[SPOILERS] CARLEY [Ep 3 discussion]

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I just like how right before she get's shot the game is like "Carley will remember that"
  • edited August 2012
    The only possible way I could envisage seeing Carley again is if Lee has another dream. Perhaps the choices made would influence the dream.

Too bad Carley's death wasn't a dream though.
  • edited August 2012
    i agree with your post ryostiegler, almost...

the problem with the scene, and i think with the rest of the game are choices. What we do don't change anything, no matter what, it's the same result. In fact, no matter what your do in the first and second chapter, the whole third is always the same. The same characters died, always at the same moment without ANY variations... I thinked that my choices can tailor the story, (the story ! not a single event ! ) it was a PR argument for selling the game no ? (A new exemple of the "mass effect syndrome" ? ^^).

But i think the scenarists have good twists in preparation, why ? Because TWD is the most succeful game of telltale, they don't want to throw their potential reputation (and following seasons of the game) in the bin. With the Mass Effect blacklash, telltale have a good hand (in poker term ^^, yes, TWD is an example in their forum numerous time: our choices matters in this game, at last until chapter 3 and yes i WAS a ME fan).

:spoil-o:I remember in the comic the moment when Carl take a bullet in the head, a huge portion of the face was taken off... the hole in the head was reallllly big. But he's alive... Why ? Because you can push your fans, but this have a limit. Glenn died recently and he was the favorite character in the comic, yes but his death had a sense in the story: Rick make a BIG mistake.:spoil-o:

What's mine with Carley' death ?
  • edited August 2012
    malcom155 wrote: »
    i agree with your post ryostiegler, almost...

the problem with the scene, and i think with the rest of the game are choices. What we do don't change anything, no matter what, it's the same result. In fact, no matter what your do in the first and second chapter, the whole third is always the same. The same characters died, always at the same moment without ANY variations... I thinked that my choices can tailor the story, (the story ! not a single event ! ) it was a PR argument for selling the game no ? (A new exemple of the "mass effect syndrome" ? ^^).

But i think the scenarists have good twists in preparation, why ? Because TWD is the most succeful game of telltale, they don't want to throw their potential reputation (and following seasons of the game) in the bin. With the Mass Effect blacklash, telltale have a good hand (in poker term ^^, yes, TWD is an example in their forum numerous time: our choices matters in this game, at last until chapter 3 and yes i WAS a ME fan).

I remember in the comic the moment when Carl take a bullet in the head, a huge portion of the face was taken off... the hole in the head was reallllly big. But he's alive... Why ? Because you can push your fans, but this have a limit. Glenn died recently and he was the favorite character in the comic, yes but his death had a sense in the story: Rick make a BIG mistake.

What's mine with Carley' death ?

If you're going to say something about the comic, be considerate and put a spoiler tag where it should be. Not everyone has read up to the current issue.
  • edited August 2012
    People would no be that angry if there were other characters we could actually fucking save around.

They asked us to make a moral choice to save one or the other (which was the ONLY choice that ever mattered in this game), to write the character off so early ?

With NOT A SINGLE long lasting choice that could have any importance now that episode 3 is done ? REALLY ?

Of course Carley had to die, but it would have been nice to have an option where you can save her. If not, at least let her die at the end, not in the middle when you do this to save time in the writing departement.

We all know they did it so they didn't have to keep track on the "two stories" differences :/ ... Ok the way they did it can be considered clever by some, but the bitterness that comes with their lazyness just doesn't make it seem so clever to me.
  • edited August 2012
    I played Heavy Rain and in that game your choice does influence EVERYTHING..even death on the character you're playing with. I thought it was going to have the same effect in TWD....i was wrong.........................
  • edited August 2012
    Strayth wrote: »
    We all know they did it so they didn't have to keep track on the "two stories" differences :/

I'm curious, you know this how?
  • edited August 2012
    Big mistake to kill off Carley. I know Lily had to be out of the story because of the stupid comic canon but TT should have came up with something different.
  • edited August 2012
    People would no be that angry if there were other characters we could actually fucking save around.

