Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak Discussion!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I. Love. The. Ventriloquism! Great job on it Telltale!
  • edited May 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I do believe that TT has broken the "Episode 2 is the weakest" chain for S&M.
    True.

But I hope they break the chain with increasing bug volumes. 301 already had plenty compared to MI (IMO) and 302 adds on top of that a lot :(.
  • edited May 2010
    True.

But I hope they break the chain with increasing bug volumes. 301 already had plenty compared to MI (IMO) and 302 adds on top of that a lot :(.

Indeed, I find that graphical errors run amok especially when it comes to lighting on character models, they certainly do break any immersion that may be going on

On a side note: I think it would be a great collector's item if the TT crew were to sell the projector from this episode as an actual working one. While yes the old reel to reel format has gone the way of the dinosaurs I think it would be cool if they were to make a modern digital projector out of it that when turned on the reels on top would rotate. Possibly some optional sound effects of an actual reel to reel projector mayhaps?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »
    EDIT: Almost forgot... HUGE missed opportunity: When "T-H-E-M" is spelled out, I was shocked (simply shocked!) that there wasn't a high-pitched scream in the distance. :p

... there wasn't?
  • edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    ... there wasn't?

Your own high-pitched screams don't count :p
  • edited May 2010
    Finished the episode last night. Or rather, this morning. First off, I think it's easily the most atmospheric game Telltale's ever done. The train reel was just like playing a part in Murder on the Orient Express - very engaging. Of course, this heavily builds on Jared's excellent music, too - while this episode doesn't have the kind of "hit" song as many earlier episodes, the tracks are blending in really really well with the graphics and the story.

I really liked the reels as a gameplay element - it was always a strong point in Telltale's games that they're striving to avoid linear story development, and The Tomb of Sammun Mak excels in this aspect, too.

The difficulty felt pretty much the same as other Sam and Max games - there were no mind boggling puzzles, but as a result, the gameplay and the story progression was quite fluent, and while I was looking for clues once in a while, the game provided me with plenty of entertainment - especially the psychic ventriloquism power.

The characters were great, just great - Kringle and Papierwaite were spot on, I've always liked Jurgen so it was nice to see his backstory, and I really don't understand what people have against baby Amelia. And of course, the subtly different Sameth and Maximus are a very easy-to-like duo.

The ending was a shocker, for sure. What happened to Sameth and Maximus felt a bit rushed to me, to be honest, but the ending for Sam and Max was very well done.

All in all, The Tomb of Sammun Mak is a great episode, it's a definite step forward after The Penal Zone - the third season of the Freelance Police's episodic adventures is turning out to be something grand. Well done!

Harald B wrote: »
    I think story-wise this is the most engrossing, can't-put-it-down one yet.

Hear hear. Planned to turn in early last night, after a quick fix of Sameth and Maximus, and then was just blinking while the credits were rolling and the clock said 1AM :)
  • edited May 2010
    I think it's easily the most atmospheric game Telltale's ever done.

I think TMI 104 and 105 could give this episode a run for its money for atmosphere.
    Trapped on an island in the dead of night when all the local inhabitants would sooner put your head on a spike as look at you, followed by a very Disney-like main character death and a predictable ending with a very shocking twist. Cue next episode, complete silence apart from a dog digging at your grave, slow zoom-out, followed by a feeling of helpnessness, the fight felt very real (like you were being thrown about by LeChuck not Guybrush) and the final scene at the crossroads was something really inspired.
    The characters were great, just great - Kringle and Papierwaite were spot on, I've always liked Jurgen so it was nice to see his backstory, and I really don't understand what people have against baby Amelia. And of course, the subtly different Sameth and Maximus are a very easy-to-like duo.

I agree. The lines and acting could not have been more fitting. The characters really felt memorable. To try to nail Sameth and Maximus vs Sam and Max down, Sameth was more dramatic and aggressive at times, while Maximus was less psychopathic more cowardly. Great 'tache and clothes!

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did and felt the ending was rushed.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh man, I really loved the character designs & costumes for Sammus, Cringle, & Jurgen!

So...if Sammus & Maximus never had kids, what plothole did Sam & Max pop out of? XD
  • edited May 2010
    The ending was a shocker, for sure. What happened to Sameth and Maximus felt a bit rushed to me, to be honest, but the ending for Sam and Max was very well done.

