Control Scheme?

Yeah the news is outta this world, but before i can preorder, i gotta know, is this bad Wallace & Gromit controls?

Or Good Sam & Max control scheme?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I have to agree...I want to play MI with a mouse. I liked MI4 (my least favorite), but I missed controlling the game with the mouse.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, THAT dark cloud does loom over the horizon...

That and the "get three things to proceed to next puzzle" one...

Unfortunately, after staring mindlessly at Telltale's front page for 5 minutes and before being able to regain control of myself, I pre-ordered the game...

Oh, well. I'm sure we'll be alright.
  • edited June 2009
    I think Mi 4 was unplayable without mouse. Its the same as with sam n max season3, if there is no maus support i wont buy it
  • edited June 2009
    While I am excited about MI, I do have to agree... MI needs a good control scheme for PC. The same used in W&G wont do, unless the environment rotates with the keyboard movement which I doubt it does.

Please Telltale, better controls or ideally just Sam & Max style controls.

Telltale, please say something encouraging to this... I want to pre-order already!
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah you are right with the 3 things to proceed to next puzzle also, that has so gotta go in all their games, and be totally random.

hope we get some replys soon :)
  • edited June 2009
    Well the game is going to be on wiiware, so I think mouse control to be very likely (by contrast Wallace and Gromit is on XBLA which might explain the weirder controls).

On an unrelated note, I haven't seen any mentions to insult fighting anywhere yet! If there isn't at least one per episode I'll be disappointed :(
  • edited June 2009
    I think pretty much everyone is hoping for mouse controls. It is the most intuitive way of playing adventure games.
  • edited June 2009
    This HAS to have mouse controls. C'mon, it's Monkey Island!
  • edited June 2009
    Considering it's WiiWare... I'm betting on mouse controls.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    On an unrelated note, I haven't seen any mentions to insult fighting anywhere yet! If there isn't at least one per episode I'll be disappointed :(

One per episode? That's crazy talk! Imagine EVERY SINGLE act in EVERY SINGLE Monkey Island game having insult fighting.
  • edited June 2009
    It will be controlled using the mouse/wii pointer according to gamespot (5th paragraph)

(ToMI first look article on gamespot)
  • edited June 2009
    If there are keyboard controls, I will cry like a little boy who's just skinned his knee. Seriously. Telltale guys, you are great, but the control scheme in W&G sucks. I know you had to make the best of a bad situation... but if MI comes in with keyboard controls, I will cry. And I may not buy, more to the point.
  • edited June 2009
    Would also like to hear a definite answer on mouse/keyboard control. Had to skip W&G because of the retarded control scheme and I'm really hoping I won't be forced to skip ToMI.
  • edited June 2009
    Seeing as tmsmyth4 just posted a link to an article saying that it would be controlled by the mouse and Wii-mote I think it's a safe bet that it won't be keyboard controls. And again, take a look at W&G. It's for the XBox 360 and not Wiiware (360 doesn't have a Wii-mote or a mouse so they utilized the d-pad, which unfortunately meant keyboard for PC users). Look at Sam & Max and SBCG4AP. They use traditional Wii-mote and mouse. ToMI will be on PC and Wiiware so I think it's a safe bet it will be mouse-oriented.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm happy with any control scheme. I adapt.

I'm essentially Darwin's theory in Videogame control terms.
  • edited June 2009
    Seeing as tmsmyth4 just posted a link to an article saying that it would be controlled by the mouse and Wii-mote I think it's a safe bet that it won't be keyboard controls. And again, take a look at W&G. It's for the XBox 360 and not Wiiware (360 doesn't have a Wii-mote or a mouse so they utilized the d-pad, which unfortunately meant keyboard for PC users). Look at Sam & Max and SBCG4AP. They use traditional Wii-mote and mouse. ToMI will be on PC and Wiiware so I think it's a safe bet it will be mouse-oriented.