They asked us to make a moral choice to save one or the other (which was the ONLY choice that ever mattered in this game), to write the character off so early ?

With NOT A SINGLE long lasting choice that could have any importance now that episode 3 is done ? REALLY ?

Of course Carley had to die, but it would have been nice to have an option where you can save her. If not, at least let her die at the end, not in the middle when you do this to save time in the writing departement.

We all know they did it so they didn't have to keep track on the "two stories" differences :/ ... Ok the way they did it can be considered clever by some, but the bitterness that comes with their lazyness just doesn't make it seem so clever to me.

I'm sorry but define ''matters''. Because you can't actually say that the only thing that matters is wether somebody lives or die. That's the whole point of the game: the moral choices you make don't really change anything (trying to save Hershel's son or not ; giving a gun to a suicidal girl or not ; cutting the leg of the poor bastard in the woods or not ; killing the woman chased by walkers or not...). Of course, the choices you make don't deeply change the story. What did you expect in 60 days ? A new Skyrim ? You can be pissed of by the ''the game is tailored by how you play'', if you think that based on your playing, the game is going to go to opposite directions, which it doesn't, and never will. But what differs is how you acted to get to where you are. What you had to do, who you trusted, and who you betrayed. Sure, it'd be far more fun if I could say that we all did complete different stuff and lived complete different stories. Sure, it'd be fun if it wasn't that ''linear''. How could I disagree with that ? Having more living or dying choices ; getting to sculpt the story as you like, etc, you're right !

Nonetheless, even so (we're kinda of all in the same position at the beginning of ep. 4), if you think about it, I believe that we did made choices that mattered: killing people in front of Clem, betraying the faith that Kenny had in you by siding with Larry against Duck ; helping kenny to kill Lily's dad ; beating the crap out of Kenny to get him to stop the train. And that's just naming a few of them.

It may not lead you to something different in terms of the story, cause it has to follow some guidelines, but the experience wasn't the same (obviously, this reflexion is kinda killin the ''replaying aspect'' of the game... but... well, what are you gonna do...).
  • edited August 2012
    I was really hoping Clem had a new mommy. :(
  • edited August 2012
    I am really scared of ep4 and 5 because I will find out what I wasted money on:mad: I dont get why they claiming so hardly your choices affect the game. Replay value is zero til ep3:confused:
  • edited August 2012
    I'm sorry but define ''matters''. Because you can't actually say that the only thing that matters is wether somebody lives or die. That's the whole point of the game: the moral choices you make don't really change anything (trying to save Hershel's son or not ; giving a gun to a suicidal girl or not ; cutting the leg of the poor bastard in the woods or not ; killing the woman chased by walkers or not...). Of course, the choices you make don't deeply change the story. What did you expect in 60 days ? A new Skyrim ? You can be pissed of by the ''the game is tailored by how you play'', if you think that based on your playing, the game is going to go to opposite directions, which it doesn't, and never will. But what differs is how you acted to get to where you are. What you had to do, who you trusted, and who you betrayed. Sure, it'd be far more fun if I could say that we all did complete different stuff and lived complete different stories. Sure, it'd be fun if it wasn't that ''linear''. How could I disagree with that ? Having more living or dying choices ; getting to sculpt the story as you like, etc, you're right !

Nonetheless, even so (we're kinda of all in the same position at the beginning of ep. 4), if you think about it, I believe that we did made choices that mattered: killing people in front of Clem, betraying the faith that Kenny had in you by siding with Larry against Duck ; helping kenny to kill Lily's dad ; beating the crap out of Kenny to get him to stop the train. And that's just naming a few of them.

