Control Scheme?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Fallenkal wrote: »
    Good point. It depends on which I see released first. At the end of the day I LOVE Monkey Island, so whichever is released first is what I want to try.

At least if I pirate it I get the full picture on what the product is.

You should get enough picture by the demo, disliking the controls is no justification to piracy, especially not from a rather small independend development house ;-)
  • edited June 2009
    Good point. It depends on which I see released first. At the end of the day I LOVE Monkey Island, so whichever is released first is what I want to try.

I've never seen a pirated version of a TTG game beeing released before the official version/demo was around. So i guess you'll have to stick to the demo version. Pirates pirating a pirate game. Fischers Fritz fischt frische Fische.

If you're unsure about a game and depending on the quality of a demo version i sometimes can understand when people are trying out a pirated version first but i always hope that if they're enjoying/playing it, they are also honest enough buying the product afterwards. Otherwise it has this, i don't like your cake but i still eat it attitude which is lame.
  • edited June 2009
    And if everyone did that, there would be no more Monkey Island (or any other game) ever.

Last game I pirated was Plants vs. Zombies. I paid 10 bucks the next day and I'm still playing it weeks later. I'm sorry I even questioned the quality of the game. But, it's better to be regretful about my doubts temporarily than to regret paying money for a game I didn't like.

Wallace & Grommit wasn't worth $35. So far it isn't worth $5. I'm not about to make the same mistake twice without at least expressing my opinion.
  • edited June 2009

Yep, real genius right here. Talking about pirating Telltale's games on their own forums. Just play the demos if you're curious if the game is worth your money, sheesh.
  • edited June 2009
    Last night I partied like it was 2007 and replayed Reality 2.0, and wonder of wonders, I found myself missing the Wallace & Gromit controls. Having to click five or six times to get from Bosco's to the COPS hideout due to scrolling and camera angle shifts was way more effort than using keyboard controls, and that's with only the most rudimentary use of 3D in the environments. So here's an active vote for keeping camera-relative WASD/arrow/numpad input.
  • edited June 2009
    That's highly subjective, I think it's a lot more effort to manually guide the character.
  • edited June 2009
    Yep, real genius right here. Talking about pirating Telltale's games on their own forums. Just play the demos if you're curious if the game is worth your money, sheesh.

What's the alternative? To lie to people who I think approve of honest feedback? Time will tell on that one...

Regardless of the demos pirates provide something more important to me. There are two categories (in my opinion), games you pay for and games you play. Wallace and Grommit is a game I'd play... I should have never paid for it. I never would have if I had played the demo. My trust in Telltale is why I outright paid for it before it launched.

Fact is, I'm a fan of Guybrush. I've been a fan since Lucasarts made the game and I've played through all of them (I've paid for every version of it to date) Why should I deny myself the next chapter of the story? Hell, after the break in releases it's hardly my fault if Telltale procured the rights to the game and that game has to endure the control system controversy.
  • edited June 2009
    Shale wrote: »
    Last night I partied like it was 2007 and replayed Reality 2.0, and wonder of wonders, I found myself missing the Wallace & Gromit controls. Having to click five or six times to get from Bosco's to the COPS hideout due to scrolling and camera angle shifts was way more effort than using keyboard controls, and that's with only the most rudimentary use of 3D in the environments. So here's an active vote for keeping camera-relative WASD/arrow/numpad input.

Clicking six times is Telltale's fault. Other games surpassed this complication. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, you could click and hold in Sam & Max too.

Just sayin'
  • edited June 2009
    Why should I deny myself the next chapter of the story?

Are you serious? You shouldn't deny yourself the next chapter but if you want to play it you should pay for it! If you dont want to play it, don't.

Simples.
  • edited June 2009
    @Fallenkal
    If you're playing a game then you're enjoying it, otherwise it doesn't make any sense unless you don't know what else to do with your time. A few exceptions like game developer or game journalist do exist. Often when you're young you're also playing less entertaining games because you somehow need to play everything. The older you get the more valuable your time will be to you and the less you play games you don't like. Those you still play, are the ones you really should buy.

The question why you should deny yourself to something you haven't payed for is a rhetorical one, right?!
  • edited June 2009
    NickTTG wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

take it in... wait for a demo... there are lots of pages of people saying the same thing... most people at telltale can read a web page... lots of us have read this forum... you're unhappy... we love our fans... lets talk again after we've all gotten a chance to try the game out

It's too late then. As proven by so many in the past.

