The speculation Thread!

Comments

• edited October 2004
    Who's to say that the license is a LucasArts one? Also, it's possible that the caveman dude is part of one of Telltale's "smaller games," which they said would be churned out every now and then.
  • edited October 2004
    Perhaps we should be looking at this from other angles ... for instance, I believe Maniac Mansion and DOTT were licensed games (based around the film of the same name) and afaik the rights to use the name aren't owned by LucasArts anymore... but there is very little information about this. Who knows?
  • edited October 2004
    If they don't own the license, then what are they doing selling The Adventure Collection, which contains MM/DOTT? Unless maybe there's some sort of agreement which would allow LucasArts to continue to make a profit off the games or something. It's still all speculation. I'd personally love a Maniac Mansion 3 though.
  • edited October 2004
    I just hope it's S&M 2
  • edited October 2004
    Telltale already said it's not Sam & Max 2.

Hey, scaryrobot, where do you get that Maniac Mansion was based on a movie?
  • edited October 2004
    As far as I know, Maniac Mansion is not based on a movie, but is an original idea from Ron Gilbert.
    However, I think that there was a sitcom named Maniac Mansion which was loosely based on the game that was filmed during the 90's.

It means that Maniac mansion's rights probably belong to Lucasarts. IMHO, a third MM is not impossible, but I think Monkey Island has a bigger probability...
  • edited October 2004
    Furthermore...

"Telltale's only a part of the exciting things that are brewing around it (the license)"

This mysterious character may or may not have something to do with it;

shhhhhhh.jpg

Mh, this little guy looks like the one that visited me last night and did some strange experiments to me...hey telltale, this a real strange way of promotion! B-)
  • edited October 2004
    maybe its a game only About MAX :D
  • edited October 2004
    Mh....could be.
    Maybe "Max - Revisited"
    or "Being Max" or "Diaries of Max"
    or "Max - A tragedy about loosing ears"
    :D
  • edited October 2004
    if anyone got the newsletter that was sent to your email and read it, it gave it hint saying
    "some or you are right!"
    so it's somthing already said, i realy dont think it's a LA based game. they said if you liked there games in the past you will definalty like this one, yes im sure that true but i dont think there talking about a certin game their probibly talking about the style of the games they have made and they know we will like it.
  • edited October 2004
    Maybe they've bought the rights to the SCUMM system, just a thought.
  • edited October 2004
    AHHHHH......Maybe it's one of the "Little Glottis's" from GF?
    http://img9.exs.cx/img9/9384/rar1.jpg
  • edited October 2004
    I'm sure it's just wishful thinking but have the guys at telltale actually said it's not sam and max or have they only said that they'd like to do a sam and max game. I know that Steve Purcell was extremely dissapointed about the cancelation and in one article I read, the LA PR dept didn't return phone calls on the subject. Is it possible that LA allowed Purcell to also liscense sam and max to telltale? And besides, what other game would they need to keep a secret, especially if it's not a lucas arts liscense. I think that with all the other adventure liscenses, both companies would want to get the news of the game out as soon as possible. LA games are the only games that would actually have a build-up of demand. That all having been said, I'm sure this is all wishful thinking.
  • edited October 2004
    Thre is no WAY this game is based on a license owned by LucasArts (Maniac Mansion, Monkley Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango etc).

In an intervioew Telltale made it clear they're not on speaking terms with LucasArts.
  • edited October 2004
    In an intervioew Telltale made it clear they're not on speaking terms with LucasArts.

Which really sucks, because that pretty much indicates that they won't be able to gain ownership of the resources to Freelance Police. And if they are able to make a successful negotiation with Purcell next year and DO make all of our dreams come true by developing a Sam & Max game, it will have to be started from scratch and will not be the nearly completed masterpiece.

