The speculation Thread!

Comments

• edited December 2004
    I do hope they become involved in some way.
  • edited December 2004
    yes,otherwise it would sick
  • edited December 2004
    Maybe there will be a Sam and Max 3.
  • edited December 2004
    If you notice, the post on samandmax.net distinctly said "Bad Brain Entertainment" is a publisher, which means that TellTale may very well be the developer! Keeping my fingers crossed...
  • edited December 2004
    what about full throttle 2 (the developpemùent was stopped too)?
  • edited December 2004
    what about full throttle 2 (the developpem�ent was stopped too)?

Well, personally, I think FT2 is also a possibility (remote, mind, but still a possibility for me because I like getting my hopes up). And even though I'll be the first to agree that Hell on Wheels would've taken the original game out back, shot it, and buried the body deep, the trailer actually wasn't that bad, as trailers go. And it's the only other LucasArts game (I think?) besides Sam & Max 2 that had a trailer out before it was cancelled.

Anyway, personally, I'm hoping. I'd be pleased with a Sam & Max 2, too, but I do have to admit that I'm more of a Full Throttle fan. I just hope that, if it does happen (in a parallel universe where time has no meaning and all my pipe dreams come true), they'll do a new game instead of just releasing Hell on Wheels. I want a new FT game, just not that one.
  • edited December 2004
    Yeah, good point. People didn't react as strongly to the cancellation of FT2 as they did with S&M2. Myself, I completely forgot about it. But that's because I didn't like FT1 as much as S&M1... just played it once. (S&M1 I played about 10 times, I guess...)
  • edited December 2004
    The thing is LucasArts owns the IP for Full Throttle. Which is why I find it hard to believe they would allow another company to develop such a game.

See also Monkey Island & Maniac Mansion etc...
  • edited December 2004
    Yeah, good point. People didn't react as strongly to the cancellation of FT2 as they did with S&M2. Myself, I completely forgot about it. But that's because I didn't like FT1 as much as S&M1... just played it once. (S&M1 I played about 10 times, I guess...)
    I remember not being very disappointed in the cancellation of Hell on Wheels. I am very fond of the first Full Throttle game, and a sequel will have to live up to very high standards to be a worthy continuation of the story. So I'm also hoping that if they do decide to do a Full Throttle 2, it be a point-and-click adventure, rewritten from scratch. If they release Hell on Wheels, I'll be very very disappointed.
  • edited December 2004
    I seriously doubt that Bad Brains is pursueing Sam and Max. They said they were in talks with LucasArts. LucasArts don't own the IP to Sam and Max, Steve Purcell does. They could purchase the game rights from LucasArts, but since that agreement ends May 2005 I doubt they could get a product out that fast. There's only one possibility, Bad Brains buys the publishing rights to the nearly finished Sam and Max: Freelance Police. Otherwise, I suspect they are gonna try to obtain Full Throttle.
  • edited December 2004
    They're probably hoping to get the resources from LucasArts. If their freakin' META tag has Sam and max 2 in it, then they must be pretty confident. Doesn't mean they actually made any progress, though. I'm sure Telltale wants to finish Freelance Police just as bad, but know the harsh, complicated realities of securing the thing. I do hope they become part of this, though. They've got some key members of the old team.

Time will tell...
  • edited December 2004
    The thing is LucasArts owns the IP for Full Throttle. Which is why I find it hard to believe they would allow another company to develop such a game.

See also Monkey Island & Maniac Mansion etc...

Yes, but Bad Brain said they were in negotiations with LucasArts, which is exactly what they'd have to do to get the license to make FT2. Or, I suppose, the data from the nearly-finished Freelance Police.

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that Bad Brain has Sam & Max as a meta tag? It seems a little...smug.
  • edited December 2004
    There is no way they would be insane enought to try and finish sombody elses work. It would be like selliing a half finished painting for some one else to finish it, without telling them what brushes to use, what colours/colors. It would be insainity.
  • edited December 2004
    i think they will start form scratch,i hope
  • edited December 2004
    There is no way they would be insane enought to try and finish sombody elses work. It would b like selliing a half finished painting for some one else to finish it, without telling them what brushes to use, what colours/colors. It would be insainity.

