Possible BTTF Season 2 ideas/speculation/suggestion

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Hey you guys listen to this;The new/last behind the scenes video of the makers and cast of the bttf game talk about the last episode of the game; with Michael J.Fox getting involved, things leading up to the end of the game and such, but one thing that realy caught my attention; is what AJ LoCascio (voice of Matry Mcfly) said close to the end of the video (2:34 of 3:10 on Telltale's BTTF the game page or on Youtube to be exact,) and-I-quote, "You know where it leaves us, I uh, it just makes my want to see what the next adventure is."
    Could he be hinting that there might already be more BTTF from Telltale games sometime in the futrure?
    =O
    What do you guys think?
  • edited July 2011
    Warning: ending spoilers/speculation

This will sound crazy at first but bear with me, I'll try to make it make some sort of sense.
    Is it possible that the DeLoreans from the ending are all 2025 temporal duplicates? According to what we understand about the temporal duplication process (or so I believe), it allows the temporal duplicate to exist outside of the normal laws of the space-time continuum (or else the DeLorean would have faded out of existence along with LP Doc upon arrival in FCB-1986 since FCB had never had the inspiration to build a time-traveling DeLorean in the first place.)

Couldn't that therefore mean that if the future timeline is altered from a point in the past that does not also alter the creation of the temporal duplicate (by preventing the course of events that resulted in LP Doc's jump back to 1885 in BTTF Part II) that it would end up creating additional duplicates each time the future is changed? Because the previous duplicate would not cease to exist just because everything else in that version of 2025 did?

Now because every moment of the entire timeline is basically playing itself out simultaneously (even though the future can be overwritten) these DeLoreans are "immediately" recovered by a version of Doc or Marty in that respective timeline. So I'm thinking that somehow, and I'm still piecing this part together, that perhaps the temporal duplicate thus becomes trapped in its own timeline. So you have a temporal duplicate DeLorean in 2025-B, 2025-C, and 2025-D or whatever you want to call them (and possibly more besides all that.)

Now, because in time travel, one always has to travel back into the past which is basically set in stone (unless altered by time travel,) if Future-Marty-B, Future-Marty-C and Future-Marty-D all traveled back to 1986 (perhaps because they know this is the safest point since it directly follows the series of events which resulted in the creation of the temporal duplicates) we know that they would all inevitably wind up in the same 1986.

Essentially this could now be BTTF's crossover into alternate dimension theory. Season 2 might revolve around trying to find a way to get these Martys back to their own futures (since traveling back to 2025 from 1986 would result in all three alternate-dimension Martys arriving in the same 2025 as each other, in which only one is supposed to exist, and odds are that Marty is none of them. Or maybe the goal will be to go back to 1955 and somehow prevent the creation of the temporal duplicate in the first place, although this would also throw out everything that happened in Season 1, and perhaps even Back to the Future Part III if Doc and Marty aren't careful.
  • edited July 2011
    Climatic scenes needs to be more EPIC. Meanng: work a little harder on those animations and action scenes.
  • edited August 2011
    ###Thread: Now that you've completed BTTF, Would you play a "Season 2"?

---

The subject says it all guys.

Now that you've completed Back to the Future: The Game, would you pony up money to play a BTTF: Season 2?

Feel free to discuss. :)
  • edited July 2011
    I voted "no", even though the game was so horrendously boring that I couldn't stand to actually complete it.
  • edited July 2011
    No, for the million-and-first time I guess.
  • edited July 2011
    Nope. We deserve better.
  • edited July 2011
    Nope.
  • edited July 2011
    Nah. I didn't even play the first one! :D
  • edited July 2011
    I would... BTTF may not have been my favorite TTG game.. but I enjoyed the story they told.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't play games for story alone. They should make machinima shorts if that's all they want to focus on. I'd buy those and watch them.
  • edited July 2011
    I chose yes. I did enjoy the story and I also really liked the ending. The end kept in line with the feel for BTTF.
  • edited July 2011
    A story without gameplay is a stupid horrible idea. No thanks.
  • edited July 2011
    FaMzNeSS wrote: »
    I chose yes. I did enjoy the story and I also really liked the ending. The end kept in line with the feel for BTTF.
    Right, don't we all fondly remember the endings to Back to the Future films where really convoluted bullshit from various timelines comes out of nowhere, and Marty and Doc respond by going randomly sightseeing wherever(shown by the exchange "Where should we go?" "Thrill me."). The use of the "Thrill me" line was probably an 80s "Night of the Creeps" reference, but it makes so little sense here that it's absolutely jarring to hear Doc not care, at ALL about the slew of duplicate Martys, and instead opting for the "Let's go dick around through time for no reason" course of action.
  • edited July 2011
    I would play it.

I would not buy it.
  • edited July 2011
    Honestly, I would have to play the free episode and make a judgement call.

