BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

15678911»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    The episode got to be pretty good from 1876 and onwards.
    That was a good puzzle in the saloon, with great ambiance. The only thing that drags it down is the awkward camera angles by the window and the fact that you couldn't walk over to the ladder in the narrow walkway behind the bar.
    The Delorean chase puzzle was very clever. Again there was good ambiance and like the saloon puzzle there was a degree of suspense we haven't seen too much in these 5 episodes.

But there are many things that unfortunately make it a sub-par product.
    First, my thoughts on the puzzles:

The first sequence is in essence just a movie with the only respite being chasing down the accumulator. And there all you do is run after it and climb the lamp post and use timing to grab it. That's not a puzzle, it's not even worth interrupting the collection of cutscenes just to click through that.

Another thing that bugged me is that I was trying to figure out "How to get these tickets so I can get through the turnstyles", and then I get very disappointed when all I had to do was...choose the right dialogue option and she just gives them to you. No unlikely combination of everyday items or unconventional puzzles involved.
    Puzzles that are triggered by dialogue or puzzles that have you click on one thing to start an event are generally so by bad design, and there are quite a few of those.

There are a few glitches/bugs in the game as well; I got a glitch in the glass house: I magically teleported from the first to second floor and couldn't get out so I had to reload.
    And the hat you have to put on the cactus; I was looking for it and it turned out it was lying on the ground way off the location where Edna placed it. And yet in the little cutscene when Marty picks it up it is in the correct location.
    In addition to this there are a ton of invisible walls in the expo hall, very annoying to have to deal with that in addition to the bad camera angles.

Graphics-wise I have to say I'm very disappointed. The lip-synch is bad enough, but the animation of the characters walking and talking is laughable. The animation is so robotic you'd think the game actually was created in 1931. And that's no exaggeration. There is just no effort put into this aspect.

And I also want to poke holes in the actual story line. When Edna took the time machine, she went back and burnt down Hill Valley in 1876, right? And somehow the whole city magically disappears? Look...if Hill Valley was burnt down then there wouldn't be a whole bunch of nothing there, there would actually be ruins. It's impossible for there not to be remnants of the former Hill Valley. You can't erase everything.
    And where would people live? You telling me they wouldn't rebuild? Surely there had to be settlements and people at the very least.
    And Edna just supposedly goes nuts and abandons a working time machine, never to use it again? Yeah right. I don't think that story line was very well thought out. You sacrificed too much realism for the sake of convenience there, Telltale.

So that's my view. The ending was decent and there were some good moments with puzzles and good dialogue that actually were well designed. But a few good points cannot excuse the majority of the season that has undeniably been a complete failure.
    I really hope that Telltale have learned from this and that they are actually clear-headed enough to see their own mistakes and where they went wrong in this endeavor.
    I'd say learn from your mistakes and put this game in the past where it belongs now. Take the good aspects and use it to make better games in the future, avoiding the pits you stepped into in this project.

How do you get the flux transmitters to line up with the receiver on the flying version of the Delorean? Nothing I do will allow it to lock on. I assume you have to do each (there are two) separately, since the game won't let me install the second until I line up the first. The panning motion is very choppy and not very responsive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • edited July 2011
    Awesome finale guys, loved the cliff hanger at the end. Please give us a second season!
  • edited July 2011
    I'm lovin' it! (Oops, I didn't intend to recommend McDonald's.)

There are many great lines in this game. They are very fitting in BTTF universe, and also completely NEW, exciting lines.
    It was very touching moment when FCB said
    "I think I AM going to be okay, Marty..."
    I was almost crying.
    And, of course, I love the line
    "Thrill me, Mr. McFly."
    Yes, I was completely fascinated.

I think more BTTF fans in Japan MUST play it!
    But, in Japan, this game hasn't be known well yet...(there are not many people to play foreign games in my country. Especially when the games aren't Japanese localized version.)

My English is not good yet, and may make many mistakes. So, please be patience to me.
  • edited July 2011
    I finnally got it on ps3! Didn't finsih yet, Lovin it.
  • edited July 2011
    I liked the episode, but I was wondering, the new Doc seem to be created from this games time manipulation, at first it seemed he didn't remember any of their previous time adventures, but then mentions Clara and the kids that he met in the future?

Also how can multiple different time line versions of the same person all co exist at the same time will that be resolved in a second game?
  • edited July 2011
    bigreader wrote: »
    I liked the episode, but I was wondering, the new Doc seem to be created from this games time manipulation, at first it seemed he didn't remember any of their previous time adventures, but then mentions Clara and the kids that he met in the future?