It may not lead you to something different in terms of the story, cause it has to follow some guidelines, but the experience wasn't the same (obviously, this reflexion is kinda killin the ''replaying aspect'' of the game... but... well, what are you gonna do...).

yeah, you are right.. but adding more story, which is affect by you choices would be great so that game could have at least 4 different ending and you are calling it new skyrim? every ep should have at least 2 different story line:(
  • edited August 2012
    You guys, stop acting like choices in adventure game never existed. We're not talking about RPG. We're talking about linear choices and different paths.

But what Telltale has done, is nowhere near those games.

There's ONE PATH. You want me to define what "matters", it's simple, here's how my episode 4 is gonna start :

- Lee Kenny Clem Ben Chuck, and two newcomers

- Clem with short hair having kept a nasty secret

- Carley/Doug being dead

- Lilly away

- Kenny lost his family

- Omid hurt his leg

- Clem couldn't shoot yet

Isn't it the case for you ? I'm pretty sure we had totally different playstyle... And yet it didn't matter in the less.

We always knew the choices and real influence were limited, since episode 1. But at least the journey seemed to somehow adapt slightly to your choices (well it's an illusion, when you replay it's actually even less than that but hey), in episode 3, you have no control over ANYTHING. The same reactions happen, only minor tweaks on some scenes are the result of your choices.

You can't deny that, if episode 1 and 2 weren't really super "adapted" to your choices, at least there were some instances where you could do something and make a difference. Episode 3 is just about following what they want us to do with no freedom whatsoever.
  • edited August 2012
    You guys, stop acting like choices in adventure game never existed. We're not talking about RPG. We're talking about linear choices and different paths.

But what Telltale has done, is nowhere near those games.

There's ONE PATH. You want me to define what "matters", it's simple, here's how my episode 4 is gonna start :

- Lee Kenny Clem Ben Chuck, and two newcomers

- Clem with short hair having kept a nasty secret

- Carley/Doug being dead

- Lilly away

- Kenny lost his family

- Omid hurt his leg

- Clem couldn't shoot yet

Isn't it the case for you ? I'm pretty sure we had totally different playstyle... And yet it didn't matter in the less.

We always knew the choices and real influence were limited, since episode 1. But at least the journey seemed to somehow adapt slightly to your choices (well it's an illusion, when you replay it's actually even less than that but hey), in episode 3, you have no control over ANYTHING. The same reactions happen, only minor tweaks on some scenes are the result of your choices.

You can't deny that, if episode 1 and 2 weren't really super "adapted" to your choices, at least there were some instances where you could do something and make a difference. Episode 3 is just about following what they want us to do with no freedom whatsoever.

well said;) they could more call it movie than game...
  • edited August 2012
    @ awesoke: yep ! i forgot that fact, edited.

@ Strayth: i think it was not too early but badly made, a character can die (even the favorite of the fans) if the death fit the story with a good reason, not a lost bullet.

:spoil-o: in the comic, several characters died because of Rick in the last chapters, "something to fear", Glenn was only the last, he underestimated his opponents. With a good reason you can kill characters :spoil-o:

With Carley's death, i can't see a reason anywhere... Oh yeah, Lilly get angry and kill her... So, the only choice that mattered in the game is now obsolete.

@ RyoStiegler, i don't want a new skyrim, i just a game where my choices tailor the story... (and skyrim is a bad exemple, yours choices influence nothing apart the civil war arc, witch is not the main story ^^) Nothing more... Strangly, which appears on my screen at the beginning of the game is exactly the same but i don't see that anywhere in TWD now. My choices tailor NOTHING in the chapter 3 and Strayth make a good post, we hav all the same game, with the same saves now.
  • edited August 2012
    Well, you know what ? I can see that you guys are right, in a way, and i'm willing to acknowledge it. And this was my first reaction at the end of chapter 3 (in my three saves, it's pretty much the same thing). I am just trying to ''defend'' the undefendable (and quite awfully, apparently^^). I still believe that in my mind, my three saves aren't really the same (deep deep deep down, I haven't had the same character, it's not the same ''Lee'). But storywise, you're all damn right (and yeah Skyrim is a bad example in this matter, but I don't have many references to use, haven't played to videogames in a while... Final Fantasy 7 isn't exactly a good example either^^).

