New Wolf Among Us Info/Previews - PSA: Releases this Friday (Oct 11) + New Footage on IGN Up at Noon

Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us
Recent Updates about the game

Episode 1 releases this Friday. Woo! Additionally, a new Launch trailer is out!

August 20: Additional previews indicate that the series will be five episodes (no big surprise) and that all platforms, even Xbox 360, will have a Season Pass whereas episodes will cost $5 individually. Also, unlike Walking Dead, Shacknews gives the impression Telltale will be returning to monthly instead of bi-monthly-ish episodes.

October 3: Telltale has just put up pre orders up on Steam and their own store, and collector DVDs are back for people who get the season on the Telltale Store. No release date has been announced, but we can't be too far off...

October 4: Episode Titles have been revealed on Steam:

Episode One: Faith
Episode Two: Smoke and Mirrors
Episode Three: A Crooked Mile
Episode Four: In Sheep's Clothing
Episode Five: Cry Wolf

October 7th: IGN has a short clip of an early fight scene from episode One on IGN Up at Noon. Footage starts at 13:57
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/07/creating-the-walking-dead-season-2-releasing-the-wolf-among-us-telltale-on-up-at-noon
Additionally, they also tease TWAU as "coming soon" and that Walking Dead Season 2 will premiere during the course of TWAU Season 1. (In other news, someone found that the Xbox.com page for Episode One has a release date of the 11th; aka this Friday).

(Original Post from August and earlier edits/additions are below)
For those who do not follow Telltale's twitter, some sites have released previews for the first hour of Wolf Among Us Episode 1. Several of the previews indicate the game's release was delayed from Summer to Fall ("Late September/Early October according to Destructoid).

Most of the previews consist of story spoilers, but I included some interesting non-spoilery excerpts below.

http://www.destructoid.com/telltale-s-the-wolf-among-us-will-please-fables-fans-260328.phtml
"Investigation isn't part of the gameplay, but it is part of the plot. You're aren't always really in situations to look for clues or details, but you can look around for more story points if you want. This design plays into Bigby's conflicted nature. He could be a proper detective, one that goes by the books. Or go more with his wild side as the Big Bad Wolf to sniff out crime scenes and use his gut instinct. You'll find different things depending on how you investigate the situation.

On the technical side, you can now hold down the right trigger to move your character a little faster. Also, the Telltale engine has been improved to resolve issues players had with The Walking Dead such as save-state problems, frame-rate hiccups, and the like. The technology for Telltale games kind of gets locked into place with the first episode to a series, as the subsequent episodes are treated as downloadable content. So a lot of the issues have been ironed out, Telltale told me."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/the-wolf-among-us-preview
"Bigby is an interesting character, in that he's much angrier and more physical than any of Telltale's previous heroes. Throughout TWD, I chose to have Lee act with the sole goal of keeping Clementine safe and sculpting her into a strong, independent woman. But with Bigby, that's all out the window. I have to keep order in a town full of vulgar frogs, alcoholic pigs, and smug mirrors with an affinity for end-rhyme. This time around, I'm willing to do whatever's necessary in order to right a wrong, even if that means throwing a flanneled woodsman out a window.

After playing about an hour of the first episode of The Wolf Among Us, I walked away with the utmost confidence in Telltale's next adventure. Any fears that this game would have to cower in the shadow of The Walking Dead were immediately put to rest, as it became clear that this story stands tall with its own unique voice and style. I seriously can't wait to see just how unhappy of a man I can make Bigby when The Wolf Among Us launches early this fall."

