The adventure begins... at E3!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    After someone else suggested it, all I keep seeing in this picture is Dave Grossman performing some kind of feat of strength like this:
    a8.jpg

Thanks. Now I can't stop imagining Tim Schafer all oiled up and lumpy in an Andre the Giant costume. (Not that he's as lumpy as Andre the Giant was. Um, I love you Tim! Really!)
    Hey, does the Marquis de Singe remind anyone else of Dave Grossman? I don't know, seeing him in that Gamespot video with Mike Stemmle, Grossman is like, this close to the Marquis. Marquis d' Horloge perhaps?
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Wow, is Tim really, really tall or is Dave really, really short? For some reason, I always thought it would be the other way around...

EDIT: Now that I look at it again, it looks like Dave is lifting Tim with his right arm. Amazing!

Tim is a fairly ordinary size, though I think in that picture he might be wearing some kind of towering Gene Simmons rock-and-roll uberboots. They make you do some weird stuff at E3 to promote your game (I don't even want to talk about Day of the Tentacle).

I, on the other hand, am indeed fairly small - less than five and a half feet from stem to stern. But I'm much larger on the inside. I'm like the Tardis of game design.
  • edited June 2009
    (I don't even want to talk about Day of the Tentacle)

You can't say stuff like that and not explain it!
    edited June 2009
    fire2box wrote: »
    They don't say if Murray the talking skull is in the game, yet they say LeChuck turns into a human. WTH?

Really, which is the bigger spoiler?

I generally don't mind spoiling something that happens in the first five minutes of the series. Where it goes from there is what's interesting.
    edited June 2009
    You can't say stuff like that and not explain it!

Well, there was this bucket of "tentacle slime," made out of who knows what, and we had to... no, I'm sorry, it's too painful, my therapist wouldn't want me to go on.
  • edited June 2009
    Just reading through the inside jokes page of MI3 and had to chuckle at the Grim Fandango one, as it is a button saying "Ask me about Grim Fandango", like the buttons of the Telltale crew say "Ask me about Monkey Island" ;)

http://www.worldofmi.com/features/trivia/injokes.php?game=MI3&s=1

It was completely misunderstood in the french version with a "Demandez-moi tout sur le fandango" (Ask me everything about the fandango"... When Grim Fandango was available, I had never done the link...
  • edited June 2009
    They make you do some weird stuff at E3 to promote your game (I don't even want to talk about Day of the Tentacle).

Oh my. Some people here have quite vivid imaginations, you know :eek:

Honestly, though. I'm reading this in the morning, and it was a well needed hearty laugh :)
  • edited June 2009
    Well, there was this bucket of "tentacle slime," made out of who knows what, and we had to... no, I'm sorry, it's too painful, my therapist wouldn't want me to go on.

Did they have to order that specially from Japan? (Kids, if you're looking at Sailor Moon fanart, and some if it is labeled "NSFW" just back away slowly. Trust me.)
    Therapy, it does a psyche good.
  • edited June 2009
    I, on the other hand, am indeed fairly small - less than five and a half feet from stem to stern. But I'm much larger on the inside. I'm like the Tardis of game design.

See, I don't think of less than five and half feet tall as "fairly small", seeing how I'm just an inch and half over five feet, you giant. Besides, the best things come in small packages; diamonds, cell phones, Max, dynamite, etc.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm like the Tardis of game design.

Is that why you haven't seemed to age in all these years? Is your Chameleon Circuit broken?
  • edited June 2009
    But I'm much larger on the inside. I'm like the Tardis of game design.

You're not sneakily hinting at this little thing, are you?

http://mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=3432&category=telltale
  • edited June 2009
    esteban wrote: »
    It was completely misunderstood in the french version with a "Demandez-moi tout sur le fandango" (Ask me everything about the fandango"... When Grim Fandango was available, I had never done the link...
    Actually, it was "le fandango noir", the black fandango, but black can also have the grim sense, so it could have been a potential french title for the game, even though it wasn't.
    edited June 2009
    Is that why you haven't seemed to age in all these years? Is your Chameleon Circuit broken?

Dick Clark painted a portrait of me, which is aging in my place. It's not pretty.

