Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak Discussion!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    My favorite death was
    getting sliced by the two doors trap.
  • edited May 2010
    I simply loved it. I had my low hopes about it, the second episode always seems to be the weakest with every Telltale series. Not this time. I enjoyed the out of order...ness to it, felt very Tarantino esque structure wise. I'm also obsessed with old turn of the century era stuff, so that helped too. All the backstories were cool, it was nice to see some character development.

Quite good all around I must say, though it was pretty easy, I never really got stuck on anything. Took about two sittings.

Overall I give a 9/10

So far this season is stellar, the best yet. The first episode was alright, but I like all the new sets and controls, everything just looks fantastic. The voice acting is also superb. I can't wait for what's in store for these two. I do miss Bosco though, I hope he comes back from Vegas soon.
  • edited May 2010
    Was it just me or was the music in the New York outdoors bit (don't want to spoil it too much) a Sam & Max take on the music in Wallace and Gromit? Sounded very similar.
  • edited May 2010
    Where is the Steam release?
  • edited May 2010
    SmokinDan wrote: »
    Was it just me or was the music in the New York outdoors bit (don't want to spoil it too much) a Sam & Max take on the music in Wallace and Gromit? Sounded very similar.

You're not the only one who thought that. Everytime I was there I was thinking to myself "Am I playing Wallace and Gromit or Sam and Max?" It didn't pull me out of the game, though.
  • edited May 2010
    SmokinDan wrote: »

True, it has a slightly different feel to it but it didn't make it feel any less like Sam & Max for me. That said, that particular location was amazing and they've obviously put alot of work into it.
    I'm very sad it didn't see more use than it did, but...you never know what they have in store for future episodes.

Overall it's a fantastic episode, I love it when you can die in adventure games; this was really awesome. I'm also still a bit tripped that Maximus is wearing clothes but it kinda grew on me.
  • edited May 2010
    Just finished it. Was good fun.
    I laughed when Maximus doesn't remember having kids... or maybe they've actually had previous affairs but didn't realize they'd wind up having descendants, whom the Mole People eventually tracked down.
  • edited May 2010
    Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying these on the Playstation store, in fear that my graphic card might have not been able to handle all the fancy new stuff added to the engine.

Played the PC demo and I was able to run it at the highest settings....grmbl...

What was my point again? Ah yes, I still have to wait a bit until the PS store updates before I can play the 2nd chapter. Looking forward to it!! :)
  • edited May 2010
    Hm... that's a bummer. I don't understand why they just release the PC version today and the Mac version tomorrow. Oh well.

steamplay if you play a steamplay listed game you own it for pc and mac on steam...
  • edited May 2010
    I loved the whole episode. Laughed and laughed and laughed
    to the end. Ending was a little bit harsh and sad for Max, actually.
    . And I learned one lesson. Don't read the episode names before you play. It gives away the ending. :)

Also I've experienced many bugs during the game. I don't know where to post, but here's at least what I can remember.
    Reel2:
    *On hieroglyph mode, walking on the topside of the first guard when second is not where it supposed to be. When road ends, game freezes.
    *When you're under effect of bad-luck charm, try using can-o-nuts right next to slicing blades. Volia, you got passed the blades, you're inside. (Actually I loved that bug, but it gave me nothing XD)

Reel3:
    *A bug occured and elves' room's wall perished when I was talking to Baby Amelia. The room became visible from the outside (Nothing in there, I saw with my own eyes, I guarantee you XD, not even a biplane, but one elf. The other elf teleports from nowhere if you'd like to talk to him.).

Reel4:
    *Whoops. When Maximus made Papierwaite say the final magic words, the ventriloquist toy stands right beside Papierwaite on the tongue of the door.

General:
    *Some items cannot be examined.
    *Some dialogues don't match the subtitles.
  • edited May 2010
    I need to stop clicking all the spoilers.
  • edited May 2010
    It was a lot buggier than the first episode alright.

