The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Cirolmo that's great
  • edited August 2010
    came across this monkey medley in a gta video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEpIjXhrzQ (starts at 0:48)

any idea of the source?
  • edited August 2010
    Mataku wrote: »
    any idea of the source?

Ah! Have that one on one of my phones playlists.
    Sadly, one of few MI remixes on OC:
    http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00799/
  • edited August 2010
    emsketchv2a.jpg
    It's been a while...
  • edited August 2010
    That is incredibly awesome, Jayel.

I doubt this has much to do with fanart, but since it's being discussed, here's my favorite MI remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewC131Jo3-I
  • edited August 2010
    Jayel wrote: »
    [Awesome fan art]
    It's been a while...

Holy moly, Jayel! That's so cool! It's simplistic, but at the same time it's so vibrant. Great work!
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks. It was inspired by Freddy's freakishly long arms from A Nightmare on Elm Street. Elaine's swords acting as extensions to her arms of course. It doesn't come across that well but doesn't really matter. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Some one do something sexy, please...
  • edited August 2010
    My latest project (as I'm on a Drew Struzan trip right now):

nwfinalsm.jpg
    (Click for a slightly bigger version)

Some of the steps (click for big):

nw0th.jpg nw1th.jpg nw2th.jpg nw3th.jpg

First I've created the composition in Photoshop with characters and objects rendered in 3dsmax (and some photos, like the sky and the ocean), which already took quite a while. The next step was basically tracing the image with a pencil, although it sounds more easy than it was. The third image shows the whole thing further down the process, with the pencil drawing color corrected and highlights drawn in as well. I've also added some artificial grain, to fake more detail and blend the pencil lines a bit better. Coloring is mostly based on the initial comp, with a few tweaks. As a finishing touch some brush strokes are overlayed and the credits and logo added.

When I started this project I actually wanted to do a poster for each ToMI-episode, but after realizing how much work it was (even though I did use three finished 3D-characters from my other poster), I still have to think about that :D
  • edited August 2010
    How weird: they all look cross-eyed to me (especially Elaine) but it's the case on the models too...
  • edited August 2010
    That's awesome! More please! :D

PS: Love the "heh" expression on Elaine's face XD
  • edited August 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    How weird: they all look cross-eyed to me (especially Elaine) but it's the case on the models too...

I think that's because the white of the eyes isn't even between both eyes. But that's normal, since the face is round (and the eyes don't lie on the same plane). So, as long as you don't look at a face straight on (and the eyes look directly at you) both eyes would be rotated at slightly different angles.

Or I just messed up, but I don't think so :p
  • edited August 2010
    Laserschwert, you rock. Please make more of those (for the other Tales chapters and MI games). :guybrush::winslow:
  • edited August 2010
    If there was a full set of those (and if I had the wall space for it), I'd absolutely have all five printed up and framed in a row on my wall.

And dammit, now I want a set of the Devil's Playhouse posters too. Considering that I own one poster and one wall scroll and have yet to put either of them up on my walls, there is clearly something wrong with me.
  • edited August 2010
    They don't look cross-eyed at all.
    This is cross-eyed
    sisteragnes.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    I think that's because the white of the eyes isn't even between both eyes. But that's normal, since the face is round (and the eyes don't lie on the same plane). So, as long as you don't look at a face straight on (and the eyes look directly at you) both eyes would be rotated at slightly different angles.

Yeah, which I think is why Elaine was the one that looked really weird (then I looked at the others and they kinda did too). She's facing us, looking at us directly, and still you don't see the white on the right of her left eye. I wonder why that is.
  • edited August 2010
    She's facing us
    Uhm, no she's not, her head is turned to her left...
  • edited August 2010
    Uhm, no she's not, her head is turned to her left...

By like a millimetre? I mean, look at her nose, and face in general, she's pretty much facing us.
    Oh well, maybe I'm seeing things. I shouldn't distract from the fact that your poster is awesome.
  • edited August 2010
    By like a millimetre? I mean, look at her nose, and face in general, she's pretty much facing us.
    Oh well, maybe I'm seeing things. I shouldn't distract from the fact that your poster is awesome.

But still, take her ears as an indication, how much her head is turned.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    My latest project (as I'm on a Drew Struzan trip right now):

First I've created the composition in Photoshop with characters and objects rendered in 3dsmax (and some photos, like the sky and the ocean), which already took quite a while. The next step was basically tracing the image with a pencil, although it sounds more easy than it was. The third image shows the whole thing further down the process, with the pencil drawing color corrected and highlights drawn in as well. I've also added some artificial grain, to fake more detail and blend the pencil lines a bit better. Coloring is mostly based on the initial comp, with a few tweaks. As a finishing touch some brush strokes are overlayed and the credits and logo added.

