Questions for the Walking Dead team!

Comments

• edited October 2011
    bobber56 wrote: »
    When do you plan on releasing the game? And what is taking you guys so long? One would think, with the time you have taken so far, that you would have completed the first four episodes by now!

Do you have any idea what goes into making a game? It doesn't sound like it. The writing phase of it can take quite a while, then there's the coding, modeling, texturing, level design, sound work, PR, animations and so on. And if you count the fact that it might not be the biggest team making it, there's a reason it's going to take longer. I realise you want this game out, so do the rest of us but please give them the respect they deserve for making this game in the first place.
  • edited November 2011
    This question probably been asked since its obvious, but if any of the characters that are in the game that are also in the show, will the actors from the show voice them?
  • edited December 2011
    I was wondering if all of the episodes will be released as one big game, or if it will be seperated into "seasons" like the TV show.
  • edited December 2011
    Just another reason for you guys to continue the Walking Dead podcast:

I was watching the Giantbomb Apples to Apples Quicklook (featuring Double Fine's Brad Muir). In this game, one of four players gets a card with a word on it, the three other players search through their cards (all cards have different words written on it) for words that in some way connects to player 1's word. Then player 1 (the judge of that round, every round another player is the judge) picks the card he thinks has the strongest/funniest connection to his card, and the person who submitted that card gets some points. I know this is a confusing explanation, but just watch the video.

Anyway, at 18:00 in the video, the judge card says 'Famous'. The three other players select their cards. Someone picks the card 'Video Games'. I'm getting ready for a brilliant Idle Thumbs moment, but... it doesn't come. That's right guys. Even GiantBomb (and Double Fine!) has forgotten you. No one recognises you. You have fallen into obscurity. Get back behind those microphones!

Link: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-apples-to-apples/17-5372/
    Skip to 18:00 for the weird and apparently completely natural Idle Thumbs reference. So weird that that happened by accident. It's like a message from God.

So, yeah, zombies.
  • edited December 2011
    In the Quite a week, I will be around if you want to talk about it thread, Dan talks about creating clear labels for games so that fans know what to expect:
    dancon wrote: »
    I think this is a good idea and you can expect us to provide more info about the type of game. I know on Sam and Max 2 we tried to communicate difficulty through a five star system.

As far as breakdown of gametype would you expect us to put BTTF and JP in the same category or would you separate the two. I would say Sam and Max is an adventure game, BTTF is an easy adventure (EZ) or casual adventure and JP is a cinematic adventure. Would that make sense to everyone

Taking into account this labelling system what kind of game would you classify the upcoming Walking Dead game as?
  • edited December 2011
    Please make this game alot more interactive than Jurassic Park. Give us full control over our character! I'm begging you to make a good game. I cant wait for this to come out and I'm disappointed It got pushed back but I hope thats to better the game.
  • edited December 2011
    Will this game contain puzzles?

More importantly will it contain any gameplay at all ??
  • edited December 2011
    One of the main aspects of a "Zombie Apocalypse" that to date other zombie games have completely ignored is the whole survival aspect. This is something that is really a focus in not only "The Walking Dead Comic" but also "The Walking Dead TV Series". When I say survival I mean having to forage or farm for food. Having to macgyver an old car, belts and batteries to provide limited power for your camp. Building or establishing safe fortifications that visually progress over time as you begin to slowly restore a sense of humanity. Even something as simple as string out little fish lines/nets to collect fish in a local stream.

I would really like to for once see a Zombie game that has a complete explore-able landscape. If you come across a neighborhood you should be able to go door to door clearing each house and scavenging for supplies. I hope to not see a forced path that the player must follow. (i.e. Enter house A - Pass through to backyard - Crawl through small hole in fence to House B - so on...) While 50 other houses are unreachable. More of a Morrowind/Oblivion/Slyrim style adventure across a massive landscape style Zombie game would take the market by storm.

Zombies it what drew us to "The Walking Dead Series" but the characters and the story-line is what held us captivated. Holding on to every moment, excited but yet fearful at what would happen next. The way that some people break down during the crisis but others rise above and the intricate way that the survivors interact and form bonds with one another. These are things that are very important to me when it comes to holding my attention when it comes to dialog in a game.

So I guess some good questions for you would be...