Well, guess I'm just trying to say that, despite all that, I still really like this game :)
  • edited August 2012
    As I stated before in previous threads. The only long last choice and difference between anyones save file, is if Clem has on a hoodie or not. Truly lamentable.
  • edited August 2012
    Oh, and while I'm at it, maybe someone could explain to me why is Lily killing Carley (yeah, my question is genuine, I know^^), in the story ? What is your opinion on that ? Because maybe I missed something, but I don't get why is Lilly suspecting Carley in particular. Why not Kenny and Katjaa ? Cause they have a kid (Lily tells you that if you say ''I did it'') ?I n the ''Doug version'', she kills him by accident, trying to shoot Ben, and it's seems way more logical, 'cause Ben is the last to come in the crew, seems kinda fishy and everything. But have I missed any sign that might have brought suspicion on Carley (except the fact that she tried to defend Ben) ? Or was it jealousy (if that's the case, I missed it too) ?

Seems to me that the only explanation is that Lily became a nutcase, and killed someone out of spite. Why would she kill Carley like that, believing that she could be accepted by the group ? But it doesn't fit with the Doug version, where she tries to kill Ben a bit more ''logically''. Furthermore, if Lilly really broke bad, I guess it's not showed that well. 'Guess they are no right answers, but I really believe that if the good version is that Lilly just snapped, it could have been done in a more obvious way (I mean, showing that Lily really became crazy).
  • edited August 2012
    Thanks to you Carley lived another six months. Pat yourself on the back!

Also, Lilly killed Carley because Carley defended Ben and challenged her. Basically, Lilly turned into a fascist tyrant. Notice how she takes the rifle from Lee and puts it on her nightstand possessively? She's obsessed with control and making sure people do what she says and when Carley challenged her, she had to defend her sense of honor and maintain her power and control by murdering her.
  • edited August 2012
    Oh, and while I'm at it, maybe someone could explain to me why is Lily killing Carley (yeah, my question is genuine, I know^^), in the story ? What is your opinion on that ? Because maybe I missed something, but I don't get why is Lilly suspecting Carley in particular. Why not Kenny and Katjaa ? Cause they have a kid (Lily tells you that if you say ''I did it'') ?I n the ''Doug version'', she kills him by accident, trying to shoot Ben, and it's seems way more logical, 'cause Ben is the last to come in the crew, seems kinda fishy and everything. But have I missed any sign that might have brought suspicion on Carley (except the fact that she tried to defend Ben) ? Or was it jealousy (if that's the case, I missed it too) ?

Seems to me that the only explanation is that Lily became a nutcase, and killed someone out of spite. Why would she kill Carley like that, believing that she could be accepted by the group ? But it doesn't fit with the Doug version, where she tries to kill Ben a bit more ''logically''. Furthermore, if Lilly really broke bad, I guess it's not showed that well. 'Guess they are no right answers, but I really believe that if the good version is that Lilly just snapped, it could have been done in a more obvious way (I mean, showing that Lily really became crazy).

Because Carley was one of the sloppiest characters written in the Tell-Tale universe. I can't think of a more slipshod, poorly written character than this.

In every scenario. From bashing the zombie Travis/David over the head with the a 2x4 in a mad scramble. From the introduction of the St. John brothers tripping the alarm. To his face when he got the biscuits. To using the laser pen, to fixing the camera. To Doug sacrificing himself when he saw Lily pull out the gun to shoot Ben, and Lily reacting shocked, saying she didn't mean to. Every single last transition throughout the scenes is handled better with Doug as opposed to Carley.

