Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak Discussion!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Jwalkjr326 wrote: »
    So what about the ipad version when will the app for that be up.

Who cares about the iPad?
  • edited May 2010
    Obviously I do if im asking about it.
  • edited May 2010
    Jwalkjr326 wrote: »
    Obviously I do if im asking about it.

Who cares about you?
  • edited May 2010
    Wootman wrote: »
    Who cares about you?

Let's play nice in here please? :)
  • edited May 2010
    I don't argue with people in a forum thats lame. Anyhow if you could give me any info, Will it would be greatly appreciated. Great job on the game so far.
  • edited May 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    Let's play nice in here please? :)
    Agreed.

No release date for iPad yet. See the comment by David E in this blog post. It's likely that a separate announcement will be made when the release date is known.
  • edited May 2010
    Ok cool, thanx Wapcaplet.
  • edited May 2010
    Just finished the episode, fantastic work again guys! The ending was certainly something. I wonder how exactly
    whatever it was managed to sneak up and subdue Max long enough to yank his brain
    . Can't wait for the next episode!
  • edited May 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Hey guys, official update for you on Steam. It appears that the build will unfortunately be on hold until tomorrow. Steam's new Mac client has a big push tomorrow where a bunch of new Mac games will be going out, including 302. I'm not sure of the exact details, but this means that the PC version cannot ship until tomorrow as well.

Sorry we were late getting this information to you. Hopefully, by the time 303 comes out, this will not be an issue, but if it is we will certainly let you know ahead of time.

*sigh* Well, if nothing else, the information is appreciated. This kinda cements not buying TTG's products through Steam again, though, as they continue to prove they can't/won't meet release dates.

(That's not saying I won't buy TTG's games, they make great products. Just in this case, their choice of distribution though Steam sucks for paying customers) :(
  • edited May 2010
    Cheri wrote: »
    Just finished the episode, fantastic work again guys! The ending was certainly something. I wonder how exactly
    whatever it was managed to sneak up and subdue Max long enough to yank his brain
    . Can't wait for the next episode!
    You have no idea how hard it was to resist clicking that. Let me tell you how hard. Slightly less hard than it is to not look at it above this when I'm typing this post right now, since spoiler tags don't hide anything when you're quoting ARGH
  • edited May 2010
    Hey guys, official update for you on Steam. It appears that the build will unfortunately be on hold until tomorrow. Steam's new Mac client has a big push tomorrow where a bunch of new Mac games will be going out, including 302. I'm not sure of the exact details, but this means that the PC version cannot ship until tomorrow as well.

Sorry we were late getting this information to you. Hopefully, by the time 303 comes out, this will not be an issue, but if it is we will certainly let you know ahead of time.

Why? Why would they do that?

The Devil's Playhouse pack has already been released on both steam for Windows and Mac so why do they need to delay an episodic release of something the people on Mac can already buy?
  • edited May 2010
    Telltale should release 302 for Steam buyers and link it to their accounts.
  • edited May 2010

I agree.
  • edited May 2010
    There is a limit to how awesome one company can be.

This will not be done without breaking that limit :)

Edit: a more logical argument against this would be: why should Telltale give you all the bonuses when a cut of what you payed went to Valve and not telltale? Especially considering that the only reason you're asking for this is because Valve is being silly and annoying.
  • edited May 2010

Hm... that's a bummer. I don't understand why they just release the PC version today and the Mac version tomorrow. Oh well.
  • edited May 2010
    Kind of a late response but...

Wapcaplet wrote: »
    Ah, I forgot that you can't access your actual games list from the Steam web page -- just your account listing your purchases. Never mind, then.

Edit: Thanks, Wootman -- I had a feeling this was possible.
    Actually, this is exactly what I meant! Thanks!
  • edited May 2010
    Hm... that's a bummer. I don't understand why they just release the PC version today and the Mac version tomorrow. Oh well.

They could release both of them today.. You can't buy the episodes individually yet.. People on Mac Steam are also waiting for episode 2 as they can already buy the full pack too.

It doesn't make sense to delay this release untill tomorrow...
  • edited May 2010
    Nice work! I'm enjoying it so far, about halfway through. Time to hit the hay. Pity I have work tomorrow starting 9:30am :(
  • edited May 2010
    If I were you guys I would complain at Valve. It does indeed sound like a rather silly reason for a delay.
  • edited May 2010
    Wow. After playing this, I'm convinced the Telltale staff would have no problem making an adventure game out of "Lost."
    The chronological disorder of the story takes Episode 1's future-vision concept to a whole new level.

Even better for me was that I'd recently replayed both "The Dagger of Amon Ra" and "The Last Express," and this was like a perfect mash-up of those games. On top of that, I'm seeing more and more Lovecraft-ian elements working their way into the main storyline. This is definitely one of the most inspired episodes to date. Probably right up there in the top 5 Telltale episodes for me.

It was lacking one thing: more 1900's slang. I thought their lingo was too modern, but that was probably the astral projection at work.

