Interactive Fanfiction: The Road Ahead.

Comments

• [Go to the prison.]

Oh yes, this is so exciting :D

It was a great first part for the DLC. I already like Violet, probably not as much as Rachel, but after one part that's kinda natural. I'm very excited for how her story and the other stories in the DLC will continue.

TWD_25 posted: »

DLC: Forgotten memories [1/8] Violet Moore: DAY 1 I constantly check back and forth between the car’s clock and the road ahead. Traffi

• edited February 2015

Oh yiss, it's here! :D

[Go to the prison.]

DLC: Forgotten memories [1/8] Violet Moore: DAY 1 I constantly check back and forth between the car’s clock and the road ahead. Traffi

• [Go to the prison.]

Finally :D

• When's the next part coming out? :)

• [Go to the prison.]

Great first part! I can't wait to see where this goes!

• Patience you must have, my young Padawan!

TWD_25 has a new story (click here to join) and will likely concentrate on it at first, but has confirmed that The Road Ahead is not dead.

• I heard you have a walking dead story. Just finished reading this, it's pretty good. And I submitted a character. I just bumped this so much.

• edited April 2015

Great job! I'll bump it even more!

It's been 2 months... ;_;

AAA_Jane posted: »

I heard you have a walking dead story. Just finished reading this, it's pretty good. And I submitted a character. I just bumped this so much.

• So... I originally just wanted to reread a few parts of the story, as it just passed the 1-year anniversary yesterday. But then I took a closer look at that thread title and saw this:

[SEASON TWO UNCANCELLED IT'S COMING THIS MONTH Y'ALL HOLLA]

Alt text

It seems I wasn't wrong in keeping my hopes up for Season 2 and that makes me super excited! I can't wait for it :D

On another note, I'm a bit late for it, but happy belated birthday The Road Ahead! Here's to my favourite story, to an amazing Season 1 and to a certainly even better Season 2 :D

• YES! Season 1 was by far my favorite story on the forum and now Season 2 is coming yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!! So excited!!!

• I'm so glad that you decided to bring this back! :D

• YAY YAY YAY AYA

• edited July 2015

I apologize for my late reaction, but I accidentally unfollowed the thread, so...

Alt text

Btw, what about the DLC? Will that continue?

• edited July 2015

Yes! The DLC is going to continue, I haven't worked on it as much as I have of Season two but I do have an idea. I've actually changed a lot about the DLC and season two in the past couple of weeks. The DLC is coming Monday and hopefully I'll finish it that same week, then I'll jump right into season two and wing it.

Pipas posted: »

I apologize for my late reaction, but I accidentally unfollowed the thread, so... Btw, what about the DLC? Will that continue?

• Cool! Can't wait! :D

Yes! The DLC is going to continue, I haven't worked on it as much as I have of Season two but I do have an idea. I've actually changed a lot

• Starting part two!

• Alt text

Starting part two!

• This is awesome! Can't wait for it :D

Starting part two!

• I can't wait! :D

Starting part two!

• YAY

Starting part two!

• IT'S COMING TODAY

:(

• IT'S COMING TODAY????

awww shit

i forgot everything that happened in the first season but i'm too lazy to read everything again

• The IT'S COMING TODAY was there a week ago, so... it can happen anytime now! :D

IT'S COMING TODAY???? awww shit i forgot everything that happened in the first season but i'm too lazy to read everything again

• Why have I not seen this until now? Stupid me.

Your writing is great and I really like it!

• Quality, it's great to see you here :D

Now we can only hope that TWD_25 will return soon. There are so many open questions after Season 1 and I'm dying for some answers.

mr.quality posted: »

Why have I not seen this until now? Stupid me. Your writing is great and I really like it!

• So I've noticed.

Quality, it's great to see you here Now we can only hope that TWD_25 will return soon. There are so many open questions after Season 1 and I'm dying for some answers.

• [SEASON TWO UNCANCELLED IT'S COMING TODAY]

Much sad

• edited December 2015

:(

This has been dead for almost a year (the actual story) wtf happened.

Oh well this wasn't even that good.

[SEASON TWO UNCANCELLED IT'S COMING TODAY] Much sad

• Oh well this wasn't even that good.

enter image description here

u wot m8

This is one of the best stories I've read on the forums.

This has been dead for almost a year (the actual story) wtf happened. Oh well this wasn't even that good.

