FAQ for new posters & ask general questions here!

edited October 2011 in Back to the Future
Seeing as there are a lot of new posters coming here asking the same question, a FAQ seems like a good idea.

Q: Is there an official site?

A: 9/2/2010 - Indeed there is! Here is the link in case you haven't seen it yet...

http://www.telltalegames.com/bttf

Q: Where can I find official Telltale news, release dates etc regarding BTTF?

A: 3/26/2011 - For official updates, check out the Telltale blog, subscribe to the email newsletter/updates, or look for stickied threads on the forum here.

Q: When will Back to the Future be released? [EDITED]

A: 12/22/2010 - The date is set! Episode 1 will be released December 22nd!

Link

A: 12/2/2010 - Still no exact days, but we do know the release months for 4 of the 5 episodes courtesy of the official BttF Game trailer.
Episode 1 - December / Episode 2 - February / Episode 3 - March / Episode 4 - April

Link

Q: What platforms will Back to the Future - The Game be released on? [EDITED]

A: 10/25/2010 - The officially announced platforms are as follows...
PC, Mac, PS3 (via PSN) and iPad

As of right now, there are no plans to release the game on XBox 360 or the Wii consoles.

Q. What are the system specs for PC and Mac?

A: 12/17/10 - Official specs...

PC:
Minimum Specs
Processor: 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Video Card: ATI or NVidia card w/ 256 MB RAM
Direct X: Direct X 9.0c
Audio card required

Recommended Specs
Processor: 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Video Card: ATI or NVidia card w/ 512 MB RAM
Direct X: Direct X 9.0c
Audio card required

Mac:
Minimum Specs
Processor: 2.0 Ghz Intel or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Video Card: 256 MB NVidia or ATI graphics card
Not recommended for Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

Recommended Specs
Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Video Card: 512 MB NVidia or ATI graphics card
Not recommended for Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

Q: Will the original actors be back to voice the characters? [UPDATED x2]

A: 10/23/2010 - It's now official that Michael J. Fox will not be reprising his role as Marty McFly, HOWEVER, Telltale has found a excellent replacement for him in A.J. Locascio. See the first link for the Behind the Scenes feature introducing Mr. Locascio and the second link to see his demo reel from YouTube with lines from the original BttF. You'll be impressed.... :D

Link - Behind the Scenes: Hey McFly!

Link - YouTube: A.J. LoCascio Demo Reel

A: 9/1/2010 - USA Today has announced that Christopher Lloyd WILL be reprising his role as Dr. Emmett Brown for the game. No other actors have been mentioned at the time of this update.
Being developed by Telltale Games, the Back to the Future game series will include the likenesses of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, who portrayed the characters Marty McFly and Doc Brown in the films, which listed Steven Spielberg among the executive producers. (Lloyd will also provide his voice for the games.)

Link

A: 8/13/10 - This is not known yet. However, in an interview with IGN during E3 2010, Telltale Games' chief technology officer and founder Kevin Bruner had this to say...
I asked if it would be possible to be called a "butthead" by the Biff Tannen. Bruner seemed to think there was a strong possibility I will be satisfied.

Link

Q: Will the game be translated/subtitled into other languages?

A: 9/1/10 - Nothing has been officially released about what languages the game will be translated or subtitled into. However, it's a safe bet that Telltale Games will do similar translations as they have for their other games.

Q: Is the Back to the Future going to be a prequel to the movies, a continuation of the trilogy or will it simply copy the plots of the movies? [UPDATED x2]

A: 10/23/10 - It's official now that the game will take place roughly 6 months after the events of the third movie. According to the Director of Episode 1, Dennis Lenart, the game will start out examining Marty's life without his best bud Doc, the DeLorean will then reappear and Marty will have to travel back in time to find Doc who's stranded somewhere. That, as of now, is all we know about the plot for the game.

Link

A: 9/8/10 - According to Telltale game designer Dennis Lenart in a interview with The SpoonyOne, the game will take place AFTER the original trilogy.
It's not a sequel necessarily, but it does take place after the events of the first three films.

