[SPOILERS] CARLEY [Ep 3 discussion]

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Wrong, went and scrapped her left cheek.
    Heres a pic:
    2m6ajq8.png

Only thing stopping Telltale from bringing her back is that they want to keep a dark story. Frankly, the story is too dark. If clementine dies, my Lee has got nothing left to live for. If it were budget issues they should of scrapped Christa or the other guy for Carley since shes the most likable character in the series right now -_-

You need to choose a different frame. There's an actual HOLE through her face before the blood squirts out.
  • edited September 2012
    i didn't want Carley to die i only just told her i liked her they should of gave a us a way to save her after all the game is supposed to be about choice or they should of fleshed out the relationship with Carley and lee for another episode i was shocked when lilly did it but i like lilly too what a dilemma.
  • edited September 2012
    all you need to do is touch someone's face and then give them the "head turn" and they will love you forever :)
  • edited September 2012
    The bullet hit above the cheek but the blood squirt indicates a major artery was damaged. While she is not immediately dead, the wound needs to be bandaged and disinfectant is required to stop infections.Some surgery is likely required for the damaged artery.

Say your farewells.
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah I'm pretty sure she is dead. The bullet didn't graze her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCClgGvGOp0

Right around 18:19 or so, if you watch the scene, the bullet didn't graze her, it went fully into her cheek (didn't look like the temple though). Even if she wasn't dead, she'd need medical attention right afterwards to avoid bleeding out.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley is dead, Lilly is gone, Kenny's family is dead.
    But there 3 new strangers.
    What i expect from the next episode:
    The possibilty to kill Ben, because he is a traitor and indirectly accountable for the death of Carley. (Lee is a murderer, so why not)
    Option to leave Omid and Christa behind (and eaten by an hord of walkers), because they don't belong to the group.
    Regarding everything went mad, Chuck drinks a lot of whiskey and die unnoticed, so he can create a lot of trouble and possible kill Kenny, by Kenny try to help Clem and Lee to escape.
    So Clem and Lee are the only survivors and still have to handle that crazy guy on the other side of the walkie talkie.
  • edited September 2012
    I had a response that was a lot more in depth but then my browser crashed after almost and hour's typing.

When I played episode 3 I first felt sad at Carly's death. She was really nice to lee and sometimes seemed like the only one he could trust.
    Then I accepted it because I like non-formulaic story telling. Then I just got mad. I thought about how the 3 people who I was going to save when the bandits attacked (I thought I might see a similar situation to the one in the drug store) would be Carly Lilly and Katjaa. I realized how I've never really had the power to effect the story.

I could save one of two mostly interchangeable and disposable characters was the most I could do. Almost every scene was going to take place eventually. I thought about how pointless the game had made all those conversations with Lilly, Larry, Kenny and Carly. How there's always a zombie in the back of the pickup. How the Iranian dude (I forget his name now) was always going to break his leg. Its so fitting that this game ends on a railroad.

The steam entry promises:
    A tailored game experience – Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make in each episode. Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series. So far none of my decisions have had any real consequence. The end result is always the same.

Features meaningful decision-making, exploration, problem solving and a constant fight for survival in a world overrun by the undead See above

Artwork inspired by the original comic books
    This is off topic but no. Just no. This game doesn't look like TWD at all. The big eyed character models shaded in pastels is one of the most jarring parts of the game.
  • edited September 2012
    Just a reminder, you are playing THE WALKING DEAD.
  • edited September 2012
    belrath wrote: »
    Carley is dead, Lilly is gone, Kenny's family is dead.
    But there 3 new strangers.
    What i expect from the next episode:
    The possibilty to kill Ben, because he is a traitor and indirectly accountable for the death of Carley. (Lee is a murderer, so why not)
    Option to leave Omid and Christa behind (and eaten by an hord of walkers), because they don't belong to the group.
    Regarding everything went mad, Chuck drinks a lot of whiskey and die unnoticed, so he can create a lot of trouble and possible kill Kenny, by Kenny try to help Clem and Lee to escape.
    So Clem and Lee are the only survivors and still have to handle that crazy guy on the other side of the walkie talkie.
    There is no strength in numbers you survive best in twos so only Lee and Clem will survive
    Lilly had the right idea fleeing in the RV
  • edited September 2012
    Cyreen wrote: »

In the comic Rick makes a number of decisions that have consequences. In this game nothing I've done so far has really mattered.
  • edited September 2012
    Cyreen wrote: »
    ...well, I suppose pissed fans because of killed favorite characters are appropriate then. ;)
  • edited September 2012
    In the comic Rick makes a number of decisions that have consequences. In this game nothing I've done so far has really mattered.

