The adventure begins... at E3!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    That'll be from Sam & Max: Moai Better Blues, Zomantic.
  • edited June 2009
    That'll be from Sam & Max: Moai Better Blues, Zomantic.

Geez, I know... It was just to point it out. :rolleyes:
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    That's Dave's business card. We each have a Telltale character on the side. Mine is Max making a a cute face (from the part of Reality 2.0 where he says "I'm too young and pretty to die!")
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, is Tim really, really tall or is Dave really, really short? For some reason, I always thought it would be the other way around...

EDIT: Now that I look at it again, it looks like Dave is lifting Tim with his right arm. Amazing!
    edited June 2009
    Wow, is Tim really, really tall or is Dave really, really short?

Little bit of both, I think. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    This week, several members of our team will be at E3 showing off Tales of Monkey Island, giving interviews, and subsisting on candy bars from the vending machine when the lunch lines turn out to be too long having a grand old time. And as a Tales of Monkey Island preorderer, we're going to let you in on the joys of being at E3 -- just like you were here with us!

Not sure what the web access will be like at the show, but we'll try to check in each day and let you guys know how it's going and where to look for Tales of Monkey Island coverage. I'll kick it off by saying that after a mostly uneventful flight, I arrived in LA and checked in to the hotel to find six boxes of Tales of Monkey Island buttons waiting for me. And that's only half the stash! The rest will be arriving tomorrow. We'll be handing them out at the show - hopefully in an amusing fashion. Watch later this week for pictures. 'Til then, here's a shot of the buttons, to tide you over...

monkey_buttons.jpg

I'm off to find some lunch (fully recognizing that this could be my last real meal for a week), then heading to the convention center to get our booth set up. First interview's tonight, with Adventure Gamers, then the show officially opens tomorrow!

What`s about the Buttons... a set of them in every pre-order-box !!!
  • edited June 2009
    Those buttons are niiiiiice....
  • edited June 2009
    *cough*PUT*cough*
    *cough*THEM*cough*
    *cough*IN*cough*
    *cough*THE*cough*
    *cough*DVD*cough*
  • edited June 2009
    *cough*PUT*cough*
    *cough*THEM*cough*
    *cough*IN*cough*
    *cough*THE*cough*
    *cough*DVD*cough*

Put them in the DVD? That seems like it'd hamper the DVD's ability to function properly
  • edited June 2009
    *cough*PUT*cough*
    *cough*THEM*cough*
    *cough*IN*cough*
    *cough*THE*cough*
    *cough*DVD*cough*

I second that!
  • edited June 2009
    LuTHieR wrote: »
    *cough*I second that!*cough*

All fixed.
  • edited June 2009
    Can anyone read who this is?

mi5_mystery_char.jpg

Interesting, he seems to be a major character judging by his place in line on the button...

imprtnt_char.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    All fixed.

• edited June 2009
    SRTiek4k, I believe that to be the man that will occupy this lab and who takes a great interest in Guybrush's
    voodoo hand
    (I really don't think that's a spoiler, but just incase someone is touchy!).
  • edited June 2009
    SRTie4k wrote: »
    Can anyone read who this is?

mi5_mystery_char.jpg

All I can read is: I think H. Marquis De and the last word looks like Grog
  • edited June 2009
    I am excited for this. Definitely worth the preorder. Looked like it was a good time there at E3
  • edited June 2009
    All I can read is: I think H. Marquis De and the last word looks like Grog
    More like "Il Marquis De Sage" instead of "Marquis De Sade"... you know, then one person the S in the other S&M was named after...

Let me guess - crazy scientist person of the season?

np: Justus Köhncke - Was Ist Musik?
  • edited June 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    More like "Il Marquis De Sage"

Yeah I zoomed in and I could tell it was "blank Marquis De blank" so I just sorta squinted my eyes and it looked like a H and the last part looked like Grog... kinda. But yeah he sorta looks like a scientist of some sort.
  • TimTim
    edited June 2009
    ... and it looked like a H and the last part looked like Grog... kinda.

Dear lord, quit the drinkin' in broad daylight will ya! :p

On another note, seriously, buttons + pre-order box = happy faces :D
  • edited June 2009
    Don't know if anybody posted it but >here< you can see a 14 min interview and gameplayvideo, but if you don't want to see anything of the game before playing you should not watch it ;)
  • edited June 2009
    I think he's the Marquis de Singe... a pun on both the Marquis de Sade and the game title (singe means "monkey" in French.)
  • edited June 2009
    Just reading through the inside jokes page of MI3 and had to chuckle at the Grim Fandango one, as it is a button saying "Ask me about Grim Fandango", like the buttons of the Telltale crew say "Ask me about Monkey Island" ;)

http://www.worldofmi.com/features/trivia/injokes.php?game=MI3&s=1
  • edited June 2009
    Just reading through the inside jokes page of MI3 and had to chuckle at the Grim Fandango one, as it is a button saying "Ask me about Grim Fandango", like the buttons of the Telltale crew say "Ask me about Monkey Island" ;)

We may well see an "Ask Me About Sam & Max" button in-game at some point... unless I just ruined the joke prematurely
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    We may well see an "Ask Me About Sam & Max" button in-game at some point... unless I just ruined the joke prematurely

your avatar ruins the day for me
    edited June 2009
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I think he's the Marquis de Singe... a pun on both the Marquis de Sade and the game title (singe means "monkey" in French.)

