The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - "Thicker Than Water" - AMA

Comments

• Ep. 4 has got to be my favorite one this season with Lingard being my favorite new character. I figured since he can die in ep. 4 it wouldn't hurt to ask this: in ep. 3 at the end, Joan does her little speech and when she says "lovers" she looks at Lingard and then when David said "how many others lost their kids, too?" he also looked at Lingard. Just to confirm, did he have a wife and kid(s)? How many kids did he have? Did they/the wife die because of the raids or because of the harsh winter? I'm just curious to know more about him in general, so whatever you got-- throw it at me!

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

I know you know this, dojo, but Ace Attorney is one of my favorite video game franchises.

enter image description here

dojo32161 posted: »

I really like the way you guys have been handling Conrad so far, do you guys have plans that you believe are interesting for him in the fift

• Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff

Adam Miller is the flashback master for Episode 4. He focused entirely on the Kenny/Jane/Ava scenes, and boy did he deliver.

Chris Schroyer, who's here answering questions, did the design work for those scenes (and many more) in the episode.

I'm extremely happy that you liked it :)

ReTaLiN posted: »

Who wrote the Kenny flashback? That was a 10/10 flashback.

• It's most likely already finished so releasing it earlier would have little to no effect on the length or quality.

D3NN15 posted: »

I wouldn't say the sooner the better, honestly. I'd rather have a polished, outstanding final episode be released when it's top notch, instead of trying to push a deadline.

• I wouldn't care if Gabe dies

Will there be more Clementine x Gabe scenes in episode 5? Ship them so well and it would be tragic if Gabe died.

• Thank you so much, They did AN AMAZING Job on the flashbacks. Made me tear up.

Alyssa_TTG posted: »

Adam Miller is the flashback master for Episode 4. He focused entirely on the Kenny/Jane/Ava scenes, and boy did he deliver. Chris Schro

• Shout to ya boi Adam Miller for dem flashbacks.

enter image description here

Adam Miller is the flashback master for Episode 4. He focused entirely on the Kenny/Jane/Ava scenes, and boy did he deliver. Chris Schro

• Hi. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible that there will be another choice or qte in episode 5 that can make Conrad live? Conrad is one of my favorite characters in this season and I'm glad that he was able to make it to episode 5 and to do more then normal determinate characters.
    2. Will we see Gabe at his full potential meaning will he do more good and useful things in episode 5 then the episodes before? The reason why I'm asking this is because I believe Gabe still has potential and I understand why he complains alot (just like his dad). I'm not one of those people who wants him to die. I can see him doing better. Also I wanted to say I like the relationship he has with Clementine and I don't mind them being together (if it happens). I'm just glad Clementine has someone her age that she can talk to and make her happy. Anyways I was impressed with how much he did in episode 4. And I'm in the minority, but I do hope Gabe survives.
    3. I liked the romance with Javier and Kate, so I want to know if Kate does survive, will we get to see Javier and Kate interact more in episode 5?
    4. Will we get to see Max in episode 5? Because I spared him I wanted to know what his fate will be.

I just wanted to say thanks so much for this season with it's episodes. My favorites were episode 3 and 4. I'm hoping episode 5 will be just as good as well. Also thanks for all of the characters in this season.

• I'm trying to think of something, but anything I can think of asking has already been asked by another user. So I'm just going to say that you guys did a fantastic job on Episode 4, it was definitely my favorite episode of the season and one of my favorite episodes of TWD overall. I'm hoping that the season will close out strong with this last episode, and that we will see more TWD content from you guys in the future.

Yes! Lingard had a family. @Alyssa_TTG just told me!

For further context... before Javi's arrival, David was Lingard's sponsor and he was actually doing fairly well!

Of course, once Javi arrived and David's world got turned upside down, we all saw how well that turned out for Dr. Lingard...

Ep. 4 has got to be my favorite one this season with Lingard being my favorite new character. I figured since he can die in ep. 4 it wouldn'

• AdamWritesVideoGamesAdamWritesVideoGames Former Telltale Staff

Hey! Thanks for the kind words!

Before walkers started biting into folks, our friend Clint was a botanist. Pretty useful guy to have in the apocalypse, I'd say. His thoughtful, collected demeanor seemed natural for someone whose former job involved patience, observation, and a delicate hand.

Clint and Joan encountered the New Frontier when they were outside a dying peach orchard by the Shenandoah River. Clint proved his usefulness in bringing the orchard back to life, and the rest is history. Bloody, bloody history.

