Monkey Island DVD Never Arriving? [it's shipping now]

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    *facepalm* how many times has this been asked an answered in this thread?
    iW6W9.jpg

Isn’t that just an ad someone was sent? Like you said a bit of info on whether it really will start shipping by the end of May, wouldn’t be that hard. Why can’t they update the information on the forum?
  • edited May 2010
    "Is on track to ship by the end of the month (May)" is generally a term meaning that unless something goes horribly wrong, it's going to happen.
  • edited May 2010
    Steky wrote: »
    Isn’t that just an ad someone was sent? Like you said a bit of info on whether it really will start shipping by the end of May, wouldn’t be that hard. Why can’t they update the information on the forum?
    nikasaur wrote: »
    As for the Tales of Monkey Island items, they are still being produced and you'll get a shipping confirmation when they go out! The order was a pre-order for when they become available, we're estimating in May.

Also, the image above was directly taken from an email Telltale sent out.
  • edited May 2010
    Why can’t they update the information on the forum?

This is why people are annoyed. They feel like they're being left in the dark on what the holdup is.
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    "Is on track to ship by the end of the month (May)" is generally a term meaning that unless something goes horribly wrong, it's going to happen.

As the end of the month approaches, people are becoming more anxious because it didn't ship in April either.

For all of you who say "by the end of Spring" is a proper release date, I would have you know that no retail stores or distributors would accept such a vague deadline in receiving merchandise, so it would make sense that TTG ought to be more timely to get the disc out other than when they damn well please. It's not unreasonable to hold TTG to the same expectation even if they are shipping directly to the consumer.

Don't get me wrong. I am waiting patiently, but I do understand people's frustrations in waiting for an undetermined date that may or may not be up to 11 days away.
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Also, the image above was directly taken from an email Telltale sent out.
    That was sent out a month ago. Surely if they were on track, they would have told use by now. At least update the information on the forum.
    I bet even if they have the DVD ready by the end of the month all the goodies won’t be and it will be another month.

I’m getting sick of posting about this myself. But I just want to make a point and feel people are being dicks about it
  • edited May 2010
    That was sent out a month ago. Surely if they were on track, they would have told use by now. At least update the information on the forum.
    I bet even if they have the DVD ready by the end of the month all the goodies won’t be and it will be another month.

It was sent on the 6th, hardly a month ago.

They also have stated that all the merch and goodies will be out at roughly the same time as the DVD, which makes sense considering they won't release the standard DVD until the deluxe DVD is finished.
  • edited May 2010
    This is why people are annoyed. They feel like they're being left in the dark on what the holdup is.

As the end of the month approaches, people are becoming more anxious because it didn't ship in April either.

For all of you who say "by the end of Spring" is a proper release date, I would have you know that no retail stores or distributors would accept such a vague deadline in receiving merchandise, so it would make sense that TTG ought to be more timely to get the disc out other than when they damn well please. It's not unreasonable to hold TTG to the same expectation even if they are shipping directly to the consumer.

Don't get me wrong. I am waiting patiently, but I do understand people's frustrations in waiting for an undetermined date that may or may not be up to 11 days away.
    Thats the point Im trying to make but you done alot better job.

Its hard when you get people telling you, your a retard of saying so:rolleyes:
  • edited May 2010

Nintendo:
    Back in 2008, I pre-ordered Super Smash Brothers Brawl at my local Gamestop. At the time that I pre-ordered, the release date had been OFFICIALLY announced as February 10, 2008. However, less than a month before this date, it was delayed to March 9th, 2008.

Maxis/EA:
    Last year, I pre-ordered The Sims 3 at the same Gamestop. At the time of this pre-order, the release date had been OFFICIALLY announced as February 20th, 2009. However, less than a month before this date, it was delayed to June 2nd, 2009.

In both of these instances, the most information that was released was "working out bugs."

This happens all the time from bigger name companies. And the "retail store and distributors" that you speak of would probably rather have "we'll have these in late spring" rather than spending all the money advertising one date that will possibly be changed.

This was a pre-order, and such delays are subject to happen with pre-orders.
  • edited May 2010

They don't set the deadlines, they send it to manufacturing and it's done when it's done, and when it's done, it's shipped. If they set an arbitrary deadline just for the sake of having a deadline, we'd likely end up waiting even longer to receive the product. I would much rather have a vague deadline and the guarantee that the minute it's ready to ship it's being shipped than force them to pin down an exact date that might be weeks later than they could start shipping them.