Joystiq has a preview up as well with new video footage.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/suspending-disbelief-in-the-wolf-among-us/
"And to tell the truth, that's a good way to describe the majority of my experience with The Wolf Among Us: moments of strong emotion preceded by moments of absolute surprising surrealism. It's a bit much to take in, this world of fairy tale creatures, magic and morality, but Telltale manages to instill an emotional weight that makes it easier to look past some of the out-there stuff – like a pig smoking a cigarette, only pausing to greedily lap up hooch from a highball glass.
Here I was, watching a story unfold about mythical creatures hiding out in New York City and it's all so ridiculous and yet I didn't even question it – not once. The emotional impact and intensity of the storytelling drew me in immediately and I was hooked. Telltale Games has risen to provide a level of character development and narrative other studios would do well to dissect.

The Wolf Among Us is slated to launch either in late September or early October for Xbox 360, PS3, Mac and PC. Five episodes will be available in total, priced at $5 each. Season pass options will present themselves on all platforms closer to launch."

Other Previews

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_wolf_among_us/b/xbox360/archive/2013/08/20/the-wolf-among-us-hands-on-preview.aspx

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80745/the-wolf-among-us-season-begins-early-october-spans-five

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/20/4638234/the-wolf-among-us-explores-role-playing-and-class-structures

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/20/4639948/first-look-at-wolf-among-us-telltale-follow-up-to-the-walking-dead

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Ack, I posted this in another thread. Oh well.

A few things I picked up while reading: (Possible comic spoilers)
    -The game seems to be set somewhere between 10-15 years before the first trade. Maybe we'll see how Bigby and Snow's relationship started here.
    -Ichabod Crane runs Fabletown at the time, so we might get to see how his role gets switched to King Cole.
    -As expected, there is gameplay just like TWD, from choices to combat.
    -It looks like there will be another important new female character besides Snow, probably game-exclusive. She was shown in the trailer.
    -More choice is seemingly shown in the TWAU than TWD. You can choose to investigate just how much you want in the scene of the crime, as well as choosing to pick up any items around the room when fighting.

EDIT: Well, the first episode is delayed until late September/Early October? I can practically hear the rage from the WD sub-forum.
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I was thinking about the delay as well as what Telltale has been saying about their new goals with releasing multiple seasons. I guess that perhaps Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead will run coherently, both as an opportunity for Telltale to try releasing multiple seasons at once and also to give a niche series like Fables more mainstream exposure by releasing it alongside Walking Dead Season 2.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Summer ends September 21st anyway, so I wasn't expecting the game until then. A few more weeks of waiting won't be so bad. ;)
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited August 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Summer ends September 21st anyway, so I wasn't expecting the game until then. A few more weeks of waiting won't be so bad. ;)

It's not so bad if you completely ignore all the other delays. It gets annoying at the point where even a rather abstract date can't be made.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Great write-up, Blind Sniper!

Has me hyped up for the game a bit more, actually. There's no denying that the joystiq article pretty much confirms that The Wolf among Us will be a game about a detective which doesn't let the player do the actual investigation. All the investigation bits seem to be totally optional, which does seem like nothing but a wasted design opportunity to me. :(

For David Hinkle from joystiq, "an adventure game" now seems to be synonymous with "hitting the A button a bunch of times" (= actual quote from the 'video preview'). I can't even begin to describe how much that saddens me. :( :(

However, there are some really positive aspects I'm looking forward to in this game!! First, the bits where that 'bonus' investigation takes place; mostly because it sounds like there's far more direct control in the game than there was in TWD. Granted, without any exception whatsoever, ALL the screenshots hitherto released show cutscenes and none of them gameplay elements, which is a huge bummer.

Second, although I'm not a sound fan of either, the 'coreographic' approach to the brawls sounds infinitely more interesting than the Quick Time Events found in TWD or even Jurassic Park. Also, the promised possibility of actually loosing a fight and having to continue from there adds an element of suspense and the air of skill based gaming.

