Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• Clementine’s bullets weren’t working properly overnight at Prescott, but the next morning at the junkyard, she’s shooting fine.
    Also we never see her use her shotgun even though she was carrying it after Javi was reunited with his family.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited October 2018

I feel inclined to respectfully disagree with your claim of Clementine's character being a mess

Yeah, there's been a few conflicting comments on different elements, but most of those issues have been relatively minor or surface-level details that don't interfere too heavily with anything in-game. You're kinda making it sound like there's a constant whiplash and conflicting design/narrative choices in regards to her character. I'll concede that sure, there's some, but they're not prevalent enough in my eyes to make her a completely jumbled mess.

Ranch - unexplored

Might be best to reserve judgement on this one due to how it's being built up. But I'll let you have the bragging rights on this one if there's a lame pay-off to this little subplot by the end of the season.

Clem's dad - unexplored

This isn't even really related to Clem's character itself. In all honesty, it's a non-issue that they never should have bothered trying to clarify in the first place. It has basically no bearing on anything in context of the story/narrative.

Personality and character - always changing

Unfortunate side effect of making her a playable character... which is compounded by ANF decided to make her a non-playable character (save for the flashbacks, but those don't amount to much anyways), and then a playable character yet again for TFS. Hard to ensure consistency after you've allowed player input as far as personality is concerned.

Sassy for some reason all of a sudden

If you're referring mainly to ANF Clem when you say this, then you already have an answer to this issue: it's ANF.

Excessive swearing

I dunno, this seems to make sense enough to me. Swearing especially, since she's spent multiple years with a bunch of foul-mouthed adults. I don't see why it's so hard to believe that she'd eventually pick up on it, even if she was one of the innocent "oh gee don't swear" type of kids in S1. In fact, most people I know were like that as kids, and once they reached their teens, well... yeah.

Weird voice that keeps changing and doesn't seem authentic to Clem

You know, this is probably the first time I've seen someone mention this as an issue. Maybe it's a subjective thing? Because I've never really had any issue with Clementine's voice across the different seasons. Sounds relatively natural to me.

Directors/writers getting carried away with showing off her evolution

Alright, there's some truth to this one. But I still feel like you've exaggerated the extent of it. Of course you'll see changes over time with the amount of people that have been involved in creating her story. But I think they've kept her reigned in for the most part. ANF is the black sheep in regards to Clem's character; definitely some whiplash there. But otherwise, her evolution/progression feels mostly in sync between games for me.

Ghetsis posted: »

Honestly, so many people have said so many different things to the point that I feel even the writers don't know Clem's age. The exact same

• edited October 2018

This was posted by the lead character artist, Steve Moore.

Back on Season One of Telltale's The Walking Dead, I made Clementine. This character has had a special place in my heart ever since, I made variations of her for all 3 seasons. Over time the Style has changed as we tried to push the art in a more sophisticated direction. For this final season I wanted to imagine what Young Clementine would look like in the current style we were doing.

Whilst working on Season 4 of Telltale's "The Walking Dead," I was trying to imagine what Lee Everett would look like in the current style. This is what I came up with.

Poogers555 posted: »

Can I get a source to them saying it was made for fun? Thanks Mr famo

• I can't seem to find the exact tag at the moment, but it was from Instagram.

Poogers555 posted: »

Can I get a source to them saying it was made for fun? Thanks Mr famo

• I've noticed you've been really lenient in arguing against my statement, so yeah I agree with you. Of course I exagerrated, and as you can tell I'm just not satisfied with her character. I think this is because I generally have higher standards. All of the inconsistencies, when added up, surmount to a character that I don't see as the same every season. The arguement 'you can play her how you want' doesn't mean her personality changes. With Telltale writers especially, you shouldn't have inconsistencies or un-answered questions, especially since it isn't integral to the story. Clem's dad doesn't really mean anything, but doesn't it seem rather dumb to just open that up and then leave it un-answered? This isn't a character where the writers had everything figured out from the start - they didn't establish a 'foster father' plotline, so why do it at all, ya know? You may see it as a minor detail, mere trivia, but I see it as a plotline that has been opened and never visited beyond its baseline. These things provoke intrigue, not to mention I'm not interested in it anyway and it doesn't fit her character. The swearing is unecessary, it's not strong enough yet it acts as a cheap 'now Clem is swearing, in comparison to her orginal self where she didn't, this implies..'

She just doesn't seem like herself. Who is Clementine? In other media/fictional material that have seasons and timeskips, I can always find myself saying 'oh, she looks different but she's still the same character' you can develop characters but it can only ever extend to 'oh, he's not acting like himself but I can say that it is the same person'. Forget S1 Clem, she was comical so there's no point in comparing her with anyone, but S2 Clem was such a strange evolution (I don't mind the aesthetic, it's just how she speaks) I feel better listening to Jane's voice, Clem's role model(!) I'm shocked that no-one else has properly brought this up, I think Seargent did, idk.

