Stuff I have laying around

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Are you kidding? That's the second friendliest greeting I've ever seen.

# S: (v) masquerade (pretend to be someone or something that you are not) "he is masquerading as an expert on the internet"; "This silly novel is masquerading as a serious historical treaty"

I do not pretend to be a fan.
  • edited June 2009
    Aw, I was just teasing. I just really think you ought to play it. :)
    Sorry, it just gets on my nerves when people act like that. I'm quite sensitive to such attitudes. Apologies.
  • edited June 2009
    # S: (v) masquerade (pretend to be someone or something that you are not) "he is masquerading as an expert on the internet"; "This silly novel is masquerading as a serious historical treaty"

Really, I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to be mean. Just a playful nudge to find it and play it. Would be a good way to spend the time between now and Tales of Monkey Island's release.
  • edited June 2009

par⋅o⋅dy  /ˈpærədi/ –noun 1. a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing

I was parodying the 'that's the second biggest *insert object* I've ever seen. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2009
    That was the second fastest giveaway I have ever seen! :O

Too bad I didn't know the answer. I have the memory of a fish. :(
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, I was hoping they would revitalize MI2 the same way they did with MI1 (the seemless transition between classic and new version), as I never played that one either, so that I could pick it up after MI1:SE
    I once had a pirated copy of MI1, 1 or 2 years ago or so, but think i wasn't in the adventuring mood and maybe not as attracted to the old graphics as I was back in those days when it was still "top notch" so I didn't really play it. I'll see. Adventure games aren't the only games I play.
  • edited June 2009
    DBrodzinski is me. Should've made my twitter handle match my user account, I was originally dissapointed when I didn't see a "P" anywhere.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow! Congratulations guys!
    Darn it..that was a tough one. I didn't quite made it in time to answer, but I would've mixed them up anyway :p My first guess was snuggle-pumpkin or something like that :D
  • edited June 2009
    I knew answers but in German. Not even my beloved www.dict.cc could translate these names used in the localized MI2. Look at the names and how I tried to translate them: Mäusezähnchen (mouse teeth?), Honigkuchen (honey cake), Schmusebacke (dunno how to tranlsate that one), Zuckerpüppchen (sugar babe), Schnuckelchen (little sweetie). Only Honigkuchen / honey cakes I may have got right, the rest totally wrong. Maybe the next giveaway is really for all fans, not for english natives / english versions only...
  • edited June 2009
    I never win these sort of things so I was pleasantly surprised. :)
  • edited June 2009
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    I knew answers but in German. Not even my beloved www.dict.cc could translate these names used in the localized MI2. Look at the names and how I tried to translate them: Mäusezähnchen (mouse teeth?), Honigkuchen (honey cake), Schmusebacke (dunno how to tranlsate that one), Zuckerpüppchen (sugar babe), Schnuckelchen (little sweetie). Only Honigkuchen / honey cakes I may have got right, the rest totally wrong. Maybe the next giveaway is really for all fans, not for english natives / english versions only...

Sucks that it was English only. =\
  • edited June 2009
    192e69f9e557f51c9192f821859aa0c63c9e3198.jpg
    Someday i will end first...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I'm giving away FIVE Monkey Island badges, to be sent, free of charge, to FIVE loyal monkey island fans. This is one badge per person -- not the entire set (as I don't think a full set survived e3). Perhaps we'll be getting a few full sets on here in a few weeks but as of now, I do not know. (And I will be trying to get these signed by the other members of the team, but it'll be catch as catch can).

Oh I think one complete set survived... and it's mine, all mine!!!!

stinkinbadges.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Oh I think one complete set survived... and it's mine, all mine!!!!
    Badges are interesting of course, but what's that document off to the side with Monkey Island on it? I'm more interested in that right now! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Check Jake subtly leaving other stuff on his desk for the photo. What is that Sam & Max box in the darkness? Looks like Steve Purcell's drawing for the Season 1 cover, but the background isn't the same and there is the Gametap (?) logo in the bottom left. Then under that, a SBCG4AP box... perhaps the one available in the store?
  • edited June 2009
    Looks like the script or something.