If Telltale took into account all the suggestions and complaints about the difficulty and produced a game that reflected those thoughts, I would be more motivated to buy it. If the second season is an exact replica of the first in terms of gameplay and difficulty, I would be hesitant and need more convincing.
  • edited July 2011
    Right, don't we all fondly remember the endings to Back to the Future films where really convoluted bullshit from various timelines comes out of nowhere, and Marty and Doc respond by going randomly sightseeing wherever(shown by the exchange "Where should we go?" "Thrill me."). The use of the "Thrill me" line was probably an 80s "Night of the Creeps" reference, but it makes so little sense here that it's absolutely jarring to hear Doc not care, at ALL about the slew of duplicate Martys, and instead opting for the "Let's go dick around through time for no reason" course of action.

The films weren't really like that at all, I can understand your interpretation of the game, but not of the Movies. Granted, BTTF was much better and more thought out than II and III, but the creators of the series ended the first movie openly without the thought of creating a second movie. It wasn't till after it was a money maker that studios came back to them and said "Let's make a sequel."

And they said "Damn, now we gotta think up a way to explain this."

I get the whole Doc not caring thing. It bothered me slightly, but I figure Doc had a plan. "A present to catch up with". Alright, maybe there's something more there. But having Multiple Marty's there really brought home the idea of the string theory and how multiple timelines, or Universes, could exist at once.
  • edited July 2011
    The films weren't really like that at all, I can understand your interpretation of the game, but not of the Movies.
    That was sarcasm. The point was that the ending of the games didn't really match up with the movies at all. It contained elements ripped directly from those endings, haphazardly applied without any real sense of thought about it, but it didn't actually emulate the feeling of any of them.
    I get the whole Doc not caring thing. It bothered me slightly, but I figure Doc had a plan. "A present to catch up with". Alright, maybe there's something more there. But having Multiple Marty's there really brought home the idea of the string theory and how multiple timelines, or Universes, could exist at once.
    I feel like they just went "Hey, let's do the 1st movie's ending, and crank it up to 11!". That's the kind of blanket "design" idea(is it really design if the idea has absolutely nothing even resembling originality in it?) that produces things that, if not actually thought about when writing it, cause the whole thing to make no sense. The entire story feels like it was banged out in one draft over a weekend. Hell, not even a draft, more like an outline. And they just sort of ran with it.
  • butthead1701butthead1701 Banned
    edited July 2011
    honestly, i'm such a big fan the story was enough for me, even though the gameplay was just okay. I loved the story of this first season and will def. play the second
  • edited July 2011
    Yes. I enjoyed the first season and so would enjoy more.
  • edited July 2011
    There's no maybe option. I won't buy a second season until I know a bit about what it'd be about and if the same cast is involved.
  • edited July 2011
    I voted "no", but only if season 2 was the same as season 1 in terms of gameplay. If they COMPLETLY revamp the difficulty to say The Devils Playhouse level, then Ill think about it, but as it stands NO.
  • edited July 2011
    There's no maybe option.

I don't think I could edit the poll, cuz I'd definitely put up a maybe option. That is, unless some Mod has powers to do so. :)
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    I don't think I could edit the poll, cuz I'd definitely put up a maybe option. That is, unless some Mod has powers to do so. :)

Thanks for the opportunity to make myself useful!
  • edited July 2011
    I'm surprised that everybody is saying no.

I understand that the Gameplay was dull, but I'm saying Yes because its Back to the Future, it's my favorite movie, and it had to come back...just one more time...and TellTale answered my wish. But they left it on a cliffhanger (which I honestly wish they hadn't done) so, we have to know what happens, because if we ever find out, it HAS to come from TellTale.

Do it for Back to the Future, guys. :D
  • edited July 2011
    It's not a "cliffhanger" anymore than the first movie's ending is a "cliffhanger"(and remember, the first movie was intended to be standalone).

To say, "Yeah, the game was boring, but as long as they put an artificial hook at the end, I'll HAVE to buy anything they make no matter what even when I profess a dislike of sequel hooks", well...

...I mean, COME ON, how much more whipped can a consumer possibly be?
  • edited July 2011
    What's sad is that the game is being treated like DNF. A good game but not as "amazing" as people expected it to be. Because of that it got attacked.

Shame. I would play a second season.
  • edited July 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Thanks for the opportunity to make myself useful!
    And thanks for lending a hand!! :)
    What's sad is that the game is being treated like DNF. A good game but not as "amazing" as people expected it to be. Because of that it got attacked.

Shame. I would play a second season.

That's how I feel. It wasn't the best game of all time, but It's Back to the Future-- one of my all time favorite movies. AJ is a great Marty McFly, Michael J Fox lended his voice, Christopher Lloyd as Doc. Overall, it was pretty good. People are treating it like it's the NES version, and that isn't fair.
  • edited July 2011
    I'd definitely buy it, pre-order it even — just like the last one. I had my share of gripes with the game, but nothing so serious that it's not worth continuing the story.