Ignore the people who hate the control system on the forum... I get that. Ignore those people and want to expand their playerbase... I don't get. You have to take care of the people who have while expanding. If you don't eventually the rug gets pulled out from under you and you slowly die.

My reference? Star Wars Galaxies. Prime example with real results no game company can ever ignore.

Nobody gets the decision to brush off an insignificant minority. If a company decides to do it; subsequent changes are made that whittle away at the core community which can never be replaced.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll be pirating the game unless the point and click interface is returned.
    I think a "consume digestion end-product and expire thusly" would be in order here...

np: Deadbeat - Night Train To Paris (Journeyman's Annual)
  • edited June 2009
    I'll bring up the parser vs P&C point again. When the interface changed from parser to P&C there was a huge outroar that games were being "dumbed down." This is no different. But it's worse now because we've been without adventures for so long now that we've become stuck in our ways. This NEEDS to happen. The adventure community wouldn't be near as large as it is now (let alone the fact that there would be NO Monkey Island!) if adventures didn't evolve from pure text, to parser and animated graphics, to P&C only, and now finally to full motion-camera 3D. You can't play P&C with full motion-camera 3D. I'm actually hoping TTG keeps the new control scheme and continues to refine it as time goes on. Fact is, adventures will not (and cannot) ever be like they were in the past. This is a perfect example. If adventures are ever going to live again they first have to go through some changes to appeal to more people.
  • edited June 2009
    I think you can play full motion camera 3D with mouse controls, it just takes a bit more work to get it 'right'.

I see no reason why this can't be an option, other than lack of resources to implement it.

I'm still hoping they will eventually come up with a solution, they are my favourite game company now, after all... I love pretty much everything about them other than this.
  • edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    @Fallenkal
    If you're playing a game then you're enjoying it, otherwise it doesn't make any sense unless you don't know what else to do with your time. A few exceptions like game developer or game journalist do exist. Often when you're young you're also playing less entertaining games because you somehow need to play everything. The older you get the more valuable your time will be to you and the less you play games you don't like. Those you still play, you really should buy then.

The question why you should deny yourself to something you haven't payed for is a rhetorical one, right?!

I don't know how to respond to the general thought of this. I just disagree with you.

A game I've played and not enjoyed... I played WoW like so many others when my enjoyment had been a thing of the past. I played because of a friend who relied on me or a guild or some sort of pier pressure. I did it because I didn't want to let my netfriends down. This is just an example of playing games you don't like... not some open ended debate.

As for age. I'm 25. The games I remember from my childhood are still hailed today as defining genres.

My time isn't so valuable that wasting hours on a game is something I would complain about; it's just something that happens.

Any game I've played more than once, I own. I'm certainly not advocating piracy; I'm merely stating that I want to keep up with the story but have no intention to fund a horrific interface system. To do that would be a form of piracy in itself.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think you actually know what "piracy" means.

It's pretty simple. You either think the game is worth playing or you don't. If it's worth playing, it's worth paying for. If it's not, then don't play it.
  • edited June 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    I think you can play full motion camera 3D with mouse controls, it just takes a bit more work to get it 'right'.

I see no reason why this can't be an option, other than lack of resources to implement it.

I'm still hoping they will eventually come up with a solution, they are my favourite game company now, after all... I love pretty much everything about them other than this.

Perhaps an alternative could be two modes. The new mode with the directional arrows/gamepad and dynamic moving camera and a classic mode which reverts the camera out to a standard fixed position that either moves with you as you walk (by playing P&C) or rotates to follow you. And depending on where you walk to the camera changes position like in Grim Fandango/EMI.
  • edited June 2009
    LOL @ talking about pirating a pirate game.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm merely stating that I want to keep up with the story but have no intention to fund a horrific interface system. To do that would be a form of piracy in itself.

Oh dear. It seems my head just exploded while trying to parse this logic.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm merely stating that I want to keep up with the story but have no intention to fund a horrific interface system.

That's what plot synopses are for.
  • edited June 2009
    Perhaps an alternative could be two modes. The new mode with the directional arrows/gamepad and dynamic moving camera and a classic mode which reverts the camera out to a standard fixed position that either moves with you as you walk (by playing P&C) or rotates to follow you. And depending on where you walk to the camera changes position like in Grim Fandango/EMI.
    That would be very cool!

