Monkey Island DVD Never Arriving? [it's shipping now]

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Any word on when the Deluxe Edition DVD's are shipping? (I am far too lazy to search through this entire thread so sorry if this has been answered recently)
  • edited June 2010
    "Soonish". Also Chyron is running a dramatic countdown based off telltale's older prediction that the dvd would ship in Spring. That says within 11 days I think.

He is foolishly assuming they meant Spring in the US ;)
  • edited June 2010
    thanks for the pics
  • edited June 2010
    ...um, what's that garbage on the back of the slipcase? Is that some kind of joke? Has Telltale simply gone completely insane? What exactly were they thinking? Am I, a person that has made a purchase with a PayPal account online, expected to cut out little paper figures to stand up on my desk? Am I expected to destroy the slipcase? Because that's what the dotted lines, scissors, and little papercraft stands seems to indicate.

Wasn't this case considered a BONUS?! For people who, you know, ordered early, or PAID EXTRA for collectibles? Where in that description was it assumed that we're children that want paper cut-outs that look like they came of the back of a box of Lucky Charms?! And if we do want that, if we really think this is something neat, why are you placing it on the back of the SLIPCASE, of all things?

Who do they think their audience is, here? When was it decided that this kind of pandering, garish garbage was going to be okay?
  • edited June 2010
    @doodinthemood

thanks for the info!

/sits on hands awhile longer
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, what gets to me is, if we do cut out the cereal-box thingie, then we can't even use the slipcase anymore. I thought it was some kind of work of art collectible that we would want to cherish. Or something. Are you sincerely saying that we're supposed to cut it off and throw the part with Steve's artwork away?

Since all the game info is at the back of the "regular" cover and there is none on the back of this one, it does seem like a likely explanation though. Doesn't look like the slipcover is meant to STAY on the DVD. I'm sure everyone who opens the DVD, turn it around and see that will tear it off as their first reaction :p

Thanks for including cutouts I guess, but wouldn't they have fit on a different piece of paper, cardboard or something? Or, you know they could be downloadable so the people who do want them can print them.

Oh well. At this point I really find it funny more than anything.
  • edited June 2010
    From what I've seen in pictures, the artwork on the slipcover is slightly smaller than the slipcover itself, causing small yet very annoying white borders.
    I'm starting to regret regretting not getting it...
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm not feeling the slipcase. It's pretty much crap.
  • edited June 2010
    This thing sucks. If I wanted cutouts, I'd look on the back of a box of cereal. Thanks, guys. This is the worst special edition ever. I'm going to go splice my troubles away.
  • edited June 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    From what I've seen in pictures, the artwork on the slipcover is slightly smaller than the slipcover itself, causing small yet very annoying white borders.

Yeah, I noticed that when they took the merch pictures. It annoyed me too, and I really wasn't sure what was up with that, since it seemed to me there was no reason for it I mean if it could be made into a poster, it's not too small for the DVD. And if it's a ratio issue, some colour other than white would be less... obvious.
    Now it looks like the back is plain white too, with the cutouts on it of course. Are the sides completely white, Fawful, or is the title written or something?

I'm not quite sure I understand what they were going for there, to be honest.
  • edited June 2010
    Someone should start a thread where we can all cry about it in a more appropriate place. ... someone ...
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Someone should start a thread where we can all cry about it in a more appropriate place. ... someone ...
    It's appropriate enough here :)

Hooray though, I get to make fun of all you suckers who preordered and got the slipcase! Ignoring my Steam purchase, I paid less and got the same thing minus a lame piece of harder-than-paper paper with cutouts and a badle positioned piece of art! (Puzzle Agent discount)

Steve's the real victim here...
  • edited June 2010
    The cut-outs are bizarre. And not in a good way...
    Huh.

Well at least the front looks nice.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure the cut-outs are meant as a joke of sorts... I thought they were pretty cool when I saw the image anyway.

In regards to the art not being the right size, that's quite poor but nevermind - I would have preordered without that.

* I just had another look and it looks ok to me. Sure, it'd be nicer without the border, but it's not like it's uneven or anything. It just isn't living up to people's (increasingly) high expectations.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think the white borders look bad. And I thought the cut-outs were funny. I'm sure they don't actually expect anyone to cut up a collector's item. It's a joke, rather like the flip book and the dress-up game in Surfin' the Highway.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think the white borders look bad. And I thought the cut-outs were funny. I'm sure they don't actually expect anyone to cut up a collector's item. It's a joke, rather like the flip book and the dress-up game in Surfin' the Highway.

