Possible BTTF Season 2 ideas/speculation/suggestion

Comments

• edited August 2011
    It may seem kinda odd but I had never even heard of Back to the Future until Telltale made this game so as you can probably tell, a LOT of the jokes and characters made absolutely no sense to me, as an introduction to the franchise it was okay, but after watching the films it felt much more like something I would buy. Shortly after playing through (a friend's copy of) episodes 1-5 I went and bought the film trilogy boxset and all was made clear.

Did I like Season One: yes, definitely...

Would I play through a second Season: yes...

If puzzles and bugs aren't improved/fixed: then no...

Great job Telltale, as always. Can't wait to see what you do next, and get Lloyd on board for Season Two if you guys are planning to make it and/or if he hasn't singed anything yet, hee hee.
  • edited August 2011
    They could have just left off the "To Be Continued" text and just had the series open for another season. I mean in the first movie the "To Be Continued" text wasn't added until it was released on home video and there WAS a sequel. I heard the little "we're off on another adventure" thing at the end of the first movie was supposed to be a joke that never guaranteed another movie. But adding the "To Be Continued" text at the end of this season they're being way more direct about their intentions.

I guess it does depend on the sales, but I would hope that the new boxed copy of the games really pushes sales! I'd like to see more. Just hope it's not milked or turned into an extension of the animated series.
  • edited August 2011
    I just hope there will be a season 2.
  • edited August 2011
    There almost has to be Season 2! I've read from joystiq.com that the BTTF Game is the best selling game from Telltale to date.

"SAN RAFAEL, CA. – August 24, 2011 – Telltale Games, the leading independent digital publisher and developer of episodic interactive entertainment, today announced it has signed an agreement to publish retail versions of their PlayStation®Network available titles for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The company has also confirmed its best-selling video game series, Back to the Future: The Game, which has achieved more than one million downloaded episodes on PC to date, will be the company's debut PS3™ game at retail this October for $19.99."

Even though Universal has to give them permission, Bob Gale even hinted at Season 2. I'd say it's pretty much definite.
  • edited August 2011
    I think there should be an alternate 1986 where the Marty is played by Eric Stoltz.
  • edited August 2011
    Its our cake we made it possible and the fans made telltale what they are now we put you on the map...

If the fans want a second season then don't ignore us.

Don't let the cake be a lie, or you will end up like...

Square enix people wanted a remake of seven and now the are going bankrupt they keep on ignore us so they will suffer....
  • edited August 2011
    zelda42293 wrote: »
    There almost has to be Season 2! I've read from joystiq.com that the BTTF Game is the best selling game from Telltale to date.

"SAN RAFAEL, CA. – August 24, 2011 – Telltale Games, the leading independent digital publisher and developer of episodic interactive entertainment, today announced it has signed an agreement to publish retail versions of their PlayStation®Network available titles for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The company has also confirmed its best-selling video game series, Back to the Future: The Game, which has achieved more than one million downloaded episodes on PC to date, will be the company's debut PS3™ game at retail this October for $19.99."

Even though Universal has to give them permission, Bob Gale even hinted at Season 2. I'd say it's pretty much definite.
    Awesome! i'm sold! (MARTY: Alright Needles..here's my Card Scan it,..i'm in!) ;)
  • edited August 2011
    I would play a season 2, Telltale games are amazing! :D
  • edited August 2011
    Just add more world interaction so you can walk around and explore the towns,villages etc. If you could go around, "borrowing" cars in the future and you get busted by the police it would affect the future gameplay, something like that would be make the game 200% more fun.
  • edited September 2011
    Okay I got some more ideas

1) I thought of a good evil karma from Infamous that has to do with timeline coruption. At the start of the game the timeline will be at a certain corruption level and as you progress though the story and fix the problems, the level decreases. But when you beat the game the corruption level still won't be zero. Thoughout the game there will be optional missions and choices given to you that would affect the timeline but not have an impact of the story. During the game you can choose to change the timeline postitvly (Fix the timeline) or negitivly (Ruin the timeline). depending on the corruption level depends what kind of ending you get.