Yep! You win.
  • edited June 2009

As much as I keep failing in my LucasArts/previous TTG trivia (having messed up "rope sack", forgotten the ending of Loom and the beginning of Escape from Monkey Island, etc.), I think I can firmly say that the "Ask me about..." button came even earlier, having originated in Secret of Monkey Island. Cobb, a character from Loom (there spelled Cob), is sitting at a table in the Scumm Bar with an "Ask me about Loom" button on his shirt. If you do in fact ask him about the game, he gives you a full ad pitch complete with a flashing notice that it's an advertisement.
  • edited June 2009
    Abel wrote: »
    Don't know if anybody posted it but >here< you can see a 14 min interview and gameplayvideo

I can see unicorn figurines on one of those shops (3:15-3:22)! Are the "Do you want to rub my horn"-Jokes from bright side of the moon back?:D
  • edited June 2009
    How did the people react when you announced ToMI? Were they excited? Or, did most of them try to figure out what the hell that means...?
  • edited June 2009
    As much as I keep failing in my LucasArts/previous TTG trivia (having messed up "rope sack", forgotten the ending of Loom and the beginning of Escape from Monkey Island, etc.), I think I can firmly say that the "Ask me about..." button came even earlier, having originated in Secret of Monkey Island. Cobb, a character from Loom (there spelled Cob), is sitting at a table in the Scumm Bar with an "Ask me about Loom" button on his shirt. If you do in fact ask him about the game, he gives you a full ad pitch complete with a flashing notice that it's an advertisement.

Thank god someone finally said it. That's the third time I've seen the pin gag get applied to the Grim Fandango badge, instead of the Loom badge which the GF badge was a reference to. You'd almost think some of these youngsters hadn't played Monkey Island 1, as it was one of the more prominent and memorable jokes of the game. They'll see for themselves by buying the upcoming HD version of it though I hope :)
  • edited June 2009
    Thank god someone finally said it. That's the third time I've seen the pin gag get applied to the Grim Fandango badge, instead of the Loom badge which the GF badge was a reference to. You'd almost think some of these youngsters hadn't played Monkey Island 1, as it was one of the more prominent and memorable jokes of the game. They'll see for themselves by buying the upcoming HD version of it though I hope :)
    I don't know if the age of 28 is considered a "youngster", but at that time I wasn't too much into the computer game world and only snatched off some games from friends that I liked to play. Internet was still considered a rare commodity. I never heard about Monkey Island for years after. The first time I could really enjoy it was with Curse and I'll definately pick up the SE. Hopefully they will do the same to 2, making the switch between original and re-edited version just as seemless.
  • edited June 2009
    I will admit: Telltale--you guys really took the cake at E3 this year. All other announcements seem like pure jokes compared to this. I haven't been this pumped in years about a game!

Now this is/was the kind of stuff that I expect at E3.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know if the age of 28 is considered a "youngster", but at that time I wasn't too much into the computer game world and only snatched off some games from friends that I liked to play. Internet was still considered a rare commodity. I never heard about Monkey Island for years after. The first time I could really enjoy it was with Curse and I'll definately pick up the SE. Hopefully they will do the same to 2, making the switch between original and re-edited version just as seemless.

Wouldn't you have been 9 when The Secret of Monkey Island came out? I think that qualifies as a youngster. Not dissing you; I was 7 at the time myself, and I first saw the game only a year or two ago. Hey, I got to it late, but at least I got to it! Do you think that the secret of monkey island might actually be a weight gain formula for pigs? I mean, he is Guybrush Threepwood after all. (Okay, those last two sentences are a bit obscure, but Goshd@rnit, I'm a third generation Wodehouse fan. I've got to make a Blandings Castle reference!)
  • edited June 2009
    Dionysus wrote: »
    I will admit: Telltale--you guys really took the cake at E3 this year. All other announcements seem like pure jokes compared to this. I haven't been this pumped in years about a game!
    I have nothing to add. After the announcement by Lucasarts/Telltale the rest of the E3 was unimportant. A Monkey Island Game. No actually more games then you can count on one metal-hook this year.
    :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    Tee-Hee! That Secret of Monkey Island IS the fact that they were making ToMI. :p And we didn't know about it.
  • edited June 2009
    Tee-Hee! That Secret of Monkey Island IS the fact that they were making ToMI. :p And we didn't know about it.

Wow, Ron Gilbert really thinks ahead!
  • edited June 2009
    What about a "Blog" on the 'secret' forums? :) Giving us a bit of an insight of how things go at TTG, like how to develop a character from idea to drawing, from drawing to computer, from static computer model to animated interactive figure. Writing the story, how the ideas are involved. You know.. "making-of" stuff, to feed us with regular information the coming month :)

Btw I can't help but to think of Postman Pat with Dave's pictures =)

3593952063_70df388719.jpg?v=0
    pat_350x250.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Postman Pat? Hmm, now that you mention it, Grossman is supposed to have a slight obsession with paperwork ... is that what he was really doing when he was still a freelancer?
  • edited June 2009
    [...]
    3593952063_70df388719.jpg?v=0

After someone else suggested it, all I keep seeing in this picture is Dave Grossman performing some kind of feat of strength like this:
    a8.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    I've never had the chance to go to E3. How did you announce Monkey Island there?
  • edited June 2009
    Abel wrote: »
    Don't know if anybody posted it but >here< you can see a 14 min interview and gameplayvideo, but if you don't want to see anything of the game before playing you should not watch it ;)

Nice, I hadn't seen this. I like the graphic for the inventory UI they show at around the 8:30 mark.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.