BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

Comments

• edited June 2011
    63cohen wrote: »
    That is ignorance with some sugar added in. You sir are ignorant to think no one can find a game challenging.
    Perhaps people who are entirely confused by the concept of a computer. My grandmother, for instance, who can barely fathom how her email client works, may have difficulty due to confusions over aspects like "Which one is the cursor again?" and asks questions like "Which one is the Start button?"

IhNcl.jpg

Play something like this, and mathematically compare the complexity of the interaction in each scene with a corresponding scene in Back to the Future. You will find that "Putt Putt Travels Through Time"(or perhaps "Putt Putt: Pip's Birthday Surprise" is more to your liking?), and you'll find that games developed and released with the intention of being given to, at most, 6 year-old children has a provably greater range of interactivity and complexity than Back to the Future: The Game.
  • edited June 2011
    Now you are just making fun of people. You are making fun of anyone who enjoyed this game.
  • edited June 2011
    Now you are just making fun of people. You are making fun of anyone who enjoyed this game.
    No, I'm not. I'm saying that the idea that this game has complexity and interactivity that is greater even than titles developed for children just barely into grade school is entirely indefensible from an objective and quantifiable standpoint.
  • edited June 2011
    You are a cute flame baiter, yes you are.

We are done here, I don't deal with flame baiters.
  • edited June 2011
    There are some reasonably good puzzles in this game as well as bad ones. The fact that your only using one example doesn't make me think your answer is very convincing.
  • edited June 2011
    You are a cute flame baiter, yes you are.

We are done here, I don't deal with flame baiters.
    I accept your surrender.
    There are some reasonably good puzzles in this game as well as bad ones. The fact that your only using one example doesn't make me think your answer is very convincing.
    If one isn't enough, how about every puzzle in episode 3? It's a bit more sarcastic of a read-through than I'd care for in retrospect, but it counts aspects such as camera focus, item use, interactive object prominence, the inclusion of alternate paths, glitches and bugs. Overall, I think it's fairly thorough, despite the attitude of the piece that came from doing nothing but playing Episode 3 for three days straight. I think I've earned the right to say my opinions are fairly well thought through, or at least thoroughly researched.
  • edited June 2011
    ...I'm pretty sure I've never been called a deity of any sort. Since I don't believe in the existence of deities, my being one would present an interesting existential question. =P

You don't remember the Church of Dashing founded by my own good self and Comrade Pants? Dashtafarians everywhere weep at this news. T_T
  • edited June 2011
    You don't remember the Church of Dashing founded by my own good self and Comrade Pants? Dashtafarians everywhere weep at this news. T_T
    Like most Western deities, I got bored and forgot my followers after awhile. It's tough work, actually performing miracles and the like. That's why deities only ever bothered in ancient times, the idea was fresh and new then. =P
  • edited June 2011
    Like most Western deities, I got bored and forgot my followers after awhile. It's tough work, actually performing miracles in the like. That's why deities only ever bothered in ancient times, the idea was fresh and new then. =P

Well you did leave because our sins were annoying. I guess that's a whole lot more honest then some deities out there.
  • edited June 2011
    Just played the 5th episode. When I heard Mr. Fox voice I didn't believe it. Then I read the credits and it was the man himself!!! Started crying like a little girl, I mean it! Dude, we all know he is sick, but he still made some effort to be in the game, just to make us happy (surely made me happy)!!! In a world where so many try to give us misery, he still shows up in the end of the party at least to say that he cares for his fans! I wanna see the making of vids, with mr. Fox doing his few but great lines! Someone have it? A link maybe??? I sure hope those vids will be in my free disc.
    While writin' this, I took a little time to dig into youtube, but the only vid I found doesn't show Mr. Fox.
    I don't know... Maybe I'm overreacting... I'm speechless... guess all the fans here also thought out loud the words "Great Scott!" when noticed this pleasant cameo...
  • edited June 2011
    Dashing's argument about Putt-Putt can't be more true.

It's been a while since i realise that the average difficulty of todays adventure games it's basically the same to yesterdays kiddy adventure games. And im not trying to make fun of anyone, it's just the truth.