2) Maybe there can be a feature with a watch. I am not sure what it's pupose might be but since this is a game about time travel I am sure TTGs can come up with an intersting and innovated use for it.

3) I think there should be different diiculties. For easy mode you get unlimited tries with the puzzles like the first game. On normal you will get a game over if you take your time but you will get alot of second chances. On hard mode you get little to no tries and there will be a day and night system so if in the story you have one day to complete your objective and you spend the time goofing off then you get a game over.

4) Since there are 4 Marty's I was thinking maybe there could be multiple characters to play as to tell the story from a different perspective.
  • edited September 2011
    The main thing I want from season 2 is for all the damn bugs to be fixed.

No more glitching graphics, stuttering sound and crashes would be the first thing!

Then fix the awkward controls, improve the performance and the graphics and I will be able to properly enjoy what has the potential to be something amazing.
  • edited September 2011
    I've played through the game twice and I haven't noticed any stuttering sound or graphic glitches. Have you tried updating you graphic and sound card drivers?

I did find some of the movement to be quirky but it didn't deter me from enjoying the game. I think this is the only game I've played through to the end twice in many years. I've played tons of other games, I never finished many simply because I lost interest.

I'm really waiting for the next season to come out!!!

Does anyone have a time frame for the next season? Or do I have to pull out the Delorean and fast forward a few months to a year?
    The main thing I want from season 2 is for all the damn bugs to be fixed.

No more glitching graphics, stuttering sound and crashes would be the first thing!

Then fix the awkward controls, improve the performance and the graphics and I will be able to properly enjoy what has the potential to be something amazing.
  • edited September 2011
    Every day there is no season 2, people will die. Starting tonight. I'm a man of my word. HAHAHAHA
  • edited September 2011
    i think a season 2 would be very good! but how long is it usually untill telltale make a announcement that they are making a season 2... just so i can enter the right date into my time circuits :cool:
  • edited September 2011
    If they make a season 2, they need to have it where you can play as Doc, not just Marty all the time. Like if something happens to the time machine you have to figure out whats wrong with it, Well thinking about it now, they might because this has to do with Marty this time not Doc. I got a feeling they been working on season 2, just not telling anybody.
  • edited September 2011
    so i took a little break from the forum and bttf in general after beating the game. came on today to snoop around and low and behold... MY FIRST STICKY!! badass i am very happy!! ok now i'll read the couple pages i missed... im back baby!! :P
  • edited September 2011
    Like i said in an earlier post, i think it would excellent if we were able to play as Doc at some point in time. I dont know if any of you play Hector, but i just finished Episode 2 and in part of the episode you switched between Hector (trapped in a building), and his idiot sidekick (outside the building). And you had to communicate with eachother and do certain things with certain people at certain times in order to accomplish your goal. playing as the idiot sidekick here could get a little boring, but if you put this concept behind a Doc/Marty puzzle... GREAT SCOTT I think we're onto something. And with all the characters in the BttF franchise being so popular and all, you can really have puzzles involving other characters. I wouldnt mind walking around as Biff for a little while talking trash and getting into trouble!

Another game I have been playing is "Heavy Rain". It has a very point and clicky feel to it, but i absolutely love how they have a million ways to end the game and your choices and decisions dramaticly effect the outcome. It would be hard to do this with BttF seeing how its episodic and therefore has to stick to one solid storyline. But there may be a way to just even spice up the dialogue section process. after playing heavy rain and really being careful about the things i say and choices i make, i found it very boring just selecting EVERY option on the dialogue. if there was a way to make me feel like my choices are making a difference, the game would be much enjoyable.

Besides that, yeah the graphic/animations could use some work. the cutscenes were amazing, very movie-esque and i found myself sucked into the moment every time. The basic animations and walking/running/basic movements on the otherhand, like someone else said, were very painful at times, not to mention the disappearances and other bugginess...

