Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak Discussion!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
New thread since the game's out! Here's the old pre-discussion thread.

episode2.jpg

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
The Tomb of Sammun-Mak

It's here! Download it from the Sam & Max site, or your games page.

Trailer!
Watch the Tomb of Sammun-Mak trailer on Telltale's YouTube channel!

Reviews and stuff
Reviews are starting to appear! Beware of :spoil-o:!
Is it out yet? When will it be released?
It's out!

How about a "Did You Try?" list?
The forums are accumulating one in this thread. Join in with any hidden bits and alternate paths you found!

Where can I see art from the game?
The season-wide trailer and stuff is on the official site. You may also want to take a look at the Telltale blog, which includes this interview with Tomb of Sammun-Mak designer Andy Hartzell, as well as some screenshots and concept art!

What is the official marketing spiel for this game? I am dying to know!!!
"In the second episode, The Tomb of Sammun-Mak, the Freelance Police face even more bizarre and dangerous new characters (and some familiar faces). The game's designer calls this episode Sam & Max's "trippiest trip yet", as it features new psychic powers, peculiar foes, a journey on the Disorient Express and an ancient mysterious riddle from across the ages."

So you guys've been playing it, right? What do you think? Let's talk about games!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    sorry no need to go off topic but why is that steam release taking so long?
    sorry...
  • edited May 2010
    It always does. It may seem annoying right now but trust me, it does not matter that much... :)

Now, the IPAD release thing, THAT was annoying.
  • MRNMRN
    edited May 2010
    Still no poster? :(
  • edited May 2010
    is astral projection REALLY skipping parts of the game like it seems it is? cuz i'm afraid to use it for that reason
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Ha-haa! Released just in "Prime Time" in Germany. ;)

I've really enjoyed it up to now. Great ideas packed into it, or rather: The old ideas, presented very freshly in 1900's style. Unfortunately, I am pretty tired after work... and I stopped playing just now in favour of my all-too inviting bed...

More tomorrow! :D
    is astral projection REALLY skipping parts of the game like it seems it is? cuz i'm afraid to use it for that reason

You won't miss anything. In fact, the astral projection thingamajig is a genius invention that lets you
    skip forth AND back in the story
    . And that's what you'll have to do, in any case, to complete the game!
  • edited May 2010
    New member, long-time player though. I received the Monkey Island Special Edition via Steam as a gift, and promptly went about purchasing the Tales of Monkey Island, Sam and Max Season 1, Season 2, and now Season 3. I have to applaud Telltale Games for their tremendous quality that's brought these favorite characters back to life with awesome new stories.

However, now comes the bad part. Personally, I kinda feel like a red-headed stepchild today sitting around waiting aimlessly for news whether or not we will see Ep. 2 released via Steam today. What gives, TTG? If you only want folks to order materials via your website, then please state that to be the case, and don't offer it to be purchased via Steam's servers, so we have a clear understanding of your marketing wants.

As it sits right now, it's a pretty poor version of customer service on this end, when all I'd like to do is download and enjoy the game that I purchased as one of your customers. Some info would be greatly appreciated already. :(
  • edited May 2010
    I'm pretty sure the idea is to experience the story sort of... simultaneously. As in having to do one section to find the answer to a puzzle from a previous section.
  • edited May 2010
    New member, long-time player though. I received the Monkey Island Special Edition via Steam as a gift, and promptly went about purchasing the Tales of Monkey Island, Sam and Max Season 1, Season 2, and now Season 3. I have to applaud Telltale Games for their tremendous quality that's brought these favorite characters back to life with awesome new stories.

However, now comes the bad part. Personally, I kinda feel like a red-headed stepchild today sitting around waiting aimlessly for news whether or not we will see Ep. 2 released via Steam today. What gives, TTG? If you only want folks to order materials via your website, then please state that to be the case, and don't offer it to be purchased via Steam's servers, so we have a clear understanding of your marketing wants.

As it sits right now, it's a pretty poor version of customer service on this end, when all I'd like to do is download and enjoy the game that I purchased as one of your customers. Some info would be greatly appreciated already. :(
    Valve need to make a Steam version before it gets released.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Valve need to make a Steam version before it gets released.

I assume Telltale's influence on when it's available on Steam is rather limited, right?
  • edited May 2010
    Steve2911 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the idea is to experience the story sort of... simultaneously. As in having to do one section to find the answer to a puzzle from a previous section.
    so i'm spose to use it and shouldn't worry?
  • edited May 2010
    I assume Telltale's influence on when it's available on Steam is rather limited, right?

Pretty much.
  • edited May 2010

Sorry, I don't buy it. Why would they allow their games to be listed (as publisher/developer?) on Steam, if they had no control or input over their release?

