Episode 5 (SPOILER DISCUSSION)

Comments

• edited March 2018

The entire season is about that relationship with John and at the end he still turns evil no matter what so what's the point of trying to make him a friend ?

Tiffany killed the Riddler and she can be your partner but not John ?
    Anyway i still loved the vigilante path there were so many good moments with John and i won't change my choices.

Poor John ;(
    I don't really know how to feel i'm a little disappointed but i was so glad to see Bruce visiting John at the end so..Yeah great episode.

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

Lol the game gave more than enough reasons to show you that John is clearly crazy and deranged. Literally all scenes that he is in he does s

• The Vigilante path is much more action-packed but it truly feels like they just did not know what to do there, so the plot is kinda meh. Villain path is better in that regard, it feels like that`s how it should be. But not a lot of Batman in that route and also many characters kind of dissapear without a trace, without telling much what happened to them (Gordon, Catwoman), we do not even see them at the ending.
    Also only one after credits scene feels like the ending (If you went Vigilante, Said that you are not friends with John, Abandoned being Batman) where you stop being Batman and John breaks your photo. All the other ones feel like there is going to be a season 3. Now I would like more than anything for them to continue this series, but we know that Telltale rarely does that, only if the series is popular and I am not sure Batman is that popular in regards to sales. Just do not like abrupt endings with a trace of a cliffhanger.

• I liked the episode, but not as much as I expected to. As usual, the ending set this up for more story to build on, as usual with all Telltale endings. I think that's one of the reasons why this episode felt a bit lack luster, is that there's so many loose ends. Loose ends and little hints here and there that practically advertise a third season, and this is not counting the obvious Joker bits.

1. Freeze. He was ghost in this episode. From start to finish, not even a whisper. I'd hate to think lowering the temperature for Freeze was just a way of writing him out of the story. While the least interesting next to Bane, Freeze's technicality was a supreme highlight.

2. Selina. Kind of a shit move to not include her in the ending if you romance her. Last time you see her is either in a fight, or leave her to ground & pound Harley's face. Give me some closure dammit.

3. Harley. It's annoying when they introduce an interesting character arc, only to not follow through with it's possibilities. The whole thing with her dad was interesting to me and they followed through all the way to Ep 4. This episode was just a big slug fest with her included. On the vigilante path, when you arrest her, you can see the doubt in her face once you finish your conversation with her. And the villain path is straight ground & pound. We can assume she's in custody. Why this irks me is that every step of the way from Ep 2, to Ep 4, you can say something that she will "remember", but ultimate result to nothing but a fight.

4. Tiffany. I wouldn't call any of her endings a loose end. Rather I'd call them new beginnings for her character. Which is why a Season 3 is a must at this point Telltale.

5. Avesta. So, apparently, she's Iranian, or at least of Iranian descent, due to her Farsi language. That just opened another route for Season 3. Don't drop these al Ghul Easter eggs if you ain't gonna go through with it Telltale. Seriously. I've had it up to the sky with your bullshit teasing.

6. Alfred/Batman. Where do we go from there? I don't really know what to say about that.

Telltale has left a lot on the table for more story, which they seem to adore doing, and unless they have a Summer 2018 Update for us, I don't see a Season 3 happening, at least not soon. They'd have to finish one of the 2 upcoming big titles first (TWD, TWAU)

• I just watched the villian route on youtube and i will be playing vig route tommorow spoiler free but hell the villian route was twisted and dark the muisc was awsome the episode was really sad at the final battle with john and the alfred scence made me tear up overall the villian route was amazing the ending was pure garbage tho i hope the vig route can be on the villian route standers when i play it tommorow.

• Looks like they do intend to make a Season 3.

• More like leaving the door opened just in case. Telltale's latest word on the matter does not instill much optimism. You know, the talk about focusing on IPs where they have tighter creative control and all that.

I might be reading a bit too much into it but to me it means Batman won't be part of their future and that's extremely saddening.

Anyway, stellar season. My only real disappointment is the treatment of Catwoman. Her character was nowhere near as developed as it should have been. The John-Bruce relationship took far too much space in my opinion.

Zjaa6 posted: »

Looks like they do intend to make a Season 3.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited March 2018

Guess I'm one of the few people here who liked the vigilante route.

I had a feeling people would be disappointed about Joker snapping, but in all honesty, that's about the most sensible way things could have played out. John is too much of an unhinged dude to be able to adhere to Batman's code, let alone continue to be a hero. And quite frankly, I don't even see Joker's breakdown as being him becoming a 'bad guy' per se, it's more like a psychotic episode. He seems to genuinely come back to his senses at the end of the fight, acknowledging that he can't be a hero and that he lost himself. Combine that with the ending where Bruce visits him, and I'd find it hard to consider him having crossed over into being the bad guy. I see him as a literal tragic hero: tries to do what he believes is the right thing, but his lack of understanding and ability to control his emotions gets the better of him, and he realizes that being just like Batman isn't possible for a guy like him.