Link (quote @ the 4:00 mark)

Q: What type of game will Back to the Future be? [UPDATED]

A: 10/23/10 - As expected, BttF The Game will definitely be an Adventure Game.

Link

Q: Will the game be canon in the Back to the Future Universe? [UPDATED x2]

A: 10/23/10 - Here is the answer to this very question from BttF series creator and Telltale consultant, Bob Gale in a Q&A he did with fan submitted questions from posters on this very forum!...
Only the movies are canon. Everything else fits into the 'what-if?' category, or might be canon in some alternate universe.

Link

A: 9/4/10 - In a interview with IGN at PAX, it was revealed that the team writing BttF is taking great care to make sure everything fits in with the time-line established in the films...
According to Telltale, one of the great challenges when scripting the Back to the Future games is dealing with the three separate timelines established by the movie trilogy. A lot of fun ideas have been scrapped because they would cause a paradox (the really bad kind) with the events in the films. Those that survive this process are further trimmed by one final check: it has to pass the test of "would this happen in the films?" Apparently, authenticity has caused a lot of sleepless nights among the Back to the Future team.

Link

A: 8/13/10 - Going back to Sinaz20's post, it's safe to assume that it will be...
As with any licensor, we are bound by guidelines, rules, and cannon that the property owners consider essential to the license. Even if we create new characters, they have to be approved by the Bob Gale/Universal machine, who so far have been very excited by the ideas we have been presenting them, and have been tossing equally exciting "why not's" back at us. We are pretty much ignoring the cartoons, for what it's worth, and focusing simply on the cannon as presented in the movies and creating new cannon with the blessing of Bob Gale.

Link

Q: Who do I get to play as in the Back to the Future game? [UPDATED]

A: 10/25/10 - According to game director Dennis Lenart, the player will play as Marty McFly.

Link

A: 8/13/10 - Yet once again, we don't know. As you can see, there isn't a whole lot that's "officially" known about the game yet. However, the likelihood is that it will be about the main characters we know and love; Marty, Doc, Biff, etc. According to the previously quoted Sinaz20...
Ultimately, something I emphasize almost every time I respond to a thread here, those of us working on Back to the Future are passionate about the movies. We don't want to make a game that features random, unknown characters driving a time travelling Mini Cooper.

For us, it's all about Doc, Marty, Biff, Einstein and a DeLorean-- and the family-based drama they deal with throughout time in Hill Valley.

Link

Q: I have a question that wasn't covered here, where can I find that answer?

A: 12/18/10 - First thing you'll want to do is check out this link....

General Telltale Games FAQ

If your question still isn't answered there, please read through the later posts in this thread (roughly page 17 or so) to see if your question has already been asked.

If your question STILL isn't answered, then feel free to post your question and see if any of us can answer it.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Nice work.
  • edited August 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Nice work.

Thanks! :D

Hopefully it will help cut down on a lot of the repeat questions we get from new posters.
  • edited August 2010
    You would think so, but I wouldn't put money on it...
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Seeing all my quotes lined up like that makes me sweat!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Love it, thank you! :D :D :D

...still, it's "canon", not "cannon"... ;)
  • edited August 2010
    This thread should be renamed: FAQ for New Posters-What We DON'T Know!
  • edited August 2010

Then they'll just ignore it.

But nice job on the list.
  • edited August 2010
    This is good. BTTF's first sticky perhaps?
  • edited August 2010

He's a loose cannon!
  • edited August 2010
    This is good. BTTF's first sticky perhaps?

I agree, but for some reason I've known a lot of forum users to ignore stickies.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010

That's was my fault-- the FAQ needs (sic) foot notes on all those quotes.

Some writer I am :P
  • edited September 2010
    Updated!
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks for posting this
  • edited September 2010
    I'm so glad they confirmed that it's not a retelling of the movies, and that it's canon!
    edited September 2010

Socrates would have to say a lot to this.

We might add a voluminous FAQuestion to this, which is "will this be translated/ subtitled in other languages". These questions will increase with every new announcement about the BTTF games.
  • edited September 2010
    Someone should sticky this thread... ::D
  • edited September 2010
    I find that sticky threads are less visible than ones that ebb and flow up and down the page with new information/discussion. Stickies just blend into the surroundings after a short while.
  • edited September 2010
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's an official site. There's not much on there yet, apart from a first look at a certain time machine...