People that think that there is nothing wrong with Telltale way of making adventures should play the Humongous titles, at least to see that we are not joking.
  • edited June 2011
    ..but how is that solved by ANOTHER SHITTY GAME?
    Stop bashing people's opinions. You do this in every thread.
  • edited June 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Stop bashing people's opinions. You do this in every thread.
    I didn't do any such thing.
  • edited June 2011
    Like most Western deities, I got bored and forgot my followers after awhile. It's tough work, actually performing miracles and the like. That's why deities only ever bothered in ancient times, the idea was fresh and new then. =P

^^Wow. This is the first time that I have laughed at one of your posts. Good job Dashing.

I do have to agree with one thing that Dashing says. There's no consequence for failure in these games. None. I would have liked to see what they could have done with failures, especially given the interesting death scenes shown for Jurassic Park. As annoyed as I get when I get a Game Over, I think something like Back to the Future could've had a very interesting way to depict Game Overs.
  • edited June 2011
    So far, that is the only flaw I see, no game over. I do feel like I am missing out on much if there is nothing negative, as the story could easily replace whatever bad happened and make it part of the story. I sorta want to see that, a multiple path game where wrong responses or screw ups don't kill you with a game over, but simply adjust the story slightly.
  • edited June 2011
    I feel like Dashing is fighting a losing battle in a pro-BTTF forum. Have to agree with him though.

The story was great and both Marty and Doc are voiced well. They also did a good job of throwing in bits and pieces of the trilogy in to the story.

Everything else...was crap. The puzzles couldn't even be called puzzles, especially when there are only five things to click on a screen and only a couple items to work with. The atmosphere was horrible, there were hardly any characters on the screen. The areas were reused over and over. The path was linear. The jokes were non-existant. I've never been bored playing an adventure game until this one...I was tempted to use the hints just to get through the story because I wasn't having any fun. This is coming from someone who enjoyed the much better Sam & Max series as well as Monkey Island from Telltale.
  • edited June 2011
    Nothing more I can say that Dashing hasn't already said here. This season has been disappointing for me, both as a BttF fan and compared to previous Telltale adventures (but I'm not sorry I played through it). I hope they don't continue to hold themselves back like this in future series.
  • edited June 2011
    I want to add on to my review by stating that back when Episode Two was just released, I was on the opposite side of the debate as Rather Dashing. (Even said I'd punch him in the face at one point.)

But the more I played this farce of a game, the more my opinion changed. At first it was "This is a good game." Then it became "It's a bad game but I like the story anyway." Finally with the sheer farsical nonsense that was OUTATIME I had to conclude that, save from voice acting--and even that's questionable with some of the characters--there's nothing salvagable here. Nothing good. It's a ruddy piece of crap.

Rather Dashing is right, people. Give him the credit that is due and spend some time THINKING about what you've experienced instead of automatically rejecting his opinion just because he's acerbic about it.
  • edited June 2011
    Kyronea wrote: »
    Rather Dashing is right, people. Give him the credit that is due and spend some time THINKING about what you've experienced instead of automatically rejecting his opinion just because he's acerbic about it.

I DO think about what I've experienced, and I still enjoyed it.
  • edited June 2011
    He's not right. A game is not defined by the difficulty of its puzzles. I can understand the disappointment, especially if BttF is so very different from Telltale's earlier games, but all of his (true) arguments don't make the game crappy. They do for him, yes. And lots of others. But that's personal preference again, not fact.
  • edited June 2011
    It's not SHITTY. It's alright. STOP BASHING PEOPLES OPINIONS!

IT's not.

It's barely average. If anything it's not a "good game".

I'd agree it's "less crappy", but ... the koreans that made the shitty games didn't even know what BTTF was.

With Bob Gale involved, a whole team of fans, of pro adventure dev, you'd expect something better than "if there wasn't Chris Lloyd Aj and Mj, the whole thing would be a pile of monkey turds".

And even with that it's just boring because they dragged a maxi 3 hours story content wise into a 12 hours game.
  • edited June 2011
    Who are these Koreans?

I doubt they could have made a 3 hour movie out of this content, what with all the extra time lines and all. I would say it would have to be at least 4 to 5 hours, or two movie length sizes, which cost a hell of a lot more to make and produce than a video game.
  • edited June 2011
    I want to add on to my review by stating that back when Episode Two was just released, I was on the opposite side of the debate as Rather Dashing. (Even said I'd punch him in the face at one point.)