That aside, Catwoman probably could have gotten a bit more of a resolution in this path, although given that I sold her out in my game, I can't complain too much myself. Although I've always kinda seen Catwoman as a recurring character that comes and goes at her leisure. Seems like her role across both seasons has been an on-and-off relationship and alliance. And maybe I'm just crazy, but part of me likes the idea of having a character that just sorta enters and exits the story when she feels like it, even if it's as the expense of proper closure. Besides, she doesn't exactly seem like the closing type, anyways. She's the kind of person that'd rather slip away in the middle of the night than say goodbye to your face.

As for the villain path, like a lot of people have already said, it's an extremely good episode. And that final confrontation/fight with the Joker is fantastic; the fight, the music, Joker's "death", and so on. Most people will probably end up preferring this path, but my vote is still with vigilante, in all honesty.

Also, how about that difference in body count, huh? Vigilante Joker only gets like 13 people killed across the entire episode, while villain Joker goes and kills 100+ people in about 15 minutes.

• Yup same has me! BTW? On the Villain route where Waller visits you in Medical van? If you bring up Avesta in the conversation about letting her work for you? Waller lets us know that she will bring up to her (Yes I hope see her in S3)and Waller talks about how Avesta is fond of us and she said maybe we can talk to her about it over a streak diner she likes.

I CAN'T WAIT!!! (COME ON S3) I guess Romances start in S3

AnimalBoy posted: »

Definitely saving Avesta.

• Pretty much Here We Come!!! Avesta romance is still a possibility at this point.

Looks like they are saving romances for a Season 3.

• That is true. It never materialized during this season but the door is definitely open in the future.

strwar3 posted: »

Pretty much Here We Come!!! Avesta romance is still a possibility at this point.

• WITHOUT SPOILERS, could someone tell me if the vigilante route seems just as good as the villain route? Do all the side characters still get ample screentime in the vigilante route? Are the endings still satisfying? Thanks and no spoilers please.

• They definitely left that door open, it will happen if they do a Season 3.

Pretty much Here We Come!!! Avesta romance is still a possibility at this point.

• So not a lot of catwomen in this episode? I was hoping for more Salina.

• Season 3 is possible just got to wait and see.

• I would not read much into it, any smart team of writers want to leave things in place just in case.
    Having that said an hypothetical season 3 would be very difficult to set up if we go by the sheer number of variables at play here : whether or not you managed to stop Alfred from leaving, Tiffany leaving or staying in gotham, where you left things off with Selina, Avesta.
    I can't see how you could create two very different season 3 in this case. It would be a production nightmare.

Shadow2122 posted: »

Season 3 is possible just got to wait and see.

• I can't wait to see the modelswaps of that kiss scene in the villain episode

• Yeah, there is almost no way to make a new season. Only if they make it a season with a new cast, because things could be very different with Gordon too.

I would not read much into it, any smart team of writers want to leave things in place just in case. Having that said an hypothetical seas

• God, I can't be the only that notices that Alfred is leaving us anyway, right? When we choose to let go of Batman he says "I can stay for just one more night" or something along those lines, so he's definitely gone.

• What kissing scene?

I can't wait to see the modelswaps of that kiss scene in the villain episode

• That happens in the villain route only? Bummer. The vigilante version is my canon.

Yup same has me! BTW? On the Villain route where Waller visits you in Medical van? If you bring up Avesta in the conversation about letting

• The vigilante route goes down about how one would expect it to and characters play their roles for a time. But Joker dominates the screentime, as expected.

Side characters endings are riddled with loose ends or opened doors for a possible third season, but beyond that, you won't find much out of them if it isn't part of a quick time event fest of fight scenes unfortunately. It definitely felt like they tried to cram some screen time in for the side characters, but at the end of the day, that's what it was. A cramming, and said cramming was just a slug fest without much payoff to certain character arcs, which goes back to what I said about the loose ends or doors left open for another season. Though you'll find one Easter egg pertaining to one character on the rooftop before shit hits the fan.

I wouldn't say the endings are satisfying at all really, not in the Villain route, nor the Vigilante route because like the Villain route, all it does is leave the door open for more Batman if Telltale wants to go ahead with it. As different as both episodes are, the endings are where for the most part, the two converge, with slight variations.

WITHOUT SPOILERS, could someone tell me if the vigilante route seems just as good as the villain route? Do all the side characters still get ample screentime in the vigilante route? Are the endings still satisfying? Thanks and no spoilers please.

• I agree, there was never going to be a happy medium where Joker and Batman were ever going to get along full time. Batman has a code...he does not kill unless there is a very good reason. Joker kills...

Deltino posted: »

Guess I'm one of the few people here who liked the vigilante route. I had a feeling people would be disappointed about Joker snapping, bu

• With Harley and Joker

What kissing scene?

• I'd love to read codex entries after the season is over, there is surely some details that the camera did not make explicit. Also, relationship statuses could shed some light on how some characters have felt about us this episode.

• Waller hinted at taking Avesta on a date.

