Monkey Island DVD Never Arriving? [it's shipping now]

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Oddly enough, I'm still not really upset about the delay, but the delay is an element fueling my overall sinking faith in Telltale.
  • edited June 2010
    I also have such a...er...sinking. But for other reasons.....stated elsewhere. And probably not to the same level as your sinking feeling is yet.
  • edited June 2010
    Sinking. Sink. King. Two words that have absolutely nothing in common with each other, yet they come to form the word Sinking.
  • edited June 2010
    No, if anything, it's sin and king, which in some cases are very related to each other but have nothing to do with sinking.
  • edited June 2010
    Woooo it's time to celebrate
    Your order has shipped!
    ___
    Great news! Your order is on its way.

Enough said ^_^ Mine's the standard edition.
  • edited June 2010
    I've desperately wanted this merch from the second it was announced, but I have faith that it will get here as fast as it is physically able to upon being finished, therefore I am not angry or disappointed, but exceedingly anxious to receive my beloved trinkets.
  • edited June 2010
    damn you telltale! trying to distract me with announcements of BttF and JP games!
    i nearly forgot i was slightly annoyed at you!
  • edited June 2010
    Mintcake. I understand your frustration. And I can understand the urge to be harsh to others. Damn, I do it all the time. But in this case I don't believe anyone deserved it from you. I haven't yet seen anyone get any "extra attention" from Telltale. I don't see why I should expect that to change in the future, or why anyone else should either.
  • edited June 2010
    Mintcake. I understand your frustration. And I can understand the urge to be harsh to others. But in this case I don't believe anyone deserved it from you. I haven't yet seen anyone get any "extra attention" from Telltale. I don't see why I should expect that to change in the future, or why anyone else should either.

so what if it was another person who said it?

i tire of this now, i just wanted to air my feelings and now i have, at the end of the day no matter what anyone says here it wont change a thing about the orders.
  • edited June 2010
    mintcake wrote: »
    that was childish on my part but hey no one actaully knows me here so what does it matter ....

Well, that's a very stupid and immature attitude. If you walk into a shop, and nobody knows you there, then does that mean that you call the customers and staff names - no, you'd be a little more respectful than that (at least I'd hope so).

Just because you're safely hidden behind your computer monitor, it doesn't mean that you have to act like a complete, disrespectful idiot. Do you believe that anonymity gives you that right?
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Well, that's a very stupid and immature attitude. If you walk into a shop, and nobody knows you there, then does that mean that you call the customers and staff names - no, you'd be a little more respectful than that (at least I'd hope so).

Just because you're safely hidden behind your computer monitor, it doesn't mean that you have to act like a complete, disrespectful idiot. Do you believe that anonymity gives you that right?

yes and many others, also i did not diss telltale I said its poor customer service..
    the only disrespect was to others stopping people having a valid opinion and continually knocking them down.

thanks
  • edited June 2010
    one last thing to think about before i go.

since all of us have paid for the orders way before its manufactured, released etc what would have happened if (perish the thought) Telltale went out of business?

no order, no money = unhappy

the whole point of a preorder is the gain interest but not take a payment, if it gets canned in the mean time then there is no loss on the customer side .
  • edited June 2010
    yes and many others, also i did not diss telltale I said its poor customer service..
    the only disrespect was to others stopping people having a valid opinion and continually knocking them down.

Poor customer service? They gave small estimates as to when the DVD would ship. They made a mistake; it took longer to produce than they originally expected, but they still couldn't give an exact shipping date, so no official statement was given to the fans. However, they did issue this, which seems good enough to me.

Anyway, I personally believe that there was no need for Telltale to issue any sort of statement. This was a pre-order, meaning that you'll get the item when it's done and ready (a cliche term, but those are the terms that your bound to when you make a pre-order). People, like you I guess, began to get tired of waiting because you're all impatient. So you all began wanting to blame somebody (something very natural for human beings), and Telltale themselves would obviously be the most obvious target.

