Monkey Island DVD Never Arriving? [it's shipping now]

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    Is this another one of your nefarious plans involving Yare?
    If it's a plan, the plotting seems pretty threadbare.

I mean:

Step 1: Offer Sex
    Step 2: Get Yare(hopefully), maybe other male Telltale staff

I mean, the gnome's plan for profit was more complex than this.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Yes. I'm surprised you had to ask.

Well it was pretty obvious, I was just making sure.
  • edited May 2010
    People over-complicate stuff.
    Although you forgot "bribe them with plushes that may or may not be stuffed with aphrodisiacs".
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    People over-complicate stuff.
    Although you forgot "bribe them with plushes that may or may not be stuffed with aphrodisiacs".

If the aphrodisiacs are in the plushes, how do they take effect? Are they based on scent or something? And what happens if they start working before you get there? Actually, I can guess, and it involves the DVD release being pushed even further back...
  • edited May 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    If the aphrodisiacs are in the plushes, how do they take effect? Are they based on scent or something? And what happens if they start working before you get there? Actually, I can guess, and it involves the DVD release being pushed even further back...

Well, the two "problems" you raised are actually related!
    See, since they're inside the plushes, they're not working now. However, when I get there, I know exactly how to make them start working. Just need to ask if they'll let me take a look at the plushes so I can show them something...
    And here you have it. Now I need to work on the step of my plan that involves actually getting there, but Lena hasn't answered my latest PM yet so I'm waiting.
  • edited May 2010
    The Voodoo cards said April 10 yeah, but the DVD always said Spring.

Although I agree with the Fury about the Earl Boen version update...
  • edited May 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    It's like the Earl Boen redub. Telltale said it would be on PC in a few weeks.. That was ages ago. And yet people don't criticise Telltale for their obvious faults, they defend them, saying Telltale is the best game company ever and anyone who says otherwise is the devil incarnate.

You're honestly that upset that they're not prioritizing a minor update to a single episode of the series wherein a handful of lines remain to be heard in Earl Boen's voice? How is that an "obvious fault" of Telltale's? This must be the same "obvious fault" that caused them to listen to the fans and get Earl Boen to re-record chapter 1's lines later as well as chapter 4 and 5.

IMO, this is nothing to be going mental about, as Lechuck barely has that many lines in episode 1 as is, not to mention that you can hear several of them in the trailer.

I wish they had just not even mentioned Earl being in chapter 1 until the DVD release, so there wouldn't be all this incessant whining about such trivial crap.
    In the future, I'm just gonna get the games off steam.

So, because of trivial minor grievances about some perceived deception against you, you're going to pay the same exact price, but with less benefits in the long run? Good luck with that.
  • edited May 2010
    I said it once and I'll say it again:
    All of this extra mile stuff is the reason that I get angry and defensive when people start to attack Telltale, like during the Monkey Island shipping fiasco. If Telltale says they're doing their best for us, you know they're giving 150%, and to imply or accuse otherwise is insulting, because I can guarantee you that no other company in the industry treats its customers so well.

Call people like me a cult if you will, but what it boils down to is that Telltale is more deeply connected to its fans than any other game company, and it suffers for it because people start expecting things. This is a small company going the extra mile and doing a physical release of the game with all sorts of bonus features, not charging you anything more than shipping for it, and all this while trying to work on another game at the same time, and you're complaining that they're not doing it fast enough?

I have a word for people like you. Veruca.
  • edited May 2010
    I think the DVD might ship on the 18th, because that's probably when the Interloper will go out, and they need more stuff to say than just "Tomb of Sammun-Mak out". Either that, or they will announce when they ship in the Interloper.
  • edited May 2010
    16 more days before shipping will start.
    16 before it will ship.
    Sleep a night, don't let bugs bite.
    15 more days before shipping will start...
  • edited May 2010
    Joop wrote: »
    16 more days before shipping will start.
    16 before it will ship.
    Sleep a night, don't let bugs bite.
    15 more days before shipping will start...

You're going off another "Estimate". A telltale staff member said they're shipping at the end of may.

Telltale staff also said they're shipping end of april.