Third, the score. What the IGN article describes as:
    the music, which harnesses all of the fantastic, evocative synth of an ‘80s action movie.
    sounds like Jared Emerson-Johnson will excel in this series. In TWD, the music naturally had to be of a quieter, ominous nature, and while I found it to be quite fitting, I was hardly craving a CD soundtrack or anything. For comparison, JEJ's fantastic cross-genre Sam & Max Season 3 "soundtrack waiting thread" still has a lively following after almost three years. I expect TWaU to repeatedly deliver on great hummable tunes. "80's action movie music", that encompasses such legendary motifs as Silvestri's "Delta Force" theme. I'll keep my ears peeled, I can tell you. :D

As for the "delay", errr, well, that hardly counts in Telltale time. If the online zines are right, we'd have episode 1 only a few weeks after summer ends. That's nothing, absolutely nothing. Still, if TWD has to be delayed - and I am pretty sure Telltale now knows if that is the case - the news should get out NOW. Not in December or January... :(
    edited August 2013
    The preview from the Verge had an interesting view on the gameplay. I'm posting this here instead of the original post because that is long enough already. It's interesting how even another choice based game is going to be so radically different from the Walking Dead outside of story.
    This aesthetic is reflected in how you play. The game’s basic mechanics are almost identical to those of The Walking Dead, but combat and conversation are emphasized over traditional "place object on object" puzzles. Finding the right clues is still important, but at least in the game’s early sections, you’re more likely to show them to a colleague than use them to fix a swing. "We want it to feel organic," Shorette says. "I don’t want you to feel like ‘This is story time, this is game time.’" While Telltale’s games are often put in the point-and-click adventure genre, he doesn’t think the label fits. "I don’t think you can classify [The Wolf Among Us] as an adventure game. It’s almost a genre unto itself."

The biggest difference between The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us may end up being how the same storytelling engine serves two very different genres. The post-apocalyptic Walking Dead was an exercise in constant anxiety, with a vulnerable protagonist who could lose everything by making a bad decision or telling one lie too many. Though the first half-episode of The Wolf Among Us gives you just as many chances to make someone hate Bigby, its hardboiled fantasy style makes him a powerful player in a world of nearly immortal characters. It’s hard to say whether fans will find the new direction as satisfying, but it gives Telltale a much-needed chance to explore the limits of its medium. And if some players don’t like it — well, there’s always the second season of The Walking Dead.
  • edited August 2013
    What about next gen? I'm buying a PS4 at launch. If I buy a season pass, that means the season ends in february.
    edited August 2013
    Bandai wrote: »
    What about next gen? I'm buying a PS4 at launch. If I buy a season pass, that means the season ends in february.

We have neither heard of a release schedule, nor of the number of episodes they're aiming for. It's probably safe to assume that by all means they want to get back to the 'roughly monthly' releases - and there's about a 90% chance that TWaU will have 5 episodes... ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Late September to Early October? :(

original.jpg
  • edited August 2013
    So no more save problems or stutter between scenes YAY BITCH YAY, sorry, that annoyed me so much, so Wolf Among Us and season 2 of Walking Dead will be both better looking and less glitchy, and so what if it got delayed, both are going to be better games because of it.
    edited August 2013
    Late September to Early October? :(

original.jpg

There's a world of differences between, say, a 150 hour RPG that comes out right as school starts and an episodic game in monthly installments, each of those between 2 and 3 hours long, rated R. ;)
  • edited August 2013
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."
    -Miyamoto
  • edited August 2013
    I feel that releasing the Wolf Among US along with Walking Dead Season Two will be the most profitable. While I have been worried with Walking Dead overshadowing Wolf Among Us, it could really help boost Fable's popularity.

Unlike Walking Dead, Fable doesn't have a TV show but there are talks of a movie with the producers of Harry Potter.

Either way, I have a lot of point and click games like Broken Sword 5 that I am waiting on.

Edited: Wanted to add if Telltale were to co-release these games, it would be nice to see a combo deal. Buying both games could be $45 or 40.
  • edited August 2013
    Zeruis wrote: »
    Ack, I posted this in another thread. Oh well.