Well that depends on how close to a finished working game Sam & Max was when it was cancelled, and that information isn't public to the best of my knowledge.

Also are there people now at Autumn Moon who were working on the game at LucasARts? If all the art and plot is done, and it's just a matter of stitching it all together, it wouldn't be too difficult to do.

Of course I'm hoping the Telltale guys are contracted to help too, if all this actually pans out.
  • edited December 2004
    There is no way they would be insane enought to try and finish sombody elses work. It would b like selliing a half finished painting for some one else to finish it, without telling them what brushes to use, what colours/colors. It would be insainity.

Well that depends on how close to a finished working game Sam & Max was when it was cancelled, and that information isn't public to the best of my knowledge.

Well, Just Adventure did some poking around at E3 2004, then published their findings, and one of the points/rumors they dug up was: "At the time of its cancellation, Sam n Max 2 was anywhere between 85 - 95% complete."

*shrug* Just saying.

Edit: Oh hey, and here's another interesting rumor for you, from that same page: as of E3 2004 there were already groups of interested investors trying to purchase the code. Maybe one of them was Bad Brain...?
  • edited December 2004

Well, Just Adventure did some poking around at E3 2004, then published their findings, and one of the points/rumors they dug up was: "At the time of its cancellation, Sam n Max 2 was anywhere between 85 - 95% complete."

*shrug* Just saying.

Edit: Oh hey, and here's another interesting rumor for you, from that same page: as of E3 2004 there were already groups of interested investors trying to purchase the code. Maybe one of them was Bad Brain...?

I do recall that 85%-95% figure being bandied about. If that is true, then even without Telltale's further input, the finished game will be near-as-dammit to the one that LucasArts was supposed to release.

As for Bad-Brain being one of the people trying to but the code at E3, it's probably unlikely due to them not even being around (in a public sense) at that time. I'd imagine that their buying the Sam & Max code will have been after talks with with Autumn Moon (who they've only just signed), perhaps as a way to finance the company... or even just to get a bucket lot of goodwill and free publicity for Bad-Brain and the games they're currently developing / publishing.
  • edited December 2004

I really want the Sam & Max 2 that LucasArts was developing to see the light of day, even at the hands of Bad-Brain. Why? Because Mike Stemmle and the rest of the team are extremely talented and capable people, and what they've made was likely not tainted by the pressure of LucasArts execs (they just exercised their power to cancel it :( ). And I'm certain that Bad Brain would be smart enough to realize that the original team is the best way to go, so they could contract Stemmle and other key team members for a job to specifically finish the game.

But I'm jumping the gun here. Let's wait a few months and see if Bad Brain can back up what they say, and let's also hope Telltale and Autumn Moon collaborate on the theoretical effort. The companies don't need to merge, but if they work together we're in good shape.

EDIT: I mentioned the companies merging. Haven't we all secretly wanted it? Can you imagine what may happen if companies like Double Fine, Telltale, Autumn Moon, and Pileated Pictures formed into some kind of uber adventure company?! It would be like the LucasArts we always wanted to have. This is a pipe dream at best, but it's something to think (and go insane) about. What would suck about the concept would be that each companies individual visions would be compromised in the process, what with Schafer's already planned designs, Telltale's ideas about technically innovative and episodic games, and Autumn Moon's apparent desire make straight-up LucasArts style adventures, willing to starve simply to delight a limited audience.