Alas, I see her as a mess.

You're kinda making it sound like there's a constant whiplash and conflicting design/narrative choices in regards to her character. I'll concede that sure, there's some, but they're not prevalent enough in my eyes to make her a completely jumbled mess.

No no, I didn't mean to imply that. It's not a completely jumbled mess, it's just a 'THEORY! The only real Clem is S1, whilst S2, S3, and S4 all feature different characters!'
    I can't explain this very well, ha ha.
    I will say this though - if S3 and S4 Clem are the same character then I would accept it. It makes sense. The way they confide in people, the way they handle situations, call people out, the things they are capable of doing. THAT is believable evolution, AJ has just brought back from the dark side, she's more compassionate now. But the jump from S2 to S3 doesn't make sense to me.
    Obviously these issues surface since there are different writers for Clem from S1 to S2, and S2 to S3. But whaddaya know? S3 and S4 Clem have a lot of the same writers, and so they feel most closely linked. It is really difficult to evolve a little kid to a mature mother though. You're totally right though.

Deltino posted: »

I feel inclined to respectfully disagree with your claim of Clementine's character being a mess Yeah, there's been a few conflicting comm

• If you don't perform the QTE when Ms. Martin's walker grabs you, then Mitch punches it in the face and saves Clem.

• edited October 2018

Clementine has interacted with Hershel, Glenn, and Jesus, this much we know already.
    What’s cool about this that I didn’t think of, is that all 3 are closely connected to Maggie; Her dad, her husband, and her right-hand man.
    The more you think about it, clementine has turned into a miniature Maggie. Not the same, but similar in terms of how mature and wise she’s become.

• I did that last night. I wanted to see if she could eat me :D

If you don't perform the QTE when Ms. Martin's walker grabs you, then Mitch punches it in the face and saves Clem.

• Sorry if someone's said this already, but you can can give pete [Puppy eyes]

BenUseful posted: »

Nick's the only guy in S2E1 who you can choose to [Glare] at when everyone is talking about what to do with you and Carlos is checking out your bite. Everyone else gets the [Sad Eyes] command.

• Oh shit, I do recall something to that effect.

Sorry if someone's said this already, but you can can give pete [Puppy eyes]

• I take it everyone knows that if you don’t say anything to Kenny when you’re supposed to get him to stop the train in S1, walker Duck kills everyone?

• Delta is the fourth letter in the Greek Alphabet.
    The Deltas are the major villain group of the fourth and Final Season of TWDG.

• I never noticed this, and some others may have, but when the choice to tell the group about your bite comes up in season one, if you're silent, Omid is the one to start freaking out and saying Lee's bitten. I thought it was neat.

• I think I remember something to that effect.

EbiManami posted: »

I never noticed this, and some others may have, but when the choice to tell the group about your bite comes up in season one, if you're silent, Omid is the one to start freaking out and saying Lee's bitten. I thought it was neat.

• Yes, Duckpocalypse is one of the more infamous non-canon deaths

Rankles75 posted: »

I take it everyone knows that if you don’t say anything to Kenny when you’re supposed to get him to stop the train in S1, walker Duck kills everyone?

• If you befriended Rosie, she will approach Clementeen instead of Tenn at the end of Episode 2.

• That's actually a very small but awesome detail!

DabigRG posted: »

If you befriended Rosie, she will approach Clementeen instead of Tenn at the end of Episode 2.

• When James takes off his mask, he starts acting more shy and uncomfortable until the end when he makes solid eye contact.
    Also, Lily in S1E1 looks mad after Carley calls Kenny “boss”, a prelude for things to come over leadership.

• Anyone else find it annoying that, for some reason, they put in the sound of Javier's bat when Marlon hit Brody, in the previously on.

• Ohmygoodness, are you serious? :lol:

GiantKiller posted: »

Anyone else find it annoying that, for some reason, they put in the sound of Javier's bat when Marlon hit Brody, in the previously on.

• edited October 2018

Here's the correct dialogue for this response.

Lee: Sit down or that's it!

Larry: You're gonna whoop me? You and what homo parade?

Larry will accuse Kenny of being a flaming homosexual if the right dialouge is chosen.

• Really? Wow.

Did you know that Christa will kill the boy in the attic if you decided to do nothing?

• Well, since I'm the only one who did it:

You can handcuff the walker instead of Lee.

I was thinking of Clementine's immediate safety with the walker, not Lee turning. He wasn't a threat yet. The walker cop was. So I didn't handcuff him.

• Just go into her room again after you have that talk with Carley about telling people your past and the option will pop up.

BoatsNHoes posted: »

When is there an option to tell Lilly about Lee's past?

