[SPOILERS] CARLEY [Ep 3 discussion]

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Orenishii wrote: »
    I hope that she will come back, she was one of my favorite characters including Lee and Clem. Carley's and Lee's relationship was really becoming interesting, I always knew something would hit off between them, well sorta. It's a shame she died. Dislike Telltale!

Again, I would love to have Carley back but I can't see that happening. If she wasn't so violently jerked away from us, we might not be so upset. Not even a chance to say goodbye. At best perhaps TTG will do something to smooth things over about her death. If her memories are merely discarded like yesterday's paper in the last two episodes, it won't help.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley died yes but so did duck so i consider it a fair trade off.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley was my favorite but it's impossible for her to come back. Even if she survived she's like 100+ miles away from Lee and the gang. I think we"ll see her in a dream sequence where we"ll finally find out what really went down with the Senator and his wife. Someone else also posted that Lee could find a letter in his back pocket from Carley which could be like some sort of confession or "watch your back" thing as well depending on the relationship.
  • edited September 2012
    As much as I'd like her back, with only two episodes left, I don't see how it could even be possible.

Of course, they never checked on her to see if she was alive or dead.... and there is another season coming....
  • edited September 2012
    DreadMagus wrote: »
    As much as I'd like her back, with only two episodes left, I don't see how it could even be possible.

Of course, they never checked on her to see if she was alive or dead.... and there is another season coming....

That'd be interesting , If Carley finds a new group and they join Lee in Season 2 we wouldn't have any trust issues accepting a new group.
  • edited September 2012
    How Lee handled Carleys Death was really sloppy written in my opinion.
    There was no time for a burial? Because what? Walkers?

He should have carried her into the RV, you just dont let somebody lying on the side on the street, especially sb who you liked. He should have hoped that she somehow survived the shot. (Remember Carl in the Comics? Yup sb. blew half of his face off) Heck, I would have been happy if he could just shed a tear.

I mean there was so much potential on how to handle the loss of a dear groupmember. Not just let him lay on the side of a road and devote him 2 speech lines. (Ben and Katjaa).

I kinda got that feeling that her death wasn't planned, but got changed mid development, because they couldnt keep up with the deadlines.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley/Doug WILL die. The other stuff people have been complaining about? Apparently there are other alternatives. Nobody's found them yet, far as I've seen.

alternatives for what situations?
  • edited September 2012
    Seath wrote: »
    He should have carried her into the RV

A dead body and two little kids in a RV? Yeah, that's not twisted. The appropriate response to Carley's death at the time was anger, which Lee did quite well and I didn't see a shovel in his inventory and then the situation was rapidly followed up with a bite victim. There's nothing wrong with feeding the critters, but the walkers don't eat dead meat.
  • edited September 2012
    Cyreen wrote: »
    A dead body and two little kids in a RV? Yeah, that's not twisted. The appropriate response to Carley's death at the time was anger, which Lee did quite well and I didn't see a shovel in his inventory and then the situation was rapidly followed up with a bite victim. There's nothing wrong with feeding the critters, but the walkers don't eat dead meat.

as if the kids haven't seen hundreds of dead bodies at this point. (walkers and people)
  • edited September 2012
    No, they haven't seen anyone die like that before. Walkers aren't people.
  • edited September 2012
    No, they haven't seen anyone die like that before. Walkers aren't people.

The St. John Brothers, Larry, The bandits, etc. They saw all of those, and most of those were worse than a simple bullet wound.
  • edited September 2012
    You do make a good counterpoint....
  • edited September 2012
    Grimez wrote: »
    The St. John Brothers, Larry, The bandits, etc. They saw all of those, and most of those were worse than a simple bullet wound.