I think TellTale realised they made a mistake and just had her shot in cold blood. Lily doesn't even say anything after Lee props her on the RV after shooting Carley.
  • edited August 2012
    Honestly, I don't care for Carley.
  • edited August 2012
    Knew TTG talking out their asses when they said we'd have proper choices.
  • edited August 2012
    Because Doug was never a threat. Lilly is a wannabe bossing everyone around and carley obviously didn't give a shit and often talked back. Doug on the other hand was a sissy and probably puts his tail between his legs never saying a word back to lilly. Thats imo why lilly shot carley in cold blood and was a bit sorry for accidentally shoting doug.

I played both characters and found doug to be better in ep2 but much worse in ep3, maybe because I expected a possible romance too and carley was hitting hard on you. but she seems like a slut imo. Had a crush on doug, then hangs out with ben all the time, and then hits on Lee.
  • edited August 2012
    dubesor wrote: »
    I played both characters and found doug to be better in ep2 but much worse in ep3, maybe because I expected a possible romance too and carley was hitting hard on you. but she seems like a slut imo. Had a crush on doug, then hangs out with ben all the time, and then hits on Lee.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on women's behaviour. I truly don't see why a girl would be a slut for being nice with different guys (and not do anything about it, by the way). And hey this is the apocalypse, one guy gets eaten, you're going to next one. I guess that's what Lee (or us, more precisely) will do, in the season or in the next one. But we won't call him a ''slut'' but a goddamn womanizer^^

But well, I guess this is the great contradiction of life: ''why does a lock opened by every door is called a shitty lock, whereas a key that opens every door is called a masterkey'' ? I'll never know.
  • edited August 2012
    Knew TTG talking out their asses when they said we'd have proper choices.

FUCKING THIS. except i believed them :( after reading all the good review about the first ep i bought the series.

I dont even know if i should finish it now, my aswell watch playthroughs on youtube.

Im so fucked off with myself for buying this piece of shit. The only value is the story which is meant to "tailored to your play style", theres no gameplay value. its actually quite tedious at times.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK

Must be some sorta false advertising law suit or some shit
  • edited August 2012
    I dont even know if i should finish it now, my aswell watch playthroughs on youtube.

You can say that about any game. But, Walking Dead is a prime example, the experience is quite different.

And I don't see any false advertisement...the choices matter, but not in the godlike way in some other games, and even those most the time do not offer real branching storylines...Your choices matter to yourself. And most of the times it is not what you want...it is want you get in this crazy world.

I really don't get it. Really, the outrage about Carleys death...it's a zombie apocalypse, you don't expect everybody to survive only because you demand it, right? But maybe I'm wrong...but I still enjoy any second of this ride.
  • edited August 2012
    but she seems like a slut imo. Had a crush on doug, then hangs out with ben all the time, and then hits on Lee.

Just because Lilly says Carley and Ben have something going on does not make it true. It just makes Lilly a crazy batshit liar who hates Carley for standing up to her.

So Carley had a crush on Doug SIX MONTHS AGO. Oh no, guess she has to pine for him for the rest of her life?

Seriously, come on now.
  • edited August 2012
    aaarrgh... just got through ep.3

why carley, she was the only character i cared about besides clementine... i seriously wanted to shoot lilly in the leg and leave her for the walkers there, but the game didnt let me!

telltale is a real cruel game developer... *annoyed*

or it just makes sense from a marketing point of view... you dont have to pay both voice actors for 5 episodes this way...
  • edited August 2012
    Zombie2k12 wrote: »
    aaarrgh... just got through ep.3

why carley, she was the only character i cared about besides clementine... i seriously wanted to shoot lilly in the leg and leave her for the walkers there, but the game didnt let me!

telltale is a real cruel game developer... *annoyed*

or it just makes sense from a marketing point of view... you dont have to pay both voice actors for 5 episodes this way...

it would be better to pay for both voice actors and substitute that for Christa and Omid...

Because at this point I pretty much lost all the people that I liked and care for. Now it's only Clem...
  • edited August 2012
    it would be better to pay for both voice actors and substitute that for Christa and Omid...