Of course it was a masterpiece.
  • edited October 2004
    Hmmm...it would appear that the name of that caveman guy is Dank. It says so in the name of the filename of that blinky guy in the corner.
  • edited October 2004
    AHHHHH......Maybe it's one of the "Little Glottis's" from GF?
    http://img9.exs.cx/img9/9384/rar1.jpg

What is that?
  • edited October 2004
    don't tell me you have never played grim fandango!
    if you haven't run out and get a copy rite away, it undoubtedly the best adventure game ever made. in my opinion and many others.
  • edited October 2004
    the irony is lucasarts is never gonna make another adventure game due to their supposed "market place realities" but they are gonna hold onto their licenses and the 90% completed freelance police.. so the fanbase gets screwed once again! their not gonna use the damn licenses so why wouldnt they want to make money by selling them..because they are complete idiots!
  • edited October 2004
    Grim Fandango was one of the best adventure games to be published by Lucas arts. The story line was perfect. The puzzles were grand. The backgrounds were rendered. Sure the engine was a bit buggy, but it had class.

This is the main character Manny
    2003_09_grim_fandango_manny.jpg
  • edited October 2004
    I really should get that game.
    Can I still get a new copy? It took me a while to find a new copy of Sam & Max =/
    Ah well, it was worth it =D
  • edited October 2004
    If you live in the United States, you can order it from LucasArts. You may also want to try looking through the cheap bins of various video game outlets.
  • edited October 2004
    I still think that the silhouette is probably Fone Bone, and here's why:

1) That email said some of you are right. The only guesses that I think multiple people have made are Bone and Sam & Max, and we know that it's not the latter because Telltale said so in a newspaper interview. Now, if that email said "one" of you is right, it could be any number of random things that people have come up with, but because it said "some," I'm inclined to think it's Bone. Perhaps it's circumstantial evidence and wishful thinking, but...

2) Shortly after the current Telltale site went up, I made this post at Boneville.com:

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/jeffsmith/?read=15435

No one at Cartoon Books posted any response, even though they have since posted several other messages on those boards. Now, if there *was* no Bone game in development or in the negotiating phases, they would have just come out and said so, right? But silence implies some state of non-disclosure agreement. Unless, of course, they just didnt see my post&
  • edited October 2004
    Several other licenses were speculated, and they weren't all suggested by a single person.
  • edited October 2004
    don't tell me you have never played grim fandango!
    if you haven't run out and get a copy rite away, it undoubtedly the best adventure game ever made. in my opinion and many others.

I have to admit, I've played every Lucasarts adventure game except Grim Fandago. I've been meaning to go out and get it for a while now. I won't delay much longer.
  • edited October 2004
    Is it not obvious that the game is going to be Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. And I'm not saying that because the funny character looks like Marvin (because he doesn't look even close). I say that because...

Because i would really like to see a new 3D point'n'click H2G2 adventure game. Plus with the movie coming out next year it would be a good idea.
  • edited October 2004
    Is it not obvious that the game is going to be Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. And I'm not saying that because the funny character looks like Marvin (because he doesn't look even close). I say that because...

Because i would really like to see a new 3D point'n'click H2G2 adventure game. Plus with the movie coming out next year it would be a good idea.

Hmm come to think of it, Guide to the galaxy did have cavemen in it...then again if that is the license they decide to persue it'll be hard to overshadow the sheer brilliance of the original infocom game.
  • edited October 2004
    Grim Fandango is my favourite game. I think it's great, and made perfectly (that's why I made a site about it).

But I wouldn't like to see a Grim Fandango 2. The game was made so that everything fitted together at the end, and there were no loose ends. If there was a sequel, it wouldn't work as well as the origional did. Grim Fandango was meant to end, unlike games like Monkey Island or Sam and Max.
  • edited October 2004
    I'm ripe with anticipation.

I thought I smelled something.

Hmmm what could this project be? I'm hoping it's a Banana's in Pyjamas adventure game. Man that'd be sweet ;)
  • edited October 2004
    no man ,a mickey mouse game would be cool ;)
  • edited October 2004
    no man ,a mickey mouse game would be cool ;)

OH GOD NO! Every time you use an item he'd say "Golly that sure is a mighty swell idea" :((
  • edited October 2004
    Regarding Sam and Max 2. I'm not entirely sure I'd want them to use the resources from Freelance Police (and I'm sure my feelings would be foremost in their decision)

But wouldn't it be a better idea to start fresh, new company, new vision of the title, and show their difference from LucasArts? Just my thoughts, and as with most of my thoughts, may have no place in the real world, ;-)
  • edited October 2004

I'm sure we all would. I mean, the only H2G2 game in existance is the old text-adventure that I've heard (from ThreeHeadedMonkey, I believe) ends very abruptly. That's no good at all.
  • edited October 2004
    As far as I know, Maniac Mansion is not based on a movie, but is an original idea from Ron Gilbert.
    However, I think that there was a sitcom named Maniac Mansion which was loosely based on the game that was filmed during the 90's.