The composition is really great, the desaturated colors match Struzan's style with ease. He would have gone for warmer colors - still, your deviations from Struzan's style seem well-planned and really successful to me. This is a brilliant start and a great way to expand your skills.

Using the models from the game to trace from is OK for me; I hear Struzan employs quite similar techniques. ;)

The only real weak point is the actual pencil line (and the pencil shadings along with it), probably the part were you just haven't had that much practice. You can really see how much effort it was. And it's best if it doesn't show. If you continue with the Siege of Spinner Cay (and I really, really, really hope you do), try to loosen up your line a little. Try drawing with a greater distance to your paper, try not to stabilize your arm by laying it on the table, lock your wrist with all movement coming from the arm. You might even try to hold your pencil horizontally, not with the "writing grip". It's not a dogma, but it does help getting a nice line flow (also, it's something I really can't get used to ;) ). You'll loose a lot of control initially, but will gain a more determined linework. And Struzan's line is a great and determined statement - always has been.

I just recently aimed for something struzanish myself, and I got totally stuck in the very early stages. So I do know how much work such a single piece is! :D

/edit: OH, and don't forget to buy the new book in September.
  • edited August 2010
    You're right, ever since I saw the recent Drew-DVD (and the book is already pre-ordered ;) ... finally something new after the Oeuvre) I wanted to try my hands on a half-digital workflow that mimics his style. The pencil part is still the hardest to do for me, and I agree that it shows. An artist friend of mine told me the same thing: loosen up your pencil lines, a little "out of control" doesn't hurt. But since I'm drawing these at A4-size, lack of control would probably mess up too much. I was planning on doing the highlights with pencil as well (and inverting them in PS), but I ended up doing those with my tablet in PS. It seems like I'm still too careful with the highlights (and a little lazy, as I didn't do them for the water and the clouds), which is why the grey version is still a little too dark. Furthermore I'm relying too heavily on the colors of the rendered image, instead of painting those myself (which btw. are deliberately cooler... the second chapter wold definitely get a warm tone, as would the last). Still, I'm happy with the result :)

A little closeup:
    57143452.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Seing the neat texture in the bigger image, I'd really recommend making the textures a little bigger next time so that they show on the 787x1181 resolution picture.

Actually, a beginner's mistake would be to overdo the highlights (I might be mistaken, but I think I have read this called "white-happy" in some book). I think that part was neatly done in your poster, but experiments never hurt. ;)

My recent Struzan failure to be found here. I DIDN'T trace it, that was the main problem. ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Since Drew traces, I didn't have a bad feeling about doing it as well :D In his words: "The result is what counts, no matter how you get there".

I think your "failure" doesn't look too bad, it's just missing a lot of dark tones in the pencil work. If you have the dough I really recommend getting Drew's DVD. The best 100 bucks I've spend in ages.
    edited August 2010
    If you have the dough I really recommend getting Drew's DVD. The best 100 bucks I've spend in ages.

I'm not actually sure that I'll still have a job by the end of the year, so 100 bucks is out of the question. I'd rather sell old stuff instead of buying new stuff. :(
  • edited August 2010
    Ah that sucks. Right now I'm looking for a permanent position as well... freelancing is starting to suck.
  • edited August 2010
    HOLY F...!!!

Just when I think you can't get any better, you totally blow my mind! :eek:
  • edited August 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Someone do something sexy, please...

*does creepy dance*
  • edited August 2010
    Laserschwert, Stop it! I'm already disappointed that the Tales of MI DVD Cover didn't use your TOMI Poster and now you're doing something more awesome!
  • edited August 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Laserschwert, Stop it!

Shush, plz. :p Carry on, Laserschwert!
  • edited August 2010
    They don't look cross-eyed at all.
    This is cross-eyed
    sisteragnes.jpg

Ah, it'd been too long since someone posted that.
    edited September 2010
    I dug up the pirate faces thread just recently, and that picture of Silverwolfpet is posted all_over_that_thread. ;)

Laserschwert, how far are you on that Spinner Cay poster? ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Laserschwert, how far are you on that Spinner Cay poster? ;)
    warm_cup_STFU-785776.jpg
    :D
  • edited September 2010
    So your theme is McGillicuty, then?
  • edited September 2010
    Stop teasing me, or I'll make two!
  • edited September 2010
    Stop teasing me, or I'll make two!

Two posters? :p
  • edited September 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    Two posters? :p
    Hey, you got the joke... congrats! ;)
    edited September 2010
    warm_cup_STFU-785776.jpg
    :D

Wwwwwaitttttt... I think that's not even MI Fan art, is it?
    Am I missing something?

:D :D :D
  • edited September 2010
    Mmm, a warm cup of StarWars: The Force Unleashed
  • edited September 2010
    Wtf!?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.