• edited September 2010
    Nice find. No doubt the URL in the press release http://www.backtothefuturegame.com will be set to redirect there soon.
  • edited September 2010
    It already does. That's how I found it!
  • edited September 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's an official site. There's not much on there yet, apart from a first look at a certain time machine...

Nice find. I wonder how accurate that DeLorean is to TTG's concept art. Or maybe that is part of their concept art...
  • edited September 2010
    No offense but...

bttf_catbox.png

That Doc is REALLY creepy. He looks like he just got back from the psycho ward and dug up a ton of bodies.

Marty looks pretty good, but if I have any complaints it's definitely Doc. At least fix his eyes before the final project.
  • edited September 2010
    I agree. I like my Emmett Brown wide-eyed and silly, not intense and possibly deranged.

Also, WHEN CAN WE START PRE-ORDERING THE COMPLETE SEASON
  • edited September 2010
    I know going off topic is what we do around here, but I may take off some of these discussions of the concept art and move them to another thread.

Let's try and keep this thread to the 'info' not people's opinions, please.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh man, i hope a more action oriented game, point-and-click?, well i hope it's goooooood...(and no, i havn't played a Sam & Max game ever, but i play Grim Fandango and Broken Sword, i enjoy them, but i think Bttf it´s more about the action and story)
  • edited September 2010
    How does your definition of 'action' manifest itself in the movies?
  • edited September 2010
    How does your definition of 'action' manifest itself in the movies?

They're running a lot, chased by bad guys, there are a lot of action scenes actually.

Let's say that we hope the gameplay is a little more action packed.

If it's a point and click, DO A POINT AND CLICK ! I'm sick of this horrible controls Monkey Island and Sam and Max have, where you can't click where you want to walk... And this direction circle also ruins the immersion in my opinion, I don't like it one bit .... Why can't we just click and walk ... ? Since we still have to click on items... (anyway there were still incredible games, but would be cool to change that for BTTF)
  • edited September 2010
    The action scenes are important, yes, but they take up a surprisingly small chunk of the franchise. The first movie only really has the Libyan chase, the skateboard chase, the clock tower scene, and maaaaaaybe you can count the scene where George punches Biff.
  • edited September 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    If it's a point and click, DO A POINT AND CLICK ! I'm sick of this horrible controls Monkey Island and Sam and Max have, where you can't click where you want to walk... And this direction circle also ruins the immersion in my opinion, I don't like it one bit .... Why can't we just click and walk ... ? Since we still have to click on items... (anyway there were still incredible games, but would be cool to change that for BTTF)

Because clicking and walking requires for the floor to be seen in every shot, which restricts camera angles, making it impossible to have better, more cinematic shots.
    Strayth wrote: »
    They're running a lot, chased by bad guys, there are a lot of action scenes actually.

Have you played Wallace and Gromit Grand Adventures? They did that perfectly.
  • edited September 2010
    Have you played Wallace and Gromit Grand Adventures? They did that perfectly.

I did not.
    Because clicking and walking requires for the floor to be seen in every shot, which restricts camera angles, making it impossible to have better, more cinematic shots.

I'm not really sure the Runaway series are having any trouble getting "cinematic shots" for their games, and they're still having great, while classic, controls.

Also, maybe that's just me, but what I always loved about adventure games, is that I'm in a story. It's like I'm "inside" it. I take my time, I try to make my actions realistic.

I'm the kind of the guy who walks more than he runs in those games. For instance in Gabriel Knight, I spent hours doing nothing but having fun without getting clues on the main story.

Though I understand the problem with "3D" games, I am really hating the "mouse control" they came up with. I just hate seeing a circle around my character, it's not like I'm watching a story, it's like I'm watching a video game. That circle has just absolutely no "reason" to be here and that kinda bothers me. It's like using the circle in the last chapter of Monkey Island, it would just ruin it cause the atmosphere is so amazing, and this single circle turns into "a simple video game" right away. So I'm forced to use the keyboard. And it's painfull but at least I can enjoy the whole game without cringing about the circle.
    Now, let's be fair, out of all the shots of the games, there aren't 10% of them that couldn't be played with a "click" control. And don't forget that in old games, even when you couldn't see the floor exactly, cliking with left click used that direction to move the character. As for the "exits", well every game always pointed them out with a different cursor and you could easily go wherever you wanted.

