Evaluating Character Designs

Comments

• I did notice that both Rebecca's and A.J.'s skin tones could appear different from scene to scene

Oh, so their chameleons! It all makes sense now! :lol:
    Yeah, I did notice that and it looks odd.

Additionally, my immediate impression of Rebecca's outfit was how it reminded me of hospital scrubs and by extension, not something associated with attractiveness.

True, even though her proportions are the main issue. Then again, Jane seems to be wearing a weird officer uniform with her pale skin and prickly short "hairstyle" and yet she manages to be one of the most attractive characters, so the clothes doesn't always make that much of a difference.

Most of the hair styles in Telltale's games suffer from appearing stiff and artificial. I would have loved to see Jane and Bonnie with long hair/hair down though ironically, they had two of the more realistic textures and styles.

Yeah, that is a point in their favor. Bonnie especially.

Bon-Bon posted: »

I did notice that both Rebecca's and A.J.'s skin tones could appear different from scene to scene. Additionally, my immediate impression of

• In the land of the blind...

Weird looking grandma! Who did this?! Worst designed character by TTG. Was she representing Mexico in swimming at the olympics? Or was it a male model changed later into old woman. The hair, face, lips, arms... Is this Telltale's tribute to Caitlyn Jenner?

enter image description here

• I don't know why, but I always thought that Larry had a good design. Probably just his Episode 2 outfit though, cause his Episode 1 outfit, while somewhat fitting, is also kinda bland.

• We all know that's not true.

DabigRG posted: »

A typo I didn't notice until BonBon pointed it out and I didn't bother to change.

• If Tavia could get her hands onto eyeliner at Howe's Hardware, it is likely that Bonnie used other make-up to cover remnants of her drug addiction, too.

Thank you for the information. It is cool to finally have some factual evidence to corroborate that theory.

• Hold on, I've gotta get a good look at these warlocks.

Watches a scene with Sam in it from TWDM

Oh...Oh My...

BroKenny posted: »

Sam's tits from TWDM were pretty hot. That's about all i can think of. xD

• No, I'm pretty sure I never got around to editing it. Plus, u and i are right next to each other so it's not as random as one would think.

We all know that's not true.

• Eyeliner?

If Tavia could get her hands onto eyeliner at Howe's Hardware, it is likely that Bonnie used other make-up to cover remnants of her drug addiction, too.

• Yeah, pretty jarring if you underestimate her age.

Also, I love how everyone still discussed that.

Hold on, I've gotta get a good look at these warlocks. Watches a scene with Sam in it from TWDM Oh...Oh My...

• Javier's hair is really ugly.

• I always thought the michonne characters had good designs especially Norma, James, Sam, Pete, Cam & that guy with a beret

• Oak?

I always thought the michonne characters had good designs especially Norma, James, Sam, Pete, Cam & that guy with a beret

• Make-up for the eye?

Eyeliner?

• “I don't know what the fuck you're saying!but I know it's bullshit!”

No, I'm pretty sure I never got around to editing it. Plus, u and i are right next to each other so it's not as random as one would think.

• Glad I am not the only one.

You know what, its very faint, but I think I see what you're talking about.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited December 2016

Honestly, I think Norma has one of the best and most unique character designs of the entire series. Namely because it's unconventional. Her body type, age, personality, role in the story... all of them combined into a rather unique character type.

Like, when you think of the antagonistic leader of a community of people, do you expect it to be someone that looks like Norma? She's memorable in the regard that her design is unique among many of the other characters, both in the mini-series and the overall series itself. And her visual design goes quite well with her characterization. Like, try to imagine Norma as a conventionally skinny, femme fatale kind of character. It just doesn't work. Her visual appearance compliments her personality and voice. It all just works. And even in spite of the body type, Norma still manages to come across as intimidating in her own right, which I'd consider a further testament to the quality of her character design. To put it completely blunt; if you're able to make a fat old lady actually come across as a grizzled but capable leader, and both a cunning and intimidating antagonist as well, all the while feeling like a believable character overall, then you're definitely doing something right.

I also like the designs of Carver, S2 Kenny, episode 2 Lee (with the jacket), and more recently, Javier. Although those designs I like more because of the visuals; green is my favorite color, so Kenny with a green jacket has my utmost approval. Lee with a jacket just looks cool. Carver's design is relatively unique as well, albeit not to the level of Norma's. And Javier looks neat.

• edited December 2016

Nah it's a random Monroe colonist in episode three

Oak?

• Honestly, I think Norma has one of the best and most unique character designs of the entire series. Namely because it's unconventional. Her body type, age, personality, role in the story... all of them combined into a rather unique character type. And her visual design goes quite well with her characterization. Her visual appearance compliments her personality and voice. It all just works.

True."You got a name people remember." Because Norma is such a normal name.

Like, try to imagine Norma as a conventionally skinny, femme fatale kind of character. It just doesn't work.