And the notion that Telltale are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs and not giving a damn when it comes out is utterly ridiculous. You think they want to make us wait? Or that they enjoy not being able to deliver the product to us? I can almost guarantee you that they are as anxious for us to receive the DVD as we are.
  • edited May 2010
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    GuruAngry.jpg

Bonus points if anyone can spot what's wrong with the screenshot. Super points if you can figure out why an undoctored screenshot would look like that.

Is it that you have the fairy ocarina for some reason even though the guru is only angry when you're an adult? I can't see anything else. Can't figure out why either, except gamesharking.

Sorry to leave it hanging for 10 hours, but I went to bed. Yes, that's exactly it. I took the screenshot using the OoT debug ROM, which loads you in with that inventory no matter what age or location you choose to enter into the game. I mainly use it so I can use free camera mode and do stuff like this, but it's also quite useful for instantly going to any point in the game for a screenshot.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't like being lost in the dark when it comes to most anything. I hate it when people keep secrets from me. However, despite not giving a specific date, I've felt comfortable with Telltale because of their track record. They haven't given a specific date of when a game was going to come out for a while now other than the ubiquitous "Monthly Episodes!" until about a week or two prior to the game's release. The only time I can recall a game hadn't come out the next month was the finale of ToMI, and that was only a week after the month had ended, and even then they had already said that that was the date it was going to launch. Despite not knowing the specific date, I'm comfortable enough with the company to not be worried about the notion that the DVD's never coming.

Telltale ain't perfect, but the notion that they're sitting on their asses and taunting us from a distance seems farfetched to me.

wow pale man just ninja'd my last statement.
  • edited May 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    wow pale man just ninja'd my last statement.

funny-pictures-ninja-skills-squirrel.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    Nintendo:
    Back in 2008, I pre-ordered Super Smash Brothers Brawl at my local Gamestop. At the time that I pre-ordered, the release date had been OFFICIALLY announced as February 10, 2008. However, less than a month before this date, it was delayed to March 9th, 2008.

Maxis/EA:
    Last year, I pre-ordered The Sims 3 at the same Gamestop. At the time of this pre-order, the release date had been OFFICIALLY announced as February 20th, 2009. However, less than a month before this date, it was delayed to June 2nd, 2009.

At least those are actual dates.

And the notion that Telltale are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs and not giving a damn when it comes out is utterly ridiculous. You think they want to make us wait? Or that they enjoy not being able to deliver the product to us? I can almost guarantee you that they are as anxious for us to receive the DVD as we are.

*sigh* again... we weren't given a specific written date of release (ie. TTG never said "31 May 2010" or "21 June 2010",) we're just inferring these dates from what information we can gather.

I'm telling you, if TTG gave more information, for example something like "we're trying to get everything out at the same time and there's a hold up with making the Purcell cover slips," or gave a specific date like "we're on track for June 4th" people would be much less impatient. The manufacturer has a deadline that TTG is holding them to. You can bet on it.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with holding their feet to the fire.

And I didn't say they ARE sitting on their asses. I'm saying that to assume that they have no specific deadline set for themselves (more specific than "by the end of spring") is equally far fetched.

EDIT: For people to annoyingly whine and bitch about TTG being stupid slow is one thing, but it's no better for others to tell those who are anxious to "sit down, shut up and wait."
  • edited May 2010
    At least those are actual dates.

So you're telling me you'd rather have actual dates that came and went without the items shipping than have a general estimate?
  • edited May 2010
    So you're telling me you'd rather have actual dates that came and went without the items shipping than have a general estimate?

Yes
  • edited May 2010

Yes.
  • edited May 2010
    Here's fury!!!!
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2010
    And now... to satisfy's Fury and Chyron8472...
    a few actual dates!

i-dates-degletnoor-bread.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Yes

Yes

But yet you say you don't want to be lied to. Interesting.
  • edited May 2010
    Yes
    Yes.

You guys have excessively arbitrary demands. Knowing that they're working on it, it will presumably ship before the end of the month, and that we will get it literally the second they are able to ship it is horrible, but them giving us a random, and likely incorrect, release date would be amazing and perfect?

... I'm done with this thread, no one here uses logic or common sense.
  • edited May 2010

You guys have excessively arbitrary demands. Knowing that they're working on it, it will presumably ship before the end of the month, and that we will get it literally the second they are able to ship it is horrible, but them giving us a random, and likely incorrect, release date would be amazing and perfect?

My thoughts exactly.
  • edited May 2010

Excellent, now the thread belongs to us!

Telltale, ship the goods now! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • edited May 2010
    I'm sure that you'll enjoy the unfinished goods.
  • edited May 2010

For the record, if the "came and went" is, like in the examples above, a change of date that happens before the actual date, replaced with a new specific date, my answer is also "yes".
    Also, I would prefer "On the 7th of September" (for instance) to "by the end of Spring".
    It's later, but it's specific.

