The adventure begins... at E3!

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited July 2009 in Private Pirates Club
This week, several members of our team will be at E3 showing off Tales of Monkey Island, giving interviews, and subsisting on candy bars from the vending machine when the lunch lines turn out to be too long having a grand old time. And as a Tales of Monkey Island preorderer, we're going to let you in on the joys of being at E3 -- just like you were here with us!

Not sure what the web access will be like at the show, but we'll try to check in each day and let you guys know how it's going and where to look for Tales of Monkey Island coverage. I'll kick it off by saying that after a mostly uneventful flight, I arrived in LA and checked in to the hotel to find six boxes of Tales of Monkey Island buttons waiting for me. And that's only half the stash! The rest will be arriving tomorrow. We'll be handing them out at the show - hopefully in an amusing fashion. Watch later this week for pictures. 'Til then, here's a shot of the buttons, to tide you over...

monkey_buttons.jpg

I'm off to find some lunch (fully recognizing that this could be my last real meal for a week), then heading to the convention center to get our booth set up. First interview's tonight, with Adventure Gamers, then the show officially opens tomorrow!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Have fun! Rest up! We'll be looking forward to your updates.
  • edited June 2009
    nice... can't wait for more updates =)
    enjoy the trip.
  • edited June 2009
    I want these buttons! You have to make them available at the TT store...
  • edited June 2009
    axelkothe wrote: »
    I want these buttons! You have to make them available at the TT store...

http://store.lucasarts.com/catalog/category.xml?category_id=1301488

They have buttons! T-shirts and Posters!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Are those buttons laying on my curtains from Linens and Things?
    riyadc wrote: »

Did LucasArts get a new president or something? Those aren't Star Wars things, but yet there they are on the site. It makes my head swim. How soon till the apocalypse?
  • edited June 2009
    Meh I don't like those things, the t-shirt looks cheap (and I'm not too fond on their take on Guybrush.... especially his hair), and I would NEVER have their cover poster on the wall when I can have the one Steve Purcell made

That said... I hope we get some fine Monkey Island merchandise in the Telltale store :D (T-shirts!)

And wow Emily, I hope there's a way for us to get some of those buttons too! I can't believe you actually have a "Ask me about" button :D
  • edited June 2009
    This is AMAZING. Thank you Telltale for bringing more Monkey Island :)

Especially with Dave Grossman et al involved.

I think the look of this is great. Far better than the last two games (although I enjoyed them both). I think that this will have the 'feel' of the original games that I grew up with.

Thank you!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    /sigh, didn't miss E3 until this post.

Been away since they had that little issue with too many Gamestop Employees, I wasn't one of them, but I was just as into the swag. I have a friend going this year, I'll text him to look out for you.

-A.
  • edited June 2009
    hmmm... I like Monkey Island things but I really don't want to give LucasArts money...

If only it was Telltale was selling these things instead!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Are those buttons laying on my curtains from Linens and Things?

Haha, no they're laying on the hotel bedspread. But it's a close match.
  • edited June 2009
    I am really looking forward to seeing you guys at Comic-Con next month now.

Also, is it not time to put the LucasArts hatred behind us? Kudos to them for allowing such an awesome thing to take place.
  • edited June 2009
    Those buttons are simply awesome...

The Lucas-arts store ones do not even play in the same league....

I want one full set.... now.... please.....please please....
  • edited June 2009
    I kinda want that "Ask me about Tales of Monkey Island"-button. It's a nice reference to the "Ask me about Loom" and "Ask me about Grim Fandango"-buttons from MI1 and CMI, resprectively.
  • edited June 2009
    Pleeeeeeeeease have those buttons available at PAX. I wanna buy the whole set! And who's the Marquis? Is that a new character? And is he actually period?
  • edited June 2009
    The "Ask me about Tales of Monkey Island" button is pure gold and I want seven.
  • xtrmntrxtrmntr Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Not nearly as exciting as these buttons, but if you load any of Telltale's *other* games up over the next week or so, you'll see a big Monkey Island advertisement featuring the same art.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    For the record, I was doing some product support on Homestar Ruiner and saw the Monkey ads in the wrapper and it WAS exciting. Hah!
  • edited June 2009
    Instant pre-order. I will be getting this on both PC and console. I mean, come on. It's Monkey Island.

Great get, fellas.
  • edited June 2009
    Probably the quickest (pre)-order I've ever done. :P
    You guys should ship a fake code wheel with the pre-order DVD. Ah, the good old days when DRM's were made out of paper.
  • edited June 2009
    Ooooh man...please please make a S&M-esque Case File and include that "Ask me about Monkey Island" button.

Please?
  • edited June 2009

I don't want people asking me about Grim Fandango Monkey Island. :)
    edited June 2009
    Did LucasArts get a new president or something?