Hey, guys! Loved Thicker than Water! Definitely the best so far... My question revolves around Clint. He seems like a very diplomatic cha

Wellington 100% matters. If Clem left Kenny behind at the gates and went in, that was a hugely character building moment (as well as a tragically difficult one), and that is something that Clem calls back to in her mind when making critical decisions.

And I promise that we have NOT forgotten the hat.

fallandir posted: »

Does an absence of Wellington flashback in Ep4 mean that this particular ending didn't matter in terms of general story? Are we gonna know what happened to Kate or it's gonna stay a mystery?

• Can you make AJ wear kenny's hat in episode 5?
    we were able to take it in the wellington ending but never seen it appear again.

• @Alyssa_TTG @mostlypoptarts Did Eleanor have family members like a brother or sister?

Yes! Lingard had a family. @Alyssa_TTG just told me! For further context... before Javi's arrival, David was Lingard's sponsor and he was

Thank you! And since you don't have a question for us, I have one for you! What's your favorite Metallica song?

I'm trying to think of something, but anything I can think of asking has already been asked by another user. So I'm just going to say that y

• Thanks for the question. My favorite would have to be One off their album ...And Justice For All.

Thank you! And since you don't have a question for us, I have one for you! What's your favorite Metallica song?

• it definitely took the longest time to get right, and we went through a BUNCH of different iterations of the scene before we landed on the one that shipped. When the season is over, it'd be fun to go into some of those paths not taken in more detail.

It's easy to forget sometimes how much work you guys put into the writing process for these things :D That's really cool, though. Thanks for replying :)

Another survivor? Probably not... It'd be hard to top what we've already done.

That said, I'm sure a bat sure comes in handy in this post-apocalyptic world...!

Will we get to see Javier unleash his "Lucille" on another survivor again? pls let us drop that bat hard on Eleanor's head.

• edited April 2017

Why did Eleanor betray Javier's group even if Javier did not shoot Conrad in episode 2?

• C SchroyerC Schroyer Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2017

Hey there!

The short answer is: Yes, we were aware of how some players saw Gabe prior to starting work on episode 4. There are specific reasons we choose to use Gabe to (conditionally) reveal things.

The more complicated answer is that I feel that The Walking Dead is all about families; families we're born into, families we choose to belong to. In episode 4, we wanted to pull at these ties in new ways. After seeing how many people shot Conrad, I knew that this was a choice I wanted to see reflected back to players in a significant way. In season 3, Gabe is a character going through a tough time. I wanted to show Gabe as a kid just trying to figure this all out and how to become a better contributor to his group. But like his father, Gabe is a bit of a hothead and doesn't always have the people skills talk his way out of things.

I don't know about you, but as much as I love my family, sometimes they still do things that can really get under my skin and sometimes they pick the absolutely worst times to do this. As parents of teens can attest, keeping your cool in these moments can be extremely difficult. When Gabe reveals the details behind Conrad's death, we wanted it to be the absolute worst thing that could be revealed in that moment.

That said, Gabe is telling the truth in this moment. Javi killed Conrad. That's a choice that Javi (or the player) has to own up to. Be angry at Gabe all you like, but he wasn't the person that pulled the trigger. :)

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

I enjoyed Episode 4 btw. Probably the best one so far this season! Here's my question: Are you guys aware of the amount of hate Gabe is g

We don't sell official posters, unfortunately.

Our friends at Skybound have a store where they sell Clementine hats, action figures, etc. etc: https://store.skybound.com/

But that's it as far as official merch atm. I'll keep you posted should anything change :)

D3NN15 posted: »

Is there somewhere where I could purchase official posters for The Walking Dead: A New Frontier or previous seasons? I'm kind of a poster gu

I really like Conrad too!

What Conrad did in the railway car was something that happened at one of the lowest moments in his life -- he'd just lost someone he loved, Gabe pulled a gun on him during his time of mourning, and he let his desire for revenge override the person he truly was. We wanted to play out that story, and make sure that players who took a chance on him would be able to see that character development play out.

On top of those story reasons, the voice actor for Conrad, William C. Stephens, is terrific and brought that character to life from that first poker-playing scene in the bar.

What led to Conrad's rather unexpected treatment as a determinant character? It seems like you guys have gone out of your way to include

• That makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

C Schroyer posted: »

Hey there! The short answer is: Yes, we were aware of how some players saw Gabe prior to starting work on episode 4. There are specific r

How hard was it for you guys to choose between Ava/Tripp in Ep4s last part? In all seriousness, you guys pulled a crazy one lol

• I'd just like some clarification as to what the direction of the scene was meant to be aimed at. Cause it seems slightly misplaced.