The ending doesn't make much sense now, but hopefully they have a basic road map in mind for what a second season might contain and act upon it. That's not to say that I'm a slave to the cliffhanger, because when you think about it, every movie or TV show ends in a cliffhanger. Unless every single character dies and there's zero possibility of rebirth, resuscitation, reanimation, reincarnation, or the whole bloody thing turning out to be a dream sequence, then those characters can potentially go on to have more adventures, and are limited from doing so only by their fictional nature. BTTF 3 was such a movie.
  • edited July 2011
    That's how I feel. It wasn't the best game of all time, but It's Back to the Future-- one of my all time favorite movies. AJ is a great Marty McFly, Michael J Fox lended his voice, Christopher Lloyd as Doc. Overall, it was pretty good. People are treating it like it's the NES version, and that isn't fair.
    Right, it is unfair to the NES game. After all, that one has more excuses and understandable reasons for sucking. Telltale's Back to the Future game, on the other hand, sucks because the developers think very poorly of Back to the Future fans, in that the inclusion of anything resembling a logic puzzle is avoided in order to satisfy an audience that the developer, quite frankly and quite willfully, considers to be idiots. In that regard, this is far worse.
  • edited July 2011
    Ironically and equally unfortunately, they're right, if this poll is any indication. I don't care if they make ten seasons of BTTF or bring back Bill & Ted, Day of the Tentacle, Discworld, Kyrandia, Police Quest, Les Manley, Simon the Sorceror, or Hugo's House of Horrors. I'm not paying for anything more designed in the template of this first BTTF season. I prefer not to support this immense downward spiral of gaming. I'd rather they not succeed so that they can realize we want better and will actually DO BETTER. We can still have a new BTTF game with some great gameplay and game design and a great story if they put more effort into it. We don't have to blindly accept everything they give us. Make THEM give us what we want!
  • edited July 2011
    I refuse to play past the second episode and finish the game and waste my time on this...this piece of shit coated in poor design, so I think that gives my poll answer.

That is to say, if there was an answer on the poll that said "Oh, wait, that was supposed to be a game?"
  • edited July 2011

While I thought the "multiple Marties from the future" idea was pretty obnoxious, I do think that "ignore them until they go away" is the appropriate response to that situation. With a bit of waiting, the time ripple effect will catch up and most if not all of the future Marties will cease to exist, simplifying the problem tremendously.

That said, I do agree that the ending was pretty poorly assembled. The reprise of the "what, do we become assholes or something?" line was especially cringe-inducing.
  • edited July 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    While I thought the "multiple Marties from the future" idea was pretty obnoxious, I do think that "ignore them until they go away" is the appropriate response to that situation. With a bit of waiting, the time ripple effect will catch up and most if not all of the future Marties will cease to exist, simplifying the problem tremendously.

Yeah, because ignoring the problems of three people with their own time machine could never have any consequences, right? All it takes is one Marty to be less than stable enough to decide to go back in time and punish Doc for just leaving when he asked for help and bam.

I voted for maybe. I certainly love the BTTF property, but the game was not quite so excellent. I'd wait to hear what people have to say about it, or play the demo, or whatever.
  • edited July 2011
    I voted no because I wasn't able to force myself to complete this mess, of course this could be different should Telltale get their act together.
  • edited July 2011
    Now how would you know about this if you didn't bother to finish the game. :P

But I would have to agree with you. This was a bit of a WTF moment for me, and wasn't sure what to think of it at first. But I did enjoy the rest of the ending.
  • edited July 2011
    ascii25 wrote: »
    Pretty easily.
  • edited July 2011
    What do you think the huge cliffhanger ending is about and what are your predictions for the rest of the story?

Here are my thoughts. I remember as a kid watching an episode of Danny Phantom. It was a double length episode that revolved around time travel, and the main character turned evil in the future and it all started with one tragic event.

I feel the oldest Marty for the end of episode 5 (Marty 3) might have something to do with that. Maybe a tragic event happened and he is angry with himself because he thinks it's his fault and the only solution he sees is to get rid of himself before it happens. I thought this when he says "prepare to be erased" and when he say "You altered my timeline much too often" must mean it's because of time travel that caused this event.

Keep in mind this is just a theory and i would like to here your thoughts. Whatever the story is I am hoping it's something really deep and dark like the end of the world or something.
  • edited July 2011
    ascii25 wrote: »

I, for one, finished the game, played through all episodes at least twice (I should be given a medal) to be able to make a video review out of it, and agree with RD completely.

It only seems to me that every post that defends this game is entirely hypocritical. How can you say a game is bad when you don't bother finish the game? One can say it if they can't bother theirselves to finish the game. How can you say this game is horrible when there it's the best out of all Back to the Future games? Because it's below average compared to the all ADVENTURE games. How can you hate on something that's given so much time and effort? Because it's industrial age and consumers are entitled to have opinions on stuff that they've given money for.

This has been dragged out for too long imo.
  • Interesting that in the poll created after episode 4, the ratio of yes:no votes was about 4:1 but it the poll created after 5 the ration shrunk to 2:1. I wonder if the underwhelming episode and head scratching ending play a part in this.

I'd have been completely happy with an ending of only one future marty. That would have made a great parallel to the films. The extra ones seemed to make it more of a spoof of itself. It also kind of painted the writers into a corner if there is a second season as it has to deal with these alternate futures and likely have to explain what is going on. Only one marty would have reduced this while still allowing them to pursue this avenue if they wanted to.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.