Episode 5 (SPOILER DISCUSSION)

Comments

• edited March 2018

Steam isn't the only platform that Batman: The Enemy Within is available on. Regardless, the number of copies sold isn't necessarily what influences Telltale Games' decision for making sequels. On Steam, Tales From The Borderlands sold more copies than Batman: The Telltale Series by over 500,000, and Telltale Games still hasn't made a sequel to the game.

@Deltino said:
    From what I remember, the first season didn't sell that great either, but it didn't stop them from doing The Enemy Within, so...

I agree with you completely. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Due to the sales not being great? It's doing ok but if steam is anything to go by only 70,000 sold then it's not looking good.

• makes sense. Companies like Broadabund and sierra eventually folded as they couldnt survive.

It will be sad to see Telltale Games suffer the same fate

Yeah then they had lay offs of staff. They need to mix things up and evolve make their games better. It just proves that improving your narr

• Still sold better than Enemy within soooo... things are pretty grim for Batman. Even though I would like a season 3 because they ended so many things abrubtly

Deltino posted: »

From what I remember, the first season didn't sell that great either, but it didn't stop them from doing The Enemy Within, so...

• Batman: The Telltale Series was released almost two years ago now. Batman: The Enemy Within, however, was released less than a year ago. Meaning that, it has had more time to sell copies. We also need to take other things into consideration, such as the people waiting to purchase the season on a sale and the other platforms that it's being sold on.

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

Still sold better than Enemy within soooo... things are pretty grim for Batman. Even though I would like a season 3 because they ended so many things abrubtly

• This moment is geuinely beautiful, she does not say anything because she is so confused. Bruce has the bad habbit of confessing his love in the worst possible moments.
    Just watch any vigilante playthrough where you romanced Catwoman.

Kaelthas posted: »

Oh my god, you can tell Selina you love her only in the vigilante version? I mean, is the only romantic scene you get from that path, while

• well i'm hoping the friendship is still there even though they did get into a fight at the Chemical Plant as a result of Joker and Batman having a disagreement about the use of lethal force and Killing. Mind you, Joker did kill 3 agents when they attempted to arrest him

I suppose it's somewhat open to interpretation, but I'd say yes. John seems both surprised and happy to see him, and Bruce looks at him and smiles. It would seem that the friendship's still there.

• bye the looks of the bruce visiting john ending does that mean there not enemies and its possible for him to be redeemed

• It was such a beautiful moment! Selina was pleasantly surprised by Bruce.

This moment is geuinely beautiful, she does not say anything because she is so confused. Bruce has the bad habbit of confessing his love in the worst possible moments. Just watch any vigilante playthrough where you romanced Catwoman.

• I fully agree with you it's a shame she does not appear at all after that. There is a flagrant lack of closure in both episode 5 paths (vigilante and villain).

It was such a beautiful moment! Selina was pleasantly surprised by Bruce.

• I agree with you completely. I was disappointed by there not being a scene involving Selina at the end of the episode. Especially if the decisions that you made throughout the season were mostly in favor of her.

I fully agree with you it's a shame she does not appear at all after that. There is a flagrant lack of closure in both episode 5 paths (vigilante and villain).

• Is not like that in the Villain path. After all they went through together, with the constant trust roller coaster of the season, it was like a super mega bonding of 25 minutes. Right before you leave to chase Joker she tells you to call her, meaning she's around and won't just leave this time.

A shame you can't say anything about love in that path though, but seeing how I got burned in S1 for saying it I won't risk it, I'll get by with the hug, a "you should know by know you can trust me" and the almost kiss thing like in Ep 2 from Season 1. Also sacrificing yourself for Selina is better than an "I luv u".

I fully agree with you it's a shame she does not appear at all after that. There is a flagrant lack of closure in both episode 5 paths (vigilante and villain).

• Yes it's a bit better in the villain playthrough. It's not like I expected much, it was clear the Bruce-John dynamic would take center statge, but i'm still a bit disappointed at how underdeveloped the Selina-Bruce relationship has been this season.
    She should have been in all episodes. She is such a great character.

We have established a season 3 is rather unlikely but there may be hope for a comic book followup somewhere down the line. I would like the Batman Telltale universe to grow further. What they have achieved with the lore is almost unparalleled.

