Monkey Island DVD Never Arriving? [it's shipping now]

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I'm upset that you're accusing me of "rewriting history", as if I'm actively falsifying facts to support my claims.

Okay, then.
    I can't say I suspected you (or Hassat) to be actively lying through your teeth, but it did seem to me that you were strongly denying something I remember. And then you say that you didn't hear anything official either way, so it's not like you're sure it never said April, either.

Either way, I really don't care. As I said, it doesn't matter. I just don't want to become a "Telltale hater" just because I say things that might be against them. That's what annoyed me, like I have to pretend things or I can't be on their side. Or something.

I think we should shake hands and agree we're both mostly annoyed at Fury. Also this thread would be better off locked.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »

I think we should shake hands and agree we're both mostly annoyed at Fury. Also this thread would be better off locked.

Woo! Forum recognition!
  • edited May 2010

Agreed on both points. I added the tag "please lock this thread" days ago.
  • edited May 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Woo! Forum recognition!

You should probably stop throwing gasoline on a fire.

Or rather:
    93504770.png
  • edited May 2010
    Agreed on both points. I added the tag "please lock this thread" days ago.

I'm fine with Telltale locking it, as long as they post a new ETA or something.
  • edited May 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    You should probably stop throwing gasoline on a fire.

For that matter, we could all take that same advice and just start ignoring Fury and this thread and solve the problem ourselves. But that won't happen.

And as much as I'm for locking this thread, I realize it probably wouldn't do any good. Fury and his argument would just move to another thread. And I suspect that Telltale knows this and that's why the thread hasn't been locked yet. At least as long as this thread is open, the fighting is contained here.
  • edited May 2010
    For that matter, we could all take that same advice and just start ignoring Fury and this thread and solve the problem ourselves. But that won't happen.

And as much as I'm for locking this thread, I realize it probably wouldn't do any good. Fury and his argument would just move to another thread. And I suspect that Telltale knows this and that's why the thread hasn't been locked yet. At least as long as this thread is open, the fighting is contained here.

It's not fighting. I just want a freaking ETA! And everyone labels me as the fucking anti-christ.
  • edited May 2010
    You get treated that way because you're a jerk about it and launch personal attacks at anyone who disagrees with you.
  • edited May 2010
    Fury, while I don't think you're the only person who's hoping to get the DVD soon, you have been vehement, aggressive and, well, you've done a lot of double, triple, quadruple posting that could be summed up as "ROAAAAR I'm upset!" or, in some cases, almost literally said that.

Venting is nice but maybe this isn't the best place. And right now we have an ETA, or rather ETS (Estimated Time of Shipping) which is the end of May. I don't feel we need to hear more from telltale at this point, except to tell us "okay, it's shipped", and even then, we'll get the email anyway, right?

So we can't really do more than wait. And I don't think you're the Antichrist or anything but you're like the whiny kid in a car who keeps saying "are we there yet?" and making the ride worse for everyone else, including people who are just as impatient to get there.
    So yeah, you're frustrating. And the more it goes on, the more frustrating you get. We have an estimated shipping of the end of May, so why don't you wait until June, and then if it hasn't shipped it will make sense to complain.

As to the fact that they don't always keep us 100% informed, well, I have two things to say about it.

a) they have sh*t to do. Honestly, between all the games they're working on, and the release of Sammun-Mak on so many platform at once, and Puzzle Agent soon to be released, etc, they are probably super busy. They might even be overwhelmed as it is, so I don't think keeping everyone informed of everything is high on their priority list right now. They're more likely trying to get things done.

b) The telltale crew kinda strikes me as the kind of people who wants to give us stuff right away when it's ready. So, if they set a deadline, they'd want to be generous so they're sure to meet it, right? But at the same time, if they're too generous and it's ready earlier than expected, I don't see them just keeping it there until the right date, then ship it. I think they'd want to send it right away.
    So in a way, specific dates would be kind of a lose-lose situation: if something turns up and it's delayed, then they didn't meet their deadline and they disappointed us, which they don't want. If they give themselves lots of time they end up being ready earlier and not shipping something that's already ready, which they don't want to do either.

This is all pure speculation, mind you. But they do really care about their customers, I know that, so that's kind of how I rationalise it. Personally I'd rather they set a generous deadline and wait until then to ship stuff that was already ready. Because when the deadline is broad, in a way, you're expecting it every single day and therefore you're disappointed every single day as though they had missed a deadline, even though they didn't.

Although you'd think saying "By X" would work, right? It's like setting a deadline that date, but giving themselves the option to ship it earlier if it's ready. But I guess not being sure is somehow worse. I don't think I can really explain it.
  • edited May 2010
    One thing I have to totally agree on is that Telltale has an absolutely poor handling of the whole pre-ordering and shipment process for physical goods!