Also how can multiple different time line versions of the same person all co exist at the same time will that be resolved in a second game?

The only thing Doc doesn't seem to remember is all the stuff that happened to Marty during his trip to 1931.
  • edited July 2011
    I loved how you guys ended Back to the Future The Game Series cause I felt like crap when Back to the Future 3 ended. Was let down that there was no Time Train cause they used it alot in the BTTF Cartoon series. I hope there will be another season and I would like to see how the 3 stories play out. I would love to see some screen shots of the Three Marty's from the Future.
  • edited July 2011
    at first i hated having to wait for the episodes to slowly be released. But now that all five episodes have been released. I really enjoyed the game in its full form. The only issue i have is having to wait until they come out with the next one. Hope they start production on it soon.
  • edited July 2011
    I liked ep 5! just wish the lip sync was better and there was not soo much chaos at the end. other then that alot of great bttf movie quotes and scenes in the game!!!
  • edited August 2011
    Anyone else notice how incredibaly similar the ending to this game was to the ending to Sam and Max TDP?
    Doc dies(or citizen brown anyway) and then another doc comes through a time machine, and him and Marty go off on adventures compared to Max dieing, and then a new one coming via time travel, and sam and max go off on adventures
    granted they had their differences, but dang.
  • edited August 2011
    Please make some thing for the glass house walls !! We can not make anything in there. Whatever it is, it will result for it !!

Maybe i have use some wrong words in my sentence. I am sorry about that. I don't know english for perfectly !!
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2011
    Please make some thing for the glass house walls !! We can not make anything in there. Whatever it is, it will result for it !!

Maybe i have use some wrong words in my sentence. I am sorry about that. I don't know english for perfectly !!

If you bought the game from Telltale's store, just download the installer again. The updated version will allow you to play from one of your existing saved games without getting the bug.

If you want (or need) to restart/replay the version you have but avoid the glasshouse bug, DON'T go into the glasshouse until after you talk to the diver and see the cutscene of Emmett and First Citizen Brown inside.

If you want to continue with your current installed version but don't want to replay, there is a saved game available in this thread (which I see you've already found).

Hope one of those options is what you were after.
  • edited August 2011
    Overall it was ok, it had some things that made no sense but at the same time it was intresting. It was also slow paced and I got sick of spending the whole series in 1931.

People say the ending was funny and some say it's stupid, Im halfway it was funny and quite epic but of course how the hell did marty look at his older/younger self without a paradox happening and also the other problem in that cut scene is when you look down the street there are no shops but in the film there was loads of them.

And finnaly I always rant on about this but... Graphics!!! Telltale said themselves at the begging they could of gone with a more realistic approch but decided to go with cartoons... bad choice, back to the future is realistic and it is not a cartoon why should the game be any diffrent??!!!

I also agree with this review (its only reviewing episode 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPcO9Xs4XxY

See you in the future
  • edited August 2011
    I think part of the current consensus on the street of Doc's house not being the same is that Doc was probably considered an outcast in his old timeline because his dad turned against him. Powerful man says that the scientific enterprises of Emmett Lathrop Brown are dangerous and disasters waiting to happen, people start listening. I think that after the Brown mansion burned down, a lot of people probably moved out of that neighborhood, thinking Emmett did something far too dangerous and wanting to get away from it, so the city rezoned part of the neighborhood as business and let Doc keep his land(albeit grudgingly if the attitude behind the estate sale in 1986 was any indication). In the new timeline, Judge Brown supported his son's scientific pursuits, so he was probably more accepted by the community. So, now Doc has neighbors.

That's what I decided to take from it anyways.

Though the real answer is that it's probably cost prohibitive to build an entire street for one scene when you can just drop Doc's garage into the "same" neighborhood as the McFly house.
  • edited August 2011
    Also in the first episode I think George mentions to marty that the whole point of the bank selling off Browns estate was because a request was put in by city to use his land for a new parking garage (he says this just before being distracted by the Jules Verne books). Of course this wouldnt happen in the middle of a suburban street so telltale had obviously made that part of the storyline.Where as well as Doc coming home from 1931 and just having a jumble sale its kind of like a quiet victory against the bank in the old timeline by showing how Docs life had changed to the point were he was no longer isolated and alone while exploring science, he now has a family legacy, friends (marty, george, enda :S) as well as his original family and bitchin time train.

So yeah the delorean pulling out into a residential street was meant to show how the timeline had changed for the better in that respect.