Because Kenny won't chicken out and leave you to die if you piss him off?

Because a massive fistfight won't break out on the train if you push his buttons while his kid is dying?

Because rescuing Carley/Doug didn't add 6 months to their life span?

Don't confuse making decisions that alter the story with being able to dictate it and conduct it.
  • edited September 2012
    I think this clip pretty much sums up players' reactions to Carley's death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Sorry just had add some levity and humor
  • edited September 2012
    YamiRaziel wrote: »
    It was bound to happen I guess. Do not worry I'm sure that a new group will be formed soon.

Thanks for the comfort but I'm just going to stick it out with Clem when i have the chance. I'm not really looking to make new friends in episode 4 and 5 besides trying to find her parents.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley/Doug totally got their brains blown out, man.. she/he is never coming back. I really liked Doug :( And he was smart. I was hoping he'd stick around awhile. It's tragic, but that's way it goes in zombie world. If you don't like people you know and like getting killed then it's probably best that you just quit now! lol
  • edited September 2012
    Zombieface wrote: »
    Carley/Doug totally got their brains blown out, man.. she/he is never coming back. I really liked Doug :( And he was smart. I was hoping he'd stick around awhile. It's tragic, but that's way it goes in zombie world. If you don't like people you know and like getting killed then it's probably best that you just quit now! lol

I am aware that they're not coming back and I'm actually against that considering how absurd it would be. What I'm saying is that ever since St. John's incident and Lily's mental breakdown, it's really harder to trust people.

If you can't trust in the genuineness and honesty of other people you're screwed. Christa had the right idea in that it's better travel in groups of 2 or 3 that you can trust. We had a large group and because of the actions of a few people it caused a large impact which dismantled the group and killed people that you grew fond of.

Personally at this point i think it would be better for me to travel with someone I can trust. If you think that it's better to find another group I respect that :) Everyone has a different playstyle after all
  • edited September 2012
    bazenji wrote: »
    Because Kenny won't chicken out and leave you to die if you piss him off?
    I dont know what you're referring to. If you were referring to the drugstore in E3 he doesn't help you at all.
    Because a massive fistfight won't break out on the train if you push his buttons while his kid is dying?
    Does this change anything?

Because rescuing Carley/Doug didn't add 6 months to their life span?

I was required by gameplay to save one of 2 characters both of whom eventually get shot in the face by the same person.
    Don't confuse making decisions that alter the story with being able to dictate it and conduct it.

I want to be able to to make decisions that actually effect the story in some capacity. I was fully expecting to wind up in a sh!tstorm when the bandits showed up and have to make a hard decision about who to save, I didn't get to. The game made it FOR ME.

Everything you do is just cosmetic. Its just a little better than saying you can make meaningful choices by letting the player choose what color shirt lee puts on when he wakes up in the morning.

You make it sound like I just want control over the script where I can say "And then a spaceship lands and Lee gets a suit of power armor and slays the zombie king with his plasma sword and they all live happily ever after!" I want the ability to alter my own destiny in a way that at least attempts to approximate the way a human being does.
  • edited September 2012
    I feel like all this rage at Carleys death just showns how well they wrote her. This is the walking dead, often people die quickly and pointlessly, that's what makes it a true apocalpyse
  • edited September 2012
    Wrighty wrote: »
    I feel like all this rage at Carleys death just showns how well they wrote her. This is the walking dead, often people die quickly and pointlessly, that's what makes it a true apocalpyse

I think nearly all of us knew that deep down Carley would eventually die. If the timing and circumstances were different, I would have thought people would have been far more accepting.
  • edited September 2012
    I am aware that they're not coming back and I'm actually against that considering how absurd it would be. What I'm saying is that ever since St. John's incident and Lily's mental breakdown, it's really harder to trust people.

If you can't trust in the genuineness and honesty of other people you're screwed. Christa had the right idea in that it's better travel in groups of 2 or 3 that you can trust. We had a large group and because of the actions of a few people it caused a large impact which dismantled the group and killed people that you grew fond of.

