Monkey Island DVD Never Arriving? [it's shipping now]

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    If that's true, then I'm not sure Telltale understands who the target market for such items really is. Obviously, the majority of people who would buy such optional merchandise at extra cost aren't parents who are going all out in buying tons of pointless game-related memorabilia for their kids. Rather, it's people who love the series and have been following it for years, so then have jumped at the chance of getting first dibs on new collectible items that are designed to remind them fondly of the games they love.

If the extra merch automatically came with the game, then sure they could package it however the heck they want, but if people are going out of their way to pay more, then it would make sense that they expect quality.

It's simple marketing. You have to first know who your target market is for the products/services you sell before you can adjust your strategy accordingly. I don't think they knew exactly who would be buying this stuff and so didn't prepare to make the extras for that market properly.

Yes, you're right, they aren't really good with the target audience, but still I think the merch will definitely give me fond memories of the games. For me, that's valuable enough in itself. To each his own, I guess.
  • edited June 2010
    I have gotten my DVD and was able to check out all the features. Great and hilarious commentaries and all the art and wallpapers are perfect and crisp. The game runs much more faster and there is more detail and animations in many parts. I do have a problem though and it is (for those of you who get angry easily please brace yourself) that many of the bugs are still there. Yes, some have been cleared up, but I can't understand why so many are still left when it has been over six months since the last episode. Even worse is that there are added bugs in areas that didn't have them before. I know to many this is going to infuriate them to no end, but the positives of the DVD greatly outweigh the bad.

Still, there is really no excuse for that at all and I was greatly frustrated when I saw the bugs were still there. Unfortunately, I was also not surprised because I had a feeling that many of the bugs were not going to be fixed. It was still a huge disappointment and I think Telltale really got lazy there. Is the DVD great? Yes. Are the special features top notch? Yes. Was it worth over six months of waiting? No, this DVD should be near flawless for the amount of time it took to ship. At the very least most of the bugs should be cleared out and NONE should be added. I still love everything else about the DVD, it just does not live up to all the hype and the months and months of waiting.
  • edited June 2010
    I'd like to add that I too really like Guru's map.
  • edited June 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    btw, If I hadn't already said so, good job on that Feast for the Senses map, Guru. It looks fricken awesome. Seriously.
    Avistew wrote: »
    I'd like to add that I too really like Guru's map.

Thanks. Some of the credit goes to Didero for helping with the parchment image and TheHutt for discovering the original font used.

But you really used the worst picture of the thing.

DSC02913-1.jpg

For anyone who missed it way back when I did this thing, here's the original thread, and here are the images I used if anyone wants to do their own to add to their box of Tales feelies:

Inside with first course
    Inside with all six courses in smaller font
    Outside with logo
    Outside without logo
  • edited June 2010
    I think the logo on the back look out of place, however it looks empty without it.
    Mmh, can't say I have any suggestion though.

EDIT: ok, maybe having just the outline of the logo, in the same colour as the paths on the map, would look less out of place.
    Although I'd still prefer it without a logo, that breaks the fourth wall :p

Re-EDIT: Maybe a "voodoo lady stamp" would work better, since you get it from her.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, my favorite combination is the blank back with all six senses inside. And your suggestion is interesting, but I pretty much fail at Photoshop (despite the large role it played in my work on the map), so someone else would have to implement the idea.
  • edited June 2010
    The logo plastering I blame solely on Lucasarts. I guarantee they refused to allow much to slip by approval without branding their product name on it. The thing is, to make a quality feelie, it has to look like it came from the game world. That is the entire point of a feelie, to have something "real" from the game world. That is why we like them. That is why we buy them. Nothing in the game world is branded with a huge "Tales of Monkey Island" logo, which is why it makes the feelies subpar compared to the Sam and Max case files.

I was really hoping the map would be more akin to the one that Dragon Age included, sans logo:

IMG_0190jpgscaled1000.jpg?t=1276587433
  • edited June 2010
    Now that's a map. However, there is a logo in the bottom left, but it's very subtle and well done.
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    The logo plastering I blame solely on Lucasarts. I guarantee they refused to allow much to slip by approval without branding their product name on it. The thing is, to make a quality feelie, it has to look like it came from the game world.

I agree on both counts.
  • edited June 2010
    Funny how alot of people are now slating Telltale now they have finally received their orders !

its also funny that pretty much all my original posts have been removed, i thought that kind of action was only taken in Korea .