It means that Maniac mansion's rights probably belong to Lucasarts. IMHO, a third MM is not impossible, but I think Monkey Island has a bigger probability...

Ah, you could be right there. My mistake...
  • edited October 2004
    But wouldn't it be a better idea to start fresh, new company, new vision of the title, and show their difference from LucasArts?

That's what they'll end up having to do, but I would definitely prefer to see Freelance Police. I mean, just look at some of those screenshots. Check out what Steve Purcell had to say about the game. The bits and bits revealed by Mike Stemmle sounded ridiculously awesome. No, this game was golden, and it'd be great to see it someday.

I don't see your deal about wanting it to be different from "LucasArts." The folks over at LucasArts were/are (not sure how many are left at this point) extremely talented people (heck, some of 'em are right here in this company!). It's the higher-ups at LucasArts who made the company suck. The game itself was in the hands of the right sort of people and was almost assuredly brilliant.
  • edited October 2004
    There's also the new graphical remake of the old Hitchhiker's text adventure game:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

I'd love to play a 2D hand animated Mickey Mouse adventure game, actually. I've seen Mickey used effectively as a compelling character in a few places (some comics, a novel, Kingdom Hearts, and the new Three Musketeers DVD movie), and I think it could work well.
  • edited October 2004
    Udvarnoky, I really didn't make my point very well and for that I apologise, I wasn't trying to tell them to change the game, because it did look very, very good, and I didn't want it to be different from LucasArts vision of the game out of any fear of the quality of the game. I was more trying to make the point that they are a new developer, not just "the guys from LucasArts", and I thought that that might be best achieved by doing the game their way, from the start, there are many people from LucasArts, but it's not the same team as before, some people didn't come accross, and they've joined new people, regardless of their talent, the vision of the game will have changed.
  • edited October 2004
    But you have to understand...

The game is there and ready to be released. Or at least I think it is. All they need is the rights and we're all good to go.
    There is no sense in redoing an obviously good game. Plus, if they do that, we're waiting even LONGER for our precious Sam and Max. I'm confident that Telltale knows what's up as far as doing the right things.

Oh, and Mecca lecca hi, mecca jonni ho
  • edited October 2004
    "...we can't actually announce anything... yet. We can; however, give you a hint - some of you are right! We can also tell you our unabashed teasing will soon be over! Within the coming weeks, expect to see a huge announcement regarding this exciting game."
  • edited October 2004
    I was more trying to make the point that they are a new developer, not just "the guys from LucasArts", and I thought that that might be best achieved by doing the game their way, from the start, there are many people from LucasArts, but it's not the same team as before, some people didn't come accross, and they've joined new people, regardless of their talent, the vision of the game will have changed.

I sorta see what you're saying, but I still completely disagree with you. If the game is already great, then there's no reason to change the "vision of the game" simply to be different. They are a new developer, and some of these guys are indeed from LucasArts and even worked on Sam & Max, but although Freelance Police would have had the LucasArts label had it been released, it still would have been the product of the hard-working team behind it. I personally believe, even though I don't have to the game to prove it, that this team got the game exactly right. The company name slapped on the title has no meaning at this point. I think changes to an already fine game is unwarranted and unnecessary, especially if it's just to distinguish two companies from each other.
    The game is there and ready to be released.

Nah. The game may have been close to completion, but it's not done. I believe the preview that surfaced in April said the game was scheduled for a Fall 2004 release date. Still, that's way too far into development to cancel for the reason LucasArts gave us, and it'd be great if Telltale could pick up where was left off. The thing is, that's not going to happen. Telltale may get the rights to Sam & Max, but I can't see them gaining those resources. Is it even remotely possible, Telltale? I mean, one side of me says that LucasArts is so greedy that it will sit on those resources even though they know they'll do nothing with it and they just don't want anyone else to have it. And another side of me says that LucasArts is so greedy that it'd be willing to sell the resources for quick cash. Unfortunately, the end result is the same: I'm a hopeless schizophrenic with no way out of this white, padded cubicle.
This discussion has been closed.