Cramps stop for nobody

I would like clarification on one thing, if it's possible. Why did Javier, who had just before been stabbed by a relatively large knife,

• I think Clem and Gabe make a really cute couple. It's nice to see a ray of hope in the bleak, desolate mess that is otherwise the apocalypse

• Plan_RPlan_R Banned
    edited April 2017

Wait to be a sponsor you also have to be a recovering addict, was David an addict at some point?

Yes! Lingard had a family. @Alyssa_TTG just told me! For further context... before Javi's arrival, David was Lingard's sponsor and he was

Have you found Banang yet?

Graysonn posted: »

Thanks for having this AMA! It's nice getting the chance to talk to the developers of the episodes. Did you guys hide any easter eggs players might not know about?

• Could you give us a hint if we going to see Wellington in episode 5?

Wellington 100% matters. If Clem left Kenny behind at the gates and went in, that was a hugely character building moment (as well as a tr

• Episode 1 in the bar. It was on the table.

Have you found Banang yet?

• Can any Telltale Staff, tell me what life was like for Kate before the apocalypse?

Thanks for the applause!

I do believe the first two questions have been answered. As for the third, there's always a possibility Jesus will come back! We're certainly fans of the character (and his fantastic voice actor, Brandon Keener). Stay tuned!

Heel_Kid23 posted: »

Great episode, Telltale! I applaud you! Anyway, I have a few questions: -Were you expecting Gabe to have such a strong, negative respons

The Gabe question was covered by Chris on the first page (unless you're looking for more clarification): https://telltale.com/community/discussion/comment/2759848/#Comment_2759848

And as to episode five, @Alyssa_TTG covered it here: https://telltale.com/community/discussion/comment/2759793#Comment_2759793

Heel_Kid23 posted: »

Great episode, Telltale! I applaud you! Anyway, I have a few questions: -Were you expecting Gabe to have such a strong, negative respons

It's nice to be able to talk to y'alls directly, and thank you for the kind words about Episode 4.

So let's talk about Joan. I think you've nailed it in your description -- she is a smart, calculating leader who looks out for the needs of her people and will do what it takes to survive. However, like all of us, she can react emotionally rather than logically sometimes when things really bother her -- and when she found out that Javi, the person she had treated fairly (in her mind) by exiling, and then jailing, proceeded to steal a considerable number of weapons from her own armory in order to disrupt her vision of due process, she got a little mad. She felt betrayed. And she decided to teach Javi a lesson by turning the tables on him. Her belief was that by facing him down publicly, she would demonstrate once again that she had the best interests of Richmond and the NF in mind; however, it wasn't a well thought out move on her part and even her co-leader, Clint, questioned her judgment. And, well, you chose what happened next...

Feels really good to see you guys interacting with the forums regularly I was thoroughly enjoying Thicker Than Water, I loved the feel o

@ everyone asking about DLC and/or Season 4 and/or finale spoilers: c'mon, you know we have to give you a non-answer for that stuff ;)

• So my questions are,

1. What's Ava's ethnicity?

2. What did Joan & Clint do before the outbreak and do the have surnames?

3. Were David, Ava, Max, Badger and Lonnie in the military together?

4. What's Badgers real name?

5. How did Ava get her scar?

6. How many people live in Richmond?

7. What's fanny pack guys name?

• Thanks for replying! I just wanna clarify the Gabe question: when you created the character did you know if he was going to get a negative reaction from fans?

The Gabe question was covered by Chris on the first page (unless you're looking for more clarification): https://telltale.com/community/disc

• TELLTALE CAN YOU CONFIRM MY QUESTIONS PRETTY PLEASE?

1) What is Ava's ethnicity?

2) How old is Eleanor?

3) Did the New Frontier attack Wellington?

Thankyou for your time, and hope for a response.

• C SchroyerC Schroyer Telltale Alumni

Re: Clem's coat - Our little Clem is growing up! :) As seen in flashbacks, she held onto it for as long as she could by cutting off the sleeves and making it into a vest, but I think it got too small for her.

My personal favorite is "Above the Law." :)

Hey guys! I absolutely loved Thicker Than Water. Best of the Season so far. * What's your favorite episode of the Season? * How long do you think From The Gallows will be? * Any hope for a Season 4?

This discussion has been closed.