Thats all i got for now. Telltale, thanks for the sticky, first ever, totally made my night haha

Side note: What does everyone think about the Nike MAG's? Back for the Future! auto lace technology not included.... yet, but the official commercial i seen for it with Doc said not till 2015! I also read somewhere that Nike has patented the technology to do it... super cool!! :D
  • edited September 2011
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    i think a season 2 would be very good! but how long is it usually untill telltale make a announcement that they are making a season 2... just so i can enter the right date into my time circuits :cool:

Please someone answer this question my future depends on it :mad:
  • edited September 2011
    Put this date into your time circuits: July 27, 2022. Far enough into the future that the second season would already be out, but close enough that you should still be able to research when it came out exactly. ;)
  • edited September 2011
    just to chime in on this "play as multiple characters" dealio, i just finished the final episode of Hector, great ending btw, but i love how they had a multi-character part in episode three as well. its a must, if there is going to be a Part 2, to let us geek out with Doc. there can even be full episodes or a majority where we're Doc trying to rescue marty from danger like marty rescues doc so often. and i still think if you fit in a little play as biff moment that would be priceless
  • SydSyd
    edited September 2011
    I agree on the multiple characters idea. We definitely need some moments where we play as Doc. Maybe even a Doc-centric episode. Doc comes to Marty's rescue quite a few times in the movies, and since Season 1 of BTTF:TG focused so much on Marty saving Doc, I think it should be balanced out by giving Doc a chance to be the big hero.
    itssas83 wrote: »
    Side note: What does everyone think about the Nike MAG's? Back for the Future! auto lace technology not included.... yet, but the official commercial i seen for it with Doc said not till 2015! I also read somewhere that Nike has patented the technology to do it... super cool!! :D

Yep, the full design, including the auto-laces, was patented by Nike about a year ago. http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-08/nike-patents-mcfly-self-lacing-shoes-future
  • edited September 2011
    Put this date into your time circuits: July 27, 2022. Far enough into the future that the second season would already be out, but close enough that you should still be able to research when it came out exactly. ;)

ah no i need a exact date because i only got 1 plutonium pellet!!
    anyway back on subject i think this next season should involve doc as a playable character
  • edited October 2011
    The only thing that I didn't like about the game is that neither Power of Love nor Johnny B. Goode were featured in the game. The only song from the movies that was in the game was Back in Time by Huey Lewis
  • edited October 2011
    bobber56 wrote: »
    The only thing that I didn't like about the game is that neither Power of Love nor Johnny B. Goode were featured in the game. The only song from the movies that was in the game was Back in Time by Huey Lewis

If you mean other than the score, then you're right. However, since a good portion of the game took place in the 1930's and at one point was in the 1870's, Huey Lewis & the News would be out of place. Not to mention that they would've had to get the rights to Power of Love. Between Power of Love and Back in Time, Back in Time fits the franchise better.

As for Johnny B. Goode...try clicking the microphone in Tannen's speakeasy in Episode 2.
  • edited October 2011
    As for Johnny B. Goode...try clicking the microphone in Tannen's speakeasy in Episode 2.

I hated that part i know it sounds stupid but that bit kind of ruined the episode... because in the first movie marty can sing really well and then a few monthes later he becomes a horrible singer lol i wanted to tear my arms off and throw them at him
  • edited October 2011
    I hated that part i know it sounds stupid but that bit kind of ruined the episode... because in the first movie marty can sing really well and then a few monthes later he becomes a horrible singer lol i wanted to tear my arms off and throw them at him

Yes, MARTY can sing well. But that wasn't Michael J. Fox singing as far as I remember, and somehow I doubt that TellTale could have afforded to hire someone to sub as game Marty's singing voice.

And to be honest, AJ's opener to Johnny B Goode was better than his little improv singing in Double Visions.
  • Yes, MARTY can sing well. But that wasn't Michael J. Fox singing as far as I remember, and somehow I doubt that TellTale could have afforded to hire someone to sub as game Marty's singing voice.

And to be honest, AJ's opener to Johnny B Goode was better than his little improv singing in Double Visions.

The singing wasn't great but for a voice actor to sing in a foreign voice is awfully tough (AJ would have to sing in Martys voice). I did snicker at that part; it fit well in 1955 when they were dawning on the age of rock, not so much in 1931, it was just comedy.