All of you people began complaining, saying that Telltale have gone over there deadlines, that they're taking too long, that it's a scam, etc. But there were no exact deadlines in the first place, there were only rough estimates given. Telltale were still unable to give an exact shipping date, so they then decided to post the update, which I linked to earlier in this post. So, even though they had no official shipping date, they still decided to give an update and ensure fans and customers that it wasn't a scam, and that the items would be shipped soon.

You'd expect an independent company to make small mistakes and not be completely 100% organized. But they still kept us updated (though you may disagree, thinking that the blog post was still not enough), and I think that the blog post was sufficient. It was posted to keep their customers up to date and ensure that they knew that the items were coming, and I think that's quite good customer service.

Edit: ...and did I mention the dozens of free episodes and vouchers that they gave away constantly last year? Yes, that's terrible customer service.
    thanks

...Pleasure.
  • edited June 2010
    Oddly enough, I'm still not really upset about the delay, but the delay is an element fueling my overall sinking faith in Telltale.

Same.

Upset, no. Impatient, maybe. Anxious, hell yes.

I wouldn't say that I exactly have a "sinking faith" in Telltale in general, but perhaps I'm concerned that they may start making a habit of this with other preordered DVDs in the future (especially bundles like Deluxe Ed.)

Some might say that since ToMI is their best-seller, and since MI is so meaningful to the adventure gaming community-at-large, that Telltale wants to get it done right and make it perfect so therefore will take as long as required to do so. However, such talk sounds to me like excuses given to explain poor results. Even if their motives are good, it shouldn't be used to exonerate them from fault.

Whether Telltale has perfectly good reasons or not to take so long with this project, it shouldn't excuse them from being held accountable for it by those who ultimately provide them with a paycheck (ie. the consumer.) It's one thing to whine and bitch, piss and moan about it being late but it's no better to tell people to sit down shut up and wait. There has to be a middle ground there somewhere that we can wait, however patiently, but still be assertive in voicing our frustrations at the missteps the company has taken to stay on top of this.
  • edited June 2010
    So apparently the DVD has made it's merry way to my town's post office. I should be holding it in my hands any time now! Feel the burn, suckers! Feel the envy! Then again since this is my town we're talking about, the day I get to hold the TOMI DVD in my hands is at a not-so-comfortable distance from the apocalypse.
  • edited June 2010
    Mintcake, if the company went down then we would be refunded. The loss would go to the shareholders, not the customers.
    You have a right to be annoyed - It is taking a long time, but everything else you are saying is invalid. A company can charge for pre-orders if it wants to. It's not like they said they weren't going to charge at the time, and then sneakily did. People saying 'be patient' (of which I am one) aren't necessarily defending the company, it's just that being patient is the only thing we can really do at the moment. I also didn't realise that HOMO was an acronym, but thanks for that :p The only thing telltale have done which is irritating is estimated the release date inaccurately. It is pretty annoying, but it's not anything near the illegalities some are suggesting, and probably not malicious (telltale all sitting round a table saying "how can we next treat our customers badly? I know! ship the DVD a couple of months later than they expect. MUAHAHAHAHA")
  • edited June 2010
    You are sitting at a computer desk. The computer is on.

There is a web browser open to the Telltale forums webpage.

There is a troll here. It is being fed.

ENTER INPUT> STOP FEEDING TROLL
  • edited June 2010
    "how can we next treat our customers badly? I know! ship the DVD a couple of months later than they expect. MUAHAHAHAHA"

"I will hide your keys beneath the cushions of your upholstered furniture... and NEVERMORE will you be able to find socks that match!"
  • edited June 2010
    You are sitting at a computer desk. The computer is on.

There is a web browser open to the Telltale forums webpage.

There is a troll here.

ENTER INPUT> FEED TROLL

You offer a red herring to the troll.

The troll devours it.

The red herring was poisoned.