The Marty situation certainly suprised me. I think what we see as soon as the 1st Instance of Future Marty mentions whats wrong with the future another appears that was the consequence of that meeting and so on with the third. This is what the Martys mean when they respond to doc saying the space time continuum is already tearing itself apart. The neat trick they pulled at the end was that even though we've seen things through Martys eyes other stuff has happened in the background that would have been something like; Timeline A-- Marty and Doc get home, Future Marty 1 comes and takes them to the future. Timeline B -- Marty and Doc get home, Future Marty 1 comes but Future Marty 2 intervenes - however this plays out they all go back to the future. Timeline C -- The outcome of the previous then causes the scene we see at the end of episode 5. Doc has always feared this kind of paradox but due to having lived his youth being manipulated by Citizen Brown, Marty and Edna he has the solution - tell marty that he is the only one that is real, regardless of his choices he is the present so his future is his own to make.
  • edited August 2011
    ... not that I post much, and sorry if this is a repeat, but it seems to me that the three Martys are just a joke, poking fun at different movies.

1st Marty = "BTTF2 Ripoff" Marty

2nd Marty = "Tron Ripoff" Marty

3rd Marty = "Terminator Ripoff" Marty

----

I laughed out loud when I saw these, of course. But what I fear (say it isn't so) is that if the above is true, then the ending is meant to be "a joke" like the original movie, and there is no real plan to continue the series. :(

... I really hope that's not the case, though.
  • edited August 2011
    I think part of the current consensus on the street of Doc's house not being the same is that Doc was probably considered an outcast in his old timeline because his dad turned against him. Powerful man says that the scientific enterprises of Emmett Lathrop Brown are dangerous and disasters waiting to happen, people start listening. I think that after the Brown mansion burned down, a lot of people probably moved out of that neighborhood, thinking Emmett did something far too dangerous and wanting to get away from it, so the city rezoned part of the neighborhood as business and let Doc keep his land(albeit grudgingly if the attitude behind the estate sale in 1986 was any indication). In the new timeline, Judge Brown supported his son's scientific pursuits, so he was probably more accepted by the community. So, now Doc has neighbors.

That's what I decided to take from it anyways.

Though the real answer is that it's probably cost prohibitive to build an entire street for one scene when you can just drop Doc's garage into the "same" neighborhood as the McFly house.

Ok fair enough but you cant deny that wasnt telltales intentions, they accidently recycled lyon estates.... :P
  • edited August 2011
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    Ok fair enough but you cant deny that wasnt telltales intentions, they accidently recycled lyon estates.... :P

Again, from a developer standpoint, they probably didn't have the money to create a brand-new street(since the street wasn't shown in Episode 1) for a single scene. It's the same reason we got Leech instead of Needles. Budgets suck. Nuff said.
  • The only thing Doc doesn't seem to remember is all the stuff that happened to Marty during his trip to 1931.

Actually doc doesnt remember being 'gone' for six months. He has the hoverboard and mentions it getting them out of jams before (which it does 3 times in the trilogy). Obviously for him to be with Clara and the kids, the 1885 adventure and second trip to 1955 had to have happened and since he has the hoverboard, 2015's trip happened.

What probably happens is due to having a healthier relationship with his father, Doc is more inclined to remain in his own timeline to uphold his legacy so at the end of part III he likely returns to 1985 and stays there or goes on time travels and then returns.
  • edited August 2011
    My personal solution with regards to the situation with Doc is this-

We roughly have 3 Doc's in the context of the Game.

Original Doc: The one who's been through all the events of the movies. He never returned to 1986 and instead spent his time travelling in his train. On one trip, he discovers the duplicated Delorean in 2025, repairs it, and starts using it again. He goes to 1931, ends up being arrested as Carl Sagan, the speakeasy arsonist. His Delorean goes back to 1986 due to the auto-retrieval feature. Marty later comes back to save him and he goes through the events of Episodes 1 and 2, before he is erased because his younger self hooks up with Edna, creating the Citizen Brown timeline. This Doc doesn't remember meeting Marty in 1931 (a point which is clearly stated in Episode 2) and gained his inspiration from watching Frankenstien.

FCB Doc: This Doc is the older version of the young Emmett whose lived through the events of 1931 in Episodes 1 and 2 and who hooked up with Edna and later turned Hill Valley into a police state. He remembers meeting Marty in 1931. However, in the FCB timeline NONE of the events from the movies happened and this Doc doesn't know anything about time travel until 'our' Marty shows him the Delorean. He's the Doc whom we follow in Episodes 3, 4 and the early part of 5. He uses the Delorean of the Original Doc, which he repaired. Later, he is run over by Edna and fades from existence the moment young Emmett chooses to become a scientist free from Edna's influence, erasing his timeline.