Kaelthas posted: »

Is not like that in the Villain path. After all they went through together, with the constant trust roller coaster of the season, it was lik

• edited March 2018

Villain playthru was the best

• edited March 2018

Found it interesting that Harley wants to kill Joker at the end of both routes. Maybe they are setting her up for a return if they want to use her again she was one of the few characters who I felt had their character development thrown out the window. We also got barely anything from Freeze... consequences of too many villains.

Villain playthru was the best

• edited March 2018

I finished episode 5 at 5am... I played my canon villain route... It was a hell of a ride.

And now I have an existential crisis... I can not let those characters go, I need the announcement of Batman Season 3 here and now.

• edited March 2018

Did Telltale really think we are stupid enough to believe that Bruce survived that hammer smash on his head from Harley but Regina doesn't? I don't care if he wore a mask, that is, without a doubt, one of the worst plot armors that can distract anyone playing the game.

(Villain Path)

• There's actually 5 endings of Joker in Arkham as opposed to 4. Look up SwingPoynt to watch them all. Even though I chose the Vigilante path, the Villain path was just so much better. Both endings were awesome, don't get me wrong, but I love Joker's/John's relationship with Bruce, because no matter what anybody says, it is love, and it's in the Villain ending, but there's not that much in the Vigilante ending, except when he does actually say "be loved by you." It broke my heart. In the Villain ending, Bruce can even say "you broke my heart", and honestly, I wasn't sure Telltale were ever gonna go there, but they totally did, and I gotta give 'em props. Villain ending was amazing, with just how Joker looks, the colours, the dinner party, all of it! Still sad I couldn't save John in my Vigilante ending though... :(

• So is the "vigilante" route people are talking about when John simply starts out your bud? Because for me he went absolutely insane later on and clearly wasn't a hero...

Got on my nerves actually. I clearly felt like they changed some of their ideas about John as season 1 and 2 went on. I felt like John was keeping up an act but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore and I also thought it was originally supposed to be obvious John killed Ridler. They seemed to act on a lot of fan praise for the John bromance thing and Joker actually ending up being a good guy. Only for it all to end with it feeling like no matter what I couldn't do anything about him being totally evil.

• Just finished the episode with the villain route and I must say it was amazing. But the end kinda disappointed me. First of all we don't get the choice to face Joker as Batman or Bruce like in season 1 with lady arkham but we are forced to fight him only as a beaten up and heavily injured Bruce Wayne in the final fight. OK I can go with that but then it feels like a bad ending when you have either to give up being Batman or say goodbye to Alfred forever either way it is simply not a satisfying ending like that of the previous season. You either let the entire city down or you have to abandon Bruce's father figure. Also it kinda don't make much sense that Batman can simply decide not to be the Dark Knight anymore at this point, given as Joker knows his identity. So in the end the best option for me was to just say goodbye to Alfred. I heard that the vigilante's ending has the same ending in the very end. Will this mean a season 3 is impossible at this point? :( I was also kinda disappointed that Tiffany was the one who killed riddler, after all the trust I put in her and I tried to bring her to justice (Batman can't make exceptions for who break his rule even for a person he cares for) but she run away becoming an anti hero. Gordon also betrayed me selling Batman to Joker to know where his bombs were located and Alfred just decided to leave Bruce. The only things I liked about this ending are the fighting sequences and the script, catwoman and avesta being the only allies who didn't lie or let me down in the end and the way they implied that Bruce and Selina's relationship will continue and also Waller that was on my side more than Gordon in the end which was something I didn't expect, and also she won't reveal Batman's identity. What do you guys think for who already played episode 5? Did you like the ending or did you feel the same as me about it? There will ever be a season 3 now, given this kinda bad ending?

• I just played Episode 5 and I must say it is amazing. I could also be saying that as I am a fanboy but I do think it was an excellent episode. I got the Vigilante Playthrough and I struggled with some choices, especially the Alfred choice in particular. I gave up on being Batman and I told John that I did consider him as a friend that I cared about deeply. I also told Tiffany that I would be her mentor. I feel that these are the right choices suited to my sort of playstyle. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Telltale and everyone involved in the project for their outstanding efforts. It gives me great hope for The Walking Dead's Final Season :smile:

• edited March 2018

It actually sold pretty decently on console (540k sales according to this). This season though has a mere 60k however (though for some weird reason they don't seem to be counting European sales?).