I was out with Emily and Lindsay one night during E3, and we all got carded. Once upon a time that was annoying, now it's a compliment.
  • edited June 2009
    Don't know if anybody posted it but >here< you can see a 14 min interview and gameplayvideo, but if you don't want to see anything of the game before playing you should not watch it

Wow those are extraordinarily long questions. Though I am happy to see inventory combining back, there are a few moments in Strongbad in particular where I was getting extraordinarily confused as I wanted to use things I had on other things.:)
  • edited June 2009
    Lets not forget about those buttons....
  • edited June 2009
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    You're not sneakily hinting at this little thing, are you?

http://mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=3432&category=telltale

I would very play that.

Edit: Now that I think about it, they've already given a big nod to The Doctor with "Chariots of the Dogs" haven't they?
  • edited June 2009
    A Telltale Doctor Who game? Sign me up! :D

Hope theres more fact then rumor to that.
  • edited June 2009
    Laserkid wrote: »
    A Telltale Doctor Who game? Sign me up! :D

Hope theres more fact then rumor to that.

Seconded! That'd be awesome, especially if it was point and click only. Get in touch with the BBC and make this happen. Any living Doctor is fine with me, but it might be nice to give the 6th Doctor a chance to redeem himself some more the way the Big Finish audioplays have.

Doctor Who just screams episodic adventure...I'm not sure why.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    How did the people react when you announced ToMI? Were they excited?

People were very excited! Everyone I met with at E3 was twitching to some extent. (And not just because we were at a video game show.)

Okay, there was one guy who, when I asked if he'd ever played Monkey Island, replied, "I think my brother played part of one of them, and I might have watched him, once."

But everyone else was super stoked. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    People were very excited! Everyone I met with at E3 was twitching to some extent. (And not just because we were at a video game show.)

Okay, there was one guy who, when I asked if he'd ever played Monkey Island, replied, "I think my brother played part of one of them, and I might have watched him, once."

I think I would have kissed your feet if I had been there.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I think I would have kissed your feet if I had been there.

Clearly you've never been to E3. No amount of money in the world would get me to kiss the feet of someone who has been walking around the convention center floor for 3 days.
    edited June 2009
    How did the people react when you announced ToMI? Were they excited? Or, did most of them try to figure out what the hell that means...?
    Emily wrote: »

Emily and I were showing the game to some folks in a semi-public area, and a guy walked by behind us who hadn't seen the announcement yet, and he saw the desktop of the laptop that said "Tales of Monkey Island" on it. He stopped and stared, and then the dialog went something like this:

GUY: Is that a new Monkey Island game?
    ME: Yep!
    GUY: No!
    ME: Yes, it is.
    GUY: You're kidding!
    ME: Nope, not kidding. New monkeys!
    GUY: No way, you're kidding me!
    ME: No, I'm not. We're making a Monkey Island series. We're demoing it right now.
    GUY: Really?
    ME: Yes.
    GUY: It's not a put-on?
    ME: Nope, it's a Monkey Island series.
    GUY: Wow, that's great!
    (Exit Guy.)
  • edited June 2009
    Hee-hee-hee!
    My brother didn't believe me at first. He thought I was pulling a prank on him. Then I showed him some gameplay and he said something like: "Finally! What took them so long?!"
    I bet the feeling that you guys felt was undescribeable. Oh, I wish I could've been there!
  • edited June 2009
    Hee-hee-hee!
    My brother didn't believe me at first. He thought I was pulling a prank on him. Then I showed him some gameplay and he said something like: "Finally! What took them so long?!"
    I bet the feeling that you guys felt was undescribeable. Oh, I wish I could've been there!

My brother reacted like your one:

Me: DUDE! A new Monkey Island game was just announced!
    Brother: No way, dude...
    Me: Way
    Brother: ...:eek:
    Me: Come look at the computer
    Brother: Oh me geeaod (in the true pronouncement of Cartman)

And his been Cartman-ish since that moment, I'm so proud of him. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Emily and I were showing the game to some folks in a semi-public area, and a guy walked by behind us who hadn't seen the announcement yet, and he saw the desktop of the laptop that said "Tales of Monkey Island" on it. He stopped and stared, and then the dialog went something like this:

GUY: Is that a new Monkey Island game?
    ME: Yep!
    GUY: No!
    ME: Yes, it is.
    GUY: You're kidding!
    ME: Nope, not kidding. New monkeys!
    GUY: No way, you're kidding me!
    ME: No, I'm not. We're making a Monkey Island series. We're demoing it right now.
    GUY: It's not a put-on?
    ME: Nope, it's a Monkey Island series.
    GUY: Wow, that's great!
    (Exit Guy.)