Other than that, it was a great episode! Was kind of a let down only because it raised a lot more questions rather than explaining some, plot-wise.
  • edited May 2010
    :/ Waiting on Steam once again. D:
  • edited May 2010
    PISLIX wrote: »
    Also I've experienced many bugs during the game. I don't know where to post, but here's at least what I can remember.
    I had one when I used Charlie for first time in front of the Burial Chamber. I got stuck on Max's Mode and I cannot click in nothing at all. I had to restart and be careful in use Charlie for first time in other place. That was for the better actually, puzzle wise, but still a bug
  • edited May 2010
    :/ Waiting on Steam once again. D:

Wheres the Steam release , Its the god damn 19th now!
  • edited May 2010
    fedefrasis wrote: »
    Wheres the Steam release , Its the god damn 19th now!
    It was announced in a post yesterday that the game will NOT be released on Steam until today. Because valve are stupid.
  • edited May 2010
    This season is definetly the best so far when it comes to sheer gameplay value and story. So the basic themes of the seasons go

Hypnosis, then Time Travel and Satan, then Lovecraft and Psychic Powers?

Pretty weird progression, but Telltale is aweosme enough to pull it off.
  • edited May 2010
    Just finished! Woah! This was definately one of Telltale's best games. However, it was also one of their most buggiest too. There are a few too many situations that feels like the programmers thought "only the essentials". No offence though, the essentials worked out very very well. :)

A few positive points I recall:
    -Possibly the best voice acting in any Telltale game I've played. Not one miscast character, and no Brian Sommer! :D In fact the whole audio side of the game is a masterpiece.
    -Nice puzzle structure, different take on generic adventure game puzzle methods.
    -Very nice story, leading up to great things. Seriously, you guys know how to tell a story.
    -Didn't miss Bosco in this episode, unlike the last one. This shows we've moved past him now, and it might work out for the better...
    -Very nice visually. Not as big a jump as The Penal Zone, but the visual enhancements from previous seasons were very noticable here. Overall, very nice visuals.

A few negative points I recall:
    -Buggy, as mentioned before. Looking through this thread, it looks like many had the same bugs as me, nothing game halting for me though. Programming could've used some touching up.
    -Didn't laugh as much in this episode as the last one, or the majority of the previous 2 seasons. Dialogue was not up to scratch for me.

Overall, this was maybe on par with The Penal Zone, possibly better, but it's definately not a step backwards overall. Keep up the great work guys, looking forward to the rest of the season!
    :D
  • edited May 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    It was a lot buggier than the first episode alright.

Other than that, it was a great episode! Was kind of a let down only because it raised a lot more questions rather than explaining some, plot-wise.
    NeatNit wrote: »
    It was announced in a post yesterday that the game will NOT be released on Steam until today. Because valve are stupid.
    Will wrote: »
    Steam releases games as soon as they can based on when we get them a build. We had some tweaks we were working on this morning, so Steam got the builds a bit later than usual. The Steam versions are currently going through the approval process and then they should theoretically be good to go. That said, anything can happen but we will try to keep you up to date. Sorry for the delay!

could it be thought, that they are running an major bug hunt, to make sure the experience would be just perfect? ;)
  • edited May 2010
    Steam users are getting the game tomorrow due to how Valve Time works. >: (
  • edited May 2010
    jmm wrote: »
    Good episode though I found certain part of a puzzle rather dashing disturbing.
    Ooooh... extrapolate.
  • edited May 2010
    It has been released on Steam. Downloading it right now :D

Edited:I just got an error-messenger saying that the servers are bussy :(
    Edited 2: Got a slot on the server :D
  • edited May 2010

Weird my steam list didn't grew.
  • edited May 2010
    Wootman wrote: »
    Weird my steam list didn't grew.