Isn't the point that the it was to find out why they were dead and then they just quickly get wiped out to say it wasn't that impressive. Kinda like the battle of the somme.
  • edited May 2010
    Just finished the episode...
    I didn't like it as much as The Penal Zone (best episode of all so far imo).
    Maybe it's because Skunkape was such a cool villain and Paperwaite felt really lacking in comparison. It was interesting to see how Jurgen became a vampire and it was neat how they fit Santa Claus in there though.
  • edited May 2010
    Papierwaite wasn't meant to be a cool villain, he was meant to be a secret villain who you don't suspect will be a villain. That's like criticizing a steak for not tasting like chicken.
  • booboo
    edited May 2010
    I think the lack of new characters hurt what was an otherwise stellar episode. The mole people... frankly, if this is the last I see of them, I would not miss them. They were used well (especially the elderly woman with the comic strip) but it's time to put 'em to bed. Kringle and the Elves and Jurgen worked because they aren't yet so overexposed. I think you guys really dropped the ball by not bringing in a race of cat people to interact with Sam in place of the moles. How can you do Egypt without cats? Especially when one of your protagonists is a dog.

Add me to the list of those that got emotional at the end.
  • edited May 2010
    Finished it seconds ago ! Very surprising structure (I wasn't quite sure I was playing the game right at the beginning, skipping to the end and all), Telltale shows yet again huge talent and creativity.

It was shorter than The Penal Zone for me, and I think we lose a tiny bit of that Twilight Zone ambiance, so Penal Zone is still my favorite Sam and Max episode so far !
  • edited May 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    I think TMI 104 and 105 could give this episode a run for its money for atmosphere.

Never saw the greatness in Tales Ep4, but you're right about Ep5 - very different atmosphere, but also excellent.
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did and felt the ending was rushed.
    jaden551 wrote: »
    Isn't the point that the it was to find out why they were dead and then they just quickly get wiped out to say it wasn't that impressive. Kinda like the battle of the somme.

My trouble with that scene is that it turns a quite comical / satirical story into cold drama in a matter of seconds. Some dramatic build-up would have done a lot of good. The final scene was much better constructed - and the pinch of humour didn't hurt, either.
  • edited May 2010
    I LOVE the new episode! The reel system was an awesome and interesting idea, and the game was more challenging than the previous one (mainly due to the lack of forecasting powers). One of the best Sam and Max episodes ever, if not THE best.
    I just hope that the "Monkey Island-ish" reuse of character models won't become a regular thing of this season. It was okay for this one, but shouldn't happen too often.
    (It kinda fits the moles to all be based on the same model, so they didn't bother me that much. And "The making of Jurgen" was actually ingenious. The least good it was used for Kringle and his elves. Looking like Santa and his elves though not really being related to them felt ... strange, even if the game made jokes of that itself...)

Further comments:
    - I got a bug right after getting the ventriloquist dummy (in eqypt). I tried right away to use it, and the game half-froze on me. Max could still look around, but no persons were sparkling, no persons could be chosen, and even clicking on the Sam icon in the top corner did nothing. (And as always in Max mode, the game menues weren't accessible.)
    - A smaller, but reoccuring bug:
    When a dialogue cutscene starts right after Sam hit Max into the air, the video usually started with Sam talking to an empty space. Then Max suddenly appeared there (not walked there, but just popped up). Another psychic power? XD
    - Noticed that the right bird guardian had Skunk'ape's voice (just slightly changed)? :)
    - In this season, most of the time Max (and Maximus) seems... less agressive than in previous seasons. Too "normal" - except for his not-so-normal psychic powers, of course. But the old Max was psychic even without special powers. ;)
    In general Sam and Max both seem to have forgotten that they love violence. Yeah, it is supposed to be an adventure game and not a fighting game, but it does feel akward sometimes when even little girls can block the main character's way that easily and Sam and Max don't even try to pull a fight or just push them away.
    - Like someone here mentioned before: The moles are funny here, but I start to feel that we have seen enough of them. Less moles in upcoming episodes, please! :o
  • edited May 2010
    Well first off, I have to say this might be Telltale's best episode yet. The homage to silent films, with a turn of the 20th century feel (for atmosphere, it doesn't get much better than
    1901 Straight & Narrow with jazzy ragtime or the Lawrence-of-Arabia-ish tomb music
    ) hit all the right notes. And I usually hate the ancient Egypt level in a game (Sonic 3 being a slight exception). It was also nice to switch up the 4-act formula for a change and use clues and foreshadowing from the future.

