The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Good news for the next race:
    ScummVM is getting an OpenGL renderer as part of the Google Summer of Code. Procaster can hook into OpenGL!

I've also managed to get Procaster too hook into EMI. Not sure if it will work for windowed mode (as if you resolution patched EMI, the cutscenes play in the top corner), but you need to set the game to use OpenGL in the actual launcher, not the Quick 'n' Easy one. Good tip for Manda's fun run if it actually works.
  • edited July 2010
    Good news, the MonkeyIslandPostRace channel works for me. When should I broadcast MI2 SE?
  • edited July 2010
    Nobody seems to be taking the line of "I would like the runs to be at this time", so can I suggest a time of 9/10PM GMT onwards for the start point of each run?
    Does any country have a problem with that? I picked it cos of appropriateness with US and UK.
  • edited July 2010
    That'd be 3/4 pm here, so I think I'd be fine with that once my game comes up. That'd be around 8 am for our Australian friends, though, so I don't know if we can really standardize it that way. And I'm not totally certain, but I believe we have one or two Australians participating. Of course, who knows, maybe Ozzie's up for getting up to play Narwhal at 8 am.

Also, Escape takes almost four hours to play through when going as fast as possible, and it'll take a quite a bit longer for a run like this, so I'm not sure if Manda will be up for starting it so late over in Germany.

You know, it'd probably be helpful to have a list of what time zone everyone participating is in. Mine's MDT/GMT-6.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm playing SoMI, if anyone wants to come watch...

http://livestream.com/monkeyislandpostrace
  • edited July 2010
    That'd be 3/4 pm here, so I think I'd be fine with that once my game comes up. That'd be around 8 am for our Australian friends, though, so I don't know if we can really standardize it that way. And I'm not totally certain, but I believe we have one or two Australians participating. Of course, who knows, maybe Ozzie's up for getting up to play Narwhal at 8 am.

Also, Escape takes almost four hours to play through when going as fast as possible, and it'll take a quite a bit longer for a run like this, so I'm not sure if Manda will be up for starting it so late over in Germany.

You know, it'd probably be helpful to have a list of what time zone everyone participating is in. Mine's MDT/GMT-6.

Well, I do have school, but yeah I get up at around 7:00am on weekends anyway. Of course I'd be able to play Narwhal then.
  • edited July 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    Good news for the next race:
    ScummVM is getting an OpenGL renderer as part of the Google Summer of Code. Procaster can hook into OpenGL!

I've also managed to get Procaster too hook into EMI. Not sure if it will work for windowed mode (as if you resolution patched EMI, the cutscenes play in the top corner), but you need to set the game to use OpenGL in the actual launcher, not the Quick 'n' Easy one. Good tip for Manda's fun run if it actually works.

I had a go with EMI, I can get Procaster to hook into EMI in fullscreen but not windowed.
  • edited July 2010
    Sorry for the doube post, but is there a patch that I missed to get EMI to run in windowed without problems? I can run in windowed but have a lot of problems, and for the last race did everyone streaming play EMI windowed or did some just stream it in full screen?
  • edited July 2010
    I streamed it windowed and used pre-made save files to bypass the two major problems windowed mode gives me. Full screen 4:3 games bug me on my widescreen monitor and I'm too lazy to push buttons on it to make it display in 4:3.
  • edited July 2010
    I streamed it windowed and used pre-made save files to bypass the two major problems windowed mode gives me. Full screen 4:3 games bug me on my widescreen monitor and I'm too lazy to push buttons on it to make it display in 4:3.

too lazy?

wow. it's so easy, a three-headed-monkey can do it.
    Chyron8472 wrote:

Streched:
    hpim0736.jpg

Pillarboxed:
    hpim0737.jpg

My monitor won't let me change this setting when at my Windows desktop because the video card's resolution is normally set to the monitor's native resolution (1440x900). It's only when it is set to a different resolution (as such when playing CoMI fullscreen) that I can change this.
  • edited July 2010
    Really, I don't even remember which submenu the setting is under, and I really don't feel like going through them to find it. Besides, the game looks enough like ass in windowed mode, and stretching it to full screen only makes that worse.
  • edited July 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    too lazy?

wow. it's so easy, a three-headed-monkey can do it.

Chyron, how did you stream yours while in fullscreen?
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't stream in fullscreen. I was only saying it's really easy to correct the aspect ratio using buttons on a monitor.
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't stream in fullscreen. I was only saying it's really easy to correct the aspect ratio using buttons on a monitor.

oh ok, thanks,
  • edited July 2010
    Just been checking tomi in windowed, I checked some of the streams from the race and on one of them (i think it was Manda's) the resolution of the game was set to 800x600 and when in windowed it was a widescreen window.

I cant get a widescreen window if I set my game to 800x600, instead I get a 4:3 type window with black bars on top and bottom of the window.