There is a lot of Sam & Max owners, so I don't think Steam is able to update everyones gamelist at the same time. ;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    You probably have to quit and restart steam to see it.
  • edited May 2010
    very good and entertaining episode, a little harder than the first but still on the very, very easy side. not that I'm complaining, it's just almost un-puzzle-y with the "ZING" and "OH, I HOPE WE WOULD...." although I turned off all of the hints. the ending was anticlimactic imo and left me rather unsatisfied....the "twist" was signposted by Sam and the conclusion not so shocking considering the next episode's name has been known. Still a good episode and my favorite:
    "no, no, no, oh god no"
    it's a classic
  • edited May 2010
    steam srever error D:
  • edited May 2010
    mothra wrote: »
    very good and entertaining episode, a little harder than the first but still on the very, very easy side. not that I'm complaining, it's just almost un-puzzle-y with the "ZING" and "OH, I HOPE WE WOULD...." although I turned off all of the hints. the ending was anticlimactic imo and left me rather unsatisfied....the "twist" was signposted by Sam and the conclusion not so shocking considering the next episode's name has been known. Still a good episode and my favorite:
    "no, no, no, oh god no"
    it's a classic
    That is an excellent, detailed, spoiler-free post. Nice job ;)
  • edited May 2010

Finally! Gonna install it now.
  • edited May 2010
    When the heck will this episode be released on PSN?
    The europeen store is already updated, but theres no sign of Sam & Max which is weird since they managed to release the first episode on the same day as the PC version.
  • edited May 2010
    Zyrocz wrote: »
    When the heck will this episode be released on PSN?
    The europeen store is already updated, but theres no sign of Sam & Max which is weird since they managed to release the first episode on the same day as the PC version.
    The European PSN release is next Wednesday, May 26. This appears to be a decision by Sony and not Telltale.
  • edited May 2010
    God damn Sony :( First RDR release is set back in Europe, then they haven't been able to make enough copies of it to the PS3 in Scandinavia so we may not get it until next week, and now Sam & Max is set back 1 week.
    I almost want to turn pirat on this one and download it illegaly, just almost...
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    I'm slowly progressing this time because i also am fiddling around with my own softsynth but what i like is the doll of Max and especially his fuzzy vector eyebrows. :O)

It might be me but isn't this a reference to the living evil puppet of i think two episodes of the Twilight Zone? I could swear it somehow looks familiar. Oh, and i'm confused why the smaller version of it on the wheel looks different.

I love the Hercule Pirout feeling on the train but i found the snow area distracting as well as the elves, i would have prefered seeing much more of Egypt instead.
  • edited May 2010
    I finished the game yesterday.

I'm a huge fan for these old-timey situtions, but this episode made me happy. The music, settings, writing was just spot-on! I loved the return of
    Jurgen and the elves.
    I hope part 3 of the Devil's Playhouse is very good than the second.

Baby Ameila Earhart 4EVER!
  • edited May 2010
    Great episode. It was constantly inventive (tombs, a carnival show, a Last Express/Agatha Christie section and a "ghetto" Elves neighborhood?), the writing was mostly spot-on (Jurgen, Amelia, Nifintity - was that her name? Sorry, I'm tired; let's call her Bubbles - and Sloshie get a special shout-out) and the puzzles were clever. I loved that no-one from "The Penal Zone" showed-up. So yay, great job all around. I knew Andy Hartzell had it in 'im. (Well, you know. I'm like the world's biggest Fox Bunny Funny fan.)

On the other hand, some of the cutscenes felt unfinished, and not just from an editing/animation POV. The scene where Sammeth and Maximus turn into skeletons was....awkward. It just happens, the moles are like "Whatever" and that's it. Maybe the lighting is what made that scene (I was playing on graphical settings 3), but either way I didn't like it too much. I ended-up feeling empty.

Another unfinished scene was the Amelia Earhart "I got your Toybox!" scene. It felt a little rushed and awkward. Plus, I'd just removed my "repel women" power a minute ago, but...well.

Either way, great great game, and oh superbly designed. I think the train section's my favorite bit in any Sam and Max game so far.