If you're gonna worship telltale like this, and defend their delays, then expect more in the future.
  • edited May 2010
    You're going off another "Estimate". A telltale staff member said they're shipping at the end of may.

Telltale staff also said they're shipping end of april.

If you're gonna worship telltale like this, and defend their delays, then expect more in the future.

There's a difference between worshipping them and going psychotic over trivial delays. Most people, it turns out, aren't so obsessed with the release date that they flip out on internet message boards about it, especially when it's pretty much understood that when you pre-order something, the release date is always subject to change.
  • edited May 2010
    Oooooooh, BURN!
  • edited May 2010
    I worship delays!
    Please Telltale, throw in another month... for my enjoyment...
    Pweaasee...
  • edited May 2010
    You just want to stretch your song! :p
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    This must be the same "obvious fault" that caused them to listen to the fans and get Earl Boen to re-record chapter 1's lines later as well as chapter 4 and 5.

No kidding. They didn't have to re-record the dialogue at all. They chose to do that because it was something their customers wanted. Complaining about how long it takes is just looking a gift horse in the mouth.
  • edited May 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I'ma start counting the days.

At most 18 17 16 more days for them to start shipping.
  • edited May 2010
    bitch bitch bitch

You know how you just say the same thing over and over again without listening to anyone else's counterpoints?

It really does nothing for your credibility.
  • edited May 2010
    I can wait for the DVD, it’s not like I can’t play the games again without it. I just want my drinking vessel so I can drink some grog! Mmmm grog!!!!!
  • edited May 2010
    it's pretty much understood that when you pre-order something, the release date is always subject to change.

The only thing listed as pre-order on the store is the DVD. There was nothing listed on the other items, and there still isn't.

Telltale just needs to send users more information. They barely tell us anything, such as progress with coding Earl Boen or the DVD's. Bigger companies don't communicate with their members as much as Telltale, but the info the post is useful and they meet their deadlines. When they don't, they post a reason.
  • edited May 2010
    If it was anyone but Telltale I would have asked for my money back by now. Telltale has a loyal fan base that they worked hard to build but stuff like this does damage that loyalty. I love Telltale but I won’t pre-order anything like this again unless is has a solid release date.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Bigger companies don't communicate with their members as much as Telltale, but the info the post is useful and they meet their deadlines. When they don't, they post a reason.

Fury's right, Telltale! Why won't you post a reason why you have not missed your deadline yet?
  • edited May 2010
    The only thing listed as pre-order on the store is the DVD. There was nothing listed on the other items, and there still isn't.

Telltale just needs to send users more information. They barely tell us anything, such as progress with coding Earl Boen or the DVD's. Bigger companies don't communicate with their members as much as Telltale, but the info the post is useful and they meet their deadlines. When they don't, they post a reason.

Exactly, and they haven't missed their deadline of Spring, so what is your gripe? They gave an estimate, an ESTIMATE (in other words when they thought it MIGHT be done but far from set in stone) of April. So their estimate was a little off, to go so far as to say they missed their deadline is absurd and you're only getting on everyone's (including Telltale's) nerves to continually gripe and complain about how they've missed a deadline they haven't.
  • edited May 2010
    Steky wrote: »
    If it was anyone but Telltale I would have asked for my money back by now. Telltale has a loyal fan base that they worked hard to build but stuff like this does damage that loyalty. I love Telltale but I won’t pre-order anything like this again unless is has a solid release date.

Then you'll never get any exclusives for pre-ordering from Telltale, simple as that. When developing something and trying to please a company as fussy as LA it's nearly impossible to set in stone an exact date until days before it is done. You and Fury just need to take a chill pill and realize there are far more important in life than having something instantaneously. The current instant-gratification society has only served to shorten people's patience and increase negativity. It's not like you can't already play the game, you have the downloads to hold you over until the disc comes.
  • edited May 2010
    They have no idea exactly when the products will be done being manufactured when they open up pre-orders. They allow pre-orders basically as soon as they are getting into the manufacturing process, whereas most commercial games that you guys are referring to allow pre-orders up to 2 years in advance sometimes, and these bigger publishers set a release date for the game and the disc simultaneously.