I do think it would be possible to have mouse controls even with the cinematic angles and such, though... but it would take a lot more work to create, at least if you want it to feel intuitive.

But your idea there is very good... the only problem is it's probably too much to handle when you need to pump out episodes so frequently.
  • edited June 2009
    I keep hearing in interviews and posts from the team that the controls are the same as Wallce & Gromit right now, but they are not final. Given the amount of input people have given about the control scheme dislikes, I'd be surprised if they just went ahead with the W&G controls. Not to mention the Wiiware version will need to be point and click.
  • edited June 2009
    They will be better than the W&G controls. If you like direct control, I'm sure you will be very happy with them.
  • edited June 2009
    Not to mention the Wiiware version will need to be point and click.

Nah. Nunchuck.
  • edited June 2009
    Not to mention the Wiiware version will need to be point and click.

Actually, if they required they used the nunchuck attachment on the Wii, they could use the W&G controls. You could move Guybrush (or whomever) with the control stick and point with the remote. Actually, that might be kind of cool...
  • edited June 2009

My time isn't so valuable that wasting hours on a game is something I would complain about; it's just something that happens.

You're right. You haven't played the game yet, but it just so happens you're wasting your hours complaining anyway.
  • edited June 2009
    salmonmax wrote: »
    Actually, if they required they used the nunchuck attachment on the Wii, they could use the W&G controls. You could move Guybrush (or whomever) with the control stick and point with the remote. Actually, that might be kind of cool...

I read somewhere that that's exactly what they're looking at doing. But an official final decision still hasn't been made.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    It's too late then. As proven by so many in the past.

Ignore the people who hate the control system on the forum... I get that.

dude... really? sooo you quoted my post but didn't read it?

brilliant.

so you guys like the wallace and gromit controls? is that what i'm hearing?
  • edited June 2009

Durrr...
    edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Durrr...

haha man! classic old me. jake made my user title to that back in the day. i should probably change it now ha
  • edited June 2009
    Fact is, I'm a fan of Guybrush. I've been a fan since Lucasarts made the game and I've played through all of them (I've paid for every version of it to date) Why should I deny myself the next chapter of the story? Hell, after the break in releases it's hardly my fault if Telltale procured the rights to the game and that game has to endure the control system controversy.

So here is your choice, pay for it and play it, or dont pay for it and leave it...
    If you want to know if it is along your line of games try the demo upfront!
    Seriously!
  • edited June 2009
    Or wait until they release a series you like, preorder it and get free episodes :p
  • edited June 2009

I won't buy Tales of Monkey Island unless I'm required to interface with the game by way of a used banana peel and two sporks. While wearing a feathered hat.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll bring up the parser vs P&C point again. When the interface changed from parser to P&C there was a huge outroar that games were being "dumbed down."

Ah yes I can remember that time, the main issue was that the games in the first iteration really were dumbed down. The reason was that the game designers simply did not know that the point and click interface actually made things easier than raw text input!

I can remember that I needed about 3 hours to finish Leisure Suit Larry 5 from start to finish!
    Fact is adventure games always had to adapt to the platforms they were running on and back then the introduction of point and click was such an adaption!
  • edited June 2009
    I won't buy Tales of Monkey Island unless I'm required to interface with the game by way of a used banana peel and two sporks. While wearing a feathered hat.
    I'd settle for a mouse :cool::p
  • edited June 2009

Me neither unless it has an auto monkey mode enabled, the one with three headed monkeys playing the game for me bottom down...
    :D

Ah yes and we need naked monkeys lots of them, the game needs a monkey XXX rating!
  • edited June 2009

Personally I'd rather control it with a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.
    (Make a great Wiimote cover XD)
    edited June 2009

Just got some programmer time allotted to this. Can't believe we didn't think of this
  • edited June 2009
    Personally I'd rather control it with a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.
    (Make a great Wiimote cover XD)
    Oh god, there are way too many things I could say to this.
  • edited June 2009
    Just got some programmer time allotted to this. Can't believe we didn't think of this
    Thanks, I'll be coming down to Telltale HQ and throwing bags of money at the front door to the building shortly.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.