Looking forward to the next one!
  • edited May 2010
    Finished it. Loved it. Not surprised.

The puzzles seemed a bit more obscure this time, but it was great. Especially seeing how
    Jurgen turned into a vampire.
    That was neat.
  • edited May 2010
    I imagine this is going to be a long post, here I go.

*smokes a cigarette* ok... here I go.. [don't smoke, kids]

Where to begin... Well first off: Great game!

I like the camera angles a lot, there are nice little things that can happen under the right circumstances, like the red train crossing light passing by the windows if the camera is on Sam while talking, Max picking his belly button lint and licking his finger while talking to Slushie, ect... but I'm sure you guys already know that. :o

I'm VERY happy with the updated 'weeeeee!' lines now. I'm not sure if you removed any, but I'm certain you added at least one new 'wee' line which is simular to the one in Season 1 and 2 I liked so much. Also I think you guys turned down the volume on the 'wooohooohooohoooo' line which was a good idea. They are all perfect now in my opinion.

I'm also VERY satisfied with the fact that the shading stripes and blocks that show up on lower graphics settings have been minimized. I'm not sure if this is due to an effort on your guys' part or just pure co-incidence but they showed up significintally less often than in 301 and they were only dramatic and distracting in two parts of the entire episode. Also I could swear the shading worked and looked a lot better on these lower settings than in 301. VERY happy with that. The entire episode looks fantastic, you guys seem to be definately stepping it up with the graphics.

However, it is my opinion that this is the EASIEST episode of Sam & Max ever. The only puzzle I really got stuck on for more than 5 or 10 minutes was trying to get over to the marquee to
    put the blocks in.
    Someone in another thread said 301 was slightly harder but I have to disagree. I have said before that I think you guys at TT got the difficulty level PERFECT in just about EVERY episode of Season 2. I've also said [or I think I did] ToMI was never challenging enough for me throughout the entire season, although I loved it a hell of a lot don't get me wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I hope the difficulty level gets ramped up quite a bit over the next 3 episodes. This is my only real gripe with 302.

Story was good I thought, although to be perfectly honest I'm not sure how much I liked skipping ahead, although it made for very interesting gameplay.

Well I guess that's my review for now. I feel like I'm forgetting something but I can always edit stuff back in later... Thanks for the game TT! Happy as always to play and had lots of fun. :)
  • edited May 2010
    That's my favourite (yes I'm British, get over it) episode to date! Verrrrry sleepy now so I'm make this brief.

The return of old characters was done very well, the backstories amusing in a clever way you can't really laugh so much as nod, voice acting was superb, the new S&M model outfits were brilliant, the puzzles had me stumped a few times but there was only one occasion I couldn't figure it out on my own, the tomb and train were appropriately big, I really liked the visuals in this game, I've been totally won over by the chop-change storytelling method used and...just generally blown away by the whole thing. Fantastic work TT and I hope this is a sign of things to come!

One negative point: the ending. It left me cold too because the key moment happened too quickly.

9/10 isn't enough and it wasn't quite perfect (but bloody close), sooo...

99% :D
  • edited May 2010
    I was a bit worried about this episode at first, but after playing it I have to say.....THE DEVIL'S PLAYHOUSE IS SLOWLY BECOMING MY FAVORITE SEASON EVER!!!!! with this episode precisely: it had thrills, comedy, twists, comedy, a breath-taking cliffhanger, AND F&*KING COMEDY!!!! I usually worry that with a new season, most shows start losing their funny, BUT TTG PROVES ME WRONG BY PRODUCING COMEDY GOLD!!!! plus, it's kinda nice to see Sam & Max's relatives. and I can definately see improvement's in Nowlin's acting as Sam. when I saw what happened to Max at the end...I was seriously freaked out

overall: I give episode 2: 50/10 stars!!

in basic terms: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak was the highlight of my week, as shall next episode
Sign in to comment in this discussion.