All in all, a great game. To everyone at Telltale, please pat one another's backs, because I can't reach from here.
  • edited May 2010
    Am I crazy, or did anyone else think the music for the climactic puzzle sounded like a nod to North by Northwest?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Am I crazy, or did anyone else think the music for the climactic puzzle sounded like a nod to North by Northwest?

I thought that! And I like it.
  • edited May 2010
    Fantastic episode as usual.

As for the ending...
    I love how it's so obviously stated in the next episodes title, yet is still rendered shocking by the very fact that no one would suspect the obvious
  • edited May 2010
    ... wait, two minutes ago you were furious that there WAS some super secret item. I assure you there is PLENTY of content in this game. GOBS. Mountains of content.

I was furious for PS3 exclusive content. I meant super secret items like Nutrition Specs that I might find in the game.
  • edited May 2010
    So...first Telltale Game with Sierra style death sequences.
    Don't have your tickets. Get caught by conductor. Get thrown out of train to your death.

Get told not to touch cursed toy chest. Touch cursed toy chest anyway. Die.

I LOVED IT.
  • edited May 2010
    aww man, I waited all day and now I have to wait until tomorrow. Oh well, I guess its not the end of the world. I'm still a bit bummed.
  • edited May 2010
    Hmm, I gotta wonder though..
    From our villain line-up, it seems that pretty much EVERYONE on there has been used now, except for Sal and the Sam clones. I wonder how the 'main bad guy' role in each episode will work now.
  • edited May 2010
    So... Am I the only one who's crying inside?

I loved the episode, it's just, the last scene, is, well... ah...
  • edited May 2010
    I'm now convinced that
    The Narrator is Yog-Saggoth.

Anyone else getting this vibe near the end?
  • edited May 2010
    no he's gnomes and tentacle plus he cant shape shift
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »

I felt the same too. And will continue until episode 3 releases and all is solved.
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »

Actually I found it bone-chilling disturbing. Seriously, scared the heck out of me.
  • edited May 2010
    Somehow some of the music reminded me of what Jared did for "Wallace & Gromit".

Oh, and the episode was fantastic!!
    I especially loved the turn-of-the-century Straight & Narrow as well as the train. I've always been a fan movies playing in that era. The out-of-order plot confused me at first (and I was hesitant to put in one of the later reels, to not spoil me ahead of time) but slowly it all fell into place during the course of the episode. It was similar to the first episode in those regards... only with even cooler staging.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    EroThraX wrote: »
    Why? Why would they do that?

The Devil's Playhouse pack has already been released on both steam for Windows and Mac so why do they need to delay an episodic release of something the people on Mac can already buy?

Well, like I said I don't know the specifics behind the reasoning, but I would imagine they are almost entirely technical. I work with the Steam guys pretty regularly to get games up on the service and I assure you they are kick-butt professionals at getting stuff out the door. Seriously, I cannot speak highly enough about these people.

At any rate, it was almost certainly out of their hands.
  • edited May 2010
    Don't have your tickets. Get caught by conductor. Get thrown out of train to your death.

I LOVED IT.

Wow. Just wow. I am waiting for the steamversion / if I will get the steamversion of the episode (I registered my Hat-key from TTG) but I just had to read this spoiler. I will have to try all of these and see if there are more.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2010
    Oh, there are many more.
  • edited May 2010
    Well, I finally finished it. This is one of the most insane games I've ever played.

Some things I loved-

This episode made me love characters I had previously hated with a passion.
    Jurgen.
    Baby Amelia Earhart.
    Both were a highlight of the episode for me.
    The puzzles were great and really tough to figure out.
    I really liked Sameth and Maximus.
    I felt bad when
    they got turned into skeletons.
    The ending was pretty crazy. It felt really weird. I have no idea how this will play out and I'm definitely locked in to find out. I did see it coming as soon as Sam left to take a leak though.
    I loved that Max accuses Sam near the end.
    Also the "ratings" joke.
    The environments were really really fun. I love trains, mysteries on trains, and ancient Egypt, so I was never bored.
    Paperwaite was creepier than I expected. I enjoyed the final act, especially the music.
    Also the extreme Lovecraft references. They're used just right, not too much, just enough to really pour on the mystery.
    The fact you can die.
    And finally, I loved how the episode was like four episodic adventures inside of another episodic adventure. I mean one to two of the reels alone would have made up one episode of Season One almost. O_o

I tried to think of some complaints but I can't. I guess I'm just easy to please.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2010
    Good episode though I found certain part of a puzzle rather dashing disturbing.

Something that annoyed me was that sometimes the puzzles were solved just for the sake of solving them, without justification on why you must solve them (although later we get the justifications)
  • edited May 2010

I LOVED IT.

I think you can also
    get eaten by the snake
  • edited May 2010
    I think you can also
    get eaten by the snake

You can die a lot more ways then that. Some more painful then the others.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.