The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Woooow! That's SO cool!!! Make LeChuck! Make LeChuck! :D:D

Thanks. :) I was having some trouble with LeChuck's body, but here's the head I came up with:

tomilechuck.png
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks. :) I was having some trouble with LeChuck's body, but here's the head I came up with:

tomilechuck.png

I think only one word can describe the awesomeness of that sprite: epic.
  • edited June 2009
    :eek::eek: Duuuude, this is awesome! You should work on fangames! How do you do that?

Really, have you considered working on a fangame as the artist?
  • edited June 2009
    Something im currently playing about with, still to finish it off - put more detail in etc.

threepwood-painter.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Really, have you considered working on a fangame as the artist?

I don't know about fan games, but one of these days I'd really like to make an original game with Adventure Game Studio. I just need to learn the scripting language and, um, have a good idea for a game. Also I'm a terrible animator; static sprites are one thing, but I suck at making things move.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Welshy wrote: »
    threepwood-painter-2.jpg

Nice! Your Guybrush actually looks alot like Dominic Armato!
  • edited June 2009
    Not quite fan art, and not quite sure if it should be posted here but:

My little girl sure is looking forward to the release of Tales!

http://www.tweetphoto.com/e314c4
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Haha, awesome!
  • edited June 2009
    A baby is the perfect medium for fan art! :D
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    A baby is the perfect medium for fan art! :D
    Until years later when they find out what you did to them and sue your backside off for scarring them for life with a baby photo that cannot be unseen... :p

np: Jackie Leven - Classic Northern Diversions (The Haunted Year: Winter - Men In Prison)
  • edited June 2009
    "Why have you given me this ridiculous ensemble, daddy?" :)
  • edited June 2009
    S@bre wrote: »
    I had a spare moment and made a crappy heavily-derivative wallpaper consisting of one of Welshy's colours of one of Micki's works, with the new Monkey Island logo and a Puerto Pullo background:

th_ElaineBikiniWallpaper.jpg
    (click for full size)

Yay!! Shiver me buxom timbers!!

This is my new wallpaper, thank you S@bre! :D

And awesome art all over the thread, you people are really impressive! :)
  • edited June 2009
    I made one just recently in excitement for the enw game (didn't think there'd actually be a thread here for fanart, though!)

Be warned! For my art is rather crappy, and the description very long and full of fan-girling. Tuurrn back! Tuurrn back! Darkness will envelope you!

...wait...

Oh, here it is!
  • edited June 2009
    I made one just recently in excitement for the enw game (didn't think there'd actually be a thread here for fanart, though!)

Be warned! For my art is rather crappy, and the description very long and full of fan-girling. Tuurrn back! Tuurrn back! Darkness will envelope you!

...wait...

Oh, here it is!

Nice drawing! :)
  • edited June 2009
    o.....
  • edited June 2009
    Honestly, I don't like it at all... the textures don't look good, the lighting is all over the place... I'll just say: no.
  • edited June 2009
    2 years ago I was doing con sketches at the Munich Comic Festival. I usually ask what people want drawn, but when they replied "oh, anything, surprise me", I'd just draw them a quick Guybrush or LeChuck.

Guybrush_con_sketch_by_poison.jpg

And since it was in Germany, Guybrush is saying "How appropiate, you fight like a cow!" in German.
  • edited June 2009
    The Poison wrote: »
    2 years ago I was doing con sketches at the Munich Comic Festival. I usually ask what people want drawn, but when they replied "oh, anything, surprise me", I'd just draw them a quick Guybrush or LeChuck.
    Sehr schöne Skizze!
    I like it that it was drawn with only a few lines and not too much detail.
    You were on a comic festival? Are you a comic artist?
  • edited June 2009
    Ich mag Obstkuchen! :p
    Cool drawing, dude. cool drawing. :D

edit: "Ach ja" doesn't really mean "How appropriate" does it? Sounds more like "Oh yeah?".
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, actually it's "Wie passend, Du kämpfst wie eine Kuh!" (with "Wie passend" meaning, "How appropriate").
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile, you forgot the plant on the right side of the screen. Is that Chuck?
  • edited June 2009
    I think »Ach ja, du kämpfst wie…« sounds more fluent than »Wie passend, du kämpfst wie…«.
  • edited June 2009
    Majus wrote: »
    I think »Ach ja, du kämpfst wie…« sounds more fluent than »Wie passend, du kämpfst wie…«.

But "Ach ja?" is one of Guybrush's lame replys, which makes him lose a round...
  • edited June 2009
    But "Ach ja?" is one of Guybrush's lame replys, which makes him lose a round...
    Maybe, but the drawing is still good ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Sheepbrush wrote: »
    Nice drawing! :)

Thank ye! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Not exactly FanArt, but kind of Monkey-related: A photo I took two years ago in Putthaparti, India. This is a music-school.

the-second-biggest-guitar.jpg
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2009
    First off, my humble attempts at MI Fanart:

2007 effort: http://needleblade.deviantart.com/art/Guybrush-s-Dream-68703573
    2008 effort: http://needleblade.deviantart.com/art/What-Good-Is-That-78118841

Comments are of course welcome, even after such a long time. If you have a DA account yourself, please also don't hesitate to verbally clobber my present journal entry. It isn't posted on this forum for a reason. ;)

Now for all you artists out there...

