The speculation Thread!

Comments

• edited October 2004
    I do suppose if we could prove that S&M2 make them money we could see it finished, or possibly have a fundraiser to make enough money for Telltale to buy the rights, or something...

I hope.
  • edited October 2004
    While I'd love to see the LEC S&M2 game released, I'd hate for Telltale to have to sign contracts with LucasArts to get the game finished & released.

Face it, it's better for Telltale to have LucasArts totally out of the picture, which in all likelihood means starting again from scratch.

Also it's hardly likely Dank the Caveman is from the Licensed game, he'l probably be a character from one of the small, original titles Telltale is working on.
  • edited October 2004
    I don't think it'd be better to start from scratch, though that is almost certainly what they'll have to do. Frankly, I don't see why you're against them reaching an agreement with LucasArts over the game and would prefer the alternative.
  • edited October 2004
    i dont think its about Dank the Caveman
    beacuase,no body knows him and loves him
  • edited October 2004
    I already love him. Deeply.
  • edited October 2004
    Meh, he kinda freeks me out.
    He's -looking- at me...
    *hides*

Okay, seriously, I thought LucasArts still had all the licenses...could they be obtaining a new licenses? What's already been mentioned? Can someone compile it into a list?
  • edited October 2004
    how long do you think it would take them to re-do what they already did on freelance police?
  • edited October 2004
    1-2 years to redo sam and max 2. It would be a bit sad though. A third developer on the project. But the market has to be right for it. Why would the game keep getting picked up if it wasn't?
  • edited October 2004
    1-2 years to redo sam and max 2. It would be a bit sad though.

Don't forget they'll already have the engine from their first game and their mini-games.

Also, if they go "sitcom style" as has been mentioned several times in interviews, with shorter standalone episodes rather than an huge 'standard' style adventure, they can be churning them out reasonable quickly.

Also, this means we could purchase the playback engine separately (or with th efirst game), and then just download data-files to play the episodes.
  • edited October 2004
    Episodic Sam & Max sounds interesting. In fact, wasn't Freelance Police going to be episodic in a way? I remember an interview where Mike Stemmle discussed that the game would be made up of numerous cases that all tied together into one plot (which goes against Telltale, though - they said they want "episodes" that work on their own). He also hinted that extra downloadable cases may be made available after the game's release. I think this could be a great way to approach Sam & Max if Telltale does in fact get the opportunity.

Speaking of Stemmle, we've still never heard of him since the layoffs. I wonder if there's any chance of him joining up with Telltale or Autumn Moon.
  • edited October 2004
    Was he laid off, or is he still at LucasArts?
  • edited October 2004
    Was he laid off, or is he still at LucasArts?

According to someone who seems in-the-know commenting at mixnmojo.com after the last round of layoffs in August...
    Comment by: calculon | Posted 20:29, August 12, 2004

- Mike Nelson quit about two weeks ago.
    - Randy Breen (VP of Dev), RJ Berg (EP), Daron Stinnett (EP) and Mike Lampell (Dir of Tech) were laid off Monday.
    - Michael Stemmle, Jon Knoles and Kevin Boyle (all Directors) were laid off yesterday.
    - Two teams have been effectively laid off today, leaving Republic Commando as the only internal title in development.
    - Peter Hirschman (Producer on SWON) is new VP of Development.
  • edited October 2004
    I'm hoping we see his name turn up again sometime soon.
  • edited October 2004
    All the non-Starwars people were laid off?! That's real scary. It's very ironic but Lucasarts is becoming the evil empire.
  • edited October 2004
    There were plenty of "Star Wars" people laid off too.
  • edited October 2004
    mike stemmle needs to join telltale if they acquire the rights to sam & max..he was a large part of freelance police..and hes so damn funny.. i think if they say had 3 cases of freelance police in their initial release..and then you'd buy a new case for a cheaper price every few months..that would be awesome!!
  • edited October 2004
    Well..here are my predictions:

max.jpg

And the winner is - Casper the firendly ghost !
    :shudders:
  • edited October 2004
    Hmmm. Funny how similar they are to my earlier predictions which I posted around the place last month;

shhhhhhh2.jpg
  • edited October 2004
    kindof looks like Mickey after his ears have been ripped off by the Cheshire Cat. but alas, no hope for that ever happening :(
  • edited October 2004
    Gotta say guys, the first time I saw that figure it thought it looked a heckuva lot like Fone Bone (or is it Phone Bone, you know who I mean) and it's looking more and more likely that that's the case. I also think it’s pretty likely that if LA loses the S&M license, they will sell their remaining resources to Telltale. It would be a stupid business move not to.
  • edited October 2004
    Yeah, but as we well know, LucasArts is more than capable of making stupid business moves.