1) How much thought have you guys given to the human elements of survival as well as trying to restore some of the comforts of past society?

2) Can you comment on any aspects of scavenging or exploration that we may see in the game?

3) Is a large open ended world something that your development team is striving for or is that simply out of the question at this point?

4) Will you (the player) be able to even form a group of survivors or is this the story of more of a drifter/loner type character?

5) If you are moving with a group of survivors... Will you progress from one camp to another? (i.e. In the series they move from the camp (Rock Quarry) on the outskirts of Atlanta to Hershel's Farm to The Prison) Can we expect a similar type of progression? Like will you have the ability to choose your next location? (Example: We decide the farm we are staying at is just to dangerous to defend but during our explorations we found a way into a mostly secured bank but there is also that Apartment Building that will be harder to secure but is located right next to a Wal-Mart for easy scavenging.)

6) How much do you plan on focusing on the characters story's and interaction with each other? I want to know who they have lost, what they have been through up to this point and a sense of importance if I was to loose this person from my group.

Thank you for your time and for jumping onto such an exciting title as The Walking Dead!!

-Lunarjax :D
  • edited December 2011
    Will this game follow the recent Telltale trend and be made with iOS in mind and converted to PC/Mac and consoles?
  • edited January 2012
    Will questions posted in this thread be answered? :)

I'm hoping for some sweet tie-in merch' in the collector's edition. What are the chances of a Kirkman Walking Dead comic featuring the characters/storyline from the Telltale game? An adaptation, even... just putting it out there.
  • edited January 2012
    Lunarjax's questions answered would be great :)
  • edited January 2012
    I don't really know what to ask in here. Perhaps you folks could tell us a bit about what creates creating a Jogging Deceased activity interesting to you, and what you're expecting to obtain with your activity. Can we anticipate a frequent experience activity, or something a bit more action-oriented like Jurassic Playground, or something else entirely? Also, how engaged is Kirkman in all this? I saw a number of sections about the tv sequence from various business meetings online. com, and he's a very awesome guy. I completely assistance Milkman's recommendation that he should be on some kind of Identifying podcast.
  • edited January 2012
    I don't really know what to ask in here. Perhaps you folks could tell us a bit about what creates creating a Jogging Deceased activity interesting to you, and what you're expecting to obtain with your activity. Can we anticipate a frequent experience activity, or something a bit more action-oriented like Jurassic Playground, or something else entirely? Also, how engaged is Kirkman in all this? I saw a number of sections about the tv sequence from various business meetings online. com, and he's a very awesome guy. I completely assistance Milkman's recommendation that he should be on some kind of Identifying podcast.

Post of the year! Google translate, anyone?

Jogging Deceased. hahaha--priceless!
  • edited January 2012
    Jogging Deceased? Does that imply "fast zombies?" :p
  • edited January 2012
    WARP10CK wrote: »
    Will this game contain puzzles?
    More importantly will it contain any gameplay at all ??

Even more importanly, will you be able to walk in the Walking Dead? I hope it's not like Jurassic Park, where you have this stupid "picture in picture" method of moving abouts. Which was retarded because after you click on where you want to go, 9 out of 9 times, you'll see your charcter walking over there.
  • edited January 2012
    Even more importanly, will you be able to walk in the Walking Dead? I hope it's not like Jurassic Park, where you have this stupid "picture in picture" method of moving abouts. Which was retarded because after you click on where you want to go, 9 out of 9 times, you'll see your charcter walking over there.

I liked the JP controls.
    Walking is just nonsense, there's no real need to have it if the game resemble a graphic adventure.

Positive aspects:
    1) No more fake walls that costrain you to a certain area
    2) A more cinematic look
    3) No more long and dull walks from a location to another
    4) Watching a character moving, staring the air or standing without doing nothing is really pityful. (if you don't realize it, just look to this funny clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfBbuMQ_AA8)
    5) No more controls problems

Disadvantages:
    1) Someone may feel disconnected.

And I ask why... Postal allows you to walk, but you don't feel connected either, the same with Still Life 2, 15 Days or Lost Via Domus ... so having connection with the character is not something about walking!
    Gabriel Knight 2 is one of the best adventure game, and doesn't allow you to walk anywhere. And no one complained that Nelson Thethers cannot walk around!
    And even I feel that L.A. Noire's control scheme is completely dull (walking while pushing your body against all the fornitures or against the kitchen to find something useful is really bad... and doing maneuvers to focus objects is even worse...).