That's your game, not mine. Obviously you were less concerned about the kids to begin with, so hauling around a corpse wouldn't be a stretch. The bandits are not "hundreds" of dead bodies and Clem and Duck were hiding and didn't actually "see" most of that.
  • edited September 2012
    Touche, when I said hundreds I was including walkers. Bandits would probably be somewhere from 10 - 50.
  • edited September 2012

The kids thing is not an acceptable excuse, nobody knew about any bite victim yet either. He didn't even bother checking her pulse or even looking at her. Kenny just stepped over her and didn't look either. Ben didn't even do a closer inspection, just looked at Carley and thats it....
    He should of just took her in the RV for closer inspection and a funeral. If you choose to take Lily with you, you don't see any walkers in the backround, you just get a cutscene of Carley and the dead walkers body so theres no rush of walkers coming for ya which leads me to this quote....
    How Lee handled Carleys Death was really sloppy
    I kinda got that feeling that her death wasn't planned, but got changed mid development, because they couldnt keep up with the deadlines.

I got this feeling too. Disappointed TTG, disappointed. It was there because of budget issues, but I'd prefer for Chuck or Christa or that other guy to get scrapped for budget issues instead of Doug/ Carley -_-. BEN would be the perfect person to get scrapped instead! Nobody literally cares about him right now....
  • edited September 2012
    Honestly, I thought they handled the death well. Carley's death was the first time a video game made me sit up and shout at the TV. I made the decision to leave Lily there before I knew the option even existed and I would have killed her with my bare hands if they had let me. Lee got into that van and was shocked, he hadn't come to terms with it and neither had I. That's what good story telling does, it elicts strong emotions from you and sparks great debates like this.
    I've had a few moments of intense emotion, when the brothers threatened Clem, I straight lost my shit and choose to run at them. It didn't even matter that I knew I'd probably be shot. Waking up I was first worried about Clem and then after I was sure she was safe I accessed the situation. I'm a stone cold gamer, most of the time I play games I only think of what will benefit me the most or if it's a Mass Effect game where that's less important I pick the way I'm going to play. These moments through all that out and made it real. I cared about the characters as if they were people in those moments.
    So what if they made the decision to remove the character because of money, stuff like that happens. If that's true, and I'm not convinced it is, they used what they had to do to craft a memorable experience and show you all that you cared about some pixels and 1's and 0's more than many of you ever had. Carley's death showed you anyone can die, but it also drove home the fact
    that anyone can snap in your group, people YOU trust can kill people YOU care about. This group was not unitied, hell they wouldn't have even been near each other save the circumstances. Lily was unstable and this was her breaking point. I had one of my own, I killed the first brother, didn't even think of it just stabbed him. The decision made sense to me and I was happy with it till I realized Clem had seen it. I rationalized it to her but when she asked me if I had to do it I knew the answer was no. I didn't kill the second brother and I didn't steal the food because they were the right things to do. Those decisions mattered, they mattered to me because I didn't become a monster. Will I see any real changes in the game? I have no idea and don't care, the way I felt was worth it regardless. I felt good picking Carley, she was objectively a better choice and a more personable character for me. The actions were different, the feel of the character was different.
  • edited September 2012
    last.vill wrote: »
    you say ludicrous clementine before had seen body of larry and st.john brothers in episode 2

Clem saw Larry, otherwise that's your game, not mine.
  • edited September 2012
    The kids thing is not an acceptable excuse, nobody knew about any bite victim yet either. He didn't even bother checking her pulse or even looking at her. Kenny just stepped over her and didn't look either. Ben didn't even do a closer inspection, just looked at Carley and thats it....
    He should of just took her in the RV for closer inspection and a funeral. If you choose to take Lily with you, you don't see any walkers in the backround, you just get a cutscene of Carley and the dead walkers body so theres no rush of walkers coming for ya which leads me to this quote....

I got this feeling too. Disappointed TTG, disappointed. It was there because of budget issues, but I'd prefer for Chuck or Christa or that other guy to get scrapped for budget issues instead of Doug/ Carley -_-. BEN would be the perfect person to get scrapped instead! Nobody literally cares about him right now....

Honestly, feels like you just miss her. Thats okay bro, I miss her too.
    *hugs*

Also I don't think the death was completely rushed and random, those two were fighting since ep 1. I think it's just Telltale hitting us where it hurts.
  • edited September 2012
    The only issue with collecting Carley's body was crazy Lily just happened to be right next to the body.... being crazy. Also, gunshots attract walkers so it made sense to leave her body.
  • edited September 2012
    First of all after reading through this whole thread I'd like to say this. STOP SPOILING THE FUCKING COMICS that's seriously rude, this is a forum about the game and if you are gonna write something about the comic then put it under a spoiler.