• I agree with this so much. Just seeing the Road Ahead back in my feed caused a big grin to appear on my face. This story is obviously still one of my all-time favourites. The ending has been heartbreaking, especially considering that Season 2 was so heavily teased, but that does not change that the story itself has been incredible. It's very, very tragic that Season 2 never happened, especially since I'm still dying to get an answer on wether or not two very specific characters are still alive or not, but well, at least I got my headcanon for that. It's not perfect, but good enough, even though official confirmation about Tony and Selena would still mean the world to me :D Anyway, I guess it speaks volumes about how great this story is that you and me are still coming back to it after all this time. Even though it sadly looks like Season 2 is never going to happen, I'd still be all in for it if TWD_25 decides to return to the forums, no matter how long it takes. This story is too awesome to give up on it :)

Oh well this wasn't even that good. u wot m8 This is one of the best stories I've read on the forums.

• Oh well this wasn't even that good.

I know this story has been dead for so long now and I didnt even get the chance to join but after writing my comment in your own story I remembered that I read this comment last year when I catched up with this and after your behavior recently it makes me angry and I have to bump this to call you out on it.

I find it ironic that you call the story bad when you havent managed to write anything on your own. At least TWD25 has written most of this story and you should feel bad for critisizing this story while treating those who want to read your story like crap. I never had the chance to vote or comment but this story is one of the best written stories in the forum games. I dont see you writing a better story.

This has been dead for almost a year (the actual story) wtf happened. Oh well this wasn't even that good.

• Oh god, you killed me by bumping this :'( I still haven't given up my hopes for this story to continue one day and seeing it back in my feed has caused quite the number of old feelings for this to resurface. Argh, I need to know how the story is going to continue, or how it would have continued, or what TWD_25's plans have been. I just have to know it D:

At the same time, I don't think it is that much of a good idea to attack Jane over something that was written over a year ago. Sure, things have been unfortunate with Jane's story and I can understand that you are upset, but this isn't going to help with anything.

And well, now I am back at reading the story and I can hear my heart breaking all over again. Maybe 2017 will be the year I will finally know what would have happened in Season 2? Please?

janitor posted: »

Oh well this wasn't even that good. I know this story has been dead for so long now and I didnt even get the chance to join but afte

• Saw this in my notifications and be like

enter image description here

• Man, all this bumping makes me miss the story so much. Maybe it's time for reread...

• edited February 2017

SEASON TWO

RACHEL

3 years in:

Townsend, located dead smack in the middle of Montana, was a quiet little town that looked desolate long before the world fell. To the east, the Missouri river and way wards west sat the big belt mountains, to the north were the forests and the south side of town was flanked with uncultivated fields of farmland.

We lived on the south side.

I slide my feet into a pair of winter boots that are a little too loose for me. I grab my bow and quiver as I head out the front door. I won’t need this unless I come across any game too big to fit in my traps, which seems to be fewer by the day. I throw my stuff into the car and head out towards the river.

Snow crunches under my boots, I navigate my way through the sparse evergreens until I come across the river, in the summer, when the mornings were pleasant, I would put my snares on both sides of the river to get as much meat as possible. Idiotically, I chose to risk it and place my traps across the river my first winter. When I crossed that first time, I slipped on a crossing I created using rocks I collected over the fall. I fell into knee deep water and almost froze right there. There was nothing I could do when I got back to the house Margareth told me, three of my toes had to be removed. Coming into this second winter, and with more knowledge of the land, I found that the river is nearly frozen a mile downstream and I could easily cross if I move carefully across.

When I’m done examining the snares on my side I reset them and cross the river. There was nothing in them. When I get to the west side of the river too see I’ve caught two frozen rabbits. I grab them by their hind legs and tuck them to my belt. I follow the trees, deeper into the forest where even more of my traps are laid. It’s a quarter mile before I hear a faint breathing. I draw an arrow from my quiver, but as I feel my arrows I remember I shouldn’t bother with wasting it over a biter. I draw the knife from my pocket, grab it by the neck and slide it into her temple. I toss her onto the ground and feel her pockets.

She was young maybe thirteen or fourteen, but newly turned. Her skin was pale but not rotted and she was in winter apparel, her hair was red and in two braids, a gingerish red like Judy’s she looks almost like Judy if she had grown up a bit more. That girl, she was a crazy one but I really did believe in her at the time. I find myself staring longingly into space before I snap myself back to reality. It’s odd, you don’t see too many people or biters roaming up this far north. Sometimes when I’m alone like now, I feel like I’m the last person on earth. The jacket would be a nice fit for Cynthia, I decide to pull it off her and bring it back to the home.