LOL! :D Awesomely memorable moment!
  • edited June 2009
    Sheepbrush wrote: »
    I'm so proud of him. :D

I'm proud of my little brother too! Now, he sits quietly in a corner, drooling and mumbling from time to time "July 7th"... Waiting is not one of his virtues.
  • edited June 2009
    Lol, I got all excited because I thought it was being released on June 7th. I was very disappointed that day. XD
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Here's some of the press that came out of our E3 adventure:

GameSpy
    GamePro
    Wired Blog
    Destructoid
    G4 Preview | G4 Mike Stemmle Interview | G4 Video
    Kotaku
    Joystiq
    IGN Preview | IGN Mike Stemmle Interview

I have a few other pictures on my camera, too, haven't had a chance to upload them yet...
  • edited June 2009
    That first pirate Guybrush talks to in that G4-video (not counting the one behind the door), is that the voice of Harry from the Sam & Max-games?
  • edited June 2009
    I was talking to me mate ricky C.. talking about the special edition MI.. and i go hopefully this means MI5 will be released quickly... i google mi5 just as i would every 2 - 3 months.. and there was the orgasmic feeling.. blood rush... everything

WO WA WE WA

Me: Bro NEW MONKEY ISLAND IS COMING OUT
    brother: cool. when
    me: july 7
    end convo
  • edited June 2009
    Lol, I got all excited because I thought it was being released on June 7th. I was very disappointed that day. XD

Same was my brother.

Bro: WHERE IS IT??
    Me: What?
    Bro: Monkey Island! It's the 7th of June!
    Me: And?
    Bro: You promised that you'll get it! Where is it?
    Me: Dude, relax, they release it on the 7th of JULY.
    Bro: OH!...Oh....oh....ok
  • edited June 2009
    lol, glad I got the correct date in my head from the start :p
  • edited June 2009
    riyadc wrote: »

Unfortunately, LucasArts' designers working on Guybrush seem to be terminally in a bad stoned experience. :-(

Telltale should put "Home of the real Monkey Island developers" under their logo... then again that'd probably lose them the franchise, so maybe bad idea :p

Btw I think the resident-pirate with the black beard on post #61 is Brian Blessed in a time-warp. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Btw I think the resident-pirate with the black beard on post #61 is Brian Blessed in a time-warp. ;)

That was my first thought exactly! In my head I keep hearing him shouting about killing Turks.

I misread the release date as June 7th, and as a result thought I was getting the best birthday gift EVER (mine's the 5th).
  • edited June 2009
    Could you have a Table of Contents on the first post like you did with the Q&A with Dominic Armato?
  • edited June 2009
    Is the cursor in the demo just placeholder?
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, is everyone waiting for this with their brother? After I read the announcement I skyped my brother (we're not currently on the same continent :( ) and told him to check out Telltale's website. He already had it up on his desktop, pointed to the other screen and said, "It's not April Fools." I'm just glad the first game is coming out in July so we can play together while he's here on vacation! It'll be like when we were kids, only since I'm the one who pre-ordered I'll finally be the one holding the mouse bwa ha ha!
  • edited June 2009
    I don't have a brother, but did go insane sharing it with my roomate, and also my best friend.

It was well timed as my roomate is a monkey island newb and I was already in mid education with him (we were about a quarter of the way through CMI at that point) - so pretty much everyone (myself included) were excited as hell. My website had a topic on it on the forums there, so I went and posted the trailer on the frontpage. Yeah...you could say I told everyone I knew. xD
  • edited June 2009
    My brother is actually "educating" is his best friend from uni in the ways of geekery as well. He will hopefully use that free episode code I gave him wisely and well. Spread the love, right?
  • edited June 2009
    My brothers a million miles away in the curséd south, but as soon as I found out he received probably the worlds best text.
    We're loving it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.