But the more I played this farce of a game, the more my opinion changed. At first it was "This is a good game." Then it became "It's a bad game but I like the story anyway." Finally with the sheer farsical nonsense that was OUTATIME I had to conclude that, save from voice acting--and even that's questionable with some of the characters--there's nothing salvagable here. Nothing good. It's a ruddy piece of crap.

It is still just an opinion. Now you are trying to state it as a fact.
    I thought about what I experienced and I still enjoyed it.
  • edited June 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    It is still just an opinion. Now you are trying to state it as a fact.
    I thought about what I experienced and I still enjoyed it.
    You didn't ANALYZE it. There is really no way to justify this game's existence in an intelligent way because any exploration of its mechanics shows that there AREN'T any, that there is literally nothing even approaching an acceptable excuse for this being released as interactive software in the first place.
  • edited June 2011
    This is my first posting on here. Also this is my first TTG game. I come from a long history of interactive point and click adventure games.
    I would lie if I said i didn't enjoy this series from a story perspective. For a 4th BTTF movie, this would of been great.
    As an adventure game, i weigh it against those others i played over the years including: Star Trek 25th anniversary, Star Trek Judgement Rites, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle. And in that vein, this series pailed in comparison.
    In those old games i mentioned, you felt fully immersed in the world you were in. The games would start off with easy little puzzles, and then crank up the difficulty the further into the game you got.
    The branching text choices, ESPECIALLY in the star trek games, really flowed, depending on what you were saying. The conversations would grow and change with what you were saying. In BTTF, it was basically 3 sentence choices and 1 sentence choice that you did need to say, with it just going linearily. With the trek games, it was so much more dynamic. You truly felt like Captain Kirk, making decisions. With marty it was just click from point A to point B in a linear fashion.
    I'm on the fence with a BTTF season 2. Now for all I know, TTG's other adventure games are like those i mentioned above. BTTF is the only game of theirs i've ever played, so i cant compare it against their other works.
    Just my two cents.
  • edited June 2011
    trekker26 wrote: »
    I'm on the fence with a BTTF season 2. Now for all I know, TTG's other adventure games are like those i mentioned above. BTTF is the only game of theirs i've ever played, so i cant compare it against their other works.
    Just my two cents.
    Telltale actually made one of my favorite modern adventure games with Sam and Max: Season Two. I called it my favorite game of the year at the time, my favorite gaming experience of 2008. You should try the free Sam and Max episode Abe Lincoln Must Die. It's from Season one, so it's somewhat less polished technically than its successors, but it's very fun, interactive, humorous and enjoyable. Also: free.
  • edited June 2011
    Another thing I question was the way you interacted with your environment. For instance, in the old Interplay trek games, you could look, talk, use items, etc etc. And now everything was just "one click." I'm not quite sure how i felt about that. I can see the positives and negatives of it.
  • edited June 2011
    after further thinking, I finally nailed it on what my biggest critique was of this series. In this game, you simply guided Marty from point A to B. In say, for instance, the old Interplay trek games, you had control over your character. You could make Kirk either the greatest hero who ever lived, or make him a complete dirtbag, just by how you interacted with your environment.
    For instance, you could be starfleet's golden boy by talking like a good little captain to an alien. Or threaten him with your phaser, call him alien scum.
    To me, that was a key ingredient missing in this BTTF adventure game.
  • edited June 2011
    I doubt they could have made a 3 hour movie out of this content, what with all the extra time lines and all. I would say it would have to be at least 4 to 5 hours, or two movie length sizes, which cost a hell of a lot more to make and produce than a video game.

If we remove all the walking clicking, and keep only the most interesting plotlines (which is, for instance, not including things like the stupid soup kitchen puzzle etc..), taking shortcuts, and changing all the "puzzles" to regular dialog / action scene ...