There were plenty of references that went into the plot and atmosphere, but what film was the main influence? I got a Peter Lorre vibe from Papierwaite, and the whole story (train trip to Egypt, uncovering ancient tomb) seemed familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Yeah, and also at the end, why did
    the protection spell turn them into skeletons?
    Just because? Or did I miss something?
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, and also at the end, why did
    the protection spell turn them into skeletons?
    Just because? Or did I miss something?
    The Curse placed upon the chest is a curse of death. Since the duo was hit with the curse, they were killed.
  • edited May 2010
    Okay, time to put my scattered musings in one place:

I loved it. This might actually be one of my favorite Sam & Max episodes, period. A chunk of that has to do with personal appeal, sure -- the late 19th/early 20th Century is an era I find innately fascinating/cool, and I always enjoy learning more about the family history of characters I love. Execution is key, however, and I don’t think I could be more pleased with how both of these elements turned out. The silent film allusions were great, and as others have mentioned, Sammun-Mak is up to its ears in atmosphere. Ye Olde Straight & Narrow is one of the most beautifully realized environments I’ve seen in a Telltale game. I wished more than a few times that I could stroll a little farther down the street.

For me, the puzzles were a step up from The Penal Zone, in large part due to how the reel-hopping was a factor in gathering clues. I’m still something of a newbie when it comes to adventure games, but one thing I’m learning (especially after playing Sammun-Mak) is that my favorites tend to include the necessity of doing something in a certain place and/or time that will affect what’s going on elsewhere. Besides that, I’d say the integration of puzzles with story comes close to rivaling Lair of the Leviathan. That, along with the atmosphere, is a huge part of what made the experience so absorbing. My usual routine is to take a couple days to finish an episode, but I was a) too into the story, and b) wanted way too badly to finish so I could hop online to see what everyone else was saying to stick with that.

I don’t seem to mind the character re-use as much as others. I only want their appearances -- whether completely new to us or not -- to have a real purpose and place in the story and/or puzzles. That doesn’t seem to be a problem here, though I can see where some are coming from with Kringle.

But back to the characters in general ... great fun. I loved Baby Amelia’s remodel; she now has something of a Kewpie doll-esque, uncanny valley look that’s a bit unnerving, yet somehow works. And her voice was awesome. Jurgen was splendid as usual -- backstory FTW! The thuggish elves, Kringle, Papierwaite ... they all held some welcome suprises. And I really enjoyed the molemen for most of the game. It wasn’t just Harry and some random, stock characters who happened to live under Sam and Max’s building. They each had distinct personalities, something resembling a fleshed-out cultural background (satirical though it was), and were uniformly well-written and entertaining for the most part.

Pretty much everyone has mentioned the best funny moments already. A number of my favorites came from abusing using the pyschic ventriloquism on Sameth. I also found Sameth’s initial
    (overdramatic)
    responses to Maximus
    getting zapped with the Holstein Hex
    , as well as trying to use your inventory on the latter in the aftermath, absolutely priceless.

A very minor criticism: the Easter Egg hunter in me wished there was more inconsequential fallout from using the ventriloquism on everyone and everything in sight. More havoc -- incidental to the story or not -- should have ensued from such power, darnit!

The tone Sammun-Mak’s final two scenes adopted were something of a pleasant surprise, although the first of them was mostly hampered by pacing issues. For example, I think just having a longer, awkward moment of shared silence amongst the mole family after
    Nefertiti accidentally zaps Sameth and Maximus with the Protection Curse and before they stroll out of the boiler room as if nothing had happened
    would have helped. And Pantagruel’s Friend may be onto something with his suggestion of having more build-up to the drama. Something still went right there, though, since I was stunned by how sad I was at
    Sameth and Maximus’ deaths
    , foregone conclusion or not.

Heck, I had figured from the start that
    the discovery of a brain-napped Max
    was a forgone conclusion as far as this episode’s cliffhanger, but ... oh God, that scene. Perfect. In pace, in tone, in “oh-lord-this-creeped-the-living-hell-out-of-me,” just perfect. As I mentioned elsewhere, this reminds me strongly of the part in “Bad Day on the Moon” where
    Sam realizes Max didn’t make it through the gate to the Dark Side of the Moon
    . There’s a rare slither of pathos at work here -- but also a touch of dark humor to remind us that this is still Sam & Max, after all.

