Control Scheme?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Was there any reason why TOMI wasnt made like a standard point and click game?

I dont know anything about game designing, but how hard would it be to, go back and change the controls to a standard point and click game?
  • edited June 2009
    prizna wrote: »
    Was there any reason why TOMI wasnt made like a standard point and click game?

I dont know anything about game designing, but how hard would it be to, go back and change the controls to a standard point and click game?

As far as I know the controls for Tales have yet to be finalised.
  • edited June 2009
    thats good, last i heard it used the keyboard to wal around and the mouse to interact with things.
  • edited June 2009
    (off topic, why is it that I get my best ideas for posts at 5am after I've had numerous alcoholic drinks and as a consequence can't type very well!)

Ideas bad, alcohol good...8am, fantastic.
  • edited June 2009
    thats good, last i heard it used the keyboard to wal around and the mouse to interact with things.
    The Wallace and Gromit controls used the keyboard to move. You could use the keyboard to select things(scrolling between all selectable things) or use the mouse(which I generally used). You could open the inventory by clicking the scroll wheel or pressing a key.
  • edited June 2009
    Does anyone know how much trouble it would be for them to change the controls to point n click because i have no idea?
  • edited June 2009
    Does anyone know how much trouble it would be for them to change the controls to point n click because i have no idea?

Probably not a *huge* amount, Strongbad had the control system worked out so you could hold click and control him directly yet point and click too.

They could blend that system with the Wallace & Grommit keyboard system (which I do like) but maybe adding a run key.
  • edited June 2009
    They could allow you to choose the control system in the options, so you could choose just a point and click option or the other controls which are probably similar to the Wallace & Grommit controls. But i really like to point and click controls so i hope they have them.
  • edited June 2009
    Sheepbrush wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if TTG took the control scheme from CMI but changed the inventory button to the middle button/scroll wheel on the mouse?

Yes that would ROCK.
  • edited June 2009
    They could blend that system with the Wallace & Grommit keyboard system (which I do like) but maybe adding a run key.

iv a thought how about keyboards need to come with a anologue stick im going to glue a joystick to my wasd keys and use it for games.

Note to self get new keyboard
  • edited June 2009
    Unfortunately it is actually quite difficult, and having a point and click interface imposes significant restrictions on where the camera can be placed.
  • edited June 2009
    Unfortunately it is actually quite difficult, and having a point and click interface imposes significant restrictions on where the camera can be placed.

It doesn't really though does it? You can still just point and click to where you want to move just like you can use the keyboard to move to that point.

This reason for keyboard control is just tosh.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    stemot wrote: »
    It doesn't really though does it? You can still just point and click to where you want to move just like you can use the keyboard to move to that point.

This is false. With a point and click control scheme, you are limited to clicking on things visible on the screen because your input is in screenspace. With direct control, you can move anywhere because the input is in worldspace.

I know you must get tired of hearing me say this, but it's not a line I'm trying to feed you. It's a provable mathematical limitation.
  • edited June 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    This is false. With a point and click control scheme, you are limited to clicking on things visible on the screen because your input is in screenspace. With direct control, you can move anywhere because the input is in worldspace.

I know you must get tired of hearing me say this, but it's not a line I'm trying to feed you. It's a provable mathematical limitation.

I've never had the problem of not being able to click where I wanted to go before in any game of this type, whether there is an item in front of the ground where I want to click or whatever. If you have a mouse cursor, you point it where you want to be and you go there, whether that's screenspace or worldspace or whatever, I always could go where I wanted to with point and clicking.
  • edited June 2009
    I've never had the problem of not being able to click where I wanted to go before in any game of this type, whether there is an item in front of the ground where I want to click or whatever. If you have a mouse cursor, you point it where you want to be and you go there, whether that's screenspace or worldspace or whatever, I always could go where I wanted to with point and clicking.

Yes, because the game designers made sure that everything you needed to click was available in screen space. This is very visible in the Sam & Max series, in the office location: after W&G, the room almost seems like it's photographed through fisheye lens.
    edited June 2009
    I always could go where I wanted to with point and clicking.

Because the levels and cameras were designed so that anywhere you would ever want to click is visible in screenspace. It's very limiting and tedious.

The house in W&G would probably play more like the house in SBCG4AP if we had to make it all work with point-and-click.
  • edited June 2009
    Yare and I have discussed this at length, while it might be theoretically possible to implement full mouse control in most scenes, it would end up being irritating to use in many situations.
  • edited June 2009
    The house in W&G would probably play more like the house in SBCG4AP if we had to make it all work with point-and-click.
    Probably needless to state, but I would have preferred a SBCG4AP-like (or better Sam&Max-like) design of the locations while keeping the point-and-click interface instead of the actual W&G-style design that requires keyboard control then. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2009
    I'm sorry, but having the West Wallaby house not look like the set for a high school stage play is extremely important for that franchise.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm sorry, but having the West Wallaby house not look like the set for a high school stage play is extremely important for that franchise.

Well I assume Telltale had strong limitations on how the game has to look like.
    And it shows W&G almost looks identical to the cartoons both in the camera angles and the graphics. Heck, if you push the graphics to 9 you can even see faked fingerprints on the characters, so much detail went in!
  • edited June 2009

You are, of course, referring to the limitations of The Telltale Tool. We all know it is entirely possible to make a game point-and-click and still gain the advantage of viewing all 6 walls of a room. Gabriel Knight 3 is only one example.

In GK3, the mouse handled all actions including camera control to look in nooks and crannies of all 6 walls.
  • edited June 2009
    xaRoc wrote: »
    You are, of course, referring to the limitations of The Telltale Tool. We all know it is entirely possible to make a game point-and-click and still gain the advantage of viewing all 6 walls of a room. Gabriel Knight 3 is only one example.