A 2h30 hour movie is COMPLETELY doable. But I really don't see what's so cool about the story that it would deserve a movie, anyway.
    after further thinking, I finally nailed it on what my biggest critique was of this series. In this game, you simply guided Marty from point A to B. In say, for instance, the old Interplay trek games, you had control over your character. You could make Kirk either the greatest hero who ever lived, or make him a complete dirtbag, just by how you interacted with your environment.
    For instance, you could be starfleet's golden boy by talking like a good little captain to an alien. Or threaten him with your phaser, call him alien scum.
    To me, that was a key ingredient missing in this BTTF adventure game.

That's more of a role play than an adventure game. (even though Blade Runner, Heavy Rain, Shadow of Memories etc... all gave consequences and impact to your choices)
  • edited June 2011
    Strayth wrote: »
    If we remove all the walking clicking, and keep only the most interesting plotlines (which is, for instance, not including things like the stupid soup kitchen puzzle etc..), taking shortcuts, and changing all the "puzzles" to regular dialog / action scene ...

A 2h30 hour movie is COMPLETELY doable. But I really don't see what's so cool about the story that it would deserve a movie, anyway.

That's more of a role play than an adventure game. (even though Blade Runner, Heavy Rain, Shadow of Memories etc... all gave consequences and impact to your choices)

Ah ok, so in those old trek games, they added in a bit of the role play with the gameplay.

Well i thought it was an entertaining story, sure they could easily trim alot of the "fat" out to make it a two hour movie. But even then I think it would be the prequels of the star wars movies, or the Indiana Jones 4 of the indy series.
  • edited June 2011
    I didn't read all the posts in this thread, although I can see there are some heated disagreements about this game.

But don't you all agree, that this whole game - and particularly season 5 - is waaaaay too easy and linear? Which is a shame, because the story is fun and the characters interesting.

Great voice acting and animation, which is really a welcome change from the games I have been playing lately. (Soulless games from Bigfish Games, which I got because I accidently purchased a membership that I felt I had to put to some use before terminating it.)

I also just played The Next Big Thing from Pendulo, and got the same feeling. Wonderfully drawn, great voice acting, great characters. But too easy. Though not quite as easy as BTTF. Which was WAY TOO EASY, Telltale people!

Still - looking forward to the sequel. Which I hope will be a little bit harder, please, Telltale people!
  • edited June 2011
    RATHER DASHING, are you sure you don't have Cassandra somewhere in your family tree?
    Man, I support you in everything. Thought you were a nuisance. In fact, I think now that if Telltale's going to ignore your remarks, I won't buy any single piece off them. Enough said.

Oh my dear...

No, just no.

Plain bad.

We all knew that graphics was bad, music was acceptable or good and so forth... but what I really counted on was story. And the fifth episode managed to spoil it all for me.

In a few points:

CHARACTER CONSISTENCY: What a bummer. The game practically takes you and tells you: "Now, you're supposed to feel sorry. And now, concerned..." WTF? All right, the characters had potential. Especially Edna, she could have been so much more... But the characters in game shift so suddenly that by the fifth episode, I was honestly thinking that many of the main characters (maybe except Marty) were at lest tri-polar, if not worse. What's EVEN worse, their sudden shifts often negated any story build-up so far. See Emmett's emotion bird brain.

Emmett is an oblivious, happy-go-lucky plot dispenser: you could kill his mother, and he would come to terms with it after one episode.

Edna: we were supposed to hate her, and feel sorry for her: I did dislike her, and I did feel sorry, but not in the places I was "supposed" to. In fact, I felt sorry for her when I saw that appalling last scene.

FCB: Man, what a shape-shifter. To happily repair a DeLorean knowing that your partner is going to overwrite you? And to realise it in a "convenient" moment, so you can build fake plot tension? Bad writing, Telltale. Really bad.
    2nd Doc: You might tell me I'm thick, but his appearance and all the exposition he has been spouting have more (plot)holes than a smelly lump of a Swiss cheese.

PLOT CONSISTENCY AND STRUCTURE: Time-travel part abysmal. I think almost every single rule was flouted for writers' convenience. 'Temporal duplicate' made me cringe. The scene with Doc counting off DeLorean's demise made me cringe, uncringe, and curl my toes, whimpering. Oh why?

Character development was inconsistent and sketchy. I know Telltale wanted very hard to make it believable, but it felt really forced at times, and most of the time, just improbable.

