Monkey Island DVD Never Arriving? [it's shipping now]

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Technically, if the coins are each worth "a whole four", then they are indeed two pieces of eight. Not that the "whole eight" thing makes a damn bit of sense in the first place, but it's a Monkey Island game, so it's not a big deal.
  • edited July 2010
    I actually got mine today :eek: about time!
  • edited July 2010
    What are the experiences when it comes to shipping times to Germany? Mine shipped July 1st but hasn't shown up yet. I'm starting to worry as I'll be on a holiday from August 1st on.
  • edited July 2010
    My Deluxe box paid for 2010-03-18 arrived today in UK 2010-07-20 (despatched 4th July). Thanks.
  • edited July 2010
    My Deluxe box paid for 2010-03-18 arrived today in UK 2010-07-20 (despatched 4th July). Thanks.

PRE-ORDER! Geez...
  • edited July 2010
    Wow, I only ordered mine a week before that, but I got it four weeks ago. Now I'm really glad I managed to snag one of the first pre-orders.
  • edited July 2010
    My order was placed March 15, 2010 - what happens if it never arrives? Just tough luck, or...?
  • edited July 2010
    Pièce means coin in French, so I always assumed each coin was just worth 8 whatever.
  • edited July 2010
    1 piece of eight (a.k.a spanish dollar or peso) = 8 spanish reales. It was a silver coin and, at the time, the highest denomination.
  • edited July 2010
    hydr0x wrote: »
    What are the experiences when it comes to shipping times to Germany? Mine shipped July 1st but hasn't shown up yet. I'm starting to worry as I'll be on a holiday from August 1st on.

My Sam & Max DVDs arrived in Germany roughly two weeks after the "shipping now" note from Telltale.

Sometimes overseas packages travel in quite long (and inexplicable) ways. Recently I got a replacement SSD via FedEx. According to the tracking page, the disk went from Taiwan to New Jersey to Paris to Frankfurt to Paris (again) to Hanover.
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone else got this problem?
    Your order has been submitted to our warehouse and will ship soon. Please check back later for shipping info.
    Been like that for like 2 weeks.
  • edited July 2010
    If I recall my pirate lore correctly a "whole eight" was something to do with the weight.
    Like it had to be 8oz of gold or w/e

And peoples logic with 8 pieces of eight shuld = 1 eight is wrong.
    It doesn't at all say it is 1/8th it simply says it is a piece of 8.
    For example if your total i say 100g. 20g is a piece of 100g and the remaining pieces would make up 80g
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone got his package in Italy? Mine has been shipped on July 6 and it seems stuck:
    Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
    Electronic Shipping HEALDSBURG CA 95448 07/07/10 12:53am
    Info Received
  • edited July 2010
    Alessandro wrote: »
    Anyone got his package in Italy? Mine has been shipped on July 6 and it seems stuck:

If thats the USPS info, i wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't change. Mine didn't, and i recieved mine ages ago.
  • edited July 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Pièce means coin in French, so I always assumed each coin was just worth 8 whatever.
    That is actually the case. A piece of eight was an actual piece of Spanish currency, worth eight Reales/Royals. A piece of eight was essentially equivalent to a dollar, as it was the main unit of currency. It got tied to pirates due to their appearance in Treasure Island.
  • edited July 2010
    My deluxe box was ordered on the 24th March (I ordered earlier but had to cancel and re-order) and I got it today. Wheee! I last checked tracking last night and it said it was still in a warehouse in America somewhere. Silly site. And the best thing is, I didnt get charged at customs for once! Yaaay!

I don't mind it taking that long at all. I expected it (well almost, I was thinking May/June-ish) to take a while since it is a pre-order.

Only thing is, I swear the sleeve was meant to be signed? Did I invent that in my head? I cant see any reference to it on the store. Hmmm.

Is it really wrong if I drill a hole through my piece of eight to use as a keyring? I wanted to do it with my S&M soul train token and never got round to it as I felt a bit bad.
  • edited July 2010
    GreenVodka wrote: »
    Only thing is, I swear the sleeve was meant to be signed? Did I invent that in my head? I cant see any reference to it on the store. Hmmm.
    You're most likely confusing the slipcase with the print of the DVD sleeve art.
  • edited July 2010
    yay... shipped today... maybe i'll receive it within the rest of the year
  • edited July 2010
    A "regular person" just thinks a piece of eight is fake pirate money.

you must know a different kind of regular person to me. all the normals i talk to live in the 21st century
  • edited July 2010
    moo535 wrote: »
    you must know a different kind of regular person to me. all the normals i talk to live in the 21st century

You mean all the people who just give you blank stares when you mention "piece of eight"?
  • edited July 2010
    In case any of you Americans might be interested, the piece of eight thing is why you call a quarter "two bits". 1 piece of eight = dollar. 2 royals (2 bits) = 1/4 of 1 piece of eight = a quarter.
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    You mean all the people who just give you blank stares when you mention "piece of eight"?

or "oh the stuff that the pirate lords in pirates of the caribbean put together for the meeting. It didn't make sense though because they had 9 of those!"
  • edited July 2010
    In case any of you Americans might be interested, the piece of eight thing is why you call a quarter "two bits". 1 piece of eight = dollar. 2 royals (2 bits) = 1/4 of 1 piece of eight = a quarter.