When I go to check the snares I find the entrails and fresh blood of what ma have been a rabbit. It musti’ve been the one I just put down too, you don’t see too many biters or people this far north, especially in this forest. People especially, it’s why I’m so comfortable driving the car practically anywhere, there’s hardly anyone you have to look out for. Although the people we stole this car from back down in South Dakota would probably have it out for us if they ever caught us.

I throw the rabbits onto the passenger seat and drive back. Two won’t be enough, not for a day, not with Margareth, L.J, Bianca and Cynthia. Cynthia especially who hit a mini growth spurt and needs all she can get. The human body is odd yet amazing, somehow while starving and being on the run, Cynthia’s lanky child build grew up to be willowy. She stood thin and long like before but had grown up quite a bit. But who knows, maybe she would’ve been even taller than me if she had grown up right; maybe she’d be a six-foot giant.

I show up back to the cabin and greet Margareth who’s already up and awake in the kitchen.

“Catch of the day?” She gives a weak smile.

“Biter’s took my snares down.” I say. She paces back and forth into the living room with her hand on her hip, she’s gotten so thin it’s not healthy. Margareth’s face is thin and hollow also, like a cocaine addict, she hasn’t taken care of herself for a while now after her boy left, when the group was strong back in Texas she put a brave front, but it’s only so long you can take until you have to stop pretending.

“Maybe in the summer you can learn how to trap fish. Trout, salmon all that sorta stuff sounds pretty good right about now.”

“Anything I could eat sounds pretty good right now.”

“Careful Rachel,” She gives a light chuckle. “You sound like one of them.”

“Where are L.J and Bianca?” I ask.

“They’re sleeping, bout to go on a supply run with me when the sun’s fully out.”

“Oh, that's code for fucking.” I look behind me at the locked bedroom door.

“It is what it is.” She lets out a sigh and sits down on the living room sofa. “When I was that age I was just as free spirited and wild as those two. Eh, prolly more if I think about it.”

“I am younger than both of them. Five years younger I believe.” I say.

“Eh, now that I think about it I do remember yeh. You were so young, and a little too naïve.” Margareth’s gaelic accent appears more prominently when she speaks faster or off the top of her head. “ I’m sorry but I don’t mean to offend ya, but sometimes I forget you’re barely a grown women and not one of mah friends that are mah age. What are ye? Twenty-three, twenty-four?”

“Twenty three… I think.” I say. “Where’s Cynth?”

“The barn I believe.” She says. “Oh yes! I remember something, the hens in the barn we can use for eating. Why don’t you go down there and I can cook it into a meal tonight, the rabbits could be lunch.”

“Good idea, I’ll go down to the barn right now.”

It was a short walk to the barn, you never really forget how cold it is without any heating inside but the wind certainly makes you wish you were inside. I hurry into the barn and get out of the wind. Cytnhia is in the barn already giving the birds some feed. I’m a little jealous these birds just sit here all winter getting fatter and being able to eat so easily because the barn is stocked with bird feed. Meanwhile we’re here starving halfway there to becoming biters.

“Hey Cynth.” She puts down the feeder and flashes a quick grin at me. “I got you a jacket, in the car. Should fit better than this one you got right now.”

“Really?” She grins. “Who’d you have to kill to get that?”

“Don’t…” I constrain my voice through gritted teeth. The blood flushes from my face and I feel dizzy. I pause and regain my composure. “Don’t say things like that, alright? It’s in the backseat, should be open.”

Cynthia walks out quietly from the barn. I know she didn’t mean it like that, but with so much I want to forget I don’t want anything to even remind me of the things I’ve done.

After a couple more seconds of deep breathing I bring myself towards the hen’s nest. I grab the bird by the neck and push it against the floor. Just as I’m ready to cut the head off the barn doors open.

“No!” Cynthia yells. “What are you doing?”

“We need the meat Cynth. You’ll starve if we don’t.”

“I don’t care. Myrtle never did nothing wrong.”

“You named the fucking chicken Myrtle?”

“Yeah, she’s a good chicken. Please don’t kill her Rachel I’ll do anything for you not to.”

“How can you talk this way about some stupid chicken but somehow I got the feeling you’d barely blink an eye if someone got eaten by those biters?”

“Because this chicken isn’t an asshole that’s going to try to kill me, please Rachel, please don’t kill Myrtle.”

[Kill the chicken] [Don’t kill the chicken]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.