Overall: I know I'll attract a lot of hate. I loved the idea of a BTTF game. I gave it a lot of slack until the third episode. After that, something broke in me. The symptoms of decay were already in Tales. If there is any temporal decay imminent, it must be the one ticking in any franchise Telltale decides to tamper with. I pray to be wrong.

Edna marrying a Tannen? Wrong.

Three Martys? Please, no.

Guys from Telltale: Honestly, I love you for your adventure revival, but I might start to hate you for reviving adventure game as a zombie. You still have a choice.
  • edited June 2011
    feverfew wrote: »
    'Temporal duplicate' made me cringe. The scene with Doc counting off DeLorean's demise made me cringe, uncringe, and curl my toes, whimpering. Oh why?
    Why? Well, if you look in the game's audio files, there are actually a handful of reasons for the DeLorean being back. They just wanted to toss the DeLorean in the game just because, didn't give a fuck if it made anything that even resembles sense at all or did anything for the story, came up with five or so reasons, and it seems the one they finally went with was chosen randomly out of a hat.
  • edited June 2011
    I had the same suspicion, it was so random. Now, you've made it, the game has sunk even lower in my eyes. I'm starting to hope that'll be the last one, ever.
  • edited June 2011
    Why? Well, if you look in the game's audio files, there are actually a handful of reasons for the DeLorean being back. They just wanted to toss the DeLorean in the game just because, didn't give a fuck if it made anything that even resembles sense at all or did anything for the story, came up with five or so reasons, and it seems the one they finally went with was chosen randomly out of a hat.
    What were the other potential reasons? Now I'm curious.
  • Ladies and gents I don't necissarily agree with everything Dashing says but that doesn't make him any more or less wrong than people coming out and saying the game is perfect. Some people obviously dont care for his posts which is fine but this forum has an ignore function. I encountered an individual here who's posts I don't care for (it's not dashing) so I used this feature for that individual and voila! I dont have to read it.

The more I look at this game, the more I feel it left something to be desired. Let's face it we basically saw only TWO time periods and one being the present (the 1876 scenes basically could have been any time period which had bars and roads). They really should have wrapped up the 1931 plotlines (at least the normal one, the alternate one was okay) by the end of episode 4 and let us get to some serious time traveling for the last episode. Instead it stretched out concepts already established from the previous episodes; Edna being corrupt, Danny being a conflicted cop with degrees of incompetence, Arthur being with the mysterious trixie, FCB deciding to preserve his timeline.

Also the fact that telltale put in the to be continued at the end with the possibility that there will be no continuation is a slap in the face IMO and possibly a shameless plug as was the 'premise'.
  • edited June 2011
    What were the other potential reasons? Now I'm curious.

1) Of course the temporal duplicate version(creative and no paradoxes).

2) Doc bought a new one. This, to me, would've been an absolute cop-out.

3) Doc borrowed it from either 1955 or 1885 and intended to return it to its rightful place later down the line. I hate this idea. Too many paradoxes could occur if something happened to the time machine while Doc was using it.

4) "That DeLorean(the one run over by a train) was nothing but an empty shell with a bunch of pinball parts and Christmas tree lights." This...yeah...I think it speaks for itself.
  • edited June 2011
    Building a new one would have been a more logical aproach, i thought during the whole game that doc was lying about the origin of the Delorean because he was hiding something Marty shouldn't know. The time duplicate thing was too lame and random.

When two Deloreans came to play at the end of chapter 5 , i was really sure one of them was gonna be part of the real explanation somehow. But no :(
  • edited June 2011
    That was an awesome way to end the story! If I could shake the hands of MJ and everyone else on the project I would! Thanks for all the hard work and time put into making something worth experiencing!

Lloyd and AJ, I'm really happy to see your dedication for going all in on this. I'd have to say if it weren't for your effort and touch, this game wouldn't have made lightning strike twice for me with the series!

***Spoiler!!!***
    Lastly it was funny to see "to be continued" at the very end, I understand where that's coming from. Nice job guys!
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, it was an awesome ending. I'm really happy about it. Also the 'to be continued'... leaves it open for a possible sequel.

Thank you, Telltale for an amazing journey back to BTTF.
    I really enjoyed Michael's performance too.
    I think they are going to the future.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.