Sounds logical, now if I could hear someone from Telltale to confirm the controls so I can preorder :)
  • edited June 2009
    After the criticism of the EMI control system, im sure Telltalle realise we all want pointnclick MI. Somehow I dont see them taking the risk. Plus, it looks like gamespot have played the opening to the game. Thats confirmation for me, time to go out and buy a mouse for my laptop :)
  • edited June 2009
    Gamespot reads the following:
    explored using the Nunchuk and pointer on the Wii or the keyboard and mouse if you're playing on the PC.
    Which I guess means it's going to be the Wallace & Gromit control scheme.
  • edited June 2009
    Gamespot reads the following:
    explored using the Nunchuk and pointer on the Wii or the keyboard and mouse if you're playing on the PC.
    Which I guess means it's going to be the Wallace & Gromit control scheme.

Argh, please no.
  • edited June 2009
    Oh...drat. Well there goes my theory. But it does say Nunchuk AND Wii pointer as well as keyboard AND mouse. Maybe the controls are interchangeable?
  • edited June 2009
    It would almost have to be. There's no mouse functionality in W&G, is there?
  • edited June 2009
    I only played the xbox version+ just found out W&G on PC uses both mouse and keyboard. Sam and Max controls wouldnt need the nunchuck or keyboard so I assume gamspot were talking about W&G controls for ToMI
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, there is.

So this game will also use that control scheme where you can click items with your mouse but have to move the character using the keyboard.

Well, this SUCKS! So incredibly much! It feels like my favourite series is being vandalized now, damn.

This sucks so much that I wish someone else would've licensed Monkey Island and made the games. Seriously. Gah.
  • edited June 2009
    please let it be point-click
  • edited June 2009
    Would still like to hear an official word on the control scheme. But if TT's going with W&G's idiotic scheme, well, thanks for nothing.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Hakobus wrote: »
    Would also like to hear a definite answer on mouse/keyboard control. Had to skip W&G because of the retarded control scheme and I'm really hoping I won't be forced to skip ToMI.

I don't think anyone's forcing you to do anything. You're stubbornness is forcing you to miss out on quality games. I'd recommend picking up the W&G series on XBLA if you can't stand the keyboard controls. But since you can't handle WASD, I'm guessing you don't own a 360.

Even if you don't like the control method, it's not like the game isn't playable. I don't like quicktime events, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna boycot a game that uses them.

And when it comes down to the Wallace and Gromit games, you should at least pick up episode 1 or 2. Gamers complain about stuff all the time, but find that by the end of the episode, they've forgotten that they were griping in the first place. People didn't like the new voices for Sam, Max, and Wallace when they first heard them. A lot of people now prefer the new Sam and Max voices.

Change isn't always bad man. Give it a shot.
  • edited June 2009
    So there we have it then. Confirmed.

Meh!
  • edited June 2009
    I don't mind the W&G PC controls, they are simple enough...

However, I never managed to complete Grim Fandango or MI4 because I just couldn't get a hang of the controls (character relative, rather than camera relative)... I couldn't find the hotspots!
  • edited June 2009
    jeez... i tried W&G just a minute ago. The controls are (imho) just bad. Why in hell do I have to move the char with the keyboard if he is walking alone when i click on an object? It just feels stiff and unnecessary.

well here are my two cents:
    adventure games need a focus on puzzles. this focus is aided by easy controls. easy as possible. so why the need of 4 directional buttons plus mouse if mouse only does the trick friggin well. (as proofed by S&M, SBCG4AP)
    I am hereby politly asking you to implement mouse only control as additional method for the purists.
  • edited June 2009
    NickTTG wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's forcing you to do anything. You're stubbornness is forcing you to miss out on quality games. I'd recommend picking up the W&G series on XBLA if you can't stand the keyboard controls. But since you can't handle WASD, I'm guessing you don't own a 360.