No, I'd rather not.

Carver's design is relatively unique as well, albeit not to the level of Norma's.

Ugh...disagree.

Deltino posted: »

Honestly, I think Norma has one of the best and most unique character designs of the entire series. Namely because it's unconventional. Her

• Ugh...disagree.

When I say unique for Carver, I mean relative to the other characters. I mean yeah, 'bad guy with a coat' isn't exactly revolutionary, but he still stands out among the rest of the season's cast. At least to me. Or maybe I just really like coats.

Honestly, I think Norma has one of the best and most unique character designs of the entire series. Namely because it's unconventional. Her

• When I say unique for Carver, I mean relative to the other characters. he still stands out among the rest of the season's cast. Or maybe I just really like coats.

Oh, well I guess I can see it from that standpoint. Cause otherwise, I thought it was a bit dull. Kinda like him.

I mean yeah, 'bad guy with a coat' isn't exactly revolutionary

Yeah, pretty much. Whenever I try to think of his design, 60% of it comes down to the coat.

Deltino posted: »

Ugh...disagree. When I say unique for Carver, I mean relative to the other characters. I mean yeah, 'bad guy with a coat' isn't exac

• Maybe she's trans and had a cheap surgery?

OH GOD FUCK HER EYES THE HELL HAPPENED TO HER EYES!?

Omid's cat posted: »

In the land of the blind... Weird looking grandma! Who did this?! Worst designed character by TTG. Was she representing Mexico in swimmin

• Yeah, I know, I can't stop being bothered by that either.

Maybe she's trans and had a cheap surgery? OH GOD FUCK HER EYES THE HELL HAPPENED TO HER EYES!?

• I find it odd how seldom TWD characters, but also game characters in general change clothes. All clothing would be "free" for the taking and I would think especially if you couldn't bathe, you would want to change clothes often. And couldn't Bonnie have slipped Rebecca a coat before they left Howe's? Everyone worries about her being warm only when she's an hour from giving birth. Carver and the other guards did not appear to have a problem with Clementine receiving a coat.

When I say unique for Carver, I mean relative to the other characters. he still stands out among the rest of the season's cast. Or maybe I j

• That's a good point.

However, I must ask: were you intending to post this as a separate...post?

I find it odd how seldom TWD characters, but also game characters in general change clothes. All clothing would be "free" for the taking and

• No. LOL it was a random thought I had after you mentioned Carver's coat.

That's a good point. However, I must ask: were you intending to post this as a separate...post?

• 18 when she started...went all the way to mid 20s....the change started out so gradually. She easily abused the prescription system...some of the clinics she went to were just in business to sell the shit. Almost died 3 times I know of. Her eyes looked so sunken into her skull it was...horrifying if you had not seen her in a couple of years. Now she is almost normal...her ability to learn new things is slower than normal...that's a bit of brain damage and she will get frustrated.

How old was she when she started.

• Sorry to hear that, love.

18 when she started...went all the way to mid 20s....the change started out so gradually. She easily abused the prescription system...some

• edited December 2016

Javier's brother/cousin/nephew (the one in the beanie) is damn ugly when you look directly at him. He must've inherited his abuela's ugly genes.

• I really like Michelle's design. For one thing, her dreadlocks(?) means she can be fun to draw, what with the "split ends" and the fact that its going out in all directions (which kinda reminds me of Ronaldo from Steven Universe for some reason). There is a little bit of a rough air to her relatively plain face about her that kinda circles into making her an unkempt beauty. And her off the street kinda thuggish persona really reinforces that she is [one of, if not] the first black antagonists we've had in the games(never watched the show). Also, you gotta love how odd it is that she coldly tosses out the reasoning of a nihilist while wearing the cutest pink hoodie she could find. :lol:

• That's what I thought when looking at them since they stand out with the blood. His eyes are a beacon of hope in the dark times aka his bloody face

Also, can we talk about how great Randall and Norma's eyes look? Seriously. Those things are more radiant than a billion suns.

• She looked really young looking in episode 1 but once she got in charge after that episode, I can see the wrinkles

ralo229 posted: »

For some reason, Lily's design really bugs me.

• Really now? I'll have to go back and check that out.

Sparkeagle posted: »

She looked really young looking in episode 1 but once she got in charge after that episode, I can see the wrinkles

• Chet and Travis look like PS1 characters.

• I'm gonna go ahead and post this here for future reference.

enter image description here

• Holy shit Jane and Kenny's season 3 design is butt ugly.

• Well, that's a good sign. :lol:

AAA_Jane posted: »

Holy shit Jane and Kenny's season 3 design is butt ugly.

• I was actually thinking Jane was a boy.

• I was actually thinking Jane was a boy.

• Kenny's isn't that bad, but Jane's is absolutely terrible

Sign in to comment in this discussion.