A few things I picked up while reading: (Possible comic spoilers)
    -The game seems to be set somewhere between 10-15 years before the first trade. Maybe we'll see how Bigby and Snow's relationship started here.
    -Ichabod Crane runs Fabletown at the time, so we might get to see how his role gets switched to King Cole.
    -As expected, there is gameplay just like TWD, from choices to combat.
    -It looks like there will be another important new female character besides Snow, probably game-exclusive. She was shown in the trailer.
    -More choice is seemingly shown in the TWAU than TWD. You can choose to investigate just how much you want in the scene of the crime, as well as choosing to pick up any items around the room when fighting.

EDIT: Well, the first episode is delayed until late September/Early October? I can practically hear the rage from the WD sub-forum.

One quick change from your statements
    Ichabod Crane wasn't in the role of King Cole. He was in Snow White's role and she was in the role of Boy Blue. That being said, there will still be differences as Snow and Crane are vastly different people. I think from what I understand, we should see the moment Crane is ousted by Bigsby.

From what I understand, there were supposed to be elements in the games that precede certain comic events. While it might be too soon, we might see some elements from the Rapunzel arc of Fairest.

Has anyone mentioned if Wolf Among Us is still doing multiple events at one time? Meaning Bigsby would witness one event but you would have to replay to see the other events.
    edited August 2013
    The previews do indeed indicate multiple events occurring at once, although they give story spoilers to answer your question.
  • edited August 2013
    That video preview looks juicy! :D
  • edited August 2013
    I know right, can't wait.
  • edited August 2013
    Welp, I let my curiosity get the better of me and read more new info/previews. I got spoiled for what seems like the first half of the first episode and seemingly important plot points.

Adding on a few links to your posts, Blind Sniper. There's articles from the Nerdist, PC Gamer, as well as Comics Alliance.

These spoilery articles also explain the graphics, the increased "freedom" of choice, as well as mentions of Adam Harrington and Gavin Hammon voicing characters. Basically, very little that we didn't know other than important plot points.
  • edited August 2013
    From PC Gamer:
    "The five-episode series is due out later this year, launching in the early winter for $5 a pop."

EARLY WINTER??????
    :O
    edited August 2013
    From PC Gamer:

EARLY WINTER??????

OK, don't panic. :o

There has as of yet been one (1) showing of TWaU to the press, which was only last week. We must assume that Telltale has divulged release date information during and after the showing, and we must assume that PC gamer is only late in presenting their information. While ALL the other mags reliably report FALL, PC gamer is just accidentally off by three months. But they had the same information source at the same time as all the others, so chances that they're just telling bullshit are pretty high. :p
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2013
    EARLY WINTER??????

Vainamoinen's right - don't worry! Like all the other sources said, we're aiming for a late September / early October release. That hasn't changed. :)
  • edited August 2013
    Aren't we supposed to get news this weekend?
    edited August 2013
    "We", maybe not that much. "The press at PAX PRIME", those are the lucky guys. :D
  • edited September 2013
    Zeruis wrote: »
    Crane was never Mayor, King Cole was Mayor since the founding of Fabletown until Prince Charming beat him in an election. Crane was the assistant mayor, the same job Snow White has in the man series. Snow was Crane's assistant the same job Boy Blue has during the main storyline.

Read below only if you've read the comics and want a "reminder".
    Crane loses his job after "sexually harassing" Snow. It hinted at in a later comic the Crane tried to rape her. Bigby ended up killing Crane for treason when he attempted to "sell out Fabletown" to the Empire. He smashed his head in with a statue of Napoleon on a horse.... that coincidentally had Napoleon's head broken off of it.
  • edited August 2013
    Telltale Games about release: "Nothing officially confirmed yet, but the Series Premiere of #TheWolfAmongUs will be happening very soon! Stay tuned!"

Very soon? That sounds earlier then late September early October, tbh. :o
    edited September 2013
    Davisx3m wrote: »

You must be new here. ;)
  • edited September 2013
    Davisx3m wrote: »
    Telltale Games about release: "Nothing officially confirmed yet, but the Series Premiere of #TheWolfAmongUs will be happening very soon! Stay tuned!"