• Would love a next season where at some point the villain (like Ra`s for example) is winning and Bruce goes to Arkham to ask John an advice. It could be a perfect Hannibal Lector like scene. Dreams dreams...

• This is the scene:

What kissing scene?

• Yup also a later note? I looked at the Vigilante route and if you ask Avesta about working for us then she agrees on it or maybe she said she will look into it. Also I'm happy that Telltale gave a hint or a nod of a possibility of a Avesta romance in both routes of the Joker in this episode 5. I hope S3 happens I love this series that Telltale made.

They definitely left that door open, it will happen if they do a Season 3.

• Waller mention about Avesta fond us in the Villain route. But with the option of her working with us is both in the two different routes in this episode 5. I look at it,but the talk about Avesta fond of us in Villain route is pretty much interesting route to take.

That happens in the villain route only? Bummer. The vigilante version is my canon.

• Oh yeah I saw that too!

Waller hinted at taking Avesta on a date.

• edited March 2018

What a ride that was. I really feel like I need to vent myself after going through both Joker playthroughs.

What can I say, the episode was definitely good. You can't please everyone when it comes down to Telltale season finales, and there were definitely a few things that disappointed me. First off, as a few others have already noted, I definitely feel like the Villain path had a lot more work put into it. It just felt like Telltale didn't really know what to do with Vigilante John, so they had him turn into a villain anyway. But I can see why they did that - having two entirely different Jokers would be too hard to carry over to Season 3.

Catwoman. If there's one thing that I didn't expect to happen, it's for her to get shafted even harder than she was in S1E5. If in the first season her story arc at least got a conclusion, here it literally doesn't. In the Vigilante path she shows up at the roof, fights you a little and determinantly pulls you off the rebar, and that's it. She gets more screentime in the Villain path, but is ultimately forgotten by the end all the same. You get the option to leave her to Waller or have her record cleaned, but that's it. Just like in EP4, the romance subplot with Selina goes nowhere this episode. It's not hard to see why more and more people are taking a shine to Avesta, with all the romance hints being dropped as of late (hell, even Waller suggests you take her out for dinner), and the main love interest of the season being shafted the way she is.

Freeze isn't mentioned at all, and the choice to lower his temperature in the previous episode doesn't factor in either. If you thought the anti-serum fiasco was bad, this is probably even worse.

And finally, the more I think about it, the more Season 3 becomes unlikely. I honestly feel like Telltale bit off more than they can chew, and backed themselves into a corner with this one. The whole "this is our biggest and branchiest episode yet!" statement sounded amazing, but now that the episode is actually out, I feel like it might have, perhaps even intentionally, put a lid on this series. And that makes me feel literally devastated. Tiffany and Alfred can both be straight up written out of the story by the end - based on your choices it can literally say that their roles have been wrapped up in your story. Then, you can give up being Batman to not lose Alfred, plus there's all the other determinant choices and outcomes that feel like they would be pretty difficult to carry over to a potential 3rd season.

I have to say, Batman: The Enemy Within is, in my opinion, right up there with Telltale's best games. If any of the developers see this, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, every single one of you, no matter how small of a role you had, for helping make and contributing to making such a captivating and awesome Batman story. If this is truly the end for Telltale's Batman, then I will be really, really sad. But you know what they say: "Don't be sad that it's over, be happy that it happened".

I won't give up hope, though, and really wish to see at least one more season down the road. The potential here for more stories to tell is huge, and I hope the new Telltale CEO will acknowledge that.

(Loved the Frank cameo!)

• Do we learn who killed riddler?

• Yes. And the answer may surprise you.

zeke10 posted: »

Do we learn who killed riddler?

• Since TWD ANF left a lot to be desired, a lot of people have been gauging whether or not they would buy TFS upon the quality and success of Batman. So...what is my personal verdict for The Enemy Within?

...Pretty Good.

I'm not gonna say this is the BEST work telltale has done, but overall I WILL say that it's DEFINITELY a step in the right direction from a quality standpoint.

• edited March 2018

If there will be a 3rd season i want more catwoman. i don't care much about Avesta and would hate for her to become the main romance. Episode 5 doesn't look that good.

• Good thing is that I was wrong about Selina's outcomes : she nor dies nor leaves. It's up in the air, in the villain playthrough I did not get that she would leave Gotham, she even says something quite suggestive to Bruce before facing John.
    In the vigilante playthrough we have no idea, there is no closure there.

Hence why I'd like to see codex entries.

• True

I would not read much into it, any smart team of writers want to leave things in place just in case. Having that said an hypothetical seas

• I know I should not so easily give up to pessimism but I'd rather be surprised than be crushed by a different outcome. I'm going to make peace with the fact that we may never get a season 3 by reminding myself of how awesome season 1 and 2 are.

Thank you Telltale, thank you.

Shadow2122 posted: »

True

• Who? Spoil me daddy

GohanFGC posted: »

Yes. And the answer may surprise you.

• edited March 2018

It’s Tiffany who killed riddler

zeke10 posted: »

Who? Spoil me daddy

Sign in to comment in this discussion.