Besides, they may find some use of that engine for future games.
  • edited October 2004
    i don't think LA will ever do anything with sam and max, they have clearly done everything they could to shut sam and max out of the world. they don't even post the cancellation press release on there website.
  • edited October 2004
    Think this is the best place to ask, is that caveman guy a hint for TT's new game or is it TT's logo guy like La has the golden moro.. eh guy :D
  • edited October 2004
    what caveman guy is everyone talking about?
  • edited October 2004
    on this thread go to page 2, in the middle there's a post with a pic of the TT guys behind a monitor with the caveman dude
    in it
  • edited October 2004
    ohhh, that guy...
    yeah, i'm sure that their going to use him in some game.
  • edited November 2004
    they don't even post the cancellation press release on there website.

They had some lame press release that was little more than a paragraph on there for a while. Now though, they seemed to have removed most traces of Sam and Max 2 from their website.
  • edited November 2004
    My head is going to explode from all this speculating....AH! :((

*Wanders to another post*
  • edited November 2004
    my head explodes to :((

want to know which game it will br
  • edited November 2004
    why dont we speculate when all this speculation will end then
  • edited November 2004
    Don't worry, whatever the game is, if telltale managed to do what they're trying to do it'll be great. Maybe Sam & Max 2 will be somewhere down the road. We can always hope :)
  • edited November 2004
    Sometime next yere I think, May some time, and then it'll be up for bid from Purcel.
  • edited November 2004
    Originally from the Marin Independant Journal, taken from http://www.samandmax.net/
    Although the company is in negotiations for the license of another game, the trio said it is no secret that they want to develop the sequel to "Sam and Max" or something like it. An online petition in support of the canceled game incited the company's launch, they said.

"When we saw the petition and how upset people were, we knew we had to start Telltale Games," Bruner said.

LucasArts has a license for the game from the comic book's creator, Steve Purcell. That license expires in May, at which point Connors said he hopes to strike a deal with Purcell.

Purcell could not be reached for comment, nor could LucasArts spokeswoman Anne Marie Stein.
  • edited November 2004
    there is hope B-) there is hope

yesterday my copy of sam and max: hit hte road (talkie) arived trough Emule Plues :p there is hope B-) there is hope

yesterday my copy of sam and max: hit hte road (talkie) arived trough Emule Plues
  • edited November 2004
    i don't think LA will ever do anything with sam and max, they have clearly done everything they could to shut sam and max out of the world. they don't even post the cancellation press release on there website.

Hah! Don't count your chickens yet! Next thing we know, there's another 10 Star Wars games running on the S&M engine, and they aren't even adventure games! B-)
  • edited November 2004
    The shadow shown could be a monkey...however, it could be anything, because that's a pretty generic-shaped shadow...

Some things point towards there beeing a monkey in the game...
    There's this on the Secret Page:
    team.jpg

Notice the monkey in the middle of the picture?

But then again, the shadow of the "waving" guy looks to me like the Bone character...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

HAHA, I think I got it!! They are making a stone-age version of Monkey Island. Probably Guybrush's ancestor kicking LeChuck's grandpa's ass :p :p
  • edited November 2004
    Sorry to spoil the mystery, but I can almost guarentee this is our mystery guy...

bone1_0001.jpg

Main character from the BONE comic books
  • edited November 2004
    i'm convinced thats who it is
  • edited November 2004
    The shadow shown could be a monkey...however, it could be anything, because that's a pretty generic-shaped shadow...

Some things point towards there beeing a monkey in the game...
    There's this on the Secret Page:
    team.jpg

Notice the monkey in the middle of the picture?

But then again, the shadow of the "waving" guy looks to me like the Bone character...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

HAHA, I think I got it!! They are making a stone-age version of Monkey Island. Probably Guybrush's ancestor kicking LeChuck's grandpa's ass :p :p

You think? I thought the monkey could have been troy's step brother or something?
  • edited November 2004
    Iv'e never heard of these BONE comics. Anyone wanna fill me (and anyone else) in. If I'm honest they look a little bit [edited].
This discussion has been closed.