Could they maybe keep the jokes inside the package next time? I don't exactly like displaying a bad joke on a shelf.
  • edited June 2010
    Damnit my STANDARD edition still hasn't shipped yet, why? Now I'm starting to get irritated.

Oh and now I find out I can't watch the dvd special features on my TV? [i.e. DVD player]
    Gee that's just swell. : /

: [
  • edited June 2010
    If it's a joke, it's like their horrible ad teaser: probably meant to make fun of something that's terrible, but instead just BEING something that's terrible.
  • edited June 2010
    Could someone confirm whether or not the dvd has cutscene commentaries? Please.

I really want to know.
  • edited June 2010
    eh, i actually like the white border for some reason. and the cut outs... well sure i'm not ever going to cut it out ever, but it doesn't look horrible either.
  • edited June 2010
    Personally I think it [the cutouts] looks like something you'd get from McDonald's... I didn't order the slipcase though, I'm just sayin'.
  • edited June 2010
    Crrash wrote: »
    eh, i actually like the white border for some reason. and the cut outs... well sure i'm not ever going to cut it out ever, but it doesn't look horrible either.

They do look horrible. They look like they forgot to design the back art for the slipcover, and at the last minute, slapped some character screenshots on there and drew dotted lines around it and said "There, no one will care."

I wouldn't care at all, if they had been included as a little slip inside the case, but I think it's horrible to have a slipcover for a DVD case that says absolutely nothing about the product contained within.
  • edited June 2010
    As daft as it sounds, I actually proffered the Laserschwert made poster on here to the official front cover!
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think whoever designed the slipcover should ever be allowed to do so again, especially if the spines don't match the rest of the TTG releases.
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I think it's horrible to have a slipcover for a DVD case that says absolutely nothing about the product contained within.

Iv seen loads of slip covers 4 dvds and books do that I think its comon now.
  • edited June 2010
    why is everyone so upset about the cutouts? If you don't want them don't cut them out. If you do want them just copy them and cut them with cardboard
  • edited June 2010
    hamza721 wrote: »
    why is everyone so upset about the cutouts? If you don't want them don't cut them out. If you do want them just copy them and cut them with cardboard

Because they make it look like a cheap piece of junk.
  • edited June 2010
    I just looked cos I had to now everones talking about it. I think it looks cool I wont cut it out myself cos I wana keep in as is but it does look like fun! I wish I had 2 so I could cut them out.
  • edited June 2010
    hamza721 wrote: »

It's because they're on the cover. They're not inside, no, they're in one of the most obvious places (third, after the spine and front cover). Whether you leave them there or cut them out, they're ruining the slipcase.
    And since I don't like the official cover either...
    Ash735 wrote: »
    As daft as it sounds, I actually proffered the Laserschwert made poster on here to the official front cover!

...yeah, that. I think Laserschwert's cover, with a spine and back to match the other telltale games and some logos added, would be the best cover. If anyone can make that come true I'll be really grateful.
    Which reminds me, I think I saw one of hit the road once that I'd love to use, but it was in German. Does anyone know if there is a version in English?
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Which reminds me, I think I saw one of hit the road once that I'd love to use, but it was in German. Does anyone know if there is a version in English?

http://www.adventure-treff.de/specials/dl_goodies.php
  • edited June 2010
    wait, where can i see the back of the slipcover?
  • edited June 2010
    wait, where can i see the back of the slipcover?

Here:
    I'll post a couple pics. I'm happy to show off. :D

Front

Back
  • edited June 2010
    Oh my god. That is hideous
  • edited June 2010
    I don't really think its that bad. I for one like the normal front cover as well as the slip cover, so I could just chop off that cut-out part and swap between covers. To me, its no big deal.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't really think its that bad. I for one like the normal front cover as well as the slip cover, so I could just chop off that cut-out part and swap between covers. To me, its no big deal.

How dare you? We're on the Internet! Everything is supposed to be a big deal! :p
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    How dare you? We're on the Internet! Everything is supposed to be a big deal! :p

Um, right. My opinion stands, though.
  • edited June 2010
    I took the slipcover off and put it in a drawer. It's a letdown but not a big one.

Problem solved, really.
  • edited June 2010
    Jeez, it looks as though the front cover was so awesome that they had to put something of intense suck on the back to balance it out. Either that or someone realized they forgot to do a back the day before it went to the printers.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.