Even if you don't like the control method, it's not like the game isn't playable. I don't like quicktime events, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna boycot a game that uses them.

And when it comes down to the Wallace and Gromit games, you should at least pick up episode 1 or 2. Gamers complain about stuff all the time, but find that by the end of the episode, they've forgotten that they were griping in the first place. People didn't like the new voices for Sam, Max, and Wallace when they first heard them. A lot of people now prefer the new Sam and Max voices.

So explain, how exactly is having to walk around with keyboard AND mouse an improvement over having to walk around with just the mouse?
  • edited June 2009
    Let me guess - so you can have more cinematic scenes.
    Which the previous Monkey Island games did brilliantly without - I never heard a single complaint about the previous games lacking cinematic scenes because of point and click controls.
    edited June 2009
    Phoenix wrote: »
    So explain, how exactly is having to walk around with keyboard AND mouse an improvement over having to walk around with just the mouse?

All of the dev teams reasons have been thoroughly discussed on the forums. I feel like a broken record. In order to preserve sanity and an organized forum, here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7966
  • edited June 2009
    Gamers complain about stuff all the time, but find that by the end of the episode, they've forgotten that they were griping in the first place.

You may be a bit too optimistic here. I had my dose of keyboard control shock with Grim Fandango, so I wasn't too horrified with Wallace and Gromit. And I think the controls, once keyboard based, are quite good. And I do believe the control scheme adds to the immersion. And I also buy into the camera angles argument, to an extent. Still - I'd prefer to have a fully mouse controlled W&G. Why? Because point-and-click is so damn convenient :)
  • edited June 2009

I have played both W&G games, and navigating is really the biggest problem. My main problem is that the directions do not stay consistent between scenes and the camera doesn't really follow the character. WASD works when camera follows (Tomb Raider and 3d person shooters). It does immerse when the world is free to look at different angles, but in Telltale Games camera is locked.

I really love your games mouse only controls in Sam and Max. Making things more complicated (requiring two hands instead of one) to control isn't the right way. Especially as I do not feel I get anything in return of this trade-off.

I hope you continue making great games, but please keep rethinking/refining on the PC side of controls, if old mouse only is not an option.
  • edited June 2009
    All of the dev teams reasons have been thoroughly discussed on the forums. I feel like a broken record. In order to preserve sanity and an organized forum, here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7966
    Yeah, but that thread - though started as a feedback thread - was more a thread for the developers to defend the new control system. Criticism towards the controls wasn't really acknowledged, but more reacted to with counter-arguments...

Technically: "Well, do you like the new control scheme? :) ... Oh, you don't? :confused: ... Well, screw you, we're doing it anyway! :mad:"

Not THAT much of a discussion. ;)
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, but that thread - though started as a feedback thread - was more a thread for the developers to defend the new control system. Criticism towards the controls wasn't really acknowledged, but more reacted to with counter-arguments...

I think people were just explaining to you guys why certain decisions were made. We definitely collected everyone's feedback. I'm sorry if you didn't get the response you were looking for.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm sorry if you didn't get the response you were looking for.

Have you moved into PR Nick? :p Due to current market place realities a new control system must be implemented... :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2009
    Anyway, I'm not a fan of putting style over gameplay.
    Even if the game will look a bit more 'cinematic', which I could understand to a degree with W&G since it was based on that license... in Monkey Island, it's absolutely not worth it.

I really do think gameplay suffers from this.
  • edited June 2009
    Well might it be possible ot get btt?
    W&G is a great game and kudos for making it but this is the MI forum!

Might it be possible to get mouse only input as an additional input method?
    I love to lean back and just explore everything one handed.
    "The more rules a game has the less fun it is" somebody once told me. I would like to compare this not always true statement to cotrols. The easier the better.

And please sir NickTTG stop taking it so Personal. We love TTG and just want to make good games even better. It is true many of us are just "clingy complaining dipshits" but try to look in to our more valid points.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.