So congratulations, Telltale. On both a marvelous game overall, and a cliffhanger which manages to be even more infuriating than the one that was actually a complete surprise! :D
    The Curse placed upon the chest is a curse of death. Since the duo was hit with the curse, they were killed.

Yup. There’s even foreshadowing to this, if you dare to have Sameth and Maximus
    touch the Toybox the very first chance they can. Which is, of course, after Grandpa Mole has activated the Protection Curse.
  • edited May 2010
    Hello,
    I bought the series on PSN. Played the first ep and loved it - how do I play the second episode???

Please help! I've been waiting all month for the release and I can't download it...

Cheers,

:(
  • edited May 2010
    Hello,
    I bought the series on PSN. Played the first ep and loved it - how do I play the second episode???

Please help! I've been waiting all month for the release and I can't download it...

Cheers,

:(

On the PSN Store home page, select "View All by Title," then browse to find Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse. Episode 2 will show up as a download for you there.
  • edited May 2010
    I have read some that disliked the use of Kringle and the elves (everyone seems to love Jurgen), but I thought it was a clever use of characters from season 2 while also expanding on the back story of them all. In the early 1900's political machines and "boss tweed" style corruption ran rampant, and commercial christmas and "Santa Claus" mythology had not been expanded to the extent as it is today. I thought it was funny to see that even loveable St. Nick could be corrupt back then.
  • edited May 2010
    AFGNCAAP wrote: »
    I thought it was funny to see that even loveable St. Nick could be corrupt back then.

Didn't Kringle claim that his brother was the charitable one? But this would not wxplain why Santa hates Children in Season 2.
  • edited May 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Didn't Kringle claim that his brother was the charitable one? But this would not explain why Santa hates Children in Season 2.

I don't see why he can't be charitable and hate children at the same time. Doesn't seem to me that he wants all children to perish in flames, he just wants to be away from them. He doesn't seem to mind sending them gifts and making them happy, as long as they leave him alone.
  • edited May 2010
    Ok, so forgive me if what I talk about has already been discussed... I'm not wading through this entire thread :)

Of course, HERE BE SPOILERS (but no real plot/puzzle ones)

At first I thought the idea of being able to jump anywhere in the story (between the four acts) was good, kind of a sneak peek of what's coming up - similar to Future Vision in The Penal Zone - but having to rely on it to solve some puzzles meant that you can progress a lot further in future acts before getting too far in the earlier ones. It became a little confusing story wise when Act 3 referred to stuff in Act 2 that you hadn't been able to do yet... because in order to progress in Act 2 you need to virtually complete Act 1, which relies on knowledge you get from Act 3... and so on. It'd have been nice to go back and watch key scenes from the earlier acts just to completely follow the plot...

Anyway... some really great laugh out loud moments, and I absolutely adored Baby Amelia Earhart in this one (never really cared for any of the babies in Moai Better Blues) and it was nice to see how Jurgen became a vampire - but no comments from modern day Sam & Max about it?

So well done Telltale, you're definitely telling stories in a different manner, using innovative puzzle mechanics, but gosh darn it can be confusing sometimes.
  • edited May 2010
    I didn't understand one thing.
    Yog-Soggoth's been summoned, am I right? Then, how did Sammeth and Maximus managed to capture the Toybox?
  • edited May 2010
    Papier Waite, in my opinion, is the best animated Telltale game character yet. His character model is so detailed, yet his animation is natural and not kinda robotic like some of the other more detailed characters (Skunkape for example), and his lip-synching is really, really good.
  • edited May 2010
    PISLIX wrote: »
    Yog-Soggoth's been summoned, am I right?
    I'm pretty sure it didn't work right, what with two of the toys that were so meticulously arranged around the toy box missing...

np: The Fall - New Face In Hell (Rebellious Jukebox Volume 2 (Disc 1))
  • edited May 2010
    AFGNCAAP wrote: »
    I thought it was funny to see that even loveable St. Nick could be corrupt back then.

Back then? NOW he outsource all the toy manufactoring to the South Pole! Where they use Child Labor! (Baby Penguins!) and He knows!
  • edited May 2010
    Molokov wrote: »
    It'd have been nice to go back and watch key scenes from the earlier acts just to completely follow the plot...

This would have been an good tool, especially for those who played the game in small amounts over several days (I don't know who would, especially since the game was so short). Still, when you finished a reel, (I don't believe) you could go back and visit it. I like the idea of putting an old reel back on and seeing the "important stuff" Also, putting on a reel that you are half-way through might have shown a summary of what had happened up until then.

