even when the end result doesn't make sense or have a real purpose. You can pretty easily show that Deus Ex Machina, a device near-universally derided for its lazy and sloppy nature as far back as Aristotle. Graph it out, Problem/Solution, and see that the main character is simply not involved in many resolutions. You can see that a lot of the references, especially in episode 3, are simply references without a change to turn the reference into a parody or commentary, which is what most people would call "ripping off". Sometimes the "game" aspect of it, and the forced exposition of game goals, can lead to unrealistic storytelling. For example, the scene with Edna describing the three things that have to go wrong for her to stop liking Emmett felt extremely artificial. "These are your three game goals. You are to complete all of them or I will not change state. Do you understand?!", when there simply aren't relationships that work that way. This was a problem with a lot of the episodes, actually, where the pace was hijacked by a "intro, three things to do in the middle, outro" structure that has honestly become a lazy default for this developer. You can also realize that Marty is VERY often robbed of responsibility. In the first episode, he ruins Emmett's life. In the second, Emmett doesn't give a fuck, and something ELSE ruins his life in much the same way, but this time it sticks because Marty wasn't the one that did it. Marty never has enough time to breathe when an emotional consequence happens to him, because by the time you've blinked twice the problem is very much resolved in an indirect and often ill-explained way.

Telltale has always been good with basic moment-to-moment characterization, and often people let that carry them through an experience. Thinking about the story in terms of structure and the reasoning behind various decisions though, and you'll notice that a lot of story is very cynically constructed, pretty weak, and frays a lot at the edges, to the point that it gets pretty noticeable.

I didn't even have to read the first word to know what you post was about
  • edited July 2011
    miketh2005 wrote: »
    OMFG, I KNEW that ending seemed familiar, and after reading your synopsis of the ending, it made me think back to where I read that before! It was a storyline in the popular comic strips "Calvin and Hobbes".

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6691670/Calvin-Hobbes-Time-Travel-Strip-Series

I'm not really seeing the relevance here but it's a cool story and maybe someone else is curious. :)
  • edited July 2011
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/6691670/Calvin-Hobbes-Time-Travel-Strip-Series

I'm not really seeing the relevance here but it's a cool story and maybe someone else is curious. :)

I'm just saying it reminds me of BTTFTGP1's ending, with them fighting, different versions of 1 person, etc. You know?
  • edited July 2011
    Kyronea wrote: »
    It's lazy writing because it makes more sense than "Oh it's a temporal duplicate from 2025"? Seriously?

I don't see how it's lazy writing at all. I mean, granted, there's the issue of where he got the funds to build the new time machine, how much time it took to build, etc(it took thirty years to build the first one but probably nowhere near that long to build a second, particularly with access to future technology) but I don't understand how it's lazy writing.

It's lazy writing because it's not creative. Anyone, and their baby brother could have thought of that. I never saw the temporal duplicate thing coming. I am an aspiring writer and I believe that anywhere possible, you should be unique and creative. That's how you make good stories, so I agree that I like the duplicate explanation better. And it's scientific. It's an all around better explanation.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.