But even despite all that, wasn't it mentioned in the most recent interview with the new CEO that they would start focusing more on IPs where they didn't have pre-established characters/tropes from that universe? Something along the lines of Telltale "shining more" when that wasn't that case?

• There probably will be a season 3 unless sales are abysmal or something.

Wasn't crazy about the ending either. It felt like it came out of nowhere that Alfred is suddenly giving us this ultimatum. I only played these episodes once when they released so maybe I am just not recalling some of this but that really felt like it came out of nowhere.

It also feels like a stupid choice because obviously if season 3 happens we aren't going to have the option to not be Batman in it. Also having Alfred not there at all or in it seems unlikely given TTG past. So Alfred is either going to be gone for everyone or back for everyone.

Didn't like the Tiffany thing either. Felt betrayed by the writing. Looked forward to train her as bat girl and then felt like I absolutely had to send her to jail because not to do so is hypocritical. What she did was first degree murder. I ended up forgiving her though because I couldn't send her away...

Selena wasn't around nearly as much as it felt like she should be.

This season could've used an episode 6.

Samuel2496 posted: »

Just finished the episode with the villain route and I must say it was amazing. But the end kinda disappointed me. First of all we don't get

• edited March 2018

Maybe a season 3 could be set some years after season 2 and for people who gave up on being Batman they will explain that after many years of not being Batman anymore, Bruce was forced to return the caped crusader to stop a huge threat like in the dark knight rises. For Alfred I don't know he might not be in season 3 in both cases if there is a big time skip giving his age. We might even see Bruce and Selina together with a son in a possible season 3, like in some comics since you can ask waller to clear Selina's past, hinting that they can have a future together in this way. The fact that joker becomes evil in both cases in the end might be an hint that he could appear again and that a season 3 can happen.

PHub07 posted: »

There probably will be a season 3 unless sales are abysmal or something. Wasn't crazy about the ending either. It felt like it came out o

• edited March 2018

Time skip is the most reasonable thing. Like, 3 years passed, you were Batman this whole time, or like in Dark Knight Rises you were missing. A new threat rises and Batman must stop it, so either Alfred returns, feeling sorry for abandoning you and feeling responsible for you, or he understands that you have to be Batman no mater what and let`s you put on the mask again (Or he could be gone in both scenarios, if you gave up Batman he just leqves after some time to not hold you from being Batman since that is clearly what you want). Tiffany is not in the season, she is operating in Bludhaven (like Nightwing in the comics) if you chose to be her mentor, or just left the city if she is with Agency or you tried to arrest her. Gordon is retired either from being crippled, from wanting to spend more time with his family or because you forced him to. New comissioner is Montoya, maybe she will finally have a bigger role. Apart from that the cast would be entirely new. Also they should use Catwoman and Avesta, but only if it serves the plot. If not, just a few cameos like getting a message from either of them about dinner or something if you acknowledge that you are in love with one of them.
    This could be it. I would play that, despite how many corners Telltale have to cut to make a new season. Just bring Kent Mudle and his team that worked on the first 2 seasons to make a new one and it will be perfect!

• I think when it said Alfred's part of your story is over it mean't it. You better hope your in good with Selina, Avesta or Tiffany otherwise you're on your own.

Time skip is the most reasonable thing. Like, 3 years passed, you were Batman this whole time, or like in Dark Knight Rises you were missing

• Then it basically means Alfred will not be in the next season, if you gave up Batman he would leave either way so that you can become Batman again. There is no other way with Telltale regarding major characters. He will either be in the next season regardless or he won`t be regardless.

I think when it said Alfred's part of your story is over it mean't it. You better hope your in good with Selina, Avesta or Tiffany otherwise you're on your own.

• I loved this episode so much, it's been some time since I've actually struggled with decisions, it hurt seeing Joker wanting to be good but he can't, Bruce telling Selina he loved her as though he was going to die and then having to say goodbye to Alfred. Honestly I wouldn't mind if season 3 either just had Batman or made Tiffany sidekick and Alfred stay regardless.