I've never heard of this before in my life. Of course, I'm Canadian...
  • edited July 2010
    moo535 wrote: »
    I know the kind of normal person who is at least slightly aware of Treasure Island or one of its many film adaptations, or the kind of people who have spent more than five seconds in a costume or party favor shop in their lives, or people who are really at all familiar with any piece of pirate media that came into existence after Treasure Island.
    I've never heard of this before in my life. Of course, I'm Canadian...
    It's archaic, but it did exist. The only time I've ever heard it actually used in anything resembling a normal context though would be in the "shave and a haircut, two bits" tune.
  • edited July 2010
    Just got my Tales Of Monkey Island - Deluxe edition.

Need to get a better cam :no:

dsc01574.jpg
    dsc01575p.jpg
    dsc01577ii.jpg
    dsc01580v.jpg
    dsc01584m.jpg
    dsc01586ou.jpg
    dsc01587l.jpg
    dsc01588kz.jpg

Took 15 days to arrive in India :P Not bad by any USPS standards i would say.

Whooooppppiiiiieeeeeee
  • edited July 2010
    Yay!!! Mine finally arrived today, I do believe I have just joined the Happius Bunnius genus.

EDIT: No customs charges, Yay :)
  • edited July 2010
    going to go and pick mine up tomorrow - £18 customs, ouch!
  • edited July 2010
    Hint for the S&M Season 3 DVD: Commentary subtitles.

Thank you...
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for the"piece of eight" explanations. So, did "piece" use to means "coin" in English too, then? "Piece of change" or something, maybe?

Treasure Island seems pretty influential pirate-wise. From what I know, it's also the reason why pirates have an accent in English.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm very happy I did cut out my map, it looks so much better! (and it got rid of the lucasarts bit too ;) ) but, a word to the wise, if you're going to do it, use sharp scissors like dressmakers scissors because otherwise it might fray.
  • edited July 2010
    My deluxe package is here, with mug and voodoo cards. :D Nothing missing or stuff.
    The box is smaller than I expected, but the mug! I was expecting a normal-sized mug, like the kind people drink coffee in, but this is huge!

I've not decided yet whether I'm going to use the mug or just keep it on a display, or what to do with the map.

But you know what I realised? The coin is great for "Heads or tails", or, in this case, "Skull or Tales". :D
  • edited July 2010
    My deluxe package is here, with mug and voodoo cards. :D Nothing missing or stuff.
    The box is smaller than I expected, but the mug! I was expecting a normal-sized mug, like the kind people drink coffee in, but this is huge!

I've not decided yet whether I'm going to use the mug or just keep it on a display, or what to do with the map.

But you know what I realised? The coin is great for "Heads or tails", or, in this case, "Skull or Tales". :D

I envy you. The box is cool; I'm going to use it to store all the monkey island merchandise that will fit. my voodoo cards are right in there now.
  • edited July 2010
    I envy you. The box is cool; I'm going to use it to store all the monkey island merchandise that will fit. my voodoo cards are right in there now.

I'm going to fill mine with HIDDEN PEOPLE.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm very happy I did cut out my map, it looks so much better! (and it got rid of the lucasarts bit too ;) ) but, a word to the wise, if you're going to do it, use sharp scissors like dressmakers scissors because otherwise it might fray.

My advice: Put some transparent nail polish on the edges.
  • edited July 2010
    Mermaid wrote: »
    My advice: Put some transparent nail polish on the edges.

explain
  • edited July 2010
    Picking up mine 2moro, £13 customs :( lol ohwell.
  • edited July 2010
    Ohhhh, I want the deluxe version. I think I might have missed it, because I cannot choose deluxe version. I got an email about the DVD being ready, but now I cannot choose the deluxe one.

I hope it gets fixed, or someone explains it is sold out. I will wait till the 31/7 to order just to see if it will be possible to get the Deluxe version.

Thanks for posting pictures of it btw. Looks awesome.
  • edited July 2010
    Maaaaan, and mine still hasn't arrived...
  • edited July 2010
    Still nothing here. Three weeks down and at most three weeks to go, I guess. I believe the delivery time was up to 6 weeks, right? Keep on waiting... Maybe tomorrow .....
  • edited July 2010

Interesting, but no one in the US calls a quarter "two bits". Ever.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.