The Last Item You Purchased?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    But it's converted to 3D, so why would you even want it in the first place? Even believers in 3D say that converted movies look terrible.

I haven't seen any converted 3D movie so I didn't know there all concidered but I had a feeling that Lion King would be awful in 3D.
  • edited October 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    I haven't seen any converted 3D movie so I don't know but I assumed that Lion King would be awful in 3D.

It looked awful in the freaking commercials. That is not a good sign.
  • edited October 2011
    films that just pull a 2D image out at you like a dollar store pop-up book.

Actually... I think that the pop-up book idea could make an rather interesting film concept where 3D might actually bring some artistic value to a movie, rather than being a cheap gimmick. Like...if the point of the film was that it was a pop-up book or the film was intentionally done in a pop-up book style, maybe a 2D animation where the 3D is layered to give the effect of viewing a living pop-up book. I can actually view this as being something I'd want to see.
  • edited October 2011
    Actually... I think that the pop-up book idea could make an rather interesting film concept where 3D might actually bring some artistic value to a movie, rather than being a cheap gimmick. Like...if the point of the film was that it was a pop-up book or the film was intentionally done in a pop-up book style, maybe a 2D animation where the 3D is layered to give the effect of viewing a living pop-up book. I can actually view this as being something I'd want to see.

It's worth noting that the 3D in the new Paper Mario game on 3DS looks stunning.
  • edited October 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    I haven't seen any converted 3D movie so I didn't know there all concidered but I had a feeling that Lion King would be awful in 3D.

I saw it. It was... interesting. It definitely wasn't layered like I assumed it would be. It felt almost as if they had converted the characters into 3D models, but they still looked exactly the same (I can't think of a better way to word that, sorry. :V ) All in all, I wouldn't be against them doing more movies like that.
  • edited October 2011
    Zeek wrote: »
    Unless you are watching Clash of the Titans remake. Seriously, Liam Neason's hair is BEHIND his face and shows no spacial connection to his temple at all.:rolleyes:

Or The Last Airbender.
  • edited October 2011
    detail-111003.jpg

Now you're stinking with portals.
  • edited October 2011
    Kung Fu Panda 2. The opening is EXACTLY that, only with Chinese Shadow puppets!
  • edited October 2011
    Kung Fu Panda 2. The opening is EXACTLY that, only with Chinese Shadow puppets!

But isn't it weird to have shadow puppets that pop out of the screen?
  • edited October 2011
    But isn't it weird to have shadow puppets that pop out of the screen?

No, they do the opposite, actually. The intro goes INTO the screen. There is no pop-out from what I remember. It was really impressive.
  • edited October 2011
    No, they do the opposite, actually. The intro goes INTO the screen. There is no pop-out from what I remember. It was really impressive.

Huh. I'll have to look into that at some point. Never really got into the Kung Fu Panda stuff...guess I'll need to check it out now.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2011
    JedExodus wrote: »
    It has quests, and shooting and John Goodman, i'd lie if I said I wasn't tempted.

It has Steam also, and that's it pretty much for my temptation. Are the times completely gone when you'd pop a DVD into your drive and the game just friggin runs?!?
  • edited October 2011
    It has Steam also, and that's it pretty much for my temptation. Are the times completely gone when you'd pop a DVD into your drive and the game just friggin runs?!?

Yup, and thank god for that. They made it so you don't even need the disk! How incredibly convenient.
  • edited October 2011

Your aversion to Steam is both strange and slightly concerning in its intensity.
  • edited October 2011

I have no idea what times you are talking about. Those never existed except for consoles. Maybe you are talking about consoles. Are you?
    What is the big difference between Steam and a disc-check? Oh yeah. I don't need the disc to play when I use Steam. Steam wins. Fatality.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I have no idea what times you are talking about. Those never existed except for consoles. Maybe you are talking about consoles. Are you?

If you don't want to include the process of having to install a game (which I would in this case), there's still my C128 and my Amiga 600, both of which weren't consoles and worked exactly that way. So these times DID exist - that's the kind of emotional baggage you get when you start gaming long before a Monkey Island is even on the market.

Maybe I'm just not comfortable with having this kind of freedom stolen out of my back pocket, or maybe I am just too damn old to accept all that newfangled crap! :D
    Your aversion to Steam is both strange and slightly concerning in its intensity.

Whatever the reason, nothing to worry about. The aversion to Steam is a simple principle that is not necessarily very intense. If too many games a year get stricken off my list because their use of Steam is announced, I get... shall we say... annoyed.
  • edited October 2011
    Well I have about 50 games installed right now and can play them any time without searching for a disc and without using a cracked .exe. (a lot of them don't even have a disc-version though).
  • edited October 2011

I have a backup plan anyways. Keep the files on my HDD and download cracks, easy peasey if worst comes to worst.