In GK3, the mouse handled all actions including camera control to look in nooks and crannies of all 6 walls.

Gabriel knight switched between first and third person view constantly, but nevertheless the controls were really top notch!
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Gabriel knight switched between first and third person view constantly
    True and it was less tedious playing that way but it doesn't have to be played that way. I replayed the game to prove this to myself. It can be played entirely in third-person view, as the game has many cameras in each room. If you allow the game to have camera control, it just switches angles as you leave the frame of one and enter another.

It's just that the GK3 rooms were so vast, it was better to move your camera as the player. Still, first-person views were only used for the investigation. If you chose to put tape on hole, Gabriel would then walk into your view and you would see him apply the tape to the hole. The illusion was not really lost. And since Telltale's rooms are not so large, I don't see needing a first-person view. However, it would require building a new interface from ground up so this is all pie inna sky.

Back on topic, I approve of keyboard control but am fuzzy as to why a mouse is also needed. What is it about the appendix of a computer that must be necessary if developed for consoles? The keyboard should be able to do everything a mouse can with what I've seen of Telltale's interface.
    edited June 2009
    xaRoc wrote: »

The ground still needs to be visible for point and click in those sort of scenarios even with tons of camera switching. Anyway, everyone should hold their horses until ToMI 1 releases. I found time in my hectic W&G schedule to pop over and work on the new controls for a bit. Wait and see!
  • edited June 2009
    I don't understand why some people are so fixated on the moving around with keyboard.

I could see how people would be bothered if it had an EMI/Grim Fandango style system, because that was always very fiddly when it came to interacting with objects and characters.

But given that all the object interactions are performed with the mouse and it's just character movement which uses the keyboard I fail to see the problem. In fact, using the keyboard to control walking seems like a superior method in almost every way I can think of.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not so concerned about it to be honest, I think its just an old crusty part of me that considers 'point and click' to include the walking.

Wallace and Grommit's controls are good, if I had to nitpick it would be the mouse acceleration, it feels weird compared to other Telltale games, I'm guessing it's something to do with the game being coded with the 360's joypad in mind.
  • edited June 2009
    WDeranged wrote: »
    I think its just an old crusty part of me that considers 'point and click' to include the walking.
    I started to re-play "The Secret of Monkey Island" yesterday, and I have to admit that I wondered why Guybrush would not walk when pressing the keys I am used to from "Wallace & Gromit" now... - But when I remembered that this is not necessary for the game, I enjoyed leaning back in my chair and playing the game "mouse only" again! :p
  • edited June 2009
    I'd like to see an updated verb system return like I saw in the remastered MI 1
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2009
    As I am only willing to buy this series if proper (e.g. non-W&G-type) controls are implemented, it's high time, only days before release, to bring some information out on this. It's obvious that you're supposed to order blindfolded to receive the Steve-Purcell-cover - but this feels more like walking the plank.
  • edited June 2009
    Anyone who doesn't get a new Monkey Island game solely because the controls aren't quite what they hoped for probably doesn't deserve it.

as Mark Darin has said in the pre-order forums, though, the controls haven't been announced yet, they're busy working stuff out.
  • edited June 2009
    inso wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't get a new Monkey Island game solely because the controls aren't quite what they hoped for probably doesn't deserve it.
    Me! Unless the ToMI-demo can convince me that the controls are significantly better than for W&G.
  • edited June 2009
    The controls for W&G are fine I don't know what you guys are complaining about. And I hate WASD controls.
    Alucard wrote: »
    I'd like to see an updated verb system return like I saw in the remastered MI 1

That wasn't updated that was stole from Sierra's mouse interface (right click switches between verb actions).
  • edited June 2009
    The reason verbs became so streamlined is that there are very few situations where you actually would NEED all those verbs, they have always been wasteful. 'Use' covers opening and closing things, combining items, giving stuff to people, generally 'using' stuff, talking to people, grabbing stuff, etc.

Combining it all into one verb doesn't dumb down the puzzle, it just makes the interface less redundant. No need to bring all those verbs back.
  • edited June 2009
    It does (potentially) significantly lower the amount of witty dialogue you could hear/read, though.
  • edited June 2009
    I loved the Sam and Max: Hit the Road interface myself. Right click to cycle between walk, talk, look, and use/pick up/give. One click per interaction isn't ideal, but also not a dealbreaker for me.
  • edited June 2009
    You'd feel right at home playing Sierra games, then, as they were the first to utilize such an interface.
  • edited June 2009
    You'd feel right at home playing Sierra games, then, as they were the first to utilize such an interface.
    I know that I first saw it in a Space Quest game. I just remember the cartoony icons for the Sam and Max interactions far better.
  • edited June 2009
    I loved the Sam and Max: Hit the Road interface myself. Right click to cycle between walk, talk, look, and use/pick up/give. One click per interaction isn't ideal, but also not a dealbreaker for me.

I think the ultimate justice lies somewhere between the interfaces of Hit the Road, CoMI and the Sam & Max series. My current best bet is two verbs: left click for the generic "interact" and right click for "examine". However, I never played a game utilizing this exact scheme, so it's only a theory :)
  • edited June 2009
    I think the ultimate justice lies somewhere between the interfaces of Hit the Road, CoMI and the Sam & Max series. My current best bet is two verbs: left click for the generic "interact" and right click for "examine". However, I never played a game utilizing this exact scheme, so it's only a theory :)

Love this idea, would work well.
  • edited June 2009
    I believe KQ7 used such an interface. I think.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.