Second of all, on the discussion if this was good or not both sides make valid points. The good parts about the death I guess is that it shows how much they actually made you care about the character, hell when she got shot it fealt like a real person got shot and I've been sad for a whole day now. That is not something that any game or movie has ever made me become. Also you could argue that it shows that the writers have balls and no one is safe.

BUT

I don't care for one single character anymore except for Clementine. For the rest of the episode my feelings wasn't as invoked as before, sure the other death scenes was well done but I still wasn't having a good gaming experience. I also feel like many other people say, that the death was rushed and cheap. How Lee reacted afterwards didn't feel real at all. He got mad at Lilly at once, but almost didn't talk about Carley at all afterwards. He should have had a short moment to say goodbye or something since they weren't really in that big of a rush, she was the only person that he had any really good connection with, who always stood by his side and he also had feelings for her.

Some death scenes in games have been among the best gaming experiences ever and this could have been outstanding, but the only thing it invoked was rage and not just because of sadness but because it wasn't handled good enough.

Some people (specially a lot on the youtube videos) talk about that she might come back since the bullet only scratched her cheek and no one checked her pulse or anything. I don't know if it would work for this season, but if they would bring her back if they make a second season (which I really hope they do) I actually think it could be good. It would come as a surprise and she could be one of Lee's closest people. A lot of emotional dialouges between them could happen since he though she was dead and all. Then they could kill her off for real later on in the season but give her and Lee a much more emotional moment in the death scene.
  • edited September 2012
    Not every Lee had feelings for Carley. Mine didn't.
    Not every Lee had Carley alive at this point so the scratch theory is not going to work. What if Carley died at the drugstore at ep 1? It was obvious that Doug's bullet didn't just scratch his cheek.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley wasnt in my playthrough but I saw the video. The scene was very ...strange. It looks almost as if Lily was intentionally taking Carley out for saying her piece. That was a point blank shot in the face and she's not Neo, or Ozymandias so there's no coming back from that. Most likely walkers heard that shot and ate her within the hour.
  • edited September 2012
    YamiRaziel wrote: »
    Not every Lee had feelings for Carley. Mine didn't.
    Not every Lee had Carley alive at this point so the scratch theory is not going to work. What if Carley died at the drugstore at ep 1? It was obvious that Doug's bullet didn't just scratch his cheek.

It was also obvious Carley's bullet didn't scratch her cheek, I've seen the cutscene of her death online, it pierces her skull head on.
  • edited September 2012
    We dont know where Carley was shot or if she suffered brain damage. Even if she was strafed the force would knock her over and out. And she would have a concussion. Just look at Daryl in the tv series.
    So telltale COULD bring her back.

But that would be almost as stupid as Lee actually sitting down to discuss with Clem how they are going to find her parents in Savannah, when he knows they are dead and Savannah is probably a huge death trap. This is almost as dumb as the pacific playland in Zombieland.
  • edited September 2012
    I mean come one, if you had chosen the romance path for Lee, why didn't he bother checking her pulse/looking if there's a little bit of life left in her. Heck he didn't even gave her a look. And would you really leave the body of somebody you loved for zombie food?
    The problem is not that she died, but how she died.
  • edited September 2012
    I played this yesterday, and I honestly applaud the creators. I cannot recall when a game made me shout at 1 AM "NO!" like this game, because I loved Carley's character. It's fine for fans to feel robbed out of her, but her death should serve purpose. For Lee, to stop being so trust worthy of everyone, and to prevent future events like this.

My only gripe was we didn't collect her body. Walkers were coming? It would've taken 15 seconds for Kenny and Ben to pick her body up and bring her in the RV. Crazy Lilly is there? Subdue her, hell, I personally wanted to shoot her in the leg(s) so she'd be sure to die. Plus, noone checked for a pulse. Yeah, headshots are 99% fatal, but still, just so noone can claim the bullet went through her cheek and got stopped by something.