Telltale makes 3D games but they're essentialy thought in 2D. (Except for a few special areas)

And 2d adventures games always had great shots, so it's not impossible to have both.

Since it's also coming on the 360 and PS3, I think we can expect simpler controls and maybe something allowing some action scenes.

I hope TellTale will think about something else for the Pc controls, but that won't make it a bad game.

I'm really grateful for their work on the LucasArts licence, and I'm sure the story, music, characters, puzzles etc... will be epic on BTTF.

I just hope the graphics and controls can be decent so it doesn't take anything away from the experience. ^_^
  • edited September 2010
    Might want to add the title "Back to the Future: The Game" to the section about the title of the game. That's what all the props/posters/ads are calling it.
  • edited September 2010
    Wallace & Grommit reminded me a lot of the intense and suspenseful action oriented puzzle sequences in Full Throttle. Quite well done I think. If they do anything like that for BTTF I'll be very satisfied.
  • edited September 2010
    Good news and nice interview!
    I hope this game will be so interesting!
  • edited September 2010
    I cannot wait for this - as a die hard fan of the BTTF series and adventure games, I couldn't be looking foward to this game more. It has the potential to be truly superlative.
  • edited September 2010
    Update with new information.
  • edited September 2010
    I know this has been posted before somewhere else, but I just wanted to point out in particular that yes, there is a Marty model. He doesn't seem to be animated according to the video (here), but they're making progress pretty fast.

newmodel.png

From a make-your-own thingy at PAX.
    edited September 2010
    olimango wrote: »
    Might want to add the title "Back to the Future: The Game" to the section about the title of the game. That's what all the props/posters/ads are calling it.

Hopefully, preliminarily. :D

/edit: The imdb-site of the game now lists the release date as November 5, 2010. Where that information came from, only Satan knows. Sounds a little delusional to me - that's just too early to get ANYTHING finished. Wouldn't want a first BTTF episode like Sam&Max's last... :(
    edited September 2010
    Hey, Spykes, don't neglect your duties! :D :D

Add to Q: When will BTTF be released?

The answer hasn't changed: Winter 2010. But as for the sources, the official website bears this stamp, and it was repeatedly stated by Dennis Lenart at PAX. Bob Gale threw some inconsistency into the mix by assuming a release very close to the triology blu ray release. But that may be wishful thinking on his part. ;)

Add to Q: Will the original actors be back?

As we all know, Christopher Lloyd has begun recording his lines, while an interesting infomation policy has begun by NOT announcing whether any of the other actors might be back. If there's no further announcement before we get a release date, it's all over. :D
  • edited September 2010
    Hey, Spykes, don't neglect your duties! :D :D

There hasn't been any new news to post.
    Add to Q: When will BTTF be released?

The answer hasn't changed: Winter 2010. But as for the sources, the official website bears this stamp, and it was repeatedly stated by Dennis Lenart at PAX. Bob Gale threw some inconsistency into the mix by assuming a release very close to the triology blu ray release. But that may be wishful thinking on his part. ;)

Add to Q: Will the original actors be back?

As we all know, Christopher Lloyd has begun recording his lines, while an interesting infomation policy has begun by NOT announcing whether any of the other actors might be back. If there's no further announcement before we get a release date, it's all over. :D

The first question is #2 on the list, and no offense, but yours doesn't really say anything that mine already says.

And your second question is the 5th one, and again, your answer doesn't really add anything new/different to what I already have.
    edited September 2010
    Don't be offended - no need to.

The "Add to" badges were of course meant to directly reference your already existing questions, and my suggested additions to them were confirmations of the release schedule and the confirmation of the beginning recording sessions with Christopher Lloyd, nothing more and, of course, completely optional additions. Keep up the good work! ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.