The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Well, there's two things that I'm really looking forward to seeing now - Vainamoinen's version of Fawful's already great Morgan piece, and now the Manatee project from Maxilyah and TheNuclearReactor!

I love how active the Monkey Island fan base is!
  • edited November 2010
    First attempt at drawing Winslow. It was done on iScribble. Probably would have turned out better if I used Adobe Elements or something. Oh well.
    Winslow.png
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Sure. Go ahead. One man's Morgan is another man's gain.

acrylicmorgan.jpg

I'm no Purcell. But the attempt was a good idea. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    acrylicmorgan.jpg

I'm no Purcell. But the attempt was a good idea. ;)

Great job! I like it! :D Done with acrylics?
    edited November 2010
    Acrylics, exactly. Actually, it's mostly 16-year-old Citadel colors. I'm looking forward to X-mas... my Amazon wishlist sports those fancy Liquitex acrylic inks. :D

I'm not that satisfied with it, though. I lifted the right-hand arm a little, lowering the left; I made the clavicles to follow the angle of her raised arms and brought the shoulders a little closer to her head (this happens with raised arms); but the angle of her legs is still too steep to be realistic, the black outlines lack a little character, and the coloring is really nothing more than "first attempt". I have high hopes that James Gurney's next book ("Color and Light") might give me some crucial hints how to remedy this.

I had ideas to actually attempt an acrylic "BTTF"-comic as some kind of "I wonder what happens", but it now seems like this will be done the right way by mathman77 & crew, animated and all. I don't think a comic would still be needed, and I don't want to (and probably couldn't) steal anyone's thunder.
  • edited November 2010
    Have you considered an acrylic Monkey Island comic?
    edited November 2010
    Naaaaah... that's been done a million times. At least digitally. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Acrylics, exactly. Actually, it's mostly 16-year-old Citadel colors.

OMG do you still have Elf Grey? Jade Green? Moody Blue? Titillating Pink? Electric Blue? All the good colours are gone now. >B[ I think it says a lot about the relative quality of Citadel paints when the 16 year-old ones are still good, but the ones you bought two months ago have already dried out...

Also, nice Morgan pic Fawful, and nice recolour Vaina! And a Winslow is fine too.
    edited November 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    OMG do you still have Elf Grey? Jade Green? Moody Blue? Titillating Pink? Electric Blue?

Well... Jade Green I have. :D

jadegreen.jpg

Unfortunately, the intact pot contents do not actually make me happy as the pots themselves are rather infunctional. Almost none of the lids is intact, which makes it incredibly hard to open them without a catastrophic outcome. For me to get anywhere, I absolutely_need new acrylic paints.
  • edited November 2010
    Jade Green! I miss you Jade Green! :( And I spy some blue-cap washes and some black-cap metallics in there too. I miss the coloured metallics.

You make a fair point about the lids though, the problem I always had with those pots is that the lid would inevitably come off, and the paint would build up on the rim making them really hard to open. They're much easier to open now, but I guess that's why they dry out so easily. Also, given the price that the Citadel paints are these days, Liquitex probably works out cheaper anyway given that you get much more paint per pot/tube.
  • edited November 2010
    My acrylic paint was always in tubes, and I only had red-blue-yellow and black-white. That's the only ones we were allowed to work with in my school...
    They wanted us to learn to do everything from scratch before we were allowed to buy other colours.

We also spend half of the first year learning to use compasses and rulers with paint. We had to paint so many parallel lines, and of course if one leaked the whole thing was ruined and we had to start over -_-'

My teachers were very sadistic.
    I still like acrylic the best though. I wish I had learnt how to use oil though. Never stuck that far, I decided to drop out after the end of the first year.
    edited November 2010
    From scratch, eh? They shouldn't have given you black then! :D

But honestly, I'm mad at my art teachers for not actually teaching me art. Two minutes of looking at a decent art instruction book today teaches me more than 13 years of school. Perspective? Passed fleetingly. Color theory? Just the name and not much more. That what we think as "primary colors" is a rather arbitrary definition? I had to turn 32 to find that out. Ouch!
  • edited November 2010
    From scratch, eh? They shouldn't have given you black then! :D

Well, technically we were supposed to make both black AND white ourselves :eek:
    No, wait, we made grey ourselves. Not white. But without any black. I bought the black because it came with the white. Although later I purchased a bigger tube of white which was sold on its own.
    But honestly, I'm mad at my art teachers for not actually teaching me art.

The teachers actually taught me a lot. But the biggest lessons were:

- patience, and starting over again and again. I don't think they ever expected us to be able to complete a work without having to start over at least once. (Here I'm talking about the technical class. Different from the assignments mentioned below).

- humility. Once a week, they'd review everyone's assignment and laugh at our faces and insult us. They when had to defend our work, if we dared. They also made it clear that when they were students (all the teachers were former students from that school) their teachers just tore apart the works they didn't like, and that they wished they were still allowed to do that.

In many ways, that experience reminds me of tales I hear from being in the military or in a dance school or things like that. Not physically, mentally. They were trying to see who would break down and who would grow stronger... Dangerous thing to do I would say, but in the end I got a lot from it, although I believe I could have from less drastic methods.

Learned a lot of anatomy as well. We had nude drawing once a week for two hours, and a different model every single week. Only about five of them over the whole year were male, unfortunately, so I mostly learned to draw females. Very different body types tough, different poses, and while we started the year with 15 minute poses at a time, by the end we had mostly one minute poses so we had to grab the basics of the pose pretty fast.
    edited November 2010
    Well, it DOES remind me a lot of Dogbert's school of hard knocks.
  • edited November 2010
    Avistew wrote: »

The teachers actually taught me a lot. But the biggest lessons were:

- patience, and starting over again and again. I don't think they ever expected us to be able to complete a work without having to start over at least once. (Here I'm talking about the technical class. Different from the assignments mentioned below).

