Evaluating Character Designs

edited September 2018 in The Walking Dead

Formerly known as But what's with the ugly jacket?
I'm curious about what everyone's thoughts are on some of the character designs of the various characters over the course of the Walking Dead games and even some from other iterations. Redesigns count too, of course. You guys can talk about whatever character you want and their hairstyle, outfit, color scheme, personality, detail, uniqueness, proportions, whatever it may be that you like or dislike. Which characters do you think have the best and/or worst design(s)? What is it that makes them work or what could've made them better.

Note: This is a thread about Character Designs in general. If you want to talk about which characters get your rocks on, here is where you wanna get off.

Here is a general outline:
Good: Clementine(Season 2, Adam's hoodie), Ben, Larry, Nick, Arvo
Cute(Can't think of better word, so no homo): Lee, Clementine(Cool Jacket), Molly, Bonnie(Season 2), Michelle, Sarah, Reggie, Gil
Okay: Eddie, Sarita, Carlos, Mike, Jane
[With]Nitpick: Kenny(Season 2), Carley, Bonnie(Season 2), Becca(Season 2), Luke(without), Carlos, Sarah, Jane
Not in: Kenny (post-eye), Katjaa, Rebecca, Carver

Comments

• Sam's tits from TWDM were pretty hot. That's about all i can think of. xD

• Man, I though I was the only one.

BroKenny posted: »

Sam's tits from TWDM were pretty hot. That's about all i can think of. xD

• edited December 2016

They all look a bit weird and cartoony, at least in season 1 and 2. Season 3 I dont know, i'll see however from what i've seen its gonna be a bit uncanny valley like life is strange or the bigger open world rpg's

• Season 3 is going to look like a wax museum come to life.

They all look a bit weird and cartoony, at least in season 1 and 2. Season 3 I dont know, i'll see however from what i've seen its gonna be a bit uncanny valley like life is strange or the bigger open world rpg's

• edited December 2016

Off to a great start, I see: tits in wax museums. :lol:

Here's a few off the top of my head: I'm not really a fan of Kenny and Carver.

Kenny's Season 2 design in particular kinda bothers me for a number of reasons despite being fine enough on its own. I'm mostly thinking of his wardrobe to be honest, but the beard is one decent example.

Carver's design was always a sticking point for me since it told me everything I needed to know.

• ArsheiArshei Banned
    edited December 2016

Lilly is hot as hell, if she was the romance option instead of Carley, my Lee would have got dat that puss tonight.

• That's not what this thread is about...that would be this one.

This is a thread about character designs in general.

Arshei posted: »

Lilly is hot as hell, if she was the romance option instead of Carley, my Lee would have got dat that puss tonight.

• Oh, since I saw people talking about tits before.
    Anyway Lilly was designed to be hot, specially covered in his father's blood.

DabigRG posted: »

That's not what this thread is about...that would be this one. This is a thread about character designs in general.

• ...Charming.

Oh, since I saw people talking about tits before. Anyway Lilly was designed to be hot, specially covered in his father's blood.

• Nick is ironically one of the better designs in Season 2.

I don't like the way Bonnie's vest looks with her hair for some reason. It's probably just the color, though.

• The title confused me.

• I agree, I dont know if their titles are meant to be clever or a reference to something but it would be easier if they just posted what the thread is about

MarijaaNo7 posted: »

The title confused me.

• Jane's design bothers me. Did she go grey from stress or is her hair blonde and so dirty it looks grey? Also, is her uniform to make her look purposefully more militant?

• I didn't get the "barbecue V.S. berries" one either.

The title confused me.

• From Season 2: I always really liked Matthew, Johnny, and Ralph's (I think his name was? The guy with the hoodie that robbed Christa) designs. It was just an unfortunate coincidence that they all died/disappeared a couple of minutes after they were introduced..... but hey, Season 2 right?

Season 1: Lee's episode two attire, Carly and her purple vest, and I like Ben's school jacket, but I think Travis wore it better.

Michonne: Sam and her unnecessary but very much appreciated cleavage. Pete had an awesome design too. Much better than how he looked in the comics anyway.

• Alrighty then, I'll tweak it to be more specific.

The title confused me.

• Yeah, its a combined reference of Bonnie on Jane, Carley on Doug, and Taavia on Clementine. Admittedly, I could stand to be a little more specific when naming these things.

I agree, I dont know if their titles are meant to be clever or a reference to something but it would be easier if they just posted what the thread is about

• Yeesh, everyone's a critic. :joy:

Bon-Bon posted: »

I didn't get the "barbecue V.S. berries" one either.

• 4 years ago, was honestly in love with Carley.

Fastforward to 2016:

Oh...Hi, Sam.

Don'tlookdowndon'tlookdowneyesupthereeyesuptheredon'tlookdown

• You're certainly not. That's the only reason I ever replayed the Michonne Miniseries.

Man, I though I was the only one.

• And 1+ point for Javier. :lol:

Rebecca's tits

• Actually, I'm pretty sure her hair is a dark brown, most likely from marinating in blood and walker guts everyday.