I feel that everything it's all about "I've the urgency to push buttons on my joypad!!!".
  • edited January 2012
    Yeah, Jurassic Park had a lot of problems, but not being able to walk wasn't one of them.
  • edited January 2012
    I liked the JP controls.
    Walking is just nonsense, there's no real need to have it if the game resemble a graphic adventure.

Positive aspects:
    1) No more fake walls that costrain you to a certain area
    2) A more cinematic look
    3) No more long and dull walks from a location to another
    4) Watching a character moving, staring the air or standing without doing nothing is really pityful. (if you don't realize it, just look to this funny clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfBbuMQ_AA8)
    5) No more controls problems

Disadvantages:
    1) Someone may feel disconnected.

And I ask why... Postal allows you to walk, but you don't feel connected either, the same with Still Life 2, 15 Days or Lost Via Domus ... so having connection with the character is not something about walking!
    Gabriel Knight 2 is one of the best adventure game, and doesn't allow you to walk anywhere. And no one complained that Nelson Thethers cannot walk around!
    And even I feel that L.A. Noire's control scheme is completely dull (walking while pushing your body against all the fornitures or against the kitchen to find something useful is really bad... and doing maneuvers to focus objects is even worse...).

I feel that everything it's all about "I've the urgency to push buttons on my joypad!!!".

There are a lot of problems with this post--but I'll just say this. Gabriel Knight 2 SUCKS BALLS. And you DO walk in it--not sure what you're talking about. There are a lot of screens where walking is minimal--they take one or two steps and then the scene changes, but there are also just as many areas where you control the character just like you do in any other point and click Sierra game--Gabriel and Grace have sprites and they walk all the way across screens to the spots where you click.

I would argue that the player feeling totally disconnected from the game is a MAJOR design problem that trumps all of those other issues you listed and then some.

What I will agree with is that the inability to have direct control of your character is not the only (or even the most serious) problem with the "gameplay" of a game like Telltale's JP.
  • edited January 2012
    Can we expect to see The Walking Dead on Steam?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2012
    Yes
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2012
    How soon is "deadly soon"?
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2012
    How soon is "deadly soon"?

Sooner than "grievously soon".
  • edited February 2012
    Sooner than "grievously soon".

Though not as soon as "Dead Reckoning Soon." I think...
  • edited February 2012
    Regarding the visual style of the game, what exactly were your influences here (regarding coloring, for example)? Did you consider going high contrast black and white like in the comics? Did you rule that out, because b&w might be hard to "sell" for a video game? Do you consider an optional black and white mode for the game?

Can't wait to see the game in motion, as the screenshots look sweeeet...
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Right, a real good discussion about the graphics is still missing. The first "moving pictures" will probably coincide with my completion of the comic compendium (which arrived yesterday ;) ). I might open the inevitable "graphics" thread then, if no one ninjas me. ;)

There already was some discussion about the B&W question with Harrison, though - in this thread. That doesn't mean the question was answered. :D
  • edited February 2012
    B&W would be GREAT.
    madworld3.jpg
  • edited February 2012
    nomecopies wrote: »
    B&W would be GREAT.
    madworld3.jpg

Too messy, IMHO.
    edited February 2012
    Regarding the visual style of the game, what exactly were your influences here (regarding coloring, for example)? Did you consider going high contrast black and white like in the comics? Did you rule that out, because b&w might be hard to "sell" for a video game? Do you consider an optional black and white mode for the game?

Can't wait to see the game in motion, as the screenshots look sweeeet...

The style we're using in the Walking Dead game is meant to evoke the comic book (which has been drawn by two different artists over its lifetime) but do so in a way that the 3D depth of the world, and realtime 3D animating characters aren't going to break the style. The game has more volume and texture than the comics do, which as you said are pretty stark high contrast black and white, with a lot of detail in gore, and foliage. We wanted the game to FEEL like the comics, even if it doesnt 1:1 LOOK like the comics. The game has heavy inky lines and high contrast blacks like the book, but instead of the light greytones the comic uses to add volume, we're doing a lot of texture work to evoke handpainted watercolors and marker felt pen coloring. It lets us do the color and volume that the game needs to feel fleshed out and stand on its own, but doesn't betray the handmade feel of the book. There aren't any toon shaders or anything in the game, it's almost all done with painted color channels, detail maps, painted normal maps, and lighting.