Also, today I bought a motherboard, a Hard Drive some RAM and a few tins of Root Beer. Then I got roped into lugging a big ol' washing machine about.
  • edited October 2011
    I got a copy of Invaders Must Die. It's ironic that my band covered it and I still haven't heard the original. Here's the cover in case any of you care, BTW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_yIe2ED98g&feature=related
  • edited October 2011
    Little Big Planet 2 & Lego Harry Potter years 1-4
  • edited October 2011
    Ordered Deus Ex Human Revolution for Zavvi.
  • edited October 2011
    ted12 wrote: »
    I got a copy of Invaders Must Die.

Great album!
  • edited October 2011
    Chili! Extra spicy because my mouth pain/temperature receptors seem to have recently all moved out.
  • edited October 2011
    2 bottles of coke, 1 bag of sweets and Marabou Chocolate with Daim.
    I need some sugar to stay awake at work, not because it's boring but because I am really tired.
  • edited October 2011
    Witcher 2.

Roche made me do it.
  • edited October 2011
    Ordered Deus Ex Human Revolution for Zavvi.

Be sure to prepare for the boss battles. They are pretty cheap on stealth/nonlethal runs, but manageable if you prepare.
  • edited October 2011
    1000 piece puzzle. £5

Not any puzzle though.

I think I may have found one of the hardest puzzles ever!

Its pieces are almost 1/4 of the size of a normal piece.
    And, its picture is of the Great Pyramids of Giza.

Worlds_Smallest_Pyramids_of_Giza_jigsaw_puzzle.jpg

Bwahaha! I'd love to see my little bro struggle! >: D
  • edited October 2011
    51JNlhezD9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    Tickets to see

johnny_english_reborn_000.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    Pre-Ordered Orcs Must Die! on Steam.

Darkwing Duck Vol. 1: The Duck Knight Returns
    Darkwing Duck Vol. 2: Crisis On Infinite Darkwings
    Darkwing Duck Vol. 3: F.O.W.L. Disposition

And a bag of crisps. :)
  • edited October 2011
    Darkwing Duck Vol. 1: The Duck Knight Returns
    Darkwing Duck Vol. 2: Crisis On Infinite Darkwings
    Darkwing Duck Vol. 3: F.O.W.L. Disposition

Are those the trade paperbacks? And why can't I find the Rescue Rangers trades anywhere?!:(
  • edited October 2011
    Are those the trade paperbacks?

Yes they are, 4 comics bundles up, and with all the covers and sketches as bonus content. :)

EDIT: Just Pre-ordered Nickelback's upcoming cd: Here and Now.
  • edited October 2011
    Steve-Jobs-Biography-by-Walter-Isaacson-cover.jpg
    gold-ion-predator-zero-carbon-fiber-iphone-4-case.jpg
    517N2tdN66L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    harve.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    419qKuqyzyL._SS400_.jpg
    For £2.09.
    Although its dropped in price to £1.98 and its star rating has dropped to three from four overnight. NOT HAPPY.

Meh, I'll only be using it to read one, maybe two books with.
  • edited October 2011
    sonic-adventure-2-battle.429107.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    SPOOOOOKY

I'm gonna put these on a pumpkin candy dish in my bathroom as decor and see how many of my bathroom visitors are desperate enough to eat candy corn placed in a bathroom.
  • edited October 2011
    DW123.png
  • edited October 2011
    It has Steam also, and that's it pretty much for my temptation.
    The aversion to Steam is a simple principle that is not necessarily very intense. If too many games a year get stricken off my list because their use of Steam is announced, I get... shall we say... annoyed.

I was averse to Steam when I bought SOMI:SE back when it came out. I didn't want it running in the background when I played my game, because I had no Steam friends to care about knowing what they were up to and only one Steam game. Now I have about 45 Steam games, and though I haven't used IM software on my PC in a long time I have had more than a fair few interesting conversations via Steam with people I know from here.

Once you have a sufficient number of Steam games to just let the client run all the time, you get to where you don't care about it being there anymore.

Valve is not Apple, and Steam is not iTunes. Steam's DRM really is not that intrusive; it is neither bloatware nor a memory hog; there are reasonable sales going on frequently for really good games; no disc is required to play games (which I really like); if a game requires patching it is done automatically...

With companies out there like Ubisoft who are crazygonuts for very restrictive DRM, Valve is actually really good to gamers with their DRM model. Personally I would prefer having my Steam client running behind a game to having to hunt down and swap discs every time I want to play a different game. Also I enjoy being able to buy a game without having to leave the house to shop retail at Best Buy for it nor waiting for days for Amazon to ship the disc to me.
  • edited October 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I was averse to Steam when I bought SOMI:SE back when it came out.

Same here. I only had the SEs for a long time, until I went on parental leave from work and had a couple of hours to kill during my son's afternoon nap each day for a couple of months. I then found that the convenience in having a huge library of easily accessible games slightly outweighed any misgivings I had about the application and their EULA. I'd still rather buy downloadable games directly from the developer though, but with a lot of games, that's not an option.

The list items I bought were groceries yesterday. Bread, milk, ham, cheese, bananas and a plastic bag.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.