Now, I'd gladly take the SBCG4AP DVD off your hands, Jake. xD
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    stinkinbadges.jpg

The Friendly Demon Song and other favourites! I love this Cd.
    edited June 2009
    Badges are interesting of course, but what's that document off to the side with Monkey Island on it? I'm more interested in that right now! :D

Ah it's a printout of a near-final pass of the TMI logo, next to the Special Edition logo. We were doing side-by-side tests to see how they'd look next to each other in LucasArts' E3 promotional materials and stuff. (It was important to LEC that they looked complimentary when you saw them hanging out together.)

logols.jpg

Points to David E for that brilliant Telltale 5th Anniversary logo. I wish we could figure out a place to sneak it in on the site.
  • edited June 2009
    That tagline was a tad too obvious, but ToMI needs a tagline anyway. What were the ones for previous episodes?

LeChuck's Revenge -> He's big. He's bad. He's back.

The Curse of Monkey Island - > The only pirate adventure that asks the question: What's sharper, your sword or your wit?

Escape from Monkey Island - > Aye, 'tis an offbeat adventure of piratey proportions!

I quite like the one in the current ToMI webpage: "Humor, romance & piratey swashbuckling in an all new epic saga". I quite like the words "romance" and "saga"... Don't know if it can be considered a tagline, though.
    edited June 2009
    A tad obvious, or a tad informative? It was something we were going to just use for E3, to explain what was going on (a five part single story, not five small stories like Sam & Max, and not one single game like old MI games). At the end of the day we decided we didn't need it. We'll surely have some sort of tagline at some point :)
  • edited June 2009
    I doubt that anyone at E3 was looking at anything but the words 'Monkey' and 'Island'.
  • edited June 2009
    I was kind of disappointed that neither the Totally Rad Show or CO-OP video podcasts from Revision3 talked about Monkey Island during their E3 episodes.
  • edited June 2009

Dict.cc? Hadn't heard of that one. I always use dict.leo.org, though it wouldn't have given you better translations. Sorry :(

I feel like I need to play the MI games in German one of these days. I really relish the idea of Guybrush calling Elaine "Maeusezaehnchen!" I also got a big kick out of LeChuck's "brennende voodoo Kugel" in CMI. As a native English speaker who speaks conversational German, I really enjoy seeing how things are translated.

Do you know if I'd have to buy German versions of these games, or is it possible to switch languages (at least in the first two) in the options menu or something?

Is it even possible still to get German versions of the games?
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    Do you know if I'd have to buy German versions of these games, or is it possible to switch languages (at least in the first two) in the options menu or something?

The language files are not included so you will have to buy the german versions. But you will find it really hard to get them. Except for EMI maybe.
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    The language files are not included so you will have to buy the german versions. But you will find it really hard to get them. Except for EMI maybe.

I think Amazon is a good way to buy the German versions.
    http://www.amazon.de/THQ-Entertainment-GmbH-Monkey-Collection/dp/B000050FV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1244662342&sr=8-2
    http://www.amazon.de/Flucht-Monkey-Island-Software-Pyramide/dp/B000MMN6QG/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

I know it costs a lot for you but these offers are maybe the best you can get.

And check the last Dominic Armato QA page for the comment Ì've written. There's the German "Monkey in the pocket" - track in it.
  • edited June 2009
    Zomantic wrote: »
    Escape from Monkey Island - > Aye, 'tis an offbeat adventure of piratey proportions!

My copy of Escape from Monkey Island says "Pirates! Adventure! and Monkeys!!"

Not sure if it was a difference between the PC/PS2 versions or what.
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    Dict.cc? Hadn't heard of that one. I always use dict.leo.org, though it wouldn't have given you better translations. Sorry :(

I feel like I need to play the MI games in German one of these days. I really relish the idea of Guybrush calling Elaine "Maeusezaehnchen!" I also got a big kick out of LeChuck's "brennende voodoo Kugel" in CMI. As a native English speaker who speaks conversational German, I really enjoy seeing how things are translated.

Actually the first two had excellent translations. They were done by a guy who really loved those games and did it for the joy of doing it (back then he was a playtester for a german computer games magazine, nowadays he works at the Microsoft games division)
    His name was Boris Schneider!

I was actually suprised by the quality of the translation while he often could not translate the jokes directly he found almost for every joke a very good equivalent.
    The other two were done by professional translation studios, and they did not lack the polish of the first two. They were standard translation tasks, not bad but run of the mill translation with no feeling for the game or the in game jokes. They did not even bother to try to translate the pirate song, they just cut it out.
    It is funny that an amateur does a way better job than the professional translators, but this is a typical german phenomenon. The classical example is Futurama, where the professional translation is hard to swallow (partially with jokes completely wrong translated and without any background knowledge, partially hilarious translation errors) while the fan translations usually are up to the original dialogs!
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    They did not even bother to try to translate the pirate song, they just cut it out.