We talked about black and white mode, and did some tests, but what we fould was that you end up noticing how different it is from the comic instead of how similar it is. The comics are drawn by hand panel by panel so the artist has very strong composition and lighting control, and can cheat things all over the place to make the image compelling. The game has a lot more full 3D value in its world and lighting, and flattening it out, switching over to one color channel, and screwing with the levels doesn't magically make it match Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard's work, it sort of looks like its own different thing. It doesn't work as well in a 3D space. It looks INTERESTING for sure -- I have some fun screenshots of tests that I might post when the season's over -- but it looks like "a different cool black and white thing" more than it looks like "a page from the walking dead come to life." We found that by changing the style up a bit, adding color and volume, it lands in a sweet spot which a lot of people say "feels" like the Walking Dead even if it doesn't literally look 100% like the comic.
  • edited March 2012
    What happened to episode 2 of playing dead?
    edited March 2012
    Ja1862 wrote: »
    What happened to episode 2 of playing dead?

http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead :D
  • edited March 2012
    I can't view the video today, how does it look people?
    They said gameplay would be shown to silence the people who thought they wouldn't.

How does it look people :D

I hope the people who thought telltale was scared to show gameplay have been proven wrong, since the walking dead is great.

Hope the game is.
    edited March 2012
    Haha there's no gameplay this week. Awkward :) its coming soon though.
  • edited March 2012
    could you provide the screenshots from the playing dead episodes?
  • edited March 2012
    I am curious to know about actual game play. Will it be me controlling a character and killing zomibes or will it be more like an interactive story. So more like Heavy Rain or more like any other video game in a 3d enviroment?
  • edited March 2012
    I have a few questions about the Episodes

I was just wondering how many episodes will be released in each season?
    Are there plans to make The Walking Dead Game last for a few years via story arcs or expansions?
  • edited March 2012
    Ispep wrote: »
    I have a few questions about the Episodes

I was just wondering how many episodes will be released in each season?
    Are there plans to make The Walking Dead Game last for a few years via story arcs or expansions?

Usually Telltale games are made of 5 episodes. They usually release them monthly (more or less), so you'll be playing the entire story arc of the game for 5 months. Each episode is 2/3 hour long, but the fun continues into the forums where people suggest and discuss what will happen in the next one or how they play a certain part.
    And this particular game, that allows multiple choices, will be a lot more fun than usual to discuss! :D

BTW Telltale never released an expansion pack ro whaterver. If the game will sell a lot they will surely consider a second season! ;)
  • edited March 2012
    Usually Telltale games are made of 5 episodes. They usually release them monthly (more or less), so you'll be playing the entire story arc of the game for 5 months. Each episode is 2/3 hour long, but the fun continues into the forums where people suggest and discuss what will happen in the next one or how they play a certain part.
    And this particular game, that allows multiple choices, will be a lot more fun than usual to discuss! :D

BTW Telltale never released an expansion pack ro whaterver. If the game will sell a lot they will surely consider a second season! ;)

That what I remember from Back to the Future, I was just hoping that there would be a ongoing adventure like the comics.
    I could see people buying them like the real issues of the comics.
    Well at lease I would anyways :)
  • edited March 2012
    Ispep wrote: »
    That what I remember from Back to the Future, I was just hoping that there would be a ongoing adventure like the comics.
    I could see people buying them like the real issues of the comics.
    Well at lease I would anyways :)

Bear in mind that telltale only have one game to have multiple seasons(Sam and Max), but that doesn't prove anything, just don't expect too much after episode 5.
  • edited March 2012
    Did you guys have to pay the New York Yankees money for Glenn to wear a Yankees ball cap? I noticed in the show he doesnt actually have the logo on his cap but IS wearing a similar colored cap.. in the screen below he has it on.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjCSYLT_el_3y8jL9lTnR4mO4kDWFJ3NxKYgC7aXLeRHr-Qs3CKQ
    426473_395995497081289_222549117759262_1684311_1660313794_n.jpg
This discussion has been closed.