I still await my orders to be despatched and i feel like thats never going to happen really, even after paying the premium for the deluxe edition twice. (one for me and one for a good friend of mine) .

some of the merchandise looks ok, albeit a little cheap. Im surprised they have not fixed any of these said bugs (although i didnt personally experience any but have read alot of comments from people with them).

im feeling rather deflated and disapointed .
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm, the image I posted doesn't seem to be working anymore, will have to find another one. That's what I get for using Google Images. :p
    mintcake wrote: »
    its also funny that pretty much all my original posts have been removed, i thought that kind of action was only taken in Korea .

Um, you were blatantly insulting forumites with obscenity laden posts, and you're surprised that they deleted them?
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm, the image I posted doesn't seem to be working anymore, will have to find another one. That's what I get for using Google Images. :p

Um, you were blatantly insulting forumites with obscenity laden posts, and you're surprised that they deleted them?

whatever happened to freedom of speach? sigh!
  • edited June 2010
    whatever happened to freedom of speach? sigh!

You're not free to make derogatory posts on a message board that you don't control, especially not one where children might be reading it.
  • edited June 2010
    You're not free to make derogatory posts on a message board that you don't control, especially not one where children might be reading it.

Yeah, he shouldn't be making derogatory posts anyways. People can voice their opinion, but not in that way.
  • edited June 2010

rrriiiiggghhht!

it was not that bad really was it, and if a child had read it I highly doubt they would truely understand it as there was barely many insults more of a rant about the order.

like I said a moment ago its funny how peole are now slating but had nothing but love previously.

Oh well guess im still resigned to waiting, give it another month and will end up ranting again.
  • edited June 2010
    All I want is the order so I can spend a whole evening enjoying monkey island and lots of beer.

End!
  • edited June 2010
    oh and have a look at the tags at the bottom of the page..........i think you will find far more than what i said in my posts that would be definately something you wouldnt want a child to read.
  • edited June 2010
    oh and have a look at the tags at the bottom of the page..........i think you will find far more than what i said in my posts that would be definately something you wouldnt want a child to read.

I hereby forgive you for making me laugh....kinda.
  • edited June 2010
    I hereby forgive you for making me laugh....kinda.

was it the doughnuts tag? i am actually offended by doughnuts.

but thanks.
  • edited June 2010
    The slipcover is the same as shown on the website and people thought it was awesome then. I don't understand why people are furious at the cutouts because if you cut that off, then you have the memoirs on the back like every other Monkey Island Cover. You can just slip the cut out cover into the plastic and there you go.
    I don't think so. Here is the one shown on the site:

a_offer.png

I feel like people are going to think this is a self-glorifying post, but I think it is more likely people skipped over it and it makes a good point. In my opinion :D
  • edited June 2010
    I know this is a little late to bring this up but the people complaining about paying $15 extra for the deluxe and are complaining that it looks awful with the cut outs, that is not the only thing you spent the extra 15 on. That extra 15 also goes towards the coin, map, coaster, button and voodoo card when you divide the extra among all those you are really only pay $2.50 extra for the slipcover itself.
  • edited June 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    I know this is a little late to bring this up but the people complaining about paying $15 extra for the deluxe and are complaining that it looks awful with the cut outs, that is not the only thing you spent the extra 15 on. That extra 15 also goes towards the coin, map, coaster, button and voodoo card when you divide the extra among all those you are really only pay $2.50 extra for the slipcover itself.

Unless you pre-ordered the game then the slipcover it self is a free bonus item.
  • edited June 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    If you pre-ordered, add 50 cents to every single item's cost, because there was no discount on this item for pre-order customers that were already promised the slipcover and still ordered the "Deluxe" package. Now, let's look at those other valuable items, shall we?

Coin: Crap, it has a logo plastered on the back.
    Map: Crap, it's centered on a damn kerchief.
    Coaster: Seems fine, possibly logo on the other side considering precedent
    Button: Fine
    Card: Completely unseen, could be fine.

SO let's be generous and say the bottom three items are surely 100% perfect. They may even defy expectations! That's still $5 per item. And "Only $2.50" is ridiculous when the last two sets of feelies done by Telltale were FIVE DOLLARS. During half-off sales, I have bought a Season Two case file for $2.50. When this is of a far lesser presentation, value, and simple quality than those far more insignificant purchases, I think something has gone wrong.
  • edited June 2010
    I can see why people don't like the map, but I really don't understand why the logo on the back of the coin is upsetting.
  • edited June 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    I can see why people don't like the map, but I really don't understand why the logo on the back of the coin is upsetting.