Man, I need to stop torturing myself.
  • edited December 2004
    So, get a dream team together of all the people who helped work on it,( except some of the ones still at Lucas Arts,) to work on 15-5% of a unfinished project. I suppose the other question is, do Lucas Arts still have all of the Sam and Max 2 data , or were the computers it was stored on donated to the George Lucas Computer Destruction Stress Relief Centre/er.
  • edited December 2004
    So, get a dream team together of all the people who helped work on it,( except some of the ones still at Lucas Arts,) to work on 15-5% of a unfinished project. I suppose the other question is, do Lucas Arts still have all of the Sam and Max 2 data , or were the computers it was stored on donated to the George Lucas Computer Destruction Stress Relief Centre/er.

lets hope everything is stored
  • edited December 2004
    I can't imagine literally destroying a game just cuz it never saw the light of day... t'would be interesting to see the leftovers of all those games companies "thought" wouldn't sell that well. ;)
  • edited December 2004
    what was up with FT2 anyway? I remember when I first heard they were going to make another one and it was going to be part action or something ? yeah fighting on the bike in the first game wasn't too bad but if anyone gets their hands on FT I think they should keep it true to the first game. Although it could have been longer.... and more puzzles.... I wonder in terms of voice actors if they are still kicking around in the biz. its been a long time since I played that game. I remember I got it for free when I got grim fandango I think.... I think I lent it out and never got it back though... anyway time to get back to work. frikken assignments.
  • edited December 2004
    Unless Full Throttle had a "much loved trailer" and featured animals (as Bad-Brain has mentioned both those things in recent interviews regarding the game aquisition), then I think we can rule it out as the, err, mystery LucasArts game Bad-Brain is trying to buy.
  • edited December 2004
    what was up with FT2 anyway? I remember when I first heard they were going to make another one and it was going to be part action or something ? yeah fighting on the bike in the first game wasn't too bad but if anyone gets their hands on FT I think they should keep it true to the first game. Although it could have been longer.... and more puzzles.... I wonder in terms of voice actors if they are still kicking around in the biz.

In terms of Hell on Wheels, yes, it was going to have much more action than the original game. Which is part of what made everyone sort of back away slowly from it. Supposedly LucasArts swore there were still lots of "adventure" elements, but meh, after seeing snatches of the combat system, I doubt it. It was just going to be mediocre-to-bad all around.

As for voice actors, well, Mark Hamill is still around, as is Kath Soucie (I think?)...but Roy Conrad (Ben) died a few years ago. :(( Maybe, if they really looked, they could find a suitable sound-alike...but Ben's voice is hard to imitate, IMHO.
    Unless Full Throttle had a "much loved trailer" and featured animals (as Bad-Brain has mentioned both those things in recent interviews regarding the game aquisition)...

Actually, the words weren't "much loved" but "fine" trailer. IMHO the trailer to FT2 wasn't that bad, in terms of trailers. It's fairly well put together, and I like the music to it. It's just the gross mishandling of the entire project that taints it. (Although I wil admit that, of the two, Sam & Max 2 has the better trailer.) And again, the quote about animals was "might involve animals." If you really wanted to stretch things, well, the Freeway Tribes in the original FT were all named after animals, or their names were derived from animal names.

But really, after reading the actual Adventure Gamers' interview, I'd have to say that it's Sam & Max 2, not FT2. FT didn't even get a mention once in the entire interview and didn't show up on Kierdorf's list of favorite games, so why should he bother negotiating for its license if he doesn't seem to like it?

Though I still say that there's something completely surreal about this whole thing, if it is Sam & Max 2.

Aaaand my rampant fangirlism of FT is showing through now, so I'll just head for the hills, if you don't mind...
  • edited December 2004
    Actually, the words weren't "much loved" but "fine" trailer.

Ahh yes, getting my Telltale & Bad-Brain quotes a little muddled. Regardless, there's no evidence to support a Full Throttle resurrection and plenty to support as planned Sam & Max one.
  • edited December 2004
    Actually, the words weren't "much loved" but "fine" trailer.

Ahh yes, getting my Telltale & Bad-Brain quotes a little muddled. Regardless, there's no evidence to support a Full Throttle resurrection and plenty to support as planned Sam & Max one.

Agrees
  • edited December 2004
    Aaaand my rampant fangirlism of FT is showing through now, so I'll just head for the hills, if you don't mind...