Because at this point I pretty much lost all the people that I liked and care for. Now it's only Clem...

It was bound to happen I guess. Do not worry I'm sure that a new group will be formed soon.
  • edited August 2012
    YamiRaziel wrote: »
    It was bound to happen I guess. Do not worry I'm sure that a new group will be formed soon.

the bad thing about storytelling is, that you cant just substitute every character for a new one...

i know that this is "the walking dead", but telltale just killed of two of the most likeable characters, katjaa and carley. would have been interesting to see how katjaa copes with the worst thing that could possibly happen to her, or lee showing some self doubt and sharing it with carley... now you got ben (useless), kenny (timebomb from now on i think) and a few characters who barely had screen time...

kenny and lilly were annoying me from the moment they started their rivalry (which was the moment they met).
  • edited September 2012
    Why can't Telltale make it just so the bullet scraped her cheek or something? I've seen her death countles times now, and no, the bullet doesn't hit her to the forehead, not actually even in the center of her face, more like her left cheek.

Bring her the fuck back.
  • edited September 2012
    Why can't Telltale make it just so the bullet scraped her cheek or something? I've seen her death countles times now, and no, the bullet doesn't hit her to the forehead, not actually even in the center of her face, more like her left cheek.

Bring her the fuck back.

This.100% agree
  • edited September 2012
    the bullet goes right her left eye.. she was instantly dead.
  • edited September 2012
    the bullet goes right her left eye.. she was instantly dead.

Wrong, went and scrapped her left cheek.
    Heres a pic:
    2m6ajq8.png

Only thing stopping Telltale from bringing her back is that they want to keep a dark story. Frankly, the story is too dark. If clementine dies, my Lee has got nothing left to live for. If it were budget issues they should of scrapped Christa or the other guy for Carley since shes the most likable character in the series right now -_-
  • edited September 2012
    I just finished the sequence where Carley got shot. It seems kind of pointless that she seemed to be interested in Lee romantically only to get shot a very short time later. Also if her life has to mandarorily end, why like 30 seconds before she is shot, a notification pops up saying "Carley will remember that"?? Yeah, she'll remember it...for a whole half of a minute... I am like 95% certain this is the end of her but man I hope she really didn't die. She was cool.
  • edited September 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ovhst2cmw&feature=g-upl

On another note, I'll probably stop playing the game for now since I can't be bothered with it due to the characters being bad, not only that, I can't be bothered with playing each episode which usually lasts me 2-3 hours, so I'll probably wait for the next 2 episodes and see if anything sparks my interest again.
  • edited September 2012
    Wrong, went and scrapped her left cheek.
    Heres a pic:
    2m6ajq8.png

Only thing stopping Telltale from bringing her back is that they want to keep a dark story. Frankly, the story is too dark. If clementine dies, my Lee has got nothing left to live for. If it were budget issues they should of scrapped Christa or the other guy for Carley since shes the most likable character in the series right now -_-

I miss Carley just as much as the next guy but if they bring her back i wont be able to take the game as seriously as before. It hurts right now, we're all in the denial stage but we knew it was coming :( . It would be cool for her to come back in a dream or something though.
  • edited September 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ovhst2cmw&feature=g-upl

On another note, I'll probably stop playing the game for now since I can't be bothered with it due to the characters being bad, not only that, I can't be bothered with playing each episode which usually lasts me 2-3 hours, so I'll probably wait for the next 2 episodes and see if anything sparks my interest again.
  • edited September 2012
    That bullet hole looks pretty big, and it seems to hit her temple rather than cheek.

She could have survived, but a set of improbable circumstances have to occur. She is hundreds of miles away from Lee and the group, and is surrounded by walkers. If an ambulance came along soon after, then perhaps maybe. But it just seems so far fetched. And no doubt she would require extensive recoop time.

Honestly, I still think the best chance to see her again is in a dream, and that "Carley will remember that choice" will influence how that dream is shaped.
This discussion has been closed.