Almost every (!) available online-shop software out there gives you the possibility to communicate estimated shipping or availability dates to your customers - both before and after they bought something. Especially giving the customers information after their purchase is important in business! In this respect TTG really has to get into gear and make a few changes to their webstore and their general handling of pre-orders/backordered items.

Just to comment on the often used argument that it is more difficult for smaller companies to handle large releases: no, really, it isn't. Ordering the DVDs is a one-stop process in the factory:
    1. You give them a date for the transmission of the DVD master files.
    2. You specify the packaging (print quality, images, form, included goods,...).
    3. They give you a estimated time table (when you have to deliver e.g. included goods,...), which I might add is VERY accurate.
    4. If all looks well, you sign the contract, which includes the penalties for delays.

I've just done so as a private person for the release of a charity collection (think of a documentation plus some additional goods), which by the way had an initial pre-order number of about 100 000, but then due to the high demand was upgraded to 250 000. Changing the amount of DVDs needed is really not a big issue and only added two more days to the initial time table - which by the way was fulfilled to perfection.

So to conclude my post: It is very well possible even for smaller companies to provide accurate estimates for their goods.
  • edited May 2010
    I'ma start counting the days.

At most 12 11 more days for them to start shipping.
  • edited May 2010
    ToxicGreen wrote: »
    Just to comment on the often used argument that it is more difficult for smaller companies to handle large releases: no, really, it isn't. Ordering the DVDs is a one-stop process in the factory:
    3. They give you a estimated time table (when you have to deliver e.g. included goods,...), which I might add is VERY accurate.
    4. If all looks well, you sign the contract, which includes the penalties for delays.

[...]

So to conclude my post: It is very well possible even for smaller companies to provide accurate estimates for their goods.

Telltale isn't just dealing with making the DVDs though. They check they have final version without bugs, they figure out what bonuses to add and possibly make them, and lots of small things I can't possible be aware of. They had to go through LA's approval for ToMI, and for a while we didn't know what kind of protection there would be on the disc for instance.
    There might be a lot of things happening that we don't know.

EDIT: oh, and also, they don't just need to get the DVDs ready, but to have them shipped. For that they deal with their distributor, and there might be issues there too. I know they said they were trying to change distributors and stuff.
  • edited May 2010

Except in the case of the Tales DVD it's more like this:

1. You prepare the DVD content, recording commentary tracks, rounding up concept art, etc.
    2. You submit the DVD content to LucasArts for approval, hoping that they get back to you sometime this year, given their track record
    3. You finally get word back from LucasArts and can move on to working with the production company.

And undoubtedly there's more to it than that to hold up the process.

Edit: I've been ninja'd!
  • edited May 2010
    Edit: I've been ninja'd!

Mwahahahaha!
  • edited May 2010
    Telltale isn't just dealing with making the DVDs though. They check they have final version without bugs, they figure out what bonuses to add and possibly make them, and lots of small things I can't possible be aware of. They had to go through LA's approval for ToMI, and for a while we didn't know what kind of protection there would be on the disc for instance.
    There might be a lot of things happening that we don't know.

EDIT: oh, and also, they don't just need to get the DVDs ready, but to have them shipped. For that they deal with their distributor, and there might be issues there too. I know they said they were trying to change distributors and stuff.

I think what he means is that, from the manufacturing side, the time estimates are quite accurate and are not often completely fouled up by an increase in volume demanded. So it's most likely not the manufacturer that would cause a hold up.

It's true though, that there are probably a number of things going on in releasing the disc that Telltale is having to deal with, that we know nothing about. Since they only have 11 days left until the end of May and haven't specifically come out and said it won't be ready by then, then hopefully it will be.

I'm still counting down the days, though.
  • edited May 2010
    I just want a freaking ETA!

What part of "should be the end of May" don't you understand?

Also, you realize that ETA = Estimated Time of Arrival, right?

An ETA (which we have) is still not a definite date.
  • edited May 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if TTG underestimated the time required for LA approval...
  • edited May 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if TTG underestimated the time required for LA approval...

However, one has to assume that TTG had already LA's approval at the time when the pre-orders were made possible. After all, we did already get images and descriptions of the items involved and such things cannot be changed after an order has been accepted.
  • edited May 2010
    However, one has to assume that TTG had already LA's approval at the time when the pre-orders were made possible. After all, we did already get images and descriptions of the items involved and such things cannot be changed after an order has been accepted.

I seem to recall a comment about one of the TTG members about LucasArts approving the DVD after the pre-order had become available, therefore one does not have to assume that.
  • edited May 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    I seem to recall a comment about one of the TTG members about LucasArts approving the DVD after the pre-order had become available, therefore one does not have to assume that.