Personally at this point i think it would be better for me to travel with someone I can trust. If you think that it's better to find another group I respect that :) Everyone has a different playstyle after all

You can tell that Christa hasn't stumbled upon a herd. If she had, she would never suggest that :) Being only 2 in a group is a death wish. Either the dead or the living will eventually get you.
    The only chance of survival is within a very large group with capable and determined leaders.
  • edited September 2012
    It it was just Clem and Lee at the St John's they would have both been in the septic tank by now.
  • edited September 2012
    It it was just Clem and Lee at the St John's they would have both been in the septic tank by now.

they wouldnt have entered the farm using Christa's rules
  • edited September 2012
    Murasaki wrote: »
    I think nearly all of us knew that deep down Carley would eventually die. If the timing and circumstances were different, I would have thought people would have been far more accepting.

People die all the time in the walking dead, but killing off Carley/doug in the middle of the season is not acceptable. Ep.4 or 5 is much more acceptable, heck, I expect everyone to die in the end of this season and start off a new season with a new group and situation.
  • edited September 2012
    Reading all these comments are hilarious. Seriously, people die in the walking dead. so what? It's supposed to be shocking. It's supposed to anger you. It's supposed to make you annoyed. It's supposed to make you depressed. It's not heroic. It's not a happy ending.

I don't know if you guys have noticed but this is THE WALKING DEAD! Not My Little Pony Adventure Time Happy Ending Game. If you want to play a game with butterflies, rainbows and happy endings, then please play another game.

Seriously, stop crying about choices either. Yes, the developers want to harp on choices and how they matter. And yes, some do, some don't. But just imagine playing this game without having all these choices. I mean, what if you're playing Uncharted or some other game where there is a linear storyline. You didn't complain about that linear storyline did you? (well maybe you did). But think about it, if it wasn't for these choices, you wouldn't even be on these forums talking about any of your decisions throughout the episodes.
  • edited September 2012
    Havocbeast wrote: »
    Reading all these comments are hilarious. Seriously, people die in the walking dead. so what? It's supposed to be shocking. It's supposed to anger you. It's supposed to make you annoyed. It's supposed to make you depressed. It's not heroic. It's not a happy ending.

I don't know if you guys have noticed but this is THE WALKING DEAD! Not My Little Pony Adventure Time Happy Ending Game. If you want to play a game with butterflies, rainbows and happy endings, then please play another game.

Seriously, stop crying about choices either. Yes, the developers want to harp on choices and how they matter. And yes, some do, some don't. But just imagine playing this game without having all these choices. I mean, what if you're playing Uncharted or some other game where there is a linear storyline. You didn't complain about that linear storyline did you? (well maybe you did). But think about it, if it wasn't for these choices, you wouldn't even be on these forums talking about any of your decisions throughout the episodes.

It's ironic in a way, people know what to expect. They know there will be death and sadness along the way. I just don't think many people (including myself) were prepared for the severity of it. It's taken them past their breaking point hence all this reaction. Not everyone can be a "hard nut", so to speak. And it's interesting you should say people should play another game, because I get the feeling some people now will.

I don't people for these optimistic posts at all. And despite how unlikely all these survival theories might sound, it can only be a tribute to how well TTG have created these characters.
  • edited September 2012
    I could save one of two mostly interchangeable and disposable characters was the most I could do. Almost every scene was going to take place eventually. I thought about how pointless the game had made all those conversations with Lilly, Larry, Kenny and Carly.

You thought that was pointless? Didn't you like the story?
  • edited September 2012
    Murasaki, read the comic book and you'll toughen up :D I can hardly be caught off-guard after I've read all the 101 issues. It is an amazing story.
    The game is a great emotional ride and it still affects me, even though I can say I'm very familiar with the walking dead universe.
    People will eventually accept that no matter how hard they whine and cry, nothing is gonna chance. Then they will accept it and maybe one day even appreciate it :)
  • edited September 2012
    Murasaki, read the comic book and you'll toughen up :D I can hardly be caught off-guard after I've read all the 101 issues. It is an amazing story.
    The game is a great emotional ride and it still affects me, even though I can say I'm very familiar with the walking dead universe.
    People will eventually accept that no matter how hard they whine and cry, nothing is gonna chance. Then they will accept it and maybe one day even appreciate it :)

Or learn to avoid becoming attached to characters because they know at some point they are going to die...
  • edited September 2012
    Or learn to avoid becoming attached to characters because they know at some point they are going to die...