• Regina was hit right in the face, by Harley's hammer while Bruce probably just suffered a concussion from her hammer, and it still injured and weakened him considerably as we saw later when he fought Joker's thugs he wasn't in his best shape.

AronDracula posted: »

Did Telltale really think we are stupid enough to believe that Bruce survived that hammer smash on his head from Harley but Regina doesn't?

• I have a feeling John will meet Harvey in Arkham if the story continues.

• edited March 2018

I agree they can also use flashbacks to make somehow all the endings converge in a new story that has no inconcistencies with the many different choices like they did in the season 3 of the walking dead. Regardless of what your choices were and with who you chose to stay in season 2, clementine will still be alone at the start of season 3 because in each case something happened that forced her to end up like that, so I can easily see telltale doing something similar with Batman if they want to make a season 3. Otherwise what was the point of that post credit cutscene with the joker in episode 5 if telltale didn't want to do a season 3?

Then it basically means Alfred will not be in the next season, if you gave up Batman he would leave either way so that you can become Batman

• Because that`s what Telltale always does. Each of their games end this way, so that if they can, they will make another one. There are games that sufferd from it, like Tales From The Borderlands, which ended on a cliffhanger and was never continued, same with Game Of Thrones and Wolf Among Us (even though we do get a new season, because the company was trying to save itself so they were to get back on their best attempt at these games). It is just the way it is and it is stupid, because there is a fat chance that there will not be a season 3 of Batman and we were left with an abrupt ending. I hope that things changed and they left things abrupt because the intend to continue the series, but something tells me it is not the case.

I agree they can also use flashbacks to make somehow all the endings converge in a new story that has no inconcistencies with the many diffe

• By the way, could anyone who already played send some stats here? I would like to see them very much.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

I think Tales and Wolf are fair enough. Borderlands has a penchant of not really showing players what's inside the vaults, and Wolf has the standard noir "things are not as they seem/more questions than answers" ending you'd expect from the genre. Game of Thrones definitely has a ton of loose ends though, I'll give you that one.

Because that`s what Telltale always does. Each of their games end this way, so that if they can, they will make another one. There are games

• Still, that hammer is heavy and Harley swung it in the same way she did to Regina. That should have definitely killed him.

Regina was hit right in the face, by Harley's hammer while Bruce probably just suffered a concussion from her hammer, and it still injured and weakened him considerably as we saw later when he fought Joker's thugs he wasn't in his best shape.

• I hope Season 3 won't happen cause nobody wants it to be treated like A New Frontier, right?

• Hey, it's good to see you back! You should chime in at the forums more frequently, it's always a pleasure to read your opinions.

Steam isn't the only platform that Batman: The Enemy Within is available on. Regardless, the number of copies sold isn't necessarily what in

• If you don`t follow Nerissa at the end then the ending is pretty good, it is noir after all. But if you do, it is not an ending at all in my opinion. Tales still has a cliffhanger with them ending it the way they did in my opinion, bul lets agree to disagree. And Game of Thrones speaks for itself yeah. With Batman here I think a few endings can be considired pretty final that they could end the series that they, but some are really saying there is more to it (like John burning the doll and talking about the future, or Bruce visiting John etc.).

I think Tales and Wolf are fair enough. Borderlands has a penchant of not really showing players what's inside the vaults, and Wolf has the

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Don't forget that Regina was also in the process of dying horrifically from the virus. If anything, Harley hitting her was practically a mercy kill.

Still, that hammer is heavy and Harley swung it in the same way she did to Regina. That should have definitely killed him.

• Regina died because of the virus, not Harley's hammer.

Still, that hammer is heavy and Harley swung it in the same way she did to Regina. That should have definitely killed him.

• If there is no s3 the episode 5 ending has really failed in my opinion, there is soo much left we need to know about and especially Selina... i mean you are able to say that you love her and there is no screen time of her anymore? If there will be a s3 I dont mind...

This whole Batman series is the best Telltale made, whole s1 and s2 are masterpieces (except what i wrote above :D )

Sign in to comment in this discussion.