I was looking forward to FT2 the most too, so you're not alone in the world.
  • edited December 2004

I was looking forward to FT2 the most too, so you're not alone in the world.

Oh good, I was starting to worry for a while there.

And JP, I agree with you--the most recent clues coming out of Bad Brain are definitely indicative of a Sam & Max 2. I was just playing devil's advocate. ;)
  • edited December 2004
    I was browsing my usual messageboard community (MoogleMB at the current time) and came upon a topic proposing games for the Nintendo DS. The topic creator proposed Sega Saturn games for the DS, which I thought was a good idea (despite the fact that I actually do have a Sega Saturn), but what really struck me as brilliant was someone proposing traditional Point & Click Adventure games for the DS. Like Sam & Max.

Perfect! Sam & Max DS! A wonderful idea! Shuffling through the inventory and main screen might be a little challenging, but Portable Point & Click Sam & Max would be wonderful.

For those who don't know, the Nintendo DS is a new portable system by Nintendo (no, really?) that has two screens, one of which is a TOUCH SCREEN.

Of course, I don't even know if this is feasible. Programming something for a computer is one thing, programming something for a console/handheld is completely different.

Did I even post this in the right thread? XD
  • edited December 2004
    I was browsing my usual messageboard community (MoogleMB at the current time) and came upon a topic proposing games for the Nintendo DS. The topic creator proposed Sega Saturn games for the DS, which I thought was a good idea (despite the fact that I actually do have a Sega Saturn), but what really struck me as brilliant was someone proposing traditional Point & Click Adventure games for the DS. Like Sam & Max.

Perfect! Sam & Max DS! A wonderful idea! Shuffling through the inventory and main screen might be a little challenging, but Portable Point & Click Sam & Max would be wonderful.

For those who don't know, the Nintendo DS is a new portable system by Nintendo (no, really?) that has two screens, one of which is a TOUCH SCREEN.

Of course, I don't even know if this is feasible. Programming something for a computer is one thing, programming something for a console/handheld is completely different.

sounds good
  • edited December 2004
    For a portable console like the ones Nintendo have been spitting out it would defiantly be possible. But character scaling is hard to do with certain views so the games might end up isometric, (like 2-D Zelda rpgs).
  • edited December 2004

sounds good
    Sounds interesting, but been done before... Personally i use a sharp zaurus with a ported scummvm to play scumm games such as sam and max portably...
  • edited December 2004
    Hmmm, interesting idea.
    But, this would be an easier way to bring it to a main(er) stream, or something. I dunno XD

Also, the Zelda RPGs aren't isometric, they're overhead (and not really even RPGs, they're Adventure. The only REAL Zelda RPG was Zelda II, and it sucked XD). Isometric is like most Tactical RPGs, including FFT.

And character scaling shouldn't be an issue. It worked fine in the original S&M.
  • edited December 2004
    I know this picture was shown a long time ago so its odd showing it now but I had to tell people just for another guess (this probably isnt it but maybe) This picture: team.jpg

The man on the very left has a hammer made out of clay and in 1997 a game came out called "NeverHood" and it was made intirerly from clay. You could go to google or somthing and check it out.
  • edited December 2004
    umm, most of that game was set in a place called Claytown. Guess why. Because everything was made out of clay.
  • edited December 2004
    umm, most of that game was set in a place called Claytown. Guess why. Because everything was made out of clay.

maybe
  • edited December 2004
    I know this picture was shown a long time ago so its odd showing it now but I had to tell people just for another guess (this probably isnt it but maybe) This picture: team.jpg

My guess is that they're just posing with stuff that somehow associates to their favorite adventure games.
  • edited December 2004
    Or maybe its agame they worked on (the guy on the left Neverhood and the guy with the monkey would of helped in the making of Monkey Island)
  • edited December 2004
    BUMP :))
  • edited December 2004
    Dahhhhh, You Brought it back from the dead.
This discussion has been closed.