They did, actually. His name is Darrell Rodriguez, and he's a big Monkey Island fan. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Well, if he's the one responsible for allowing Telltale to license Monkey Island, and also for green-lighting the remake, then he's a good man in my book. Could this be a sign that - gasp! - Lucasarts once more cares about it's classic (and best) properties?

Whatever the case may be, if I were to entrust the future of a much loved classic franchise to anyone, it'd be to you guys/girls at Telltale Games - I can't think of a a more capable crew of scurvy, no-good, grog-addled, filthy, thieving, sneaky, cut throat pirate lowlifes!

Hm. Perhaps my "pirate lingo" didn't quite work out to be the complement I meant it to be... ;)
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't even read about the extras in the pre-order. I remember seeing the words Monkey Island, Telltale, and Pre-order and the next thing I can remember is breathing heavily looking at the post orderiong screen.
  • edited June 2009
    This is awesome guys. I've been waiting years. I'm completely shocked and thrilled. You've made my year.
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    They did, actually. His name is Darrell Rodriguez, and he's a big Monkey Island fan. :)

I have to hand it to LucasArts it was getting pretty bleak there for a few years.. Hoorah for Rodriguez.. and Telltale of course. Looking forward to the E3 posts
  • edited June 2009
    Hi fellow private pirates :)

I love those buttons, especially the "Ask me" one. I think the evolution shirt was funny too but it didn't explain where the 3-headed monkey fits in ;)

I'm in a total MI media blitz today since finding out the news and am ecstatic! I was happy a few days ago when I saw Telltale re-upped the "Summer of Sam & Max" but apparently they'll be sharing the summer with a few monkeys too. Hopefully Max plays nice with them.

Looking forward to more E3 news, thanks again Telltale :)
  • edited June 2009
    Just checked it wasn't a dream, thanks Telltale, Pre-order done, and I'd be willing to bet that this will be your most popular game on the pre-order front, congrats guys!
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    Well, if he's the one responsible for allowing Telltale to license Monkey Island, and also for green-lighting the remake, then he's a good man in my book. Could this be a sign that - gasp! - Lucasarts once more cares about it's classic (and best) properties?

It also appears that SMI:SE will be LucasArts first foray into PC Digital Downloads. I'll be curious to see if they will piggy back of Telltales setup, build their own or use Steam.
  • edited June 2009

oh my god, thanks for the link. I just ordered the poster and two shirts (one for hubby, one for me). the international shipping is outrageous, but oh well.

MONKEY IS BACK, BABY!
  • edited June 2009
    i love you guys (even if this is not what a pirate would say)!!
    i've been waiting too many years for a new monkey island game.
    i read monkey island then preorder, and immediately got my visa.

i be a pirate!
    and i want this treasure!
  • edited June 2009
    seriously who had the most oragasmic feeling when they read about this

i did
  • edited June 2009
    tarasis wrote: »
    It also appears that SMI:SE will be LucasArts first foray into PC Digital Downloads. I'll be curious to see if they will piggy back of Telltales setup, build their own or use Steam.
    I hope they end up on Steam at some point. I Must Have That Game (tm), but I'd be hesitant about getting it from an inexperienced publisher...
  • edited June 2009
    I want those pins!!! :)

And I think that "Tales of the Tentacle" can be also a nice idea... :D
  • edited June 2009
    request for a 'case file' with that 'Ask me about Monkey Island' pin thirded or fourthed.
  • BasBas
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, definitely make thoses "Ask me about Monkey Island" buttons available to us somehow. Man, they're awesome.
    edited June 2009
    We had a great meeting with Dante from Adventure Gamers last night. Here's his preview: http://adventuregamers.com/article/id,1024

After that, Kevin, Dave, and Lindsay (our office manager who's experiencing her first ever E3) went out to a really weird Japanese dinner. I might post a picture of it if my stomach ever recovers.

Up today: Mixnmojo interview at the hotel, then rush over to the convention center where we meet with press back to back to back. We'll also have Day 1 of our rent-a-pirates handing out buttons and making a general commotion near the front entrance of West Hall. I'm hoping they'll do some live action Insult Swordfighting. :D Pictures to come whenever we can get online to post them!
  • edited June 2009
    Paine wrote: »
    Ooooh man...please please make a S&M-esque Case File and include that "Ask me about Monkey Island" button.

Please?
    Goes well with my avatar & title :D
  • edited June 2009
    Yay, just saw this today, and im totally geeking out here. Already preordered MI5 from you, and ordered the poster and the evolution T-shirt from the lucasarts store.
    PLEASE tell me you guys are gonna do a Purcell poster too, i would love to have it hanging next to my MI2 and MI3 posters (yep, old fan, managed to convince some store owners to give me their promotional posters when they took them down)
  • edited June 2009
    You guys should include a T-Shirt or any other good surprise to the pre-ordered packaging :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.