New Doc: This Doc is the older version of the young Emmett who's lived through ALL the games 1931 events from all episodes. He remembers meeting Marty (as he had the newspaper clipping with him). He is largely the same as Original Doc in that he experianced the events of the movies; however, unlike Original Doc, he didn't gain inspiration from Frankenstien but instead was motivated by seeing lighting strike in Episode 4. He had a much better relationship with his father and so his estate is still intact in 1986 and he is a much more respected figure in Hill Valley. He, Clara and the family also live in Hill Valley. His Delorean is either the new timeline's version of the Delorean used by the previous 2 Doc's, or its an entirely new Delorean he constructed while in 1986. This Doc apparently never experianced the events of Episodes 1 and 2 and is surprised by Marty's presence in 1931. However, seeing as he remembers what happened at the Expo 55 years ago from his POV, he probably remembers 'Carl Sagan' and figures out that an alternate version of him was involved somehow.
  • edited September 2011
    I have a small question about the ending of ep. 5. when Doc was saying to Marty about the Airheart-brown school Marty laughed, and Doc asked why it was funny and Marty said he'll tell him later? why was Marty laughing?
  • edited September 2011
    Because of the fact that he made Doc's relationship with his father better and improving his overall timeline.
  • edited September 2011
    Because of the fact that he made Doc's relationship with his father better and improving his overall timeline.
    oh okay, i thought i missed something. i love ep. 5
  • edited October 2011
    Personally, I like all of them. I just now started playing through ep 5, and I found a somewhat funny bug. Did anyone else witness this?

So, you know that one puzzle where you have to get the dirt on Edna. Well, I got done doing that, and she ran with Parker chasing after her. I then went back to do the phone in the house of the future. The choice of getting Edna on the phone was still there. I decided to choose it thinking, "What will happen, since she got chased off." Much to my surprise, she got on the phone... only her character modal wasn't there. It was just her voice, X D . Well, at least I got to try the other choices I missed earlier.
  • edited October 2011
    sn939 wrote: »
    This Doc apparently never experianced the events of Episodes 1 and 2 and is surprised by Marty's presence in 1931. However, seeing as he remembers what happened at the Expo 55 years ago from his POV, he probably remembers 'Carl Sagan' and figures out that an alternate version of him was involved somehow.

No, I don't think so, I think this Doc would have experienced the events of 1931. Without the event of 1931 in which the Doc was caught and got locked up for the speakeasy fire, nothing else in the game could have happened.

For one thing, if the Doc never went back to 1931 in the first place, then Marty wouldn't have gone back to 1931 to save him in which case, Marty would have never befriended the young Emmett Brown and the Doc couldn't have fixed his relationship with his father.

As far as I'm certain, this is more or less what happened in the final version of event....

1) The event of the movies played out as it did but the Doc never made the connection between Marty and the young man he befriended in 1931.

2) The Doc goes back to 1931 to make a present for Marty but got jailed for the speakeasy fire. Marty to the rescue (events of Ep. 1/2) and befriends a young Emmett Brown.

3) As far as the Doc is concern, after the rescue, everything was fine and he heads back to 1986. He still has not made the connection between the Marty of 1931 and the Marty of 1986 (even through he was right there and told Marty to befriend his younger self!).

This Doc Brown doesn't know the existence of Citizen Brown. As far as he is concern, as a young man, he dated Edna for two months or so, he never went to see Frankenstein and he had a good relationship with his father. The young man he befriended who helped him catch Kid Tannen disappeared for two months only to reappeared on the day of the science fair (events of Ep. 5).

4) Later (in 1986) he accepts the Key to the City and opens the newspaper clipping from 1931 like he promised. Finally the Doc makes the connection and heads back to 1931 to help Marty.

The main problem with this explaination is Marty. As far as this timeline is concern, there is a Marty McFly that exists who landed safe and sound with Doc Brown, in 1986 after the events of Ep 1/2 but because the events of ep. 5 needed to happen in order for this timeline exist at all, this 1986 Marty would have been phase out of existence but we never got to see it on screen (much like the goody two-shoes Marty would have phase out of existence along with the entire Citizen Brown timeline).