The closest resolution to 800x600 that I can get a widescreen window with is 848x480, is it my graphics card that is not allowing me to have a widescreen window for a game resolution of 800x600?
  • edited July 2010
    So when do the fun runs start?
  • edited July 2010
    I'ma make an executive decision here. Chyron, are you good with doing it at 9 pm GMT on Monday?
  • edited July 2010
    sure.
  • edited July 2010
    Wow, looks like I missed a lot of cool stuff. Well, it was fun watching those few I had time for. Congratulations to everyone who finished! I hope to turn up at some of the extra playthroughs.
  • edited July 2010
    harald wrote: »
    Wow, looks like I missed a lot of cool stuff. Well, it was fun watching those few I had time for. Congratulations to everyone who finished! I hope to turn up at some of the extra playthroughs.

You didn't miss this :D
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    I managed to compile the OpenGL build of ScummVM.

http://www.livestream.com/teafailing/video?clipId=pla_ef0e3b2a-b4d9-4673-bf25-1d5c16a1c495&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Here's Procaster plugged into Curse of Monkey Island! How awesome is that?
  • edited July 2010
    Do want! How does it work?
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Do want! How does it work?

It's not out yet, and it's still very buggy (Broken Sword II is completely unplayable, for example). It will be with ScummVM 1.2.0, you can checkout the gsoc2010-opengl branch and compile it in Visual Studio, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. It's not worth the effort because, at the moment, it's more unstable than the products of the Large Hadron Collider.

Still, it should be ready by the end of the summer and then it will be moved into the main ScummVM branch.
  • edited July 2010
    Sounds promising. I'm looking forward to it.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Also - it has proper Resolution support. I can tell you that Curse of Monkey Island in 1024x768 is awesome.
  • edited July 2010
    When are you going to do Revenge, Blooglspash?
  • edited August 2010
    I'm doing Revenge Special Edition on Wednesday, August 3rd 7:00 P.M GMT at www.livestream.com/monkeyislandpostrace
  • edited August 2010
    But Wednesday is August 4th. Unless you mean Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011.
  • edited August 2010
    Damn, I won't be able to watch coz thats about 5 am for me.
  • edited August 2010
    Odds are I won't get to either. I'm almost definitely going to miss Chyron's Secret run tomorrow. Turns out that the end of my dad's two week vacation doesn't mean the end of painting the house. We ran out of time, so I get to continue working until it's done.

So I guess I'll be announcing my Curse run time when I finish painting.
  • edited August 2010
    I will be playing The Secret of Monkey Island today, starting at 9pm GMT

That is to say, I am in US Central Daylight Time (GMT-5), so therefore will start here at 4pm here where I'm at. During my run, I will have to take a break at about 5pm CDT (10pm GMT) and will return about an hour later. Sorry, it can't be helped.

Everyone that can, come and watch please. I'm going to work the Stump Joke form the PC EGA version into it, for those who have never seen it before.
  • edited August 2010
    also, just to clarify... are we supposed to go through everything in the game, like talk to everyone about everything, or are we allowed to do whatever we want in that we can take as little or as long as we want?

edit: nvm, I saw this:
    It's going to be done on Livestream. All the participants will be taking their time, hitting all the jokes, and taking audience requests.
  • edited August 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Damn, I won't be able to watch coz thats about 5 am for me.

I can change the time. What's a good GMT time for you?
  • edited August 2010
    But Wednesday is August 4th. Unless you mean Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011.

I meant Tuesday, sorry!
  • edited August 2010
    I will be playing The Secret of Monkey Island today, starting at 9pm GMT

That is to say, I am in US Central Daylight Time (GMT-5), so therefore will start here at 4pm here where I'm at. During my run, I will have to take a break at about 5pm CDT (10pm GMT) and will return about an hour later. Sorry, it can't be helped.

Everyone that can, come and watch please. I'm going to work the Stump Joke form the PC EGA version into it, for those who have never seen it before.

CDT is -6.
  • edited August 2010
    I can change the time. What's a good GMT time for you?

I wouldn't worry about changing the time, since I need to go to TAFE the only good time for me would be 12 hours later than the time you planned so about 7 am GMT.
  • edited August 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about changing the time, since I need to go to TAFE the only good time for me would be 12 hours later than the time you planned so about 7 am GMT.

I'd be staying up all night if I started then, never mind.
  • edited August 2010
    CDT is -6.

No. CST (Central STANDARD Time) is GMT-6

Central DAYLIGHT Time is GMT-6 +1 for Daylight Savings Time = GMT-5.

Greenwich Mean Time is not affected by Daylight Savings Time. The time zones around it are.

Or... it is 3:53pm GMT right now.
    While it is 10:53am CDT right here where I am now.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=402

75264898.png

EDIT: I will be starting my SoMI run in 5 hours, for those of you confused.

• edited August 2010
    EDIT: I will be starting my SoMI run in 5 hours, for those of you confused.

Oh, good. I had the daylight savings thing messed up too, so I thought I'd still be working when you started, but instead I'll be just getting home!
  • edited August 2010
    I will be starting my SoMI fun run in 1 hour and 22 minutes.

I also have a mic and can therefore respond audibly to chat.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.