@ AdoC:
    I love these sketches. Brilliant sense of perspective, very interesting cross-hatching and textures, and no shame at all to go playful if you feel like it. The first image is my favourite because of this.
    Your colored ones show even more skill. That's Fester Shinetop reinvented. Facial expression, lighting, gesture: Brilliant!

@ Masquerade:
    What an effort! You're focusing on almost emblematic drawings, and there are so many of them; in what time frame were these drawn?

@ Irishmile:
    I like the textures of this first piece, and the Island one as well. They are just big enough to be felt by the viewer. When did you do this, and what have you drawn since then? I can't look at my own drawings from a few years back... I feel they're too embarassing...

@ Monkey 05 06:
    That would be just like me. At first, I couldn't think of anything to draw on that "artPad", and by default it would be Monkey Island fan art. Like it!

@ Micki!:
    Ah, decent semi-lascivous Elaines in many poses, just what we need. Read all the literature about it. ;) Decent anatomy knowledge, CMI resemblance and a great line - pro stuff!

@ skylebones:
    I really wonder why LEC artists haven't thought of this earlier. This looks so right! ;-) Great LeChuck!

@ Majus:
    ...posted the first real TMI drawing on this thread. Well, you're my hero since the (German) Flash movie anyway, which I saw quite a while ago.

@ Jayel:
    Thank you: Great way with colors, great contrast, great mood. It's what, in my opinion, the first TMI scenes really lacked.

@ jp-30:
    I'm still waiting for Lego to release a MODERN pirate themed... well, that's another topic. Your effort is very visible in these - makes me wish to be a child again, take up some figures and just play in this gigantic Melee town...

@ Duate:
    Nice perspective, good color choice. Have we ever met the monkey on Guybrush's shoulder? Doesn't look like a monkey wrench to me... :D

@ Paco Vink:
    Very individual style, great art. You have so many things just nailed down, I envy this. I wouldn't necessarily recognize Elaine, though - still, that's the danger with new art paths. Love it!

@ Samas:
    In one of the most beloved art instruction books, Betty Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", there's this great experiment called "Recalled childhood drawing". You might want to try it sometime. It might be more interesting for you than for others. :D

@ Welshy:
    Great coloring efforts, very cell-shade-y. I also like your limited color palette.

@ Todesreiter:
    PLEASE tell me where I can get that monkey. Want it!!

@ Hoppy dragon:
    So I really COULD have played CMI on my AMIGA. Why didn't anyone tell me? I could have skipped buying a PC for another six years straight! I'd really like you to elaborate on where'd you get that idea. Must have been a strong urge... :D

That's it for now, been through the first six pages of the thread. I will get to more later. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    AH HA HA! The skeleton poses are excellent! I love it! Well done indeed! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Vainamoinen, the Guybrush-Dream-Picture is crazy! It’s really cool and good looking.
    Thank you very much for the kind words :)

Here is some more Tales-FanArt: These Guybrushs were taken from the flash-movie I’m working on… Stay tuned!

tales_guybrushs.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Vainamoinen! Great drawings. :) Ambitious of you "rating" every artist in this thread! :)
  • edited June 2009
    Sheepbrush wrote: »
    Vainamoinen! Great drawings. :) Ambitious of you "rating" every artist in this thread! :)

No kidding. Although it DID inspire me to go back through and look at all the older stuff. I don't have the gumption to comment on it all, but there was some awesome stuff there.
  • edited June 2009
    Wanted to get this posted before the day was over, so it's more unpolished than I'd like it to be. In any case, here we go!

Seven!

mi-countdown-7.png

Poor Jojo, Sr. :(

More to come ...
  • edited June 2009
    Very sad… but awesome picture! Nicely detailed and colored!
  • edited June 2009
    I had never drawn Elaine before so I decided to do a quick little doodle.

Elaine_Marley_by_Irishmile.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    A couple of weeks ago I drew this pic of LeChuck's army together with Wally and Largo! Hope all you scurvydogs out there like it! :D

All comments are welcome! Oh.. and if anyone is interested in coloring it up with some neat effects, feel free to do so!! ;)

lechucksarmy.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Majus wrote: »
    Hey Vainamoinen, the Guybrush-Dream-Picture is crazy! It’s really cool and good looking.
    Thank you very much for the kind words :)

Here is some more Tales-FanArt: These Guybrushs were taken from the flash-movie I’m working on… Stay tuned!

tales_guybrushs.jpg

Have you done any MI flash fan games?

Would be great in that style IMO.
  • edited July 2009
    jfen005 I love it
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile, very nice coloring. You managed to let her look like 50something, now it would be interesting to see an older Guybrush. :)

jfen005, that looks beautiful! But, in my opinon, LeChuck is a bit too much background, he doesn’t look like the leader of the bunch. But really, very nice collage.
  • edited July 2009
    Guybrush from Monkey Island2 in the Special edition style

Guybrush_Monkey_Island_2_by_Irishmile.png
  • edited July 2009
    WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!:D Superb!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.