The thing I'm unhappy about is it was the stolen DeLorean that got phased out of time and not the Doc Brown's one. The DeLorean that crashed is the same DeLorean that Marty took with him from Ep. 1 so if it's accepted that this Marty, the one we've been playing is the correct version of Marty, then the DeLorean that should be phase out of existence after the crash should have been the one Doc Brown came in on.
  • No, I don't think so, I think this Doc would have experienced the events of 1931. Without the event of 1931 in which the Doc was caught and got locked up for the speakeasy fire, nothing else in the game could have happened.

For one thing, if the Doc never went back to 1931 in the first place, then Marty wouldn't have gone back to 1931 to save him in which case, Marty would have never befriended the young Emmett Brown and the Doc couldn't have fixed his relationship with his father.

As far as I'm certain, this is more or less what happened in the final version of event....

1) The event of the movies played out as it did but the Doc never made the connection between Marty and the young man he befriended in 1931.

2) The Doc goes back to 1931 to make a present for Marty but got jailed for the speakeasy fire. Marty to the rescue (events of Ep. 1/2) and befriends a young Emmett Brown.

3) As far as the Doc is concern, after the rescue, everything was fine and he heads back to 1986. He still has not made the connection between the Marty of 1931 and the Marty of 1986 (even through he was right there and told Marty to befriend his younger self!).

This Doc Brown doesn't know the existence of Citizen Brown. As far as he is concern, as a young man, he dated Edna for two months or so, he never went to see Frankenstein and he had a good relationship with his father. The young man he befriended who helped him catch Kid Tannen disappeared for two months only to reappeared on the day of the science fair (events of Ep. 5).

4) Later (in 1986) he accepts the Key to the City and opens the newspaper clipping from 1931 like he promised. Finally the Doc makes the connection and heads back to 1931 to help Marty.

The main problem with this explaination is Marty. As far as this timeline is concern, there is a Marty McFly that exists who landed safe and sound with Doc Brown, in 1986 after the events of Ep 1/2 but because the events of ep. 5 needed to happen in order for this timeline exist at all, this 1986 Marty would have been phase out of existence but we never got to see it on screen (much like the goody two-shoes Marty would have phase out of existence along with the entire Citizen Brown timeline).

The thing I'm unhappy about is it was the stolen DeLorean that got phased out of time and not the Doc Brown's one. The DeLorean that crashed is the same DeLorean that Marty took with him from Ep. 1 so if it's accepted that this Marty, the one we've been playing is the correct version of Marty, then the DeLorean that should be phase out of existence after the crash should have been the one Doc Brown came in on.

Doc not only tells marty he did originally go to 1931 but WHY (the mcfly scrapbook!)
    Minor correction; from Emmets perspective marty disappears for two months TWICE in 1931; he first meets him in June for episodes 1 and the first half of 2, the second half of episode 2 is in August and episode 4-5 takes place in October.

The automatic retreival system sends the delorean through time near the end.
  • edited October 2011
    The automatic retreival system sends the delorean through time near the end.

It's hard to accept this as the explaination because Doc Brown clearly said that the crashed DeLorean disappeared because it was unstable in time. Secondly if it was retreived, where/when did it get retrieved to?

If it was retreived the same way it was from Ep1, then wherever it is now, there are still two copies of the DeLorean somewhere in that timeline.

I actually think that the writers did an excellent job in holding the story together and I can't think of any paradoxes I can poke at except this one thing. I really feel that it was the wrong DeLorean that got phase out of time.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, You are right the new game is bit of easy as compared to old part. They should make it more difficult and adventurous to make it more popular and interesting. I also seen all the part of movie they can also get idea from the movies it is very nice movie directed by Steven Spielberg.
  • edited April 2012
    I just restarted and got through the glasshouse.

the glasshouse annoyed the hell out of me the first time i played it, i did a lot of things and got evidence that edna was the arsonist, then went looking for doc, found out where he was and entered the glasshouse just to be trapped, i now know it was cause your not meant to do it in that order, your meant to free young emmett first then get evidence against edna to move the story along, doing it backwards creates the bug, which is probably why it wasn't noticed. There should be some way for the bug to not be created again, the developers could simply close down the future exhibit till you've released young emmett. That makes sense
  • edited April 2012
    How is it not the same Doc? At the end he gave Marty that McFly History book and mentioned the whole reason he went back to 1931 in the first place was to find more information about his grandmother. So he must remember everything.

its not the same doc anymore, him making up with his father creates a new doc, your logic is flawed, how exactly does he remember everything?

the fact is he lives in 1986 now and he was giving marty a present, he was creating a mcfly family tree, but left out sylvia because she was going by trixie, which he never knew, so he went to 1931 and coincidentally met marty, its unknown whether there is a marty in 1986 who never went back, seems logical there would be if doc never got stranded in 1931 in the first place and marty had to rescue him
  • edited April 2012
    Datadog wrote: »
    LOVED that ending.