And if it is a case of "Valve Time" jerking their customers around by delaying their releases, then TTG should be open enough to let folks know it's outside their control, and to only purchase via their site, not just leave people hanging.
  • edited May 2010
    Pure genius.
  • edited May 2010
    Sorry, I don't buy it. Why would they allow their games to be listed (as publisher/developer?) on Steam, if they had no control or input over their release?
    The game can't just automatically appear on Steam once Telltale gives them the code. And once the code is out of Telltale's hands, there's nothing Telltale can do -- they must wait for Valve to actually release the game to Steam.
    And if it is a case of "Valve Time" jerking their customers around by delaying their releases, then TTG should be open enough to let folks know it's outside their control, and to only purchase via their site, not just leave people hanging.
    I think Telltale has mentioned on numerous occasions that the Steam release is usually delayed by a few hours. It would make no sense for Telltale to abandon a valuable and profitable distribution system like Steam just because of a slight delay in a game's release there.
  • edited May 2010
    Nice game so far, but a question i thought i would never have to ask with a telltale game: Where can we report bugs?

Because:
    When asking the moleman "grandfather" during wheel 2 about "Benny's curse" the pc version gets stuck (Dialog "wheel" without anything to select).

Nothing major, but i thought it would be best to let people know (especially because the last autosave can be up to 30 minutes back).

Addition: Only happens if you are under his curse while asking.
  • edited May 2010
    Waiting for it to go on Steam stinks >_< lol
  • edited May 2010
    I'll look forward to playing this in 8 Days cause that's when we get it in the EU on PS3, for no reason really, it could of came out tomorrow, but I guess Sony EU wanted to be dicks.
  • edited May 2010
    :( It's STILL not out on steam yet.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Steam releases games as soon as they can based on when we get them a build. We had some tweaks we were working on this morning, so Steam got the builds a bit later than usual. The Steam versions are currently going through the approval process and then they should theoretically be good to go. That said, anything can happen but we will try to keep you up to date. Sorry for the delay!
  • edited May 2010
    Approval process ? They don't have to play the whole thing do they ? :o
  • edited May 2010
    LeBart wrote: »
    Approval process ? They don't have to play the whole thing do they ? :o
    I think
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    It's a quick process. The longest part is just downloading the game from their server.
  • edited May 2010
    Im still waiting on the PSN store to update so I can get the PS3 version... I really hate sony's lazy-ass update ethic

Come to think of it, I hate a lot of things...
  • edited May 2010
    Will wrote: »
    It's a quick process. The longest part is just downloading the game from their server.

Thanks you for updating us when you can.
  • edited May 2010
    Please don't do last minute tweaks! I don't get it. It's like studying few hours before an exam! Tweaks and tests are not for last minute!

I think the game "should" be locked a day in advance and the Steam people should have a copy well in advance.
  • edited May 2010
    So you'd prefer that Telltale stop working on it earlier and release a buggy game?
  • edited May 2010
    Is it out yet, on steam I mean.
  • edited May 2010
    Will wrote: »

Any further updates on their end? The suspense is killing me!

(Besides, I need to get ready to get some more AWESOME decals! (Can we have decals in Season 3 yet, please? I miss my pimped out ride from the end of 205 :D
  • edited May 2010
    In valve time this should take 5 weeks.
  • edited May 2010
    Tuqiri wrote: »
    In valve time this should take 5 weeks.

I'd die by then
  • edited May 2010
    Ok. It's now the 19 May and no Sam & Max. Where is it?

I know, its not the 19 May everywhere yet. But I'm on CEST. I have to go to bed now :(
  • edited May 2010
    Ok. It's now the 19 May and no Sam & Max. Where is it?

I know, its not the 19 May everywhere yet. But I'm on CEST. I have to go to bed now :(

Valve have it.
  • edited May 2010
    So you'd prefer that Telltale stop working on it earlier and release a buggy game?
    If they need to work on it till the last minute, they have a problem. They have to organize so they can finish it sooner.

Who says when they work till last minute there will be no bug? It's just bad planning on their part if they have to work right before the release time.

Episode I was ready in advance.
  • edited May 2010
    One question I have about the final part:
    Where were the Rhinoplasty and Mind Reading toys? I saw the Future Vision and Teleportation toys, of course, but not those two. And they were so prominently in the intro of the last episode.
  • edited May 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    If they need to work on it till the last minute, they have a problem. They have to organize so they can finish it sooner.

Who says when they work till last minute there will be no bug? It's just bad planning on their part if they have to work right before the release time.

Episode I was ready in advance.

Agreed.
  • edited May 2010
    It's released
  • edited May 2010
    It's released

No, it's not. :mad:
  • edited May 2010
    It's released

On steam?
  • edited May 2010
    Any iPad date yet? Is it going to be missing anything like the nutria-specs again? That made me sad last time :(
  • edited May 2010
    No, it's not. :mad:

it is in my imagination
Sign in to comment in this discussion.