Control Scheme?

18910111214»

Comments

• edited July 2009
    hammy797 wrote: »
    I've just got to say that of all the things that come together to form a perfect monkey island game (or any adventure game for that matter), controls are the least of my concern. Who the f#@k cares about the controls? I wouldn't care if Telltale goes out of its way to make the controls as hindering as possible...I've played through many, many adventure games, including Grim Fandango and EMI, and I'm certainly not going to let something like controls stop me from playing a new Monkey Island game (especially since, aside from the members of Telltale, none of the complainers have even played the game)!

God, I hate the internet, it's so...whiny.

For the majority of people, controls are the most important aspect of a game because that's how you play it. Can't play a game if you can't figure out/don't mix well with the controls. The closer the interactivity level with a game gets to zero the closer the entertainment level gets to zero no matter if the story is good or the characters memorable. Myself, I don't personally like the controls for GF or EMI that much, but it's really not as bad as some NES/SNES games that the Angry Video Game Nerd has reviewed. And as long as it doesn't get as bad as that (which it never will. Tell Tale is a smart company) I'll be happy. People do get too whiny, though. But I think it's very short-sighted to say "Who cares about controls?" That's a pretty important aspect of a video/computer game. Arguably the most important.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    For the majority of people, controls are the most important aspect of a game because that's how you play it.

I have a wonderful Example for bad controls. It's a remake of a classic game i played when i was young. It really drives you crazy.
  • TimTim
    edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I have a wonderful Example for bad controls. It's a remake of a classic game i played when i was young. It really drives you crazy.

Holy jesus, that is insane :eek: I am pretty confident the ToMI controls will be perfectlyfine :D
  • edited July 2009
    For the majority of people, controls are the most important aspect of a game because that's how you play it....But I think it's very short-sighted to say "Who cares about controls?" That's a pretty important aspect of a video/computer game. Arguably the most important.

Yeah, I think my "who cares about controls" comment was a bit rhetorical, which probably would have been better stated as "I don't care about controls." I mean, I clearly get that some people care about controls...26 pages of people in fact. And don't get me wrong, I don't think that control schemes are negligible in most games. I just don't personally see what the big fuss is about for a slow-paced adventure game. We're not dodging bullets, or going one-on-one versus online opponents, we're playing a puzzle game that is about 50% dialogue anyway. I must be some kind of anomaly as I adapted to W&G controls in minutes, as well as the EMI and GF controls.
  • edited July 2009
    Tim wrote: »
    Holy jesus, that is insane :eek: I am pretty confident the ToMI controls will be perfectlyfine :D
    Well, as far as Cauldron 2 is concerned the remake's controls are pretty spot-on - they were always this terrible... :D

There's a 24-minute playthrough here, in case you're interested... :)

np: Mr Scruff & Quantic - Donkey Ride (You Don't Know Ninja Cuts (Disc 1))
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    There's a 24-minute playthrough here, in case you're interested... :)
    There's also one on youtube.
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    There's also one on youtube.
    That's one and the same, but in one piece and with the option of fast forwarding through it... ;)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    That's one and the same, but in one piece and with the option of fast forwarding through it... ;)
    I was too lazy to research that, so i kept it neutral.
  • edited July 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I've played at least one like that (Toonstruck) and it is perfect.

Hey, I missed this for the first time around! Thanks for the tip - I'm gonna check it out.

(actually, I have a hazy recollection that I played this game about the time it was released - I was working for a gaming mag back then and I got to see a lot of games, which also means I forgot a lot :) )
  • edited July 2009
    (actually, I have a hazy recollection that I played this game about the time it was released - I was working for a gaming mag back then and I got to see a lot of games, which also means I forgot a lot :) )
    Two words: Christopher Freaking Lloyd.

(Okay, make that three words... :D)

np: Evil Nine - The Wait ft. David Autokkatz (They Live!)
  • edited July 2009
    Two words: Christopher Freaking Lloyd.

Yes, I guess that's why I freakin' remembered at all :D
  • edited July 2009
    Chuck wrote: »
    Nope. You can play the entire episode with the mouse, if that's what you're most comfortable with; I did exactly that yesterday. It's not point-and-click to make guybrush walk around, but the method is explained during the opening and to me, feels very natural almost immediately.

It's part of that "we've been experimenting with the interface to improve it across platforms while still keeping direct control" that we keep telling people on here we've been doing for months, but no one wants to believe us :)

I'm confused about how you can play the whole game with the mouse, but the mouse won't move Guybrush around. If that's our only input device, it seems like we're going to need it to serve that function. Or is this some cruel joke where we can play the game with just the mouse, but we'll just be standing in one spot with Dominic mocking us for not using our keyboard to get him going someplace?
  • edited July 2009
    I'm confused about how you can play the whole game with the mouse, but the mouse won't move Guybrush around. If that's our only input device, it seems like we're going to need it to serve that function. Or is this some cruel joke where we can play the game with just the mouse, but we'll just be standing in one spot with Dominic mocking us for not using our keyboard to get him going someplace?
    Chuck most likely means that you move the mouse in the direction that you want Guybrush to walk (through direct input control). I could be wrong, though.
  • edited July 2009
    You can use the mouse to move Guybrush around; I just said it's not point-and-click. Just playing the game will give you a better idea of how it works than I can explain it, but basically: you drag the mouse to make Guybrush move in a direction.

I was really surprised by how natural it feels; I'd done a quick-and-dirty prototype that I'd figured would be okay in a pinch until we could come up with something better. Then Robert came in and made a version that feels completely natural and intuitive. Everybody's going to have his own opinion of it, of course, but I played a traditional point-and-click game afterward and it felt kind of clumsy in comparison.

And it builds on the Wallace & Gromit system, so you can still use the keyboard to make the character walk around if you prefer.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    np: Mr Scruff & Quantic - Donkey Ride (You Don't Know Ninja Cuts (Disc 1))

nice. love scruff. "Ahoy There!" is awesome. do you know "The Avalanches"?
  • edited July 2009
    And it builds on the Wallace & Gromit system, so you can still use the keyboard to make the character walk around if you prefer.

What is being done with the mouse, more precisely, is it possible to switch between "hotspots" W&G-style? Even more precisely: how big are the chances to map the keys to gamepad buttons and the mouse to analog stick and not get all mad about it? :D

edit: citing Cauldron2 as an example for bad controls is a little odd. Unlike the first game, you're supposed to play a bumpin' pumpkin! Which Palace got spot on, decades before any kind of Havoc Physics or anything. I mean sure, it's an 80s game, little sluggish and all. That the game got all the harder because of it, now that's another story. :D If you want an example of bad controls, go to Floyd that requires you to do about sixty-three clicks for even the most minor of actions and doesn't have the benefit of being able to hind behind a whole lotta cobwebs or Dragons Lair if you're into bashing decades old games.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009

Will the Monkey Island mouse controls be ported to Wallace and Gromit Season 1?
    I mean, if they work well in Monkey Island, i might even buy W&G then.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.