They started translating, you can even see the translation of door-hinge... Türschaniere. They just had a problem to rhyme it. Without rhymes this song would've sucked.
  • edited June 2009
    I mixed this for a friend, who thought I should throw it here as well
    http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/582/tomicopy.jpg

There's a little "easter egg" included for the clever guys
  • edited June 2009
    Fausk wrote: »
    My copy of Escape from Monkey Island says "Pirates! Adventure! and Monkeys!!"

Not sure if it was a difference between the PC/PS2 versions or what.

'Twas..

I hadn't understood what that tagline was for. Glad to know there will be a proper one... :)
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Actually the first two had excellent translations. They were done by a guy who really loved those games and did it for the joy of doing it (back then he was a playtester for a german computer games magazine, nowadays he works at the Microsoft games division)
    His name was Boris Schneider!

I was actually suprised by the quality of the translation while he often could not translate the jokes directly he found almost for every joke a very good equivalent.
    The other two were done by professional translation studios, and they did not lack the polish of the first two. They were standard translation tasks, not bad but run of the mill translation with no feeling for the game or the in game jokes. They did not even bother to try to translate the pirate song, they just cut it out.
    It is funny that an amateur does a way better job than the professional translators, but this is a typical german phenomenon. The classical example is Futurama, where the professional translation is hard to swallow (partially with jokes completely wrong translated and without any background knowledge, partially hilarious translation errors) while the fan translations usually are up to the original dialogs!

I imagine the pirate song would be very difficult, unless you just wrote a new song entirely.

How close is the translation of the rhyming insult sword fighting?
  • edited June 2009
    I think Amazon is a good way to buy the German versions.
    http://www.amazon.de/THQ-Entertainment-GmbH-Monkey-Collection/dp/B000050FV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1244662342&sr=8-2
    http://www.amazon.de/Flucht-Monkey-Island-Software-Pyramide/dp/B000MMN6QG/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

I know it costs a lot for you but these offers are maybe the best you can get.

And check the last Dominic Armato QA page for the comment Ì've written. There's the German "Monkey in the pocket" - track in it.

Thanks for the links! I'll probably put this idea on hold for now, but I'm sure in the post ToMI hangover, I'll be able to talk myself into buying the German version from somewhere.

Oddly enough, it will probably be something like the 4th or 5th time I purchase MI1 and 2. I got them when they came out, then again in part of those Lucas Arts multi-game packs, then again as a set of two games years later, and it's possible I bought them at some other point, and I'm just forgetting about it. LA got their money's worth out of me.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks also for the monkey in my pocket song. I'm at work right now, but I'm going to try to download it when I get home.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, this worked in getting to subscribe to Telltale's twitter. Any other ones that'd be useful to add?
  • edited June 2009
    This goes kind of far back in the thread, but I thought I should point out that I often call my girlfriend punkydoodle (though I haven't played MI2 in so very many years). When asked where I come up with that, I do my darndest not to get fanboyish.
    I'm sure silly little references crop up everywhere in my life (d'ah! Papapishu!), but I'm glad for your trivia question.
  • edited June 2009
    Aw crap. I missed it. I couldn't get on the computer as I was away shopping. Congratulations to those who won! :D
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Well, this worked in getting to subscribe to Telltale's twitter. Any other ones that'd be useful to add?

Tim Schafer: http://twitter.com/TimofLegend
    Ron Gilbert: http://twitter.com/GrumpyGamer
  • edited June 2009
    Black Nova wrote: »
    I mixed this for a friend, who thought I should throw it here as well
    http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/582/tomicopy.jpg

There's a little "easter egg" included for the clever guys

It's excellent! :)

And the background is just too cute, oh mah gawd!

Fluffy clouds! wee!
  • edited June 2009
    ...pleeeeaaase put on Sale those buttons on the Telltale website before Stan will sell his unhautorized merchandising version of the buttons on Ebay... XD
    Or you can give one free button to all people preordered the game and send to them with the boxed Steve Purcell's cover dvd version !!!! :)

Sorry for my absolutely awful english...
  • edited June 2009
    Pleeeeeease listen to him....
  • edited June 2009
    ...pleeeeaaase put on Sale those buttons on the Telltale website before Stan will sell his unhautorized merchandising version of the buttons on Ebay... XD
    Or you can give one free button to all people preordered the game and send to them with the boxed Steve Purcell's cover dvd version !!!! :)

Sorry for my absolutely awful english...

One problem everyone that preordered will want the same button, the one that says "ask me about monkey island";)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.