All in all, I'll miss Carley, the game wont feel the same to me without her, but that's zombie life for you. Don't grow attached to your party, you all die anyways.
  • edited September 2012
    I mean come one, if you had chosen the romance path for Lee, why didn't he bother checking her pulse/looking if there's a little bit of life left in her. Heck he didn't even gave her a look. And would you really leave the body of somebody you loved for zombie food?
    The problem is not that she died, but how she died.

Is it possible that you're giving this romance more foundation than it actually had? Except for a kiss on the cheek I haven't seen anything that would indicate Lee was in love with Charley.
    Plus Lilly shot a gun near a zombie infested forest. They didn't really have time to check anything. If you leave Lilly behind you can even see one of the walkers running towards her.
  • edited September 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    It was also obvious Carley's bullet didn't scratch her cheek, I've seen the cutscene of her death online, it pierces her skull head on.

Where?
  • edited September 2012
    Is it possible that you're giving this romance more foundation than it actually had? Except for a kiss on the cheek I haven't seen anything that would indicate Lee was in love with Charley.
    Plus Lilly shot a gun near a zombie infested forest. They didn't really have time to check anything. If you leave Lilly behind you can even see one of the walkers running towards her.

You mean you don't have time to check if your friend is dead or can be saved? The zombies were pretty far away..
  • edited September 2012
    Lars80 wrote: »
    Where?

I was watching a Lets play of the series, and it was a perfect headshot from what I saw.
  • edited September 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    I was watching a Lets play of the series, and it was a perfect headshot from what I saw.

Don't know how you saw that as a "perfect headshot"
    16bfzlv.png
    Clearly you see the red dot and the blood from the bullet afterwards. Pierced through her skull and directly into her cheek. Not a perfect headshot at all.....

Just saying:p
  • edited September 2012
    I think somebody got shot in the head in one of the comics and survived :P So Carley can too
  • edited September 2012

If you talk to Katjaa about Carley Lee confirms he has feelings for her. I thought it was bs when I read it on the wiki but it actually does happen.
  • edited September 2012
    Unless it's just a slight graze (which would still have stunned her or knocked her out) "or" Lilly had a change of heart and did something to save her from a non-fatal wound..... She's gone.

Country road, at night, bullet wound, walkers, and Crazy Lilly?

Not good odds.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley death kinda annoyed me cause it seem like another situation were my choices seem to not matter. I think there shud have been another option were if i made different choices she would have lived.
  • edited September 2012
    There should have been a choice which I could choose to kill Lilly, the son of a b**** >_>
  • edited September 2012
    Yea i thought this game was about "choices"? that clearly wasn't a choice, it felt forced onto the player
  • edited September 2012
    Honestly, I am fine if TTG brings Carley back or if they don't. I was really sad and upset that I could not save her; but when I found out that I could not save her anyway, I was slightly better. I think the bringing her back in a dream is a cool idea. If she actually didn't die and comes back some how. thats cool with me. If she doesn't come back ever, im fine with that. But no matter what happens, I will keep playing these games! TTG has done an AMAZING job with this game and I love it!
  • edited September 2012
    Lars80 wrote: »
    We dont know where Carley was shot or if she suffered brain damage. .

Now, I'm no doctor, but it looked to be somewhere in the 'point blank range in the head' area. Studies have shown these types of injuries usually result in death.
  • edited September 2012
    Xarne wrote: »
    Now, I'm no doctor, but it looked to be somewhere in the 'point blank range in the head' area. Studies have shown these types of injuries usually result in death.

There was a real story of a female cop who got shot point blank in the face and was still able to function and walk. Backup didn't know how bad she was and they made her walk down several flights of stairs to the ambulance.

I believe she got shot between her nose and her left cheek but I have no idea of the size of the gun, maybe a 38 revolver. The place where the bullet hits is important but so is luck. However, all of this is pointless for Carley if help doesn't come along and able to give medical aid.
This discussion has been closed.