TTG operate differently, because they pretty much don't even start on the DVD until the entire season is released, and then once they finish the disc itself, they will start letting us pre-order it, but that doesn't mean that the discs will just magically spawn at the factory the next day. There is a lot more that goes into producing a physical product than just saying "We want this many of them by tomorrow".

I will say again: Pre-order does not guarantee any kind of street date. If you want a street date when you pre-order, cool, but until they say "IT IS COMING OUT ON THIS EXACT DATE", you are looking at an estimate.

PS: The merchandise was all back-ordered the second it hit the store, so if you didn't want to order something that would be back-ordered, again, wait until it is in-stock. Would you honestly say that you'd have much rather sat around wondering if it would be in-stock soon than already be on the short list of people who will be getting it ASAP? I think not.
  • edited May 2010
    I still remember the KOTOR2 patches.

1.0b required 3 or 4 MONTHS(!) to pass LA inspection, and still was shipping with a major gamestopping bug.
    It never got officially fixed, so there are still people posting about that one on the official boards asking for help.

And then it took 9 MONTHS(!) to ship the HQ music/movie patches. Not even official, but hosted on Nvidia's site.

Compared to that, LA puts out fast work here.
  • edited May 2010
    Is it pathetic that I never ordered mine yet? Did people still not get a copy yet? Can some one update me, thanks.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Is it pathetic that I never ordered mine yet? Did people still not get a copy yet? Can some one update me, thanks.
    I wouldn't say pathetic, but a little odd considering how active you were on the forums back in the day (but then again, if I remember well, it took you a long time to buy the downloadable episodes as well).
    Other than that, people did not get a copy yet because the game has not started shipping.
    The current estimates are that the DVD will start shipping before the end of May.
  • edited May 2010
    I got Email said that I should get mine by end of May sooooooo I will wait for another 2 weeks
  • edited May 2010
    I can't wait to get my poster print! I'm going to go out and buy a frame for it the day it arrives. :D
  • edited May 2010
    is it just me or has the DVD's cover art been updated? (see store) Maybe this could mean something...
  • edited May 2010
    Chris91 wrote: »
    is it just me or has the DVD's cover art been updated? (see store) Maybe this could mean something...

You know what, I think it might have been. I don't remember the cover having a purple background before (referring the the regular cover, not the Purcell cover).
  • edited May 2010
    I sense the approach of the ban hammer...
    Big Whoop!!
    Wow what a tetchy lot! Whats the big deal? People can have a bitch if they want. We have paid for this stuff

Now BIG HUG everyone!!
  • edited May 2010
    Now BIG HUG everyone!!

Best comment in this entire thread. I think this is the only non-mean/offensive/insulting/complaining post in the whole thread.
  • edited May 2010
    Now BIG HUG everyone!!

I've not posted in this thread before, but I have been following it. So can I join the hug...
  • edited May 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I've not posted in this thread before, but I have been following it. So can I join the hug...

LOL!! Yep sure hugs all round!! Is there nothing a hug cant fix? That and also beer:p
  • edited May 2010
    Big Whoop!!
    Wow what a tetchy lot! Whats the big deal? People can have a bitch if they want. We have paid for this stuff

Now BIG HUG everyone!!

When I said that, it was because Fury had created another account called "NotFury" and said Fury was the only voice of reason here. Generally that behavior's frowned upon here.

Still, I'm surprised to see that instead of just banning him, whichever admin handled it actually deleted NotFury's post and mine and Giant Tope's responses.
  • edited May 2010
    When I said that, it was because Fury had created another account called "NotFury" and said Fury was the only voice of reason here. Generally that behavior's frowned upon here.

Still, I'm surprised to see that instead of just banning him, whichever admin handled it actually deleted NotFury's post and mine and Giant Tope's responses.

Ah I see, sorry Guru. This thread just makes no sense now
  • edited May 2010

AFAIK, they deleted the entire NotFury account.
  • edited May 2010
    AFAIK, they deleted the entire NotFury account.

It was just my extra account that had Sam and Max Series 1. I made it ages ago as well as another one for homestar runner so I could get em all half price with the treasure hunt.

I do think it's surprising though, admins are reading this thread. They're just not saying anything...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.