I think the devs would consider that a failure on their part if you didn't feel some attachment to the characters they created. Same applies for the comics. It only becomes a problem if your attachment to a character becomes more important than real life. Fortunately I don't think that applies here.
  • edited September 2012
    carleys death really annoyed me too... but hey, thats what the game wants and obviously its working damn good. it somehow shocked me :/ but its strange when people say not to become attached to it. thats how it comes: ppl who become rough and lose feelings and ppl who still love and hope and dont become bandits just to survive... i choose the second :D
  • edited September 2012
    I think the devs would consider that a failure on their part if you didn't feel some attachment to the characters they created. Same applies for the comics. It only becomes a problem if your attachment to a character becomes more important than real life. Fortunately I don't think that applies here.

My point is that it's no different than when a kid learns that a stove is hot and can hurt (at least for me). Once he/she has gotten burned a few times, they learn that lesson. It's not really a problem for me, but knowing that the characters (main or otherwise) are going to die quite frequently keeps me from "investing" in the characters and for me kind of defeats the purpose of the game.
  • edited September 2012
    It only becomes a problem if your attachment to a character becomes more important than real life. Fortunately I don't think that applies here.

well, thats of course true :D
  • edited September 2012
    My point is that it's no different than when a kid learns that a stove is hot and can hurt (at least for me). Once he/she has gotten burned a few times, they learn that lesson. It's not really a problem for me, but knowing that the characters (main or otherwise) are going to die quite frequently keeps me from "investing" in the characters and for me kind of defeats the purpose of the game.

Actually it's quite the opposite. Knowing that the characters won't die, because they are either the protagonists or fan favourite makes them less real. I can relate to real characters but it almost impossible when I know they're immortal. At least that's how I see it.
  • edited September 2012
    Actually it's quite the opposite. Knowing that the characters won't die, because they are either the protagonists or fan favourite makes them less real. I can relate to real characters but it almost impossible when I know they're immortal. At least that's how I see it.

I can appreciate your view, but honestly I just disagree with that.
  • edited September 2012

Every fan of a TWD character gets to watch them die. But not every fan of a TWD character gets to watch them truly live!
  • edited September 2012
    ZacTB wrote: »
    As much as I hate that she was shot in the head, if Telltale somehow brought her back after that, I would lose faith in this game.

agree fully with this. I was shocked for a few seconds when she was shot and she was my favorite charachter too. If they were to bring her back to the game though just because some people want it I will be very dissapointed. I hope they won't change that at all.
  • edited September 2012
    Her death was horrible, and I don't like it one bit.

But it does illustrate how brutal the setting is. None of these characters will have a happy ending, and that scene makes it very clear.
  • edited September 2012
    What, have Carley alive only to be killed again? No thanks. Up to the very end, she supported you. She was a good character.
  • edited September 2012
    I sincerely cant understand this at all, why do people keep thinking we just want a good ending?! DAMN if you see all the 5 episodes in the game list, you see a picture of EP5 with ONLY clem looking down, i even think that lee dies in EP 5. But i dont suppose we get to EP 5 and walk around and sudently BUUUUM HEADSHOT, we die, the end?! Then what? the rest os the characters go away and your lifeless body is left behind in the guther?!

Killing carley the way they did was just unpredictable, damn it was a really great writhing, but, wath the hell? if they had to kill 1 why not ben?! We know nothing about him, he makes no sense talking to on any playtrough because he tells you nothing usefull, i played EP1, then EP 2 came out and i played EP 1 again then EP 2 and the same for EP 3, so i played EP1 3x, EP2 2x and i didnt even care to end ep 3 because this looks more like a light novel than a complete game, this is an interactive comic book for what i can see, BUT i re-instaled the game and ended EP3 nonetheless(really didnt like it anyway EP3 just doesnt make my heart beat),and dont get me rong, i freaking liked the game if not i wouldnt play EP1 3x and so on, but in EP1 for you to open the door you have to get the AXE, and many more things you really have to go front and back a lot of times to do something that adds playtime and makes us think about what were doing on EP3, ye theres nothing much that way, but seeing EP4 trailer made me fell like EP4 will get better,unfortunately, ye trailers are really great and all but i already saw trailers get the better of us.

And i saw some one saying that they arent lieing in our faces when advertising saying we tailortail the story, that yes we tailortail the story, but not the way we were thinking. But wasnt the way we were thinking their main goal when saying it? its the same thing if we say to a girl "i love you", and end there the sentence but the main part isnt said "but not like that".

They like to advertise half a true, but we dont play half a game do we.
  • edited September 2012
    I hope that she will come back, she was one of my favorite characters including Lee and Clem. Carley's and Lee's relationship was really becoming interesting, I always knew something would hit off between them, well sorta. It's a shame she died. Dislike Telltale!
This discussion has been closed.