But I'm happy with the "by the end of May" right now. And I think they're not updating us because it's on track. there is more reason to inform people if things are changed than to inform them to say "no changes, everything is still the same".

I think they just don't want to miss their deadline. Things took longer than expected and it might happen again. But I do agree with the idea that a specific date that gets changed before it occurs or a specific date that is later is preferable to no specific date at all.
    However "the end of May" is specific enough as far as I'm concerned. My only wish is that if it changes, they inform us before they miss the deadline, that is, before the end of May, that is, about right now.

Since they haven't done so I'm assuming everything is going according to plan.
  • edited May 2010
    This thread is a prime example about what I was talking about regarding the forums' decline of late.
  • edited May 2010
    It’s been 3 months
    2 months in REAL time.
    and we were led to believe it be out in April.
    And wrong once again.

You guys aren't even listening to what TTG says, so why should they update you guys? It's not like you're even going to READ it, like the email... :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2010
    This thread is a prime example about what I was talking about regarding the forums' decline of late.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. You lay a single criticism against Telltale and everyone starts swearing at you, mocking you by posting random internet pictures and all around not listening.

It's stupid, Telltale loyalists can't accept any criticism and refuse to believe telltale is flawed.

And in regards to Avistew.

I sent a support email at the end of april to Telltale, and they said goods were expected to arrive at the end of april, and begin shipping early may. We didn't hear anything until the 5th of may, saying it was "On track" to ship at the end of the month.

I'm hoping it is End of May, but if it is delayed then don't expect to hear anything about it until after the date.
  • edited May 2010
    2 months in REAL time.

And wrong once again.

You guys aren't even listening to what TTG says, so why should they update you guys? It's not like you're even going to READ it, like the email... :rolleyes:

Nah, it said April 10th for the voodoo cards. And in the invoice, it said only the t-shirt was backordered. It never said pre-order anywhere about the merch.

We did listen to what they said, and the site has too little info. It still does, it says nothing about the goods being under pre-order, and they are.
  • edited May 2010
    Something said April 10. People speculate it was the voodoo cards although I thought I had seen that for the DVD.
    When I went back to check at the time (a few days after the preoder started), both items stated "April" as the shipping date. The "10" part wasn't anywhere.

It annoys me how some people are trying to rewrite history ("nobody ever said anything about April! It was just forum speculation that the telltale crew reused!"). It's not telltale's fault if the approval process with LucasArt took longer than expected (or if anything else delayed it), but that doesn't mean it didn't say "April" at the time we preordered.

I don't blame telltale at all for that, incidentally. I'm just annoyed at the whole "we've never been at war with Eastasia" thing from some forumites. It's not enough of a big deal to lie about it.
  • edited May 2010
    Voodoo cards said April 10 (2010? Or April 10th?), however DVD only ever said "Spring", and the estimate was April, not a confirmed release date...
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Something said April 10. People speculate it was the voodoo cards although I thought I had seen that for the DVD.
    When I went back to check at the time (a few days after the preoder started), both items stated "April" as the shipping date. The "10" part wasn't anywhere.

It annoys me how some people are trying to rewrite history ("nobody ever said anything about April! It was just forum speculation that the telltale crew reused!"). It's not telltale's fault if the approval process with LucasArt took longer than expected (or if anything else delayed it), but that doesn't mean it didn't say "April" at the time we preordered.

Bullshit. We've been through this.
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. You lay a single criticism against Telltale and everyone starts swearing at you, mocking you by posting random internet pictures and all around not listening.

It's stupid, Telltale loyalists can't accept any criticism and refuse to believe telltale is flawed.

I've never said that the way they're handling it is perfect. What I have said is that people seem to forget that they're a smaller company, so something like such a large-scale DVD release is more difficult for them than people give them credit for, and that I find it insulting when it's implied that they're not giving 110%. Yeah, maybe they could handle it better, but they're trying hard to please as many people as possible, and if they did it your way, there would be a lot more upset people than there are now.

Also, I haven't sworn at anyone in this thread until this post, and it was only because that felt like a personal attack from Avistew and not just because of criticism against Telltale.
  • edited May 2010
    Yes, we've been through this because nobody took a screencap before they changed it.

But you know what? Two days ago when my husband said he was surprised it hadn't shipped yet, what did he say? That they said they were going to ship early April. And where did he get that, you asked? Well I asked him too, and when I ordered, I was on the phone with him (he was at work), he asked me when it would ship, and I read the date to him.
    He doesn't come on the forums and we haven't talked about it since I ordered. I doubt he came up with that by complete accident.