Do coins in the Monkey Island world come plastered with a "Tales of Monkey Island" logo on them? That is why it is upsetting. It's like if they made a Guybrush action figure, and he had the logo tattooed on his face.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe it doesn't bother me because I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised because it's been in the concept picture for the treasure chest the entire time. Go here, click on the "View Larger" link under the treasure chest. Scroll over to the pic of the coin, and it shows the front and the back including the logo.

That picture has been there since the pre-order started. Those that are surprised that there's a logo apparently didn't look at the pictures before they placed their order. Again, I can see why people don't like the map, but the coin looks exactly the way it was advertised.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe it doesn't bother me because I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised because it's been in the concept picture for the treasure chest the entire time. Go here, click on the "View Larger" link under the treasure chest. Scroll over to the pic of the coin, and it shows the front and the back including the logo.

Yes, it does. Honestly, I don't remember that screen at all. Was it even there when I preordered on the 11th or March? I can't be sure now.
    Either way, I said before that the coin having a logo was more of an after kind of thing. When I saw the slipcase and map, I looked at the items more. If it had just been the coin, I probably would have been okayish with it. I mean, it's still disappointing that it's not a "real" piece of 8, but if you only look at the other side it looks okay at least.
  • edited June 2010
    Now that we're finally (!) close to seeing the Deluxe Edition shipped I just hope that they pack it well. If this overpriced item with this kind of shipping costs doesn't arrive in pristine condition I'll be pissed...
  • edited June 2010
    Was it even there when I preordered on the 11th or March? I can't be sure now.

I remember looking at those pics when the pre-order was announced, and they haven't changed since then.
  • edited June 2010
    I remember looking at those pics when the pre-order was announced, and they haven't changed since then.

Okay, since I honestly can't remember I'll trust you on that one. I guess the coin is the way they advertised it. You can't deny that the map and slipcase are different, though.

It's just hard to think that for the price of 3 Sam&Max case files I'd get that, you know?
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, since I honestly can't remember I'll trust you on that one. I guess the coin is the way they advertised it. You can't deny that the map and slipcase are different, though.

It's just hard to think that for the price of 3 Sam&Max case files I'd get that, you know?

Like I said, I can understand the map. The slipcase doesn't bother me so much, but I do agree that it doesn't look like the concept picture.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the map. I'm either going to get an artist friend of mine to do something with the white space, or I'm going to cut the white space off.

Although, I might just paint black around the map a bit and then cover the rest of the white in a frame, as I was planning on framing it anyway.
  • edited June 2010
    TTG should cut the white parts out b4 they ship since its getting bad feedback
  • edited June 2010
    Since the Deluxe was $2,- cheaper than getting original with shipping, I suppose I really can't complain too much, since it's basically free stuff for me.

But yeah, the border of the map looks bad. I really hope that's not the final product.
    Aside from that; earlier poster; could you give a few more details about the bugs removed/kept/added?
    (And it does feature 101 Earl Boen, no?)
  • edited June 2010
    If it's not the final products, I think it was a bad idea for them to show them. I mean, I cancelled my order after seeing the blog post.
  • edited June 2010
    Or, if it wasn't the way they'd appear when they showed up, they should have(and I think would have) said "Disclaimer: These are not final. The stuff you get in the mail WON'T look like crap."
  • edited June 2010
    What is the coin made of anyway? It better not be plastic...
  • edited June 2010

chocolate!
  • edited June 2010
    My Standard Edition still hasn't shipped yet. I'm thinking about contacting customer support.

There are entire episode commentaries with most of the major project leaders, including Ryan Jones, Dave Grossman, Mark Darin, etc.

They're very cool; they're probably my favorite thing on the DVD.

Thank you very much.
  • edited June 2010

Solid metal. It's pretty nice and heavy from what I've heard. Better than originally thought even.

I still don't understand all the tears. I'm getting what I payed for and the folks at telltale worked hard to put this all together. *shrug*
  • edited June 2010

I imagine it will be like the Soul Train token from the Sam and Max Season 2 case file, which was made out of real metal of some kind and looked really nice.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.