Power of love only plays 4 times in the trilogy; marty going to school, marty and the pinheads lame attempt, marty going home from school and Needles truck near the end of part III (there was originally a scripted scene of a virtual version in 2015). Very little of the game is spent in 'normal' 1986, in FCB Hill valley loud music is probably banned.

I cant remember, what is the song Marty briefly plays at the beginning of episode 1 before biff cuts him off?
  • edited October 2011
    The singing wasn't great but for a voice actor to sing in a foreign voice is awfully tough (AJ would have to sing in Martys voice). I did snicker at that part; it fit well in 1955 when they were dawning on the age of rock, not so much in 1931, it was just comedy.

Power of love only plays 4 times in the trilogy; marty going to school, marty and the pinheads lame attempt, marty going home from school and Needles truck near the end of part III (there was originally a scripted scene of a virtual version in 2015). Very little of the game is spent in 'normal' 1986, in FCB Hill valley loud music is probably banned.

I cant remember, what is the song Marty briefly plays at the beginning of episode 1 before biff cuts him off?

That's the beginning of the "back in time" song.
  • edited October 2011
    Again though, Back in Time is more commonly associated with Back to the Future...for sooooo many reasons.

Anyways, in the commentary, the devs again hinted at the POSSIBILITY of a second season. I hope that they have something up their sleeves and didn't do what Zemeckis and Gale did at the end of BTTF1 and write themselves into a tough corner to get out of.
  • edited October 2011
    where did they hint the possibility of a season 2? just so i know where to look (if your talking about the to be continued sign then i already know about that)
  • yoman45135 wrote: »
    where did they hint the possibility of a season 2? just so i know where to look (if your talking about the to be continued sign then i already know about that)

it's pretty much THAT. Even part I didnt add the to be continued until the sequel was confirmed. The only other reference to a second season was Bob Gale introducing the game last november being asked if the future would be featured saying "maybe if we did a season 2 we'd do the future." They haven't really painted themself into a huge corner, it was specifically not stated where Marty is taking doc to. Though the 3 future marty's makes things difficult, I'd have been more than happy with only one (spoofing the ending of the first film).
  • edited October 2011
    it's pretty much THAT. Even part I didnt add the to be continued until the sequel was confirmed. The only other reference to a second season was Bob Gale introducing the game last november being asked if the future would be featured saying "maybe if we did a season 2 we'd do the future." They haven't really painted themself into a huge corner, it was specifically not stated where Marty is taking doc to. Though the 3 future marty's makes things difficult, I'd have been more than happy with only one (spoofing the ending of the first film).

ah ok then thanks :)
  • edited October 2011
    At the end of the Episode 5 commentary, the devs say keep an eye out in the future that there may be a season 2, but again in the hypothetical sense.
  • edited October 2011
    If you mean other than the score, then you're right. However, since a good portion of the game took place in the 1930's and at one point was in the 1870's, Huey Lewis & the News would be out of place. Not to mention that they would've had to get the rights to Power of Love. Between Power of Love and Back in Time, Back in Time fits the franchise better.

Remember the scene in the first movie when he's riding his skateboard through Hill Valley Town Square, towards his high school, and Power of Love is playing in the background? If they did a sequence like that, only when he's going to Doc's house, that would have worked.
  • edited October 2011
    bobber56 wrote: »
    Remember the scene in the first movie when he's riding his skateboard through Hill Valley Town Square, towards his high school, and Power of Love is playing in the background? If they did a sequence like that, only when he's going to Doc's house, that would have worked.

Again, you're forgetting something. TellTale is a relatively small company. They cannot afford to purchase every license necessary in order to fulfill every single thing on screen. That's why Marty's shoes aren't Nikes. That's why we have JP Pinney instead of JC Penney. That's why we have ALT instead of TAB. Those kind of rights would cost more than the models and textures, so just change the name. It's the same thing with music. For a recent example, in the last season finale of Futurama, when they did the anime-themed vignette, they used the opening music for Voltron. That cost the studio money. The same thing for games. Using the orchestrated music from the movie costs money, as does using either one of the Huey Lewis and the News songs. Since TellTale is a small company, they likely don't have the money to lay down for both Power of Love AND Back in Time. So, obviously, they chose Back in Time. I support that decision. It makes more sense for the franchise./endrant

And we now need to get back on topic rather than continually discussing the song choices in the first season. This thread is about a possible season 2 and any ideas or speculation you might have for it.