And yeah, I sorta got the vibe that she got that uniform from her days with security... or more likely, robbing a security guard after she laid him.

Jane's design bothers me. Did she go grey from stress or is her hair blonde and so dirty it looks grey? Also, is her uniform to make her look purposefully more militant?

• You are sorta screwed up...you know?

Oh, since I saw people talking about tits before. Anyway Lilly was designed to be hot, specially covered in his father's blood.

• Design...I like Kenny's look in season 2...Bonnie is an ok design. Clementine before the wonder jacket. Jane could have used some color. Pete's was an ok design. Sam and Paige have color scheme that compliments each other.

Lee with the jacket during episode 2 was really nice design.

• Also, can we talk about how great Randall and Norma's eyes look?

Seriously. Those things are more radiant than a billion suns.

enter image description here

• That is hate Sloan...pure hate.

Also, can we talk about how great Randall and Norma's eyes look? Seriously. Those things are more radiant than a billion suns.

• Wrong thread, pal. Check the description for the link.

4 years ago, was honestly in love with Carley. Fastforward to 2016: Oh...Hi, Sam. Don'tlookdowndon'tlookdowneyesupthereeyesuptheredon'tlookdown

• Wrong thread, but eh. I suppose that counts.

• Sorry, blood fetish.

You are sorta screwed up...you know?

• Six people will argue it does. ;)

Wrong thread, but eh. I suppose that counts.

• edited December 2016

Hell yeah! Lee's attire in 102 was badass! And yeah, in Michonne, I think we all appreciate Sam's tits. xD

Black-Op1 posted: »

From Season 2: I always really liked Matthew, Johnny, and Ralph's (I think his name was? The guy with the hoodie that robbed Christa) design

• Jane must be an instant nut button then.

Sorry, blood fetish.

• Jane both works and yet also bothers me for various reasons.

• edited December 2016

Some thoughts:

• Hoodie-clad Clementine is my favourite design in the series. :-))

Clementine

• The family in the Jane ending easily had the worst designs since they were glaring rip-offs of existing characters. (No image necessary if you have seen Carlos, Molly, and Duck.)

• Luke and Nick were too similar to be honest. It would have been understandable had they been brothers.

LukeandNick

• Kenny's hair and facial hair had a greatly improved appearance in season 2 being as they had realistic texture applied.

season1Kennyseason2Kenny

• Stephanie is the prettiest female in the series, but her hair looked so wig-like. It was not made to blend with her body model at all.

StephanieStephanie2

Molly kind of has the same problem, especially at certain angles.

MollyMolly2

• Bonnie's turnabout from season 1 puzzles me. Why did she go from from looking 45 to 25? Deep wrinkles would not disappear from ceasing drugs. You would only forestall further damaging the skin.

Bonnie
    Bonnie2

• Some of the best character designs were in the details. Like Eddie's tats and piercings.

Eddie

Dee is another of my favourites. She had a realistic aged face and everything combined to make a really cohesive design. The leopard print was the unexpected touch that pulled it together.

Dee

Nate also had a good design in my opinion in spite of suffering from Kenny-hat and Luke-beard. LOL

Nate

This guy on the other hand...Telltale Games dropped the ball.

Roman

• I guess I'm going to be the only guy here who didn't even notice and still can't tell, I don't see the bust at all.

• Hoodie-clad Clementine is my favourite design in the series.

Yeah, she is definitely one of the best and one of the most iconic imo.

The family in the Jane ending easily had the worst designs since they were glaring rip-offs of existing characters. (No image necessary if you have see Carlos, Molly, and Duck.)

Ah, but why wouldn't people wanna see Ginger Mark, Indian Molly, and Black Dick?

Luke and Nick were too similar to be honest. It would have been understandable had they been brothers.

Really? I don't really see it.

Stephanie is the prettiest female in the series, but her hair looked so wig-like. It was not made to blend with her body model at all.

Oh, so that's the problem!

Some of the best character designs were in the details. Like Eddie's tats and piercings.
    Dee is another of my favourites. She had a realistic aged face and everything combined to make a really cohesive design. The leopard print was the unexpected touch that pulled it together.
    Nate also had a good design in my opinion in spite of suffering from Kenny-hat and Luke-beard. LOL

I never noticed that before.

This guy on the other hand...Telltale Games dropped the ball.

To be fair, Roberto is only there for a few minutes and is bound the entire time.

Some thoughts: * Hoodie-clad Clementine is my favourite design in the series. :-)) * The family in the Jane ending easily had

• I should have specified Roman.

Hoodie-clad Clementine is my favourite design in the series. Yeah, she is definitely one of the best and one of the most iconic imo.

• Well, she was pregnant, what did you expect?

• Oh. Yeah, he is kinda plain now that I'm looking at him in that pic. I do think the Hell's Angel logo fleshes it out, assuming he doesn't change into it between the timeskip.

I should have specified Roman.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.