Actually, that ending seemed like something they'd do in a parody of "Back of the Future," but if you guys could actually make a sensible story out of what I just saw in the last two minutes before credits, I'd be behind you 100%.

The rest of the game was really fun and very well done. The closing chase, especially.

My chief complaint is that these last three episodes all feel mismanaged in terms of pacing. Where episode 4 begins is where episode 3 should have ended, and where episode 5 begins is where episode 4 should have ended. I sometimes like cliffhangers, but I much more enjoy the feeling of a complete plot per episode. "Citizen Brown" should have been all 1986, "Double Visions" should have been all 1931 Expo, and "OUTATIME" should have been all chase (and include a trip into the future as the synopsis had been promising for months.)

My other complaint is difficulty blah blah blah linearity blah blah blah - just go back to the old formula already. Opening puzzle, three puzzles, mid-game puzzle, three puzzles, ending puzzle. It was formulaic but it felt so much more rewarding. Want it back now.

Third complaint: do serious beta-testing next time. The fact that doing the "Dirt on Edna" puzzle first can break the game in the glass house was ridiculous. Especially since Edna's puzzle can be easily solved first.

End of complaints:

You people did an amazing job of recapturing the magic of "Back to the Future." All the twists, turns, and awkward reveals are there, and you even eventually escaped the fan-service long enough to bring some new elements into the franchise.

The music was exceptionally good this time around. Something about it felt familiar, yet new. Maybe it was new music, or maybe it was just put into a new context. Either way, I felt something listening to it.

The voice acting was fantastic as usual. Michael J Fox was an awesome addition to the episode. Somehow after waiting two months, I found myself particularly attached to these characters. Within the first couple minutes, I was already excited to see what Artie was up to this time (he was sitting behind a table. Good for him!)

Beautiful work on the cinematics. The composition, the placement, the direction - I can see where all the real work went into.

If I could request anything for a later "Back to the Future" game that I was really hoping for from Telltale, it's this: I want to use time travel to solve puzzles. Just like in "Day of the Tentacle" or "ChronoTrigger," give me multiple time periods that I can jump back and forth to so I can play with the space-time continuum. Hopefully this will become more feasible in the second season.

the whole dirt on edna puzzle should have been made impossible to do, disabling the house of the future so you can't get the plant should have been done, its silly to let you do one thing so you run into a bug, which is what i did the first time i played it
  • edited June 2012
    I just finished BTTF. /notes thoughts <3

To begin, I thought the stylised characters mixed with mature dialogue was an awkward combination. (Later in the series I grew to accept this style.)

I thought the story was very interesting. I especially loved how the game explored a cheesy 1930s gangster environment and later a totalitarian '1984' (George Orwell) inspired environment. Adding references like the 'Ministry of Tourism' (Ministry of Truth) in the game was cute. :P

The characters were memorable and the voice acting was well done. Marty's voice actor felt very genuine.

The puzzles mostly felt obvious and easy. I think having the ability to combine inventory items would have increased the complexity.

The invisible walls were excessive and annoying. Examine Marty's home in episode 3 for example. Having Marty unable to walk down the street was understandable. But having Marty unable to walk on the lawn? Ridiculous. I felt like I was pushing Marty along a path instead of exploring an environment.

I think that's all I have to say. Overall, the game was an enjoyable experience and I will be looking forward to the next series if made. c:
  • edited December 2012
    This was the first Telltale Games I have played through and I think the series was overall very good. I liked the puzzle system where you're easily able to get hints if you get stuck. The only time, I resorted to youtube was in episode 4 where Emmett's "reputation card" had to be created. I knew what was the idea, but didn't like that puzzle. I had no use for the goal system.

Other comments:
    - Moving with the mouse was a little difficult. I would have preferred a more classical moving system. This why, I decided to use keyboard for moving and not playing from couch with TV screen.
    - While playing episode 1 & 2 I got blue screen near the endings (Win7/GoG), I had no issue with later episodes.
    - The episode 5 has a game stopping bug in the glass room. I was able to walk through a wall and got stuck there. Had to continue from the last autosave position (lucky that there is autosave system as I hadn't saved during the process)
    - In addition, if you take an item from the police booth after the police man is gone, "empty" person speaks to you.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.