Very soon after 2 years is an accomplishment. :P Telltale has been telling people they were creating games for Fables (tWAU) and King's Quests since 2011. King's Quest got canceled and only this year did we really start to get news.

At least this game is finally out of development hell. I mean look at some of these game series that have been in development for so long. For example, Time Splitter 4, Kingdom Hearts 3, or my favorite the Longest Journey.
  • I just found this:

"The Wolf Among Us will debut its first episode in late October or early November on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 with Mac, and possible iOS and Vita ports coming later. "

http://www.darkstation.com/features/pax-prime-preview-the-wolf-among-us-was-the-best-thing-i-saw-at-pax-prime/

I hope they are wrong :o

edited September 2013

They are wrong. Don't worry.

This is still PAX PRIME news, and the only date communicated there was late September/early October. Unless Telltale starts handing out different release windows to different members of the press of course.

PAX was at the beginning of the month. The darkstation guys put their article online September 9th, more than a week after they got their information. The very same day, coincidentally, puzzlebox confirmed early October as the release window. (Link might not actually work, blame on new forum)

Originally posted by puzzlebox, September 9th, 2013
    At the moment we're targeting early October for the season premiere. I'd expect that window to become more concrete once preorders go live.

Davisx3m posted: »

I just found this: "The Wolf Among Us will debut its first episode in late October or early November on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 wit

• Ah great, that was what I thought. :)

• i am trying to avoid as much as possible (spoiler wise) about the game and fables so it will be new when i play it, but the few times i have let my curiosity get the better of me has just got me really excited to play the game and then get into the comics properly, it is such an interesting concept

• I find it a tad bit disappointing that the game is already finished. (First episode at least) their are spoilers on the internet and the release has been delayed. Normally, its released early in situations like this. I can understand the ending not in stone as they want to build on feedback before deciding which is great. Though I do wish it was released earlier to counter the spoilers out there.

edited September 2013

Neither the game nor the first episode are "finished".

And as of yet, the press has only seen about an hour of episode one... that's the only spoilers that might already float around the internet. But none of the press people actually 'has' that demo, not even that. They were only given the opportunity to play the game with Telltale employees present.

fusedmass posted: »

I find it a tad bit disappointing that the game is already finished. (First episode at least) their are spoilers on the internet and the relea

• I thought the demo was only about 10 minutes. An hour sounds like avaerage time for entire episode. It's not finished then? well, I am eargly checking the website daily for news in hopes it does release soon. Come on Tell Tale. I need my fix.

Vainamoinen posted: »

Neither the game nor the first episode are "finished". And as of yet, the press has only seen about an hour of episode one... that's the on

• I'm a little annoyed it's not finished, I have been checking daily as well.

fusedmass posted: »

I thought the demo was only about 10 minutes. An hour sounds like avaerage time for entire episode. It's not finished then? well, I am eargly checking the website daily for news in hopes it does release soon. Come on Tell Tale. I need my fix.

• If we're really lucky, they're handing in the first episode at Sony's and Microsoft's for the final checkup as we speak. Then again, if they're that far, they usually would have started pre-orders for the PC/Telltale store.

Pre-orders for the Walking Dead started about one month in advance, so... we'll have that final TWaU release date probably in a week or two.

MissDRJ posted: »

I'm a little annoyed it's not finished, I have been checking daily as well.

• I'm holding you to that

If we're really lucky, they're handing in the first episode at Sony's and Microsoft's for the final checkup as we speak. Then again, if they'r

• To the 'probably' you can't hold me. ;)

• Why isn't telltale blogging more there last post was august 29th

To the 'probably' you can't hold me.

• That's how Telltale works. They usually have to be last minute about various things because of the episodic schedule. They aren't just withholding information to antagonize us.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.