- humility. Once a week, they'd review everyone's assignment and laugh at our faces and insult us. They when had to defend our work, if we dared. They also made it clear that when they were students (all the teachers were former students from that school) their teachers just tore apart the works they didn't like, and that they wished they were still allowed to do that.

In many ways, that experience reminds me of tales I hear from being in the military or in a dance school or things like that. Not physically, mentally. They were trying to see who would break down and who would grow stronger... Dangerous thing to do I would say, but in the end I got a lot from it, although I believe I could have from less drastic methods.

Learned a lot of anatomy as well. We had nude drawing once a week for two hours, and a different model every single week. Only about five of them over the whole year were male, unfortunately, so I mostly learned to draw females. Very different body types tough, different poses, and while we started the year with 15 minute poses at a time, by the end we had mostly one minute poses so we had to grab the basics of the pose pretty fast.

Interesting. I love that method. Now I'm considering teaching an art class. envyraepfaceplz.gif
  • edited November 2010
    Well, it DOES remind me a lot of Dogbert's school of hard knocks.

I can see the similarities!
  • edited December 2010
    For anyone who's interested, for all humourous Monkey Island fan art you've created, why not try submitting it to Halolz:
    http://www.halolz.com/

Halolz is the web's most popular source gaming related funny images. However currently they hardly have much Monkey Island related ones. If anyone's interested, why not try submitting some to them. Their email is here: editors@halolz.com
  • edited December 2010
    Hi all my friends..
    Now I posting a double splash page from my first gotich novel "Ugly Angel".... You see something of family?...

cirocangialosi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • edited December 2010
    Nice LeChuck!
  • edited December 2010
    Nice narwhal head!
  • edited December 2010
    Nice map! :D
  • edited December 2010
    Nice cans!
  • edited December 2010
    Nice la...day? :(
  • edited December 2010
    Hi folks,
    my girlfriend has finished her first Monkey Island fanart. I'm allowed to show it to all of you here. She plans to draw more of it soon.

http://fav.me/d3603dx
  • edited December 2010
    Flintheart wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    my girlfriend has finished her first Monkey Island fanart. I'm allowed to show it to all of you here. She plans to draw more of it soon.

http://fav.me/d3603dx

That is quite superb. Creepy, yes, but that's what makes it so cool - it's interesting to see DeSinge portrayed in a non-comical manner. Top stuff!
  • edited January 2011
    It´s my first picture here. I hope u like it. :-)

morganjpgklein.jpg

edited January 2011
    Welcome, eiskaltes Händchen!

Choosing an Umlaut in your user name obviously wasn't the best option. ;)
    Good thing I didn't use the original Finnish spelling of my user name...

But your Morgan picture is really great! Muted colors and "cell-shading" effect, combined with a really individual style. I like it, keep up the good work!
  • edited January 2011
    Aye, I really like that. Quite simplistic, but very effective; I think it looks really nice!

One small niggle, though - I can't help but see the sword as a little... bent, when you look at the handle and then the blade; they seem to be on slightly different angles.

Otherwise, it's very good.
  • edited January 2011
    I would also change the direction of the blade. Master swordfighters (and Morgan is one) wouldn't put the sharp side of the blade near the neck (plus, not only there's a danger to cut oneself's neck, it looks like Morgan DOES try to cut out her own neck... with a smile.) It will also help the angle problem, actually (the blunt side doesn't have to become wider).
    Otherwise, it's very good.
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks you guys for the comments and the constructive critic !:) I´ll try draw swords and sword handling a bit more.

@Flintheart: I like that picture, especially the expression on marquis face!

@TomPravetz : Thanks for the link! :-)
  • edited January 2011
    I´d change it - but i can´t find the name-changing option :-/

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5942&page=4

Post what you want it to be.
  • edited January 2011
    AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
    cirocangialosi.jpg

I'm working about an short comic history where the protagonist ( a cat) go in dark house infested by three ghost/ninja/pirates/vampires ...
    In the scenarivo have wrote explicitly: ".. the captan must be are the classic captan gosth pirate, more big and whit long beard.." You know anybody whit this features?
  • edited January 2011
    First of all, lemme just say this: AEOFUHAOPEVNAWUNE HOLY CRAP!! Ghost Pirate LeChuck!!

*ahem* Okay, with that out of the way... I hope the cat is prepared with Root Beer. o_o (Also, I'd like to see this comic of yours.)
  • edited January 2011
    Now that is an incarnation of LeChuck that I'd like to see in-game.
  • edited January 2011
    Looks like the Genie-version of LeChuck :D
  • edited January 2011
    Looks like the Genie-version of LeChuck :D

LOL yeah... someone rubbed the wrong bottle of grog and out pops LeChuck.
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    LOL yeah... someone rubbed the wrong bottle of grog and out pops LeChuck.

Yarr! I will grant you three wishes! Ha! Just kidding. I'll be killing you now! Har har har!
  • edited January 2011
    Okay, I just did this, and my eyes are pretty sore because of sleepiness so I'm unsure about their overall quality.

melgibson.png

Just bust sketches actually. Are those coloring worthy? Because I have no idea how to color THOSE. I generally color pictures that have a clean, crisp lineart; and I just did them to have some sketches lying around.

@cirolmo: HOLY, SICK DUDE. I LOVE IT. Great style!
  • edited January 2011
    holy &%£$! those are are amazing, please colour them!!
  • edited January 2011
Sign in to comment in this discussion.