The troll is now dead.
  • edited June 2010
    Good point, MusicallyInspired. But sometimes it's actually quite enjoyable to feed the troll. I know it only encourages the beasts, but trolls don't really need encouragement to continue their evil work. So, if you're up for it (and you're a bit bored), you might as well have a bit of an argument with them.
  • edited June 2010
    I am so confused by these people that say they have never seen a company that takes money for a pre-order. I have NEVER placed a pre-order without putting at least some money down on the item in question. It doesn't even make any sense to let someone pre-order for free because then you consider that an order and then if the person cancels it...just seems like bad business to me. These idiots are saying that charging for pre-orders is bad business but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than having pre-orders for free.
  • edited June 2010
    I'd much rather pay up front for a pre-order when I know I've got the money to pay it rather than at some unknown point in the future where my financial state could be anywhere.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, my standard DVD is still sitting in the warehouse, but my second order of the Grickle book has changed status now. I wonder which will get to me first... the race is on!
  • edited June 2010
    And...my DVD is here. In my hands. I'm touching it and I'm pretty certain I'm not dreaming it.
  • edited June 2010
    I believe that them taking the money first is a good thing. Would you rather pay the money up front when you know you have it or have them wait until it comes out at some later time when you may or may not have the money to pay for it? I prefer pay now since I have know idea what financial situation I will be in for the next few months or even if I will or will not have a job. Since I have already paid, I don't have to worry about going deeper in sh*t when it does finally ship.
  • edited June 2010
    TTG have always taken payment the minute you order, if you didn't want that to happen, you should've waited to order it. It's as simple as that.
  • edited June 2010
    And...my DVD is here. In my hands. I'm touching it and I'm pretty certain I'm not dreaming it.

Just hand it over and nobody gets hurt...
  • edited June 2010
    Just hand it over and nobody gets hurt...

[cue Duel of the Fates]

Your powers are weak old man. Now I am the DVD owner.
  • edited June 2010
    Uh-huh...

-sucker punches Fawful and absconds with the DVD-
  • edited June 2010
    sad%20vader.jpg

[pouts]
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, fine. -unabsconds-
  • edited June 2010
    My DVD won't be here for a while (I ordered the Voodoo cards with it, and I'm in the UK), so I'm just wondering, what's the DVD like? I don't think too much is known about it yet, other than it can't be played in DVD players, so that both PC and Mac versions could be stored on it.

Just wondering, is the Earl Boen part 1 FINALLY present in the PC version? And have Telltale updated those lines that Adam Harrington still delivers in the Mac Version?
    -What?
    -As you wish my love.
    -Arr, the evil of LeChuck is always evolving in new and terrifying ways, Sheepgood.

I hope this has been taken care of, it was kinda distracting and disappointing to hear two voice actors in the same conversation in the Mac version.
  • edited June 2010
    It has arrived....aaaahhhhh...
  • edited June 2010
    What are the bonus features and extras? I'm interested and want to know, I ordered the Deluxe Edition plus I'm in the UK so I should see it myself by Christmas!
  • edited June 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    What are the bonus features and extras? I'm interested and want to know, I ordered the Deluxe Edition plus I'm in the UK so I should see it myself by Christmas!
    Yes, what's on it?
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think I will read this thread any more, I want to keep the expense up and find out my self. :p
  • edited June 2010
    Hi,

I see those that just ordered the DVD got theirs, so how long till those that also ordered the deluxe edition get shipped? It is killing me waiting for so long....lol, but at least I know TTG will make it worth the wait.....I just want to know when.....LOL!!!! I think all of You at TTG are still doing a great job!!!
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think I will read this thread any more, I want to keep the expense up and find out my self. :p

I really hope you meant "suspense", because otherwise...
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, damn me and my bad English, that is what I meant. :D
  • edited June 2010
    My Slipcase DVD was shipped on 7th of June. Now it's the 4th Day and there are still no Trace-Infos from USPS available. :( Is this normal?

Our Company DHL in German is a bit faster. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.