I think you meant this:
    Temporarily back on topic, as soon as I have official confirmation what the DRM is, I'll let you know.
    Just so you know that we haven't forgotten about you, the DVD is currently being approved by the powers that be. Once I have their approval on everything (which knowing the standard approval process can take a week or two sadly), I'll be able to let you guys know what's up.

I'd just hate to tell you something and then have Lucas or someone come back and say it all has to be changed.
    Oh hai.

OFFICIAL PROCLAMATION: NO WEB BASED DRM ON THE DVD

You may begin your rejoicing. Sorry it took so long for you to rejoice.

(That was incredibly hard to find! When I searched posts by Will in the Monkey Island forum, they were all out of order. I had to go to Will's profile, select "view all posts by Will" and then go to the right date from memory.)
  • edited May 2010
    No, pre-orders started before approval.

Also, the boxart was temp. AFAIK
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah that's what I was talking about, thanks Avistew.
  • edited May 2010

At most 11 10 more days for them to start shipping.
  • edited May 2010
    At most 11 10 more days for them to start shipping.

Not true.
    Thats only true if you take the spirng is mar apr may approach.

Using the "official start of summertime" date its still spring for the majority of june as well.
  • edited May 2010
    You haven't been paying attention, have you? :)
    Let me quote this:
    *facepalm* how many times has this been asked an answered in this thread?
    iW6W9.jpg

That's a screencap from an email sent by Telltale on the 7th of May.
  • edited May 2010
    ahem... let me show the whole fricken thing to prove it.

Notice that the date received says "May 6" and the Tales section says "on track to ship by the end of this month."

54674019.png
  • edited May 2010
    It's not spring for ages. Spring starts in September, so Telltale could technically delay it until then. Heck, they could release it at the end of November and they'd still be technically correct.

I'm leaning more towards August at this point though.
  • edited May 2010
    It's not spring for ages. Spring starts in September, so Telltale could technically delay it until then. Heck, they could release it at the end of November and they'd still be technically correct.

I'm leaning more towards August at this point though.

A little confused, in what hemisphere do you reside?

Springs starts in September for the South one, not the one where Telltale is.
  • edited May 2010
    Didn't I just show an e-mail from as soon as 16 days ago that says TTG is due to ship by the end of May?

Wait 9 and a half more days.
  • edited May 2010

At most 10 9 more days for them to start shipping.
  • edited May 2010
    Anyone new to this thread should read Chyron8...4....7....2's posts. As silly as that name is, he knows what he's talking about. If your post shows evidence of ignorance about chyron8193742 then you shall be sentenced to death by parrot.
  • edited May 2010
    Silly name? Chyron is derivative of Chiron, who is the centaur that trained Hercules, Jason and Achilles (the Disney movie is incorrect.)

8472 (8, 4, 7, 2) is a Star Trek reference, and I couldn't just use Chyron as my username.

Anyway, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. What I was saying is that they have... about 8 and a half days left until the end of May, and since "on track by the end of the month" was in an official newsletter, I'm going to use that as a deadline, at least until it passes.

edit: You can use the "Spring" in the Northern Hemisphere (where TTG is) as a reference, but if "by the end of (May)" is in a newsletter and they haven't postponed that yet with almost 9 days left, May is still a viable deadline.
  • edited May 2010
    No, wasn't being sarcastic. If people read your posts it could have cut out a lot of the whining going on on here. :) You still have a silly name though ;)
  • edited May 2010
    I think it might be time to close this thread. We've seemed to reach, not a conclusion, but as close as we're gonna get to a conclusion. I think it'd be a good time to close it before we begin the very same argument that we already have several dozen times.
  • edited May 2010
    8472 (8, 4, 7, 2) is a Star Trek reference, and I couldn't just use Chyron has my username.

Species 8472 has a name now in Star Trek Online: The Undine. Awesome of you to have a Star Trek reference in your handle. I wondered if it was for Species 8472 or not hehe...
  • edited May 2010

At most 9 8 more days for them to start shipping.
  • edited May 2010
    At most 9 8 more days for them to start shipping.

Stop bumping the damn topic. You'll just set me off again.

WHERE IS THE TOMI DVD RYADYBADATYDAVY!
  • edited May 2010
    Don't know if anyone can answer this but, when can other countries like mine for example
    "Sweden" expect "Tales Of Monkey Island DVD Collection" to be released here
    in a retail store?

Any news on a global DVD release to retail stores on that front Telltale? :)
  • edited May 2010
    Nice to read there is no activation DRM on the DVD like was on Wallace and Grommit, which was terrible.

yay!

I look forward to the DVD, whenever it ships.
  • edited May 2010
    I doubt the Tales of Monkey Island DVD will ever be available in any retail stores anywhere in the world anytime soon.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.