For example, I think that we should spend an entire episode in the "NORMAL" present time with Marty getting re-acclimated. Obviously things have changed, and he has to deal with that.
  • edited October 2011
    i know this is incredibly unlikely but if they make a season 2 they should get alan silvestri to do the music because the music in season 1 was really repetitive and a few times didnt match what was going on while alan silvestri on the other hand knows what kind of music he should make... what i mean is the overture in bttf 1 is the type of music that gives you goosebumps whilse the game music doesn't...
  • For example, I think that we should spend an entire episode in the "NORMAL" present time with Marty getting re-acclimated. Obviously things have changed, and he has to deal with that.

No offense but if you're being serious, this is a terrible idea. There's a reason why in any story (whether you're talking book, movie, video game story, show, play), once the central conflicts are resolved it means the end is near. Seeing the characters live their normal lives 'happily ever after' is extremely boring. You're basically suggesting the 3-4 minutes after Marty wakes up in his bed prior to Doc showing up near the end of part I be stretched out into an entire episode. Especially with it being a time travel story I can guarantee that any future episodes will take place either in the past, future, or an alternate timeline.
    i know this is incredibly unlikely but if they make a season 2 they should get alan silvestri to do the music because the music in season 1 was really repetitive and a few times didnt match what was going on while alan silvestri on the other hand knows what kind of music he should make... what i mean is the overture in bttf 1 is the type of music that gives you goosebumps whilse the game music doesn't...

Again budget. He doesn't come cheap.

You know the ending of episode 5 opens the door for a lot of interesting possibilities but sad to say it would have been more befitting for a more complex video game than point and click; It's very obvious that given the ending, Marty has quite a bit of time travels in his future, enough so to manipulate the space time continuim and have at least 2 other versions of himself essentially as antagonists (ie your timeline was overwritten five jumps back). A more open ended game could explore these alternate futures and how different events could lead to different futures. For better or worse though telltale is linear (in the sense that while some will finish the game quicker than others, the path for every player will be pretty much the exact same). Now that being said they have the chance to do things which weren't done in the first season; our marty makes 9 time jumps during the game (1 in episode 1, 4 in episode 2, 0 in episode 3, 1 in episode 4, 3 in episode 5) but the common complaint is that each and every one was going to or from (or in 1 case within) 1931. Being the future they could make time traveling part of the puzzles especially if it is done similar to episodes 4 and 5 where different events need to happen but can happen in any sequence.
  • edited October 2011

I Understand that but its not like it would be pointless to use the budget on for 2 reasons 1. it would make many fans happy 2. they would get all the money back plus a lot more
  • edited October 2011

I Understand that but its not like it would be pointless to use the budget on for 2 reasons 1. it would make many fans happy 2. they would get all the money back plus a lot more

How so? Are you aware of how much it costs to have a composer write the music and then have it done? And even if they went the cheapest route, ie. synthesizing like they did for a lot of the music in season 1, people still wouldn't be happy with it because it wouldn't sound like the music from the movie. If you wanted it to sound like the movie, then they would need an orchestra, and that is NOT cheap and with TellTale's games being around $20 on average, they would NOT make that money back.
  • edited October 2011

How so? Are you aware of how much it costs to have a composer write the music and then have it done? And even if they went the cheapest route, ie. synthesizing like they did for a lot of the music in season 1, people still wouldn't be happy with it because it wouldn't sound like the music from the movie. If you wanted it to sound like the movie, then they would need an orchestra, and that is NOT cheap and with TellTale's games being around $20 on average, they would NOT make that money back.

Sure they would theres over 5,000 people who bought the game and when it gets the retail release there will be a few thousands more.
    So if im any good at maths thats a nice chunk of many for them to keep as well.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.