Don't know if Telltale is listening, or if they are planning on returning to the use of the projector in future episodes. I imagine later episodes this season will be longer and more complex (At least I hope) and maybe a feature like this would benefit the player.
  • edited May 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it didn't work right, what with two of the toys that were so meticulously arranged around the toy box missing...

In addition,
    Papierwaite needed someone with The Gift to chant the summoning words. Which is what happens -- in a roundabout way -- but it looks like Maximus needed to be touching the Toybox as well. Or maybe it still wasn't seen as Maximus saying the words, regardless of the voice used. Otherwise, wouldn't you not get a death scene when you've already retrieved the dummy but then have Maximus say the right words anyway?
  • edited May 2010
    Here's another subtle inside joke I found:

In Kringle's rant after he gets knocked down by the Sphunx, he ends it with "you blathering blatherskite!" (or "blithering blatherskite"). The phrase "blathering blatherskite" was commonly used in the TV show "DuckTales". Terence McGovern, who voices Kringle (and ad-libbed the scene), also voiced Launchpad McQuack from "DuckTales".
  • edited May 2010
    I still can't get over my first laugh-out-loud moment in this episode. It's when Sameth does that limerick on the incription ... I'm still rolling on the floor.
  • edited May 2010
    In addition,
    Papierwaite needed someone with The Gift to chant the summoning words. Which is what happens -- in a roundabout way -- but it looks like Maximus needed to be touching the Toybox as well. Or maybe it still wasn't seen as Maximus saying the words, regardless of the voice used. Otherwise, wouldn't you not get a death scene when you've already retrieved the dummy but then have Maximus say the right words anyway?
    I don't remember them saying that the sacrifice had to have 'the Gift.' Maybe I just didn't notice it.

Though, Papierwaite said specifically that it would kill whoever was in the summoning circle, and in the explosion part it looked (to me) like he jumped out of it. That would also explain why the summoning failed, as there was no sacrifice, and as Papierwaite has some magic powers, as he was able to trap Sameth and magically switch places with Maximus, so he might have been able to disappear.
  • edited May 2010
    Papierwaite wasn't meant to be a cool villain, he was meant to be a secret villain who you don't suspect will be a villain. That's like criticizing a steak for not tasting like chicken.

I don't agree.
    I suspected there was something fishy about him right from the beginning.
  • edited May 2010
    zprospero wrote: »
    I don't remember them saying that the sacrifice had to have 'the Gift.' Maybe I just didn't notice it.

Though, Papierwaite said specifically that it would kill whoever was in the summoning circle, and in the explosion part it looked (to me) like he jumped out of it. That would also explain why the summoning failed, as there was no sacrifice, and as Papierwaite has some magic powers, as he was able to trap Sameth and magically switch places with Maximus, so he might have been able to disappear.

Okay, just watched the part in question via a walkthrough to refresh my memory ... (To anyone who hasn't played the episode yet or completed it up until the last reel, steer clear of this link.)
    Unless it's mentioned in a dialogue that's not covered in the video, I don't hear mention of a sacrifice -- though Maximus' (and Sameth's) death is of course the result of doing Papierwaite's bidding -- but several times where Papierwaite refers to Maximus' psychic abilities as the reason he chose him to be part of the summoning ritual. But it looks like Papierwaite attempting to jump out of the way is confirmed, and his trick with Sameth makes it clear that even his mere "parlor tricks" are pretty damn good ones. Not even to mention the other Yog-Soggoth related ones he might have up his sleeve ...
  • edited May 2010
    It's not mentioned in the video because
    that's what happens when you say the words and become the sacrifice, that's when he says that.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    It's not mentioned in the video because
    that's what happens when you say the words and become the sacrifice, that's when he says that.

Ah, that explains it! That was one of the
    deaths
    I haven't tried myself, you see. I only figured out that's what happened secondhand. :o
  • edited May 2010
    The Tomb of Sammun-Mak: You'll never cut cucumbers the same way again!

...anyhow I won't...
  • edited May 2010
    In addition,

But,
    when Papierwaite says the "Ommkay Omminay" words, the Toybox starts flaming outside (just like when Maximus said). Why?

And also Papierwaite uses some psychic powers, but it seems, he can't use the Toybox.
  • edited May 2010
    Haha, did anyone try talking to Cow-Maximus when Nefertiti first uses the Holstein Hex in the tomb in Reel 2? Hilarious.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.