• I did that too but for some reason it’s hand ripped off. I think I chose that more so that Lee can hug clem 1 final time though I cant remember if he did

Well, since I'm the only one who did it: You can handcuff the walker instead of Lee. I was thinking of Clementine's immediate safety with the walker, not Lee turning. He wasn't a threat yet. The walker cop was. So I didn't handcuff him.

• edited October 2018

Yeah, I did that as well. First time playing I didn't even notice that you could handcuff Lee.

It's a bit disappointing that it's not acknowledged in TFS since AJ says that Clem handcuffed Lee either way.

Well, since I'm the only one who did it: You can handcuff the walker instead of Lee. I was thinking of Clementine's immediate safety with the walker, not Lee turning. He wasn't a threat yet. The walker cop was. So I didn't handcuff him.

• When clem gets attacked by a walker after Larry and Kenny argue over duck in S1E1, lee and carley are the only people who go to help her. Carley even then only ended up helping to save lee after it attacks him so technically nobody came rushing to her aid.

• Well it's a sack of rotting flesh, so that makes sense. In fact, learning this makes the option to handcuff Lee even more pointless. Because you're like, "Oh. Well that wouldn't work."

Also, if you're just gonna have Clem shoot Lee, then handcuffing him is unnecessary.

I did that too but for some reason it’s hand ripped off. I think I chose that more so that Lee can hug clem 1 final time though I cant remember if he did

• This isn't so much a detail but a question concerning one:

What determines whether Lee is successful in killing the Stranger in the QTE or if Clementine kills him? Does it come down to your choices? Is it random?

• When I first played the game, I called him Negligent Nick because he never could keep his finger off that damn trigger. And then I joked at the ski lodge that "we aren't safe until Nick puts his rifle away". Then when he did, I said, "Now we're safe."

:D

BenUseful posted: »

Nick's the only guy in S2E1 who you can choose to [Glare] at when everyone is talking about what to do with you and Carlos is checking out your bite. Everyone else gets the [Sad Eyes] command.

• You just gotta really mash that x button, my one-handed Lee still managed to strange the stranger

This isn't so much a detail but a question concerning one: What determines whether Lee is successful in killing the Stranger in the QTE or if Clementine kills him? Does it come down to your choices? Is it random?

• Only 3 months is all it takes for a hand to rot off like that?

Well it's a sack of rotting flesh, so that makes sense. In fact, learning this makes the option to handcuff Lee even more pointless. Because

• You can get the "from down here it looks like you're playing favorites" line from Lily without having to give Carley anything. It mostly comes down to siding with Kenny in that big argument beforehand and then feeding him.

Midian13 posted: »

In S2E3 Clem can ask Sarah if she trusts Reggie. If Clem remains silent when Reggie asks her name, then Sarah will pipe in that Clem doesn

• Well, it's the Walking Dead. How many other times have they taken liberties with realism and being grounded?

Only 3 months is all it takes for a hand to rot off like that?

• Yeah, I didn't notice either. I thought the whole point was handcuffing the walker.

Pipas posted: »

Yeah, I did that as well. First time playing I didn't even notice that you could handcuff Lee. It's a bit disappointing that it's not acknowledged in TFS since AJ says that Clem handcuffed Lee either way.

• Ben originally had the option to as well.

Well, since I'm the only one who did it:

You can handcuff the walker instead of Lee.

I was thinking of Clementine's immediate safety with the walker, not Lee turning. He wasn't a threat yet. The walker cop was. So I didn't handcuff him.

There was at least one playthrough where I/someone did that.

Really? Wow.

• Speaking of Kill Bill, I caught a lot of little references that other people might not who aren't familiar with the volumes.

"Bill overreacted It was in the heat of the moment and he overreacted!" - Bonnie
    "I ... overreacted." - Bill

"Bill? It's your baby." - Beatrix Kiddo
    "Let it be okay and... let it be his." - Rebecca

Markd4547 posted: »

static.rogerebert.com/redactor_assets/pictures/far-flung-correspondents/kill-bill-and-the-love-of-cinema/kill-bill-madsen.jpg Carvers v

• Yet Kenny will still get riled up as if Carver did slap Clementine, even if they spoke civilly. Season 2 was a letdown in terms of lazy writing like that.

If you're sassy Clem to Carver in the beginning you get bitch slapped TO THE GROUND. However if you are polite/apologize you don't!

• Same with when you're eavesdropping and stealing the walkies. You literally can't get a Game Over during those parts or be caught.

Too bad, because that kills the tension.

bloodynose posted: »

When you're looking for supplies in the house, If you don't hide in the shower or the closet, Rebecca comes upstairs and Sarah asks her wh

• I knew she was pregnant as soon as she vomited while we were outside the mansion. Yeah, it could obviously be because of the dead dog and the smell, but the way they shot and lingered on that scene gave me a clue.

I played season one again and realised there's a few hints that suggest that Christa was pregnant. You can tell by the way her and Omid t

Sign in to comment in this discussion.