I don't care if "April" was a mistake due to the Penal zone coming out then, or if they changed it because they realised they might not make it, or what, but it did say "April" at some point. I don't see why you would say we all dreamed it or something.
    Marill wrote: »
    Omg... this is definitely a good week for me. Dvd ordered, for only £11 shipping. So happy, thanks Telltale :D Bring on April
    I really need to stop thinking about how awesome what I just bought is or I'm never going to make it to April.
    Just order it like that. If one item is backordered, so is the entire order. That just means that your entire order will ship when the Tales DVD does in April.

And so on. But I'm sure we all completely invented that date. What are you expecting? I didn't think to take a screenshot. I didn't expect to need one. I don't see why it matters that Telltale changed "April" to "Spring", especially when they did it so early on.

I don't care, it's not worth a debate anyways. I said I'd stay off this thread and I should have -_-'.
  • edited May 2010
    Looks like guruguru contradicted one of his earlier posts lol.

It said (expected to ship April 10th) in red text on the voodoo cards page.

Wish I'd screenshotted it. Soooo much.

Telltale could end this argument at any time by posting a screenshot of the old website, they'd have a list of changes in their server.
  • edited May 2010
    We'll see. They have 11 days left, including tomorrow (Friday) until the end of May.

I've said more than once that TTG is awesome and that I love this company. I do however, understand that it's annoying to sometimes feel like they're not communicative enough.

Last month, I was asking around on the forums whether/when Telltale was going to start selling SoMI:SE, because I was under a deadline for an approaching birthday party and wanted to buy the TTG copy of the game for my nephew. On the forums, Telltale didn't answer me, but someone told me to send a support email to ask about it and I did. The response I got back was on Apr 23: "The ttg store is planning on advertising the Secret Edition some time today. Just working out some kinks and communications with Lucas. Look for it around the end of day."
    42023957.png

I looked and looked for the next several days and never saw the SoMI:SE game on the website anywhere. In the end, I gave up and bought it from Steam instead. Well, wouldn't you know it... The day after I bought the Steam copy, I noticed that people on the forums were talking about SoMI:SE being released and went to check... and it was at the bottom of the main games list with no references anywhere else in the store. Not even a link at the top left that said "Third Party Games" or a link to SoMI in the Tales section of the store.

Suffice it to say, I was highly annoyed. I know it's ready when it's ready and not before, but sometimes I wish they would be more communicative or organized than they are about certain things.
  • edited May 2010
    I can quote me too.
    I really need to stop thinking about how awesome what I just bought is or I'm never going to make it to April.

But...
    From what I've been hearing, some point in April, but I haven't noticed any official word on that.

Yeah, I may have said April, but I already knew that I hadn't once heard "April" from any Telltale source. It just wasn't until 21 hours later that anyone gave me reason to say so.

I can see that this is quickly going to turn into an attempt to discredit anyone attempting to defend Telltale, and I'd leave now except for this.
    Excellent, now the thread belongs to us!

Telltale, ship the goods now! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I cannot allow this to go unchecked.
  • edited May 2010
    Okay at this point everyone's just pointing fingers at each other. Everyone just chill, k? D:
  • edited May 2010
    Telltale could end this argument at any time by posting a screenshot of the old website, they'd have a list of changes in their server.

I doubt it's worth their time.
    Yeah, I may have said April, but I already knew that I hadn't once heard "April" from any Telltale source. It just wasn't until 22 hours later that anyone gave me reason to say so.

I wasn't quoting YOU on purpose, as hard to believe as it may be. I randomly selected posts mentioning April before it was retconned to Spring. Fine, you were just repeating other people. But the other people got it from somewhere at some point.
    I can see that this is quickly going to turn into an attempt to discredit anyone attempting to defend Telltale, and I'd leave now except for this.

I. Am. On. Telltale's. Side.
    I just don't see the point in lying or rewriting history because of it, okay? I think it does more harm than good. I'm on their side and I support them and I'm not upset with them. I'm upset when people pretend "it was Spring all along" because I do remember differently and I know I'm not the only one.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm upset that you're accusing me of "rewriting history", as if I'm actively falsifying facts to support my claims. Like you said, I also remember differently and I know I'm not the only one.

Also I wouldn't have said this

if it hadn't been for this.
    Looks like guruguru contradicted one of his earlier posts lol.

So it wasn't you quoting me on its own that set me off.
  • edited May 2010

I cannot allow this to go unchecked.

Yeah, it's really working at discouraging me...

Good work yet again GuruGuru.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh, I know. It's like banging my head against a brick wall. Unstoppable force and immovable object sort